Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? (5426 Views)

Tell Me About Your Culture? What Do We Have In Common? / Declining Interest In Nigerian Culture! What Is Responsible? / The Ultimate Human Culture. What Do You Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by RickyRoss1(m): 6:47pm On Oct 09, 2011
In my Opinion the OSU caste system in Igbo land MUST be ABOLISHED. I hate the way we treat our own brothers and sisters in the name of old faceless tradition. As someone who is widely traveled, I will be offended for a white person to call me black monkey, in the same vein, its totally wrong to label anyone or group of persons as OUTCASTS

Mind you, I am a freeborn from a royal family, but during village meetings and stuffs the way our people treat these so called Osu is totally unacceptable.

I have asked some of my uncles the meaning of Osu, each person has a different version of the story to give which is very very confusing. WE DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHT TO CALL ANYONE OSU, THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY SHOULD STAND UP AND ABOLISH THIS SHIIT,
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by okeyxyz(m): 8:59pm On Oct 09, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

OP
I would change the inferior complexity that many black men have.

hmm, interesting. pls explain?
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by okeyxyz(m): 9:13pm On Oct 09, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Polygamy in America is bad too and the youngest girl introduced to marriage is 11 years old. 
Polygamy initially were practiced by Muslims but other religions have adopted the polygamous lifestyle i.e. Mormons.

wrong & wrong.
the issue on your first line is forced marriage, not polygamy. u can't blame polygamy because an 11yr old is forced to marry. it'a absolute rubbish to abolish polygamy if  two\more adults agree agree to marry.

on the 2nd line, polygamy has existed long long b4 islam. our fore-fathers have been polygamous long b4 christianity & islam. in fact polygamy seems to be the most authentic practice b4 modern culture. i still support it as long as nobody is being forced.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by freecocoa(f): 11:12pm On Oct 09, 2011
I'd gladly change the OSU system,its so annoying that one can't marry from these group and you need to see the ones from my place(they are the finest in my village)
Polygamy must go to the bottomless pit.
Equal right amongst everyone(cos the older ones abuse the power)imagine you must not talk back to or fight your elder no matter what he did to you,if you do you will be fined even before the case is judged.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by stephenponti(m): 1:30am On Oct 10, 2011
i certaily ll change
1 the exobitant cost & protocols of getting maried traditionaly & legally to igbo ladies, it resuls in average igbo men marring lately.
2.the materialistic mindset & acquisition of igbo men {a typical average igbo man's vision is house, car & wife} @ the expense of intellectual inlightenment & visionary legacy for great posterity.
3 the preference of igbo parents for their sons to go for apperentice & learn business @ d expence of education, though its changing gradually.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by NnamdiN: 6:17am On Oct 10, 2011
yeah d osu thing has to go, I'm currently kinda in love with "one"(I would never introduce her to my parents,else I'd b disowned by d entire village not only ma folks)
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2011
NnamdiN:

yeah d osu thing has to go, I'm currently kinda in love with "one"(I would never introduce her to my parents,else I'd b disowned by d entire village not only ma folks)
This is really disheartening. sad
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 10, 2011
I will love to change, the worship of strange gods and the osu caste system especially in my hometown if given the power.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by Amujale(m): 12:42am On Oct 11, 2011
Strides:

I will love to change, the worship of strange gods...

Funny enough thats my wish too. But the strange gods i'm refering to are the one my brothers and sisters are losing their identities over.

A rogue of the night robbs a particular family and kills as many in sight before living with their loot; now the same robber returns in the morning talking to the same household about some form of mystism that the household must accept or bad things would happen to them.

What would be your advice to such a family?
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:23am On Oct 11, 2011
See people mentioning Osu lol. . Well, the topic did say IF.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by okeyxyz(m): 2:07am On Oct 11, 2011
Amujale:

Funny enough thats my wish too. But the strange gods i'm refering to are the one my brothers and sisters are losing their identities over.

A rogue of the night robbs a particular family and kills as many in sight before living with their loot; now the same robber returns in the morning talking to the same household about some form of mystism that the household must accept or bad things would happen to them.

r u by any chance talking about christianity\islam?

1 Like

Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by Afam4eva(m): 2:49am On Oct 11, 2011
@stephenponti
I think the Igbo apprentiship scheme should continue. It has saved millions of lives. I just think a little more education should go with it. Mind you going to school is not everything especially the dirty kind of education that's available in Nigeria.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by rabzy: 8:53am On Oct 11, 2011
Wow, so this Osu thing is still very strong, i first knew about the issue in checkmate, i never knew it is still very much in force. I think wedding in the east is 'too traditional', its so hard to have your way when the whole village wants to have a say.

Well i don't care what tribe or outcast clan i marry from, if me and the woman jell and some people are so bent unreasonably to break us, i will just bone everybody.

It takes just 7,500 to register for marriage in Ikeja registry, then you pay an additional 2,500. Patapata 15000 naira, both of us don be de dat.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by NnamdiN: 8:26pm On Oct 11, 2011
^^it's not so easy bro, I'm the first child, first son nd next in line after my dad, should I jeopardize the future of our unborn generation because I fell in love with an "osu"? If I had my way, I would stick to her but I just can't risk it. The only solution to that osu thing lies in us(the upcoming/would be elders of the land) a lotta youths these days don't give a hoot about our silly tradition(it's a plus). I really have a strong feeling "we" would abolish it properly when the time comes. Ohaneze or whatever they call themselves "theoretically" abolished it sometime ago but we would know how serious they are when they let their sons n daughters marry the "outcasts"
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:34pm On Oct 11, 2011
abolish polygaymy, child-marriage, senseless mass-murder of goats (and humans), female circumcision and other such evil islamic practices.

1 Like

Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by Amujale(m): 12:23am On Oct 12, 2011
okeyxyz:

r u by any chance talking about christianity\islam?

Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by OneNaira6: 2:34am On Oct 13, 2011
If I have my way i'll abolish the OSU caste system
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by simplymary: 8:56am On Oct 17, 2011
The need to give an elder something with my right hand/both hands or the need to bow in the presence of an elder. I don't think it's necessary. I'd rather be honored as an elder by being genuinely appreciated in a way that's not commonplace than to be just expect both hands during a hand shake or be bowed to.
Re: If You Could Change Something About Your Culture What Would It Be? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 17, 2011
simplymary:

The need to give an elder something with my right hand/both hands or the need to bow in the presence of an elder. I don't think it's necessary. I'd rather be honored as an elder by being genuinely appreciated in a way that's not commonplace than to be just expect both hands during a hand shake or be bowed to.
What shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun Police Not Aware Of Bench Warrant Of Arrest Against Oluwo / The Wedding Cake / History Of Nupe People Of Niger State - 'briefly'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.