Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,690 members, 7,813,278 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? (52773 Views)

Who Did I Offend? / I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / How A UNILAG Lecturer Pestered A Married Woman For Sex - Wale Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 4:50pm On Jul 30, 2023
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2023
It's not too much
Always know your worth and don't sell yourself cheap

307 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2023
Battlefield2:
It's not too much
Always know your worth and don't sell yourself cheap

I would have charged them more self but because she said the child already knows sounds and in that school I know they teach sounds very well from kinder level, so I felt the work is reduced a bit and I'll only need to do blends and move up to word building and reading.

Some parents don't know our value and this stage is where the major work is. I didn't charge them at all.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by slimjohn2k5: 5:24pm On Jul 30, 2023
You would have done your own assessment before charging.

What if she pay you 50k and the child head na block?

183 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Depriest2020: 6:59pm On Jul 30, 2023
It's not about charging high fees like schools in Abuja, but will you deliver after receiving payment.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:01pm On Jul 30, 2023
slimjohn2k5:
You would have done your own assessment before charging.

What if she pay you 50k and the child head na block?
Lol... @block.

See, no matter how dull a child is, if I handle that child, the brain go correct. I have handled the worst slow learners that their parents were asking me how I did it. A particular boys mother asked her nanny how I do it that she should be watching me whenever I'm taking the boy so she can show them the method I use but the nanny said I should not tell them. She said they've tried different techniques and method, still the boy could not read or get his sums right until I was recommended to them by another parent whom I handled their son who had same issue. I just laughed.

I can handle any child as long as the pay is right. They'll end up getting cheap labor with no results. Waste of money.

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by weslay: 7:11pm On Jul 30, 2023
It's not too much. She is not only paying for your time but also for your experience.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:11pm On Jul 30, 2023
Depriest2020:
It's not about charging high fees like schools in Abuja, but will you deliver after receiving payment.

For my friend to recommend me, then you should know I'm a pro in what I do.

Any child I take, the schools must ask questions. I remember when I was taking one saint saviours student, their school fees then was 400k, the teachers were always asking the parents who is this boys lesson teacher. He was always meeting the target ( they give them target to meet for each child per week) every week while it takes others in his class 2 weeks to meet up so he was always coming home with 7 star stickers in his class workbook every week. That is because I'm always ahead of their school so what they'll teach for that week is what we'll treat in the lesson ( I got their scheme of work). So he already knows it and will Ace everything.. That was a boy a school (this same school this new student is coming from) rejected because they said he could not do what his mates were doing. The mother angrily took the child to Saint savior. So she said since I've worked there before, I should come and use their standard for her boy.

What pained me was that I had already charged them 45k before she disclosed the child's school fees. The thing pained me.

All the children I took then should be going to SS one or two now because they got double promotion afterwards. Ahead tinz. Ah! I don tay for this line o. Na him this woman dey price me 20k...

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:15pm On Jul 30, 2023
weslay:
It's not too much. She is not only paying for your time but also for your experience.

Thank you o. Home service for that matter. I even suggested they bring the child to my house, she said no, that it has to be in their house.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LtChisom: 7:28pm On Jul 30, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

When you said because of your age, how old are you? Are you of child bearing age?

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:38pm On Jul 30, 2023
LtChisom:

When you said because of your age, how old are you? Are you of child bearing age?

Na 42 years old you dey follow talk so. This was something I did in the past. That my friend just say babes go German this thing I trust you. If not, me been don resign from home lesson tinz unless I see better rich man that will pay 100k.

12 Likes

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by OneMillionBTC: 7:59pm On Jul 30, 2023
You charged well. Someone else will charge 100k monthly for this same service, another will charge 10k. The good part Is they can attract their customers that will pay them at their various levels .

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LtChisom: 8:00pm On Jul 30, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Na 42 years old you dey follow talk so. This was something I did in the past. That my friend just say babes go German this thing I trust you. If not, me been don resign from home lesson tinz unless I see better rich man that will pay 100k.

It means you must be married with kids then?

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:17pm On Jul 30, 2023
OneMillionBTC:
You charged well. Someone else will charge 100k monthly for this same service, another will charge 10k. The good part Is they can attract their customers that will pay them at their various levels .

Ok.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:18pm On Jul 30, 2023
LtChisom:

It means you must be married with kids then?
.how does this relate to the post kwanu?

99 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by ExudeLoveToAll: 8:23pm On Jul 30, 2023
A friend of mine who is into this stuff you do told me he charged a family 65k per child while another teacher charged 40k per child same parents. They negotiated differently, the good thing is the parents are high earners.

The price depends on the capacity of those paying for the services. When a Governor contracts you for this you are at liberty to bill him one million per child but when a low income eaner contracts you your negotiating power diminishes..

You are then at liberty to exclude low income earners in your list and only entertain high income earners . This only works when you already have established networks.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LtChisom: 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

.how does this relate to the post kwanu?
Because I been dey reason if I fit get luck marry you na.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:34pm On Jul 30, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:
A friend of mine who is into this stuff you do told me he charged a family 65k pee child while another teacher charged 40k per child same parents. They negotiated differently, the good thing is the parents are high earners.

The price depends on the capacity of those paying for the services. When a Governor contracts you for this you are at liberty to bill him one million per child but when a low income eaner contracts you your negotiating power diminishes..

You are then at liberty to exclude low income earners in your list and only entertain high income earners . This only works when you already have established networks.

I've even stopped doing this kind of jobs. Those days, I used to select my clients. If you underprice me, you won't even see my break light. So I only do for the rich in my area and a network was formed as I got linked to other parents from either the same school or flat.

No aka gum on my list

5 Likes

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by NutritionGuru: 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2023
Ok.

5 Likes

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by MrsTwrite(f): 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2023
It's not much, that's a fair price. I don't know why Nigerians like to underpay their workers most times.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2023
F
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by OKUCHI11(m): 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2023
Abeg charge them... you received training for this in school...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by bigdammyj: 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2023
Reading...

Your charge is not bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by blazepascal(m): 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2023
:Following
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Drickles: 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2023
Hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by tobenuel(m): 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2023
Oga it's too much .. 50k just to learn UK sounds

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by BabaIbo: 9:30pm On Jul 30, 2023
50k for just a subject which is diction is on the high side.

I was expecting you to say the kid's school fees is 300k or 400k and I will feel you're still considerate.

School fees 120k(because you no sure) and you want to charge 50k for just one subject, not even mathematics, nor full English language nor chem/phys/bio and co., omoh you get mind o.

You're exploitive!!!

28 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Edward Kisuze, Ugandan Lecturer Arrested For Sexually Harassing A Student / Who Does This Teacher Represent During Your Secondary Sch Days? / Almajiri Schools Built By Jonathan Government Decaying Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.