Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,350 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? (52914 Views)

Who Did I Offend? / I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / How A UNILAG Lecturer Pestered A Married Woman For Sex - Wale Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by jaxxy(m): 11:31pm On Jul 30, 2023
So she wants to learn British accent without going to Britain?

Does she know how much flight ticket is now? Ontop of that u may come back with ur Nigerian accent.

imagine converting calabar accent to British. na 100k u suppose charge for strong/conc natural accents.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by francotunsco: 11:32pm On Jul 30, 2023
How come you are not using the British accent to write here? The question is. Can you really do the job?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by francotunsco: 11:36pm On Jul 30, 2023
50K for your diluted british accent? How will you rid your expressions of the strong Calabar accent/tongue you were born with?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sunsweet33: 11:40pm On Jul 30, 2023
Jovialjune1:
Why would a mother think her child needs to communicate with British accent undecided

Inferiority complex at its peak.

So interesting That people are out there paying thousands for that. Hmm Some people get spending money o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Abemy(m): 11:41pm On Jul 30, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

For my friend to recommend me, then you should know I'm a pro in what I do.

Any child I take, the schools must ask questions. I remember when I was taking one saint saviours student, their school fees then was 400k, the teachers were always asking the parents who is this boys lesson teacher. He was always meeting the target ( they give them target to meet for each child per week) every week while it takes others in his class 2 weeks to meet up so he was always coming home with 7 star stickers in his class workbook every week. That is because I'm always ahead of their school so what they'll teach for that week is what we'll treat in the lesson ( I got their scheme of work). So he already knows it and will Ace everything.. That was a boy a school (this same school this new student is coming from) rejected because they said he could not do what his mates were doing. She angrily took the child to Saint savior. So the woman said since I've worked there before, I should come and use their standard for her boy.

What pained me was that I had already charged them 45k before she disclosed the child's school fees. The thing pained me.

All the children I took then should be going to SS one or two now because they got double promotion afterwards. Ahead tinz. Ah! I don tay for this line o. Na him this woman dey price me 20k...

My children's school fee is 20k, they are two, can you also collect 20 k for the two, since the school fee is the determinant factor in charging what t collect?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by litaninja(m): 11:49pm On Jul 30, 2023
All parties involved no really well.

- Teacher dey naija, say him get british diction
- parent dey naija, no power 24/7 but wan pay for british diction
- pikin sef go dey fool imsef saey him dey speak british diction

una no well

5 Likes

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sunsweet33: 11:58pm On Jul 30, 2023
OgaRico:
No one should tell you that Slavery is going anywhere soon please.

The child is to be taught sound British accent but same child might hardly speak or understand anything in his or her mother tongue.

How many whites do you think teaches our languages or accent in any of their schools?

This reminds me of my classmate. His father used to scold him for speaking Efik, warning him that it would affect his accent while speaking English.
And now he can’t remember how to speak it

But if it’s about good diction in English he sha has it cheesy
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by dannyspeejay(m): 12:12am On Jul 31, 2023
E clear my guy
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by iLoveYouToo(m): 12:13am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

If you accept any less you will surely regret it. Don't budge, this way I'm sure you'll give your best and can be held accountable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by onuman: 12:14am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I would have charged them more self but because she said the child already knows sounds and in that school I know they teach sounds very well from kinder level, so I felt the work is reduced a bit and I'll only need to do blends and move up to word building and reading.

Some parents don't know our value and this stage is where the major work is. I didn't charge them at all.

In other words, rich Nigerian parents are now preparing their children for further education in Britain. If not, what is the hassle for British diction for Nigeria's children?

Well, it suits Britain good or bad. Britain created a monstrous country through piling up diverse ethnic and religious groups together knowing full well that such a country must fail at the long run.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by onuman: 12:21am On Jul 31, 2023
litaninja:
All parties involved no really well.

- Teacher dey naija, say him get british diction
- parent dey naija, no power 24/7 but wan pay for british diction
- pikin sef go dey fool imsef saey him dey speak british diction

una no well

Methinks, British diction is about equipping a child to speak English with British accent.
That's what we get from a country officially known as the poverty capital of the world. A failed country whose leaders share cheap cash from crude oil among the ruling elites, and now depend upon most expensive British universities for university education for their wards.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by GistFullGround: 12:21am On Jul 31, 2023
Charge a minimum of N75,000.

N25,000 per day for each child is good enough because of the situation of things in the country. However, 25% discount should be applied for the next sibling.

You must never undervalue yourself!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by masterduba(m): 12:43am On Jul 31, 2023
Your charge is decent, but for months now everyone has been on the edge. I am forced to slash the price per word of my content writing services dramatically, seeing that AI and ChatGPT has almost vapourised the demand for original words.

Just last week, an esteemed client needed a PowerPoint presentation to be delivered in 24 hours. When I gave her the quote for the express delivery, she flipped and I have not heard from her since.

