Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! (9744 Views)

My Hp 250 Laptop Is Very Slow Help!!! / Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / My Network Is Very Slow Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Jackal(m): 1:28am On Sep 11, 2007
@ adrian5,

A lot has been said already but i think u should get WEBROOT'S WINDOW WASHER software.
It has a BLEACH accessory that washes ur laptop everytime u restart.
This cleans up deleted files, saves space on ur HARD DRIVE and boosts the overall speed of ur system.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by na2day2(m): 1:31am On Sep 11, 2007
all these road side mechanics wey full this forum, na wa! make una dey suggest all the software wey dey the world ooooo. this lecture we don give the guy e don do. bros if u still get wahala, no buy christmas clothe/goat/chicken/rice, go buy new laptop make we hear word.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Elgaxton(m): 7:45am On Sep 11, 2007
@poster!

Ur system could be infected, if ur norton antivirus is not up to date then u are in trouble sooo just uninstall if u cant update it and install NOD32.

I tell u, u'll definitely catch some viruses in that system of urs with NOD32, I know its infected cos U do use a flash drive right?

If u want Nod32 U can mail me, elgaxton@gmail.com!

Kpele o it can be annoying! when a Pentium M behaving like an x86 system
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Emad(f): 8:15am On Sep 11, 2007
adrian5:

But why do i feel u fly around on a broom, hate water and girls called Dorothy grin
Oupsssss
but then you're not too far off, cool
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by mimiko(f): 1:19pm On Sep 11, 2007
re there witches on nairaland?
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Emad(f): 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2007
who said what about Witches?? shocked shocked
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by RichDad1(m): 4:14pm On Sep 11, 2007
mimiko:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by na2day2(m): 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2007
how did fixing a laptop turn to a witch hunt? nigerians, una too much, haba! shocked shocked shocked shocked

mimiko:

Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Emad(f): 10:16am On Sep 12, 2007
;d
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by rubie(f): 1:47pm On Sep 12, 2007
I think I know why your laptop is so slow = it has eaten lots of snails or it is a snail on it's own.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by theffanyi(m): 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2007
grin[rubie] look @ what u mailed, snail,snail,snail everywhere,so much that some are falling off ur tail grin

Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by MP007(m): 9:07am On Sep 13, 2007
virus, duh! too much download , no spam, geez, internet just sucks, thats the way they designed computers .so that u will keep buyin and buyin
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by dakmanzero(m): 11:42am On Sep 14, 2007
dont be stupid

why would microsoft go thru so much wahala to put money into the pockets of norton and intel?

its like saying the WHO created aids, cough and cold so that people would keep on buying drugs.

viruses are a natural result of the free and open internet, and the free and open PC. whenever you get freedom you lose security. If you value your security you must opt for little or no freedom (buy a mac) or take control of your own destiny and stop relying on bill gates (get LINUX).

if u cant do either, then stick with windows and keep upgrading your antivirus. either way its not like they are forcing you to do anything.

mac users = rich kids with daddy to take care of everything, stuck in the family business
windows users = employees with cushy jobs that will never be rich but are fine as long as they keep making BIG BILL rich
LINUX USERS= SELF MADE MILLIONAIRES!!!!!
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by koladz(m): 12:14pm On Sep 14, 2007
The first thing I would look at is processes running within Program Manager. Also, have you added hardware or software just before this slowdown started? Do you run the Defrag' utility regularily, doing an 'anaylze' to check if it is needed or do you have 'Defrag' set to run at a specific time? There are several possibilities.

This can also be a memory issue. As a computer ages and contains more and more files, the MFT (Master file table) grows and grows, and more memory is required for the MFT, which decreases the amount of memory available for applications.

When I get major slowdowns to look at, what I do is:
(1) run something like Ad Aware to clear out any malware
(2) run disk cleanup and defrag the hard drive
(3) give it a three-finger salute and look at running processes. If there is anything there that I don't recognise, or which looks suss, I google it and see if it is malware (some requires a heavier blow than your antivirus or antimalware program can deliver). There's often an on-line solution to this kind of nasty.
(4) I also look at how busy the CPU is -- sometimes a service can be trying to initialise and repeatedly failing, and heavy CPU usage when you are not doing very much with the computer could be a clue. Event Log will sometimes show you where a problem is occurring.
(5) panic
(6) if there is an occasional warning about virtual memory, I reset the virtual memory to have the computer manage virtual memory rather than set a minimum and maximum
(7) reinstall the entire system.

