Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,664 members, 7,816,704 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. (2422 Views)

Engineers In The House, Let's Discuss. / Are Technicians Better Than Engineers In Nigeria? / Qualified Chartered Accountants In Here..pls Help The 2013 ICAN Aspirants!!!. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 1:26am On Oct 10, 2011
Hi, to all Practicing Female Engineers in here, share your Experience.

Am a practicing Petroleum Engineer, Lets keep this Thread alive.

BRB
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 10, 2011
If you also a Female Engineernot practising or you know someone who is not, feel free to come, discuss, learn about our role in this modern world.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by yamakuza: 11:38pm On Dec 27, 2011
Where una dey?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by okeyz(m): 9:17am On Dec 30, 2011
^^^ probably in the kitchen, engineering some delicacies kiss
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by yamakuza: 1:49pm On Dec 30, 2011
^ Or trading forex, or discussing politics?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by okeyz(m): 1:49pm On Jan 04, 2012
eh? e don reach like that ? shocked
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 05, 2012
okeyz:

^^^ probably in the kitchen, engineering some delicacies kiss

grin grin grin its not easy o, combining both.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by yamakuza: 6:39pm On Jan 09, 2012
Vikin:

Hey guys, this is not beer parlour o. U berra start calling all da female engineers wia una hide them instead of trying to sell goats in this thread.

What do you have in store for them?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 09, 2012
I have a lot for them, want to share my own story too. Not easy but doable. Mixing personal life with the challenges in the Industry. Besides, if ya wife is one, bring her here.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
Hmmmm, so its politics and romance dem all on! I think I like your strategy.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 10, 2012
kitchen engineer representing here grin
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Sijo01(f): 12:40am On Jan 10, 2012
Lol@naijababe, slemyim &freecocoa.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by yamakuza: 9:52pm On Jan 10, 2012
It is hereby official that there are only 2 female engineers on NL!

The op and others.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 11, 2012
@yem, lol, @topic, am interested in the kitchen Engineering, while we wait for other to join. How we fix stuff like the cabinet(Construction), the plumbing work if the Man of the house is busy else where, function testing some Kitchen equipment when they are faulty so we know what the problem is and how to solve it even if it means involving third party. Where are the Kitchen Engineers?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by kittykat1(f): 6:47pm On Jan 13, 2013
Didn't know such a thread existed. Reporting.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by dominique(f): 8:38pm On Jan 13, 2013
yamakuza:
It is hereby official that there are only 2 female engineers on NL!

The op and others.

Rofl cheesy.
I'm sure they're out there somewhere, maybe don't come to this board. Op try career section wink.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by NoQualms1(f): 9:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
I'm a female Engineer, not practising yet.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by tpia5: 10:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
nwando/babyosisi is definitely an engineer, and also a doctor,not to mention some other professions which she'll reveal later as her time permits.

@ whom it may concern, who is checking nl to verify her status.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 18, 2013
Okey and yamakuzu, you guys derailed this thread and later sent it to the food section..... cheesy, you have to write an apology letter.

Back to topic,

Welcome back, I have even forgotten about this thread, but we have to discuss the challenges we face in the industry. We were 8 female graduates in my class but only 3 are practicing.

How can we handle the challenges of combining the job with family lives?

How can we handle the challenges of chauvinism in the industry?

All these and more to come.

smiley
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 9:10am On Jan 18, 2013
tpia@:
nwando/babyosisi is definitely an engineer, and also a doctor,not to mention some other professions which she'll reveal later as her time permits.

@ whom it may concern, who is checking nl to verify her status.

Thanks tpia,

Will go looking for her to know where she stands!
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 18, 2013
kitty kat: Didn't know such a thread existed. Reporting.

Hey kitty kat!whats your discipline?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 18, 2013
No Qualms: I'm a female Engineer, not practising yet.

What you waiting for? Don't tell me is what am thinking.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by kittykat1(f): 10:14am On Jan 18, 2013
Studied elect/elect.

Worked as drilling service Engineer

I am now an Entrepreneur in d oil sector. My company is into servicing. We r still newbies o.
Vikin:

Hey kitty kat!whats your discipline?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by kittykat1(f): 10:20am On Jan 18, 2013
Since this is a Nigerian thread, I ill also add some challenges faced as a female engineer in Nigeria. How do w handle the challenge of being looked as some freaks of nature by people in the society because we are females doing a supposedly male job
Vikin: Okey and yamakuzu, you guys derailed this thread and later sent it to the food section..... cheesy, you have to write an apology letter.