I have seen add-ons like Yahoo or Google search tools mess up internet access, but am unsure whether they also mess up system speed; I have also seen computers slow down quite dramatically when running MS Office, with PowerPoint likely to be a particular offender, but that was more of a problem with version 97 than with more recent versions.

Occasionally there can be intermittent hardware problems, so, if everything else fails to solve the problem, you may have a bad connexion to the hard drive or a failing CD drive which keeps trying to start up.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by theffanyi(m): 12:22pm On Sep 14, 2007
after all this LONG SPEECHES,if it cotinues to mess up,[dont hessitate to take it to a BIBLE BELIEVEING CHURCH FOR DELIVERANCE.] cool

Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by gayman(m): 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2007
your laptop is slow because of the speed memorry is low,but i can make it fast for you by upgrading it with a high speed memorry,am at ikeja,computer village lagos give me a call 07030696409 and i will fix it for you
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by oybv101: 6:25pm On Sep 16, 2007
whatever you do, pls do not listen to the above quack. tongue
its people like that that make me hate pc village. . .
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by FactorChic(f): 8:39pm On Sep 17, 2007
u got too much Indecency on it, that's why it's slow cheesy
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Sobola75(f): 11:58am On Sep 18, 2007
Check most of the programmes that run at your system start up and probably increase the RAM an repair your XP.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Ikiriye(m): 3:26am On Sep 20, 2007
boy remove any AVP (anti virus) plz use kaspersky,it is d best and very lite on system and update your ram.defragment ur hard disk 2 and see performance.cheers man
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by bukegzy(f): 3:58pm On Sep 20, 2007
why cant u change your ISP or u get a good anti-virus, like Mcafe, Ad-aware, Solo anti-virus etc,
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by na2day2(m): 1:25am On Sep 21, 2007
@ dakmanzero

microsoft goes thro that wahala to give their 3rd party s/w and h/w companies money in the pocket. it is called business. thats why they keep supporting microsoft and microsoft keeps growing despite they got the worst O/S on the planet.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by dakmanzero(m): 8:49am On Sep 21, 2007
Nope. that is NOT correct.

by the same logic you would say that the world health organization deliberately allows disease to spread in order to make money for the pharmaceutical companies.

There is a reason Microsoft has kept clear of the whole virus business, its because of the likes of you. When their hand was finally forced and they had to get in on it to save face, their offerings were free. Remember the whole furore over windows defender and microsoft onecare? It is nontrivial for MS to make money off their products' misgivings.

Look at the extent to which they went to make vista secure, almost breaking all of the functionality in the process and making the OS undesirable and a headache for most users. If they really wanted to make money off viruses, they would never have done that, or released SP2 which almost made the whole virus problem moot save brontok and friends.

The point is that viruses exist as a self-perpetuating problem and the companies making money off managing the problem have enough of a task on their hands that they dont need to escalate the problem. Norton etc can be guilty of scaremongering and overhyping the threat posed by viruses, but they do NOT perpetuate the stuff.

MS software is porous only because it has to support so many hardware manufacturers, and so many configurations. It is simply a fact of life.

linux is more secure because it gives more control to the user and is more open and 'manual' in its configuration. As a downside it is difficult for a newbie to use and a headache to configure for daily activities.

MAC is more streamlined because apple has total control over the hardware. Its not rocket science, any OS company can make a rock solid OS once they control the hardware. Even MS did so with the xbox360 which is so far virus free and hack proof. All the old-school home computers like the BBC and the commodore 64 had OS that were made by the hardware manudfacturers so the user did not even know they existed.

Dont spread conspiracy theories. I'm sure you think osama bin laden is on George Bush's payroll
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by na2day2(m): 3:48am On Sep 22, 2007
@ dakmanzero

e bi like say u carry vex enter this topic but make i clear ur doubts. number 1, osama is under bush payroll, or how else can the guy speak good english. grin grin grin

to the matter at hand: i hope u read and understood what i wrote, MS dont write the virus (not impossible for them to do) but they make the most insecured OS ever in the name of user friendliness, that their 3rd party boys can make their own money. why on earth ppl dont write much s/w or h/w support for linux/Mac ? simple answer in wat u wrote, CONTROL.
but let me burst ur bubble. according to security release this month, tiger was the 2nd most flawed system after vista. mac got plenty of hacks, from the current problems they are dealing with in safari, to quicktime flaws, to their bluetooth vunerabilites, ipv6 flaws, flaws in the airport cards etc(for those of u that decided to run vista using parallels on ur mac, u know the problems u started facing, security wise, hmmm, i wonder why embarassed ) . but the difference between apple and ms, they take their biz a little more seriously than MS. vista was hacked the very 1st wk release; if u belong to reasonable IRCs u will have found easy flaws that u can take advantage of. and yes, MS is really interested in the virus biz, otherwise they wont have made part with eset which recorded a high success with nod32. i talked to one of the regional rep of MS the other day in one of our meetings, telling him flaws of many code flow flaws on the new vista b4 the release and the guy was so speechless, it took the amd and hp guys to help him out. i could go on and on and on, but somethings i cant say in a public forum for my job sake but brother, seek and thou shall find; when it comes to MS vista, thou will find plenty( dont get me wrong, the concept of vista is great, and if u knw what u r doing, u can turn it to a bad ass OS but how many users know what they are doing? ). as for the 360, i hope u are only joking, because that son of a gun has been hacked till kingdom come. now hacking doesnt mean a bad thing but ppl have misrepresented it to the general public. i know some boys from TI and the things they have done to the xbox360, na only God go forgive them. grin grin grin anywayz, like i said, seek and u shall find. u can write a virus easily for the 360 urself but it is not a point of interest for the many zoo coders out there; just giving u a heads up bro.

now for the linux side of life. na who tell u that u have to knw linux to use it. there a tons of distros out there that dont need u to know jack apart from click, next, click, next, click, i have held back the temptations of dropping urls here to lead u to various sites without getting myself burnt but at least i can drop this known site for any one that is interested in using linux for just abt anything, gaming pc, media center boxes(i am currently building my new media center box so i can test the new linuxmce, and then i can kick out my MSmce that is dont performing my tivoing dreams as i want it to grin ). www.distrowatch.com, that sites hold some good distros and u can get into linux without the scare. iight bro, i don tire, hunger wan kill me, make i go wack. lata.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by yimiton(f): 10:20am On Sep 24, 2007
I use an HP Presario V2000. I noticed that after I downloaded Adobe Readers 7.0, it became very slow. I had to remove it immediately and noticed that it came back to normal speed.
Could Adobe actually have been the reason for the speed decrease or was it just coincedental?

Can a burnt power adapter be repaired? I already got another one but reluctant to throw away the original one.
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by dakmanzero(m): 12:09pm On Sep 24, 2007
@na2day

make i no start with u or we go turn this thread to something else.

'reasonable irc's' 'code flow flaws' 'TI guys hacked 360 to hell and back', PUHLEAZE. You sound like a wannabe slashbot already.

Its easy to sound like a 'leet haxor' but u need to do more than blowing smoke out of your ar$e. If you know what ur talking about make we commot go a more free forum (not nairaland where they can ban you for talking about PSP firmware) make we yarn.

MS makes windows buggy by design = ridiculous conspiracy theory
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by na2day2(m): 2:54pm On Sep 24, 2007
wanna gini? i too old for that crap! but if u get forum wey dey good, i am open to going to any1 of them and yes we both can share forums we visit and learn but to begin prove myself to u, i am too old for that.

dakmanzero:

@na2day

make i no start with u or we go turn this thread to something else.

'reasonable irc's' 'code flow flaws' 'TI guys hacked 360 to hell and back', PUHLEAZE. You sound like a wannabe slashbot already.

Its easy to sound like a 'leet haxor' but u need to do more than blowing smoke out of your ar$e. If you know what your talking about make we commot go a more free forum (not nairaland where they can ban you for talking about PSP firmware) make we yarn.

MS makes windows buggy by design = ridiculous conspiracy theory
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Ralvy(m): 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2007
@poster;

I haven't seen ur system specification any where
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by yahuze(f): 4:18pm On Apr 03, 2008
I was crazy when i saw it , i paid them and it was not just cheap they shipped the laptop directly to me here in nigeria, though i paid a good price for the shipping.The laptop is factory refurbished , but my question is why do i have to go that far to get a refurbished laptop, why dont hey do that in nigeria. I think they still have some varieties of the laptop available.you may check it out on www.realcomputervillage.com
Re: Why Is My Laptop So Slow? Help! by Koolwilly(m): 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2008
If your computer is more than a year or two old, you may notice that it is running much slower than it did in the days of its youth. The first culprit we think of in such a situation is spyware and adware, Get help on, http://softsupportonline..com/2008/07/when-starting-up-slows-you-down.html
cheesy smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unlock Smile Mifi Anyone? / My Next Door Has A Wireless Network But Protected With A Wep Key / Simple Trick To Keep Your Flash Drive Virus Proof.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.