Back to topic,

Welcome back, I have even forgotten about this thread, but we have to discuss the challenges we face in the industry. We were 8 female graduates in my class but only 3 are practicing.

How can we handle the challenges of combining the job with family lives?

How can we handle the challenges of chauvinism in the industry?

All these and more to come.

smiley
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 18, 2013
kitty kat: Since this is a Nigerian thread, I ill also add some challenges faced as a female engineer in Nigeria. How do w handle the challenge of being looked as some freaks of nature by people in the society because we are females doing a supposedly male job

I remember when I was still starting the new job, the company was mobilizing for a job, I had ordered the loading of some equipment on the trucks, but unfortunately I noticed that one of the eye pads on an equipment had a wrong color code....and the truck was already outside waiting to go. As a newbie, my supervisor then asked me to go paint it to the right color code ( all trying to know I will react).,, you ned to see me climbing the truck like a monkey in the supposedly busy trans Amadi axis with a small paint bucket and a brush.

All those bike men( when phc still had bikes) where just laughing and the same time amazed. I no send any person o, at the end they pay my money..

I climbed the truck o, painted the eye pads, confirm again the others before I jumped off. cheesy

So many funny stories.

I stayed in the base for maintenance for six months before going to the field, while the guys stayed just for 2 months.

This is one of the things we face!
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by kittykat1(f): 11:47am On Jan 18, 2013
I can relate to that working in the North African desert. By the country's laws female citizens are not allowed to work on the rigs. So ppl like us are imported to fill up the gender equalization quota.

First we fly from the town to the desert on rickety planes which are in worse condition than Dana flying coffin. Usually I am d only female on such journeys. Its part scary and part exciting. Everyman looks at me with awe, curiosity and something else that I don't know. Whn we arrive, we drive like 6 hours to the rig site with the desert sands all around. I travel in a 4x4 SUV with only Men some with turbans and bushy beards ( very Osama looking). Finally we arrive and the story goes around the rig site that there is a lady and she is foreign. As I walk around in my overize overalls and oversize boots,( the oversize is cos my small is usually not available) you see them peering, poitning and laffing at me. Let me stop here abeg. The whole experience was alays overwhelming- scary and exciting. I always felt like some exotic zoo creature cos of the way I was treated. Like u Vikin, I had to do my promotions six months later than d guys who I even tutor on what to do on the rig. These guys after their promotions still have issues wwhich I am called to troubleshoot for them. For my first promotion, another manager had to report my manager to the OPs manager and argue that I was over qauilified. I struggled to be allowed to lead jobs.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by NoQualms1(f): 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
Vikin:

What you waiting for? Don't tell me is what am thinking.

lol, I don't know what you are thinking o. I'm still searching for a job.

Interesting experiences there, Vikin and kitty kat. I've heard a lot about these discriminations but I never knew they are this pronounced, prolly that's why I've not been able to secure a job, lol..
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by maryini(f): 9:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
hi ladies,

I am a chemical engineer about to start work as a project engineer. your comments on the discrimination female engineers face are disheartening. Is this what i hope to meet when i start? sad
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
maryini: hi ladies,

I am a chemical engineer about to start work as a project engineer in exxonmobil. your comments on the discrimination female engineers face are disheartening. Is this what i hope to meet when i start? sad

Don't worry! They treat you nice if you know your stuff.

You have to see yourself as a man and do the job you are supposed to do. As a project engineer in Exxon, you will be trained to the required task!

All the best! Remember, if they can do it, you can too.
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by maryini(f): 10:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
Vikin:

Don't worry! They treat you nice if you know your stuff.

You have to see yourself as a man and do the job you are supposed to do. As a project engineer, you will be trained to the required task!

All the best! Remember, if they can do it, you can too.

Thank you....

Think of myself as a guy ...in terms of what?
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Feb 05, 2013
maryini:

Thank you....

Think of myself as a guy ...in terms of what?

In terms of the job, if you are out in the field, dress smart. If given a technical task, don't try and look for the guys to help you do it etc
Re: All Practicing Female Engineers: In Here Pls. by maryini(f): 11:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
Vikin:

In terms of the job, if you are out in the field, dress smart. If given a technical task, don't try and look for the guys to help you do it etc

lol...who does that?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil And Gas Trainings And Certificate That Brings Job (www.oiltrain.org) / Anyone Heard Of The Nlng Scholarship Shortlist / From Medicine To Finance: Looking For A Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.