Focus on putting your name out there first.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Originalsly: 12:50am On Jul 31, 2023
By your own account ... you are overcharging. In 2014 you were charging N25K ... was it for 3 days a week? You now want N50K .. a 100% increase. The school charged N95K in 2014 ... for 5 days a week and you are guessing they raised to around N150K ... which is just over 50% increase... and that is for multiple subjects. Can you really justify your massive increase?

I'm not sure what you teach .... sounds? .. do you mean phonics? And a British accent..... really? I'm guessing you lived in the UK ... was there when a teenager or before for you to have a local accent. In such a case the accent you teach will be for a certain part of the UK. Even so ... thise children cannot learn a foreign accent while in Nigeria. Many of our celebrities speak with "British and American accents " and impress the locals but sound very stupid to the foreigners. It's your hustle... providing a service that's in demand... but chop small small and not trying to swallow everything all at once.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by pek(m): 12:54am On Jul 31, 2023
Marketing strategy.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by MrsTwrite(f): 1:02am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

.my dear, as fair as I made it, she's still complaining. They can underprice? Not like they don't have the money. Let look for the one that will take 10k.

Exactly!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by nedekid: 1:03am On Jul 31, 2023
Op, do you mean,
1. 50k for a month. @3 times a week.
2. 50k weekly @3times ie 50k per
week.
3. 50k @3 times weekly ie 150k per
week.
If number 1, Then it is quite reasonable considering the state of the country.

Usually those special teaching is done for a fixed tenure, Eg few months till there is improvements on the child.
A premium is therefore charged.
Depending on the area and the general fees, also what you charged 10 years ago, 50k is even undercharging.
Digressing abit, Trekking or transportation is really an issue for us in naija based on economic realities. A lot of folks need to have other means aside cars. I mean motorbikes, bicycles etc. Bicycles for movement within miles of location. Eg someone lives in gowon estate and workers at shasha. Motorcycles for those that stay further. When you then have to go far, eg shasha to oshodi, Surulere, you use bus. Weekend, you use your car for family outings or goodtime.
Hmm, I have forgotten the social stigma we love so much. Forgotten that different task force, local government officials, agberos etc will harras you for different document for the motorcycle and when popular, bicycles.
Even the cost of motorcycle I hear is about t 500k now, tokumbo bicycles over 70k.
Wahala wahala.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by fitjenzy: 1:17am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3

I hope things get better

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Madas1986(m): 3:21am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I would have charged them more self but because she said the child already knows sounds and in that school I know they teach sounds very well from kinder level, so I felt the work is reduced a bit and I'll only need to do blends and move up to word building and reading.

Some parents don't know our value and this stage is where the major work is. I didn't charge them at all.
pls what state and school am planning to change school for my child

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by President2001(m): 4:11am On Jul 31, 2023
If I'm in your shoes I will accept it, that 20k job can land you in your dream job

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by countryman13: 4:42am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Lol... @block.

See, no matter how dull a child is, if I handle that child, the brain go correct. I have handled the worst slow learners that their parents were asking me how I did it. A particular boys mother asked her nanny how I do it that she should be watching me whenever I'm taking the boy so she can show them the method I use but the nanny said I should not tell them. She said they've tried different techniques and method, still the boy could not read or get his sums right until I was recommended to them by another parent whom I handled their son who had same issue. I just laughed.

I can handle any child as long as the pay is right. They'll end up getting cheap labor with no results. Waste of money.
I understand u bro but just pray U don't jam pikin wey Dem don pick em brain throway key for river. I had an experience with a particular girl back then in 2013 during my teaching days,her own case na Dundee Utd. Everything U ask her, d response will be BEENII (Meaning Na so i.e in yoruba) even her name! All the best ooooo but d pay isn't much considering the situation in d country. Teaching is not an easy job bro because it involves continuous talking thereby run out of saliva. Some of the parents know that it's not easy but don't want to admit it when negotiating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Hamachi(f): 4:51am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

For my friend to recommend me, then you should know I'm a pro in what I do.

Any child I take, the schools must ask questions. I remember when I was taking one saint saviours student, their school fees then was 400k, the teachers were always asking the parents who is this boys lesson teacher. He was always meeting the target ( they give them target to meet for each child per week) every week while it takes others in his class 2 weeks to meet up so he was always coming home with 7 star stickers in his class workbook every week. That is because I'm always ahead of their school so what they'll teach for that week is what we'll treat in the lesson ( I got their scheme of work). So he already knows it and will Ace everything.. That was a boy a school (this same school this new student is coming from) rejected because they said he could not do what his mates were doing. She angrily took the child to Saint savior. So the woman said since I've worked there before, I should come and use their standard for her boy.

What pained me was that I had already charged them 45k before she disclosed the child's school fees. The thing pained me.

All the children I took then should be going to SS one or two now because they got double promotion afterwards. Ahead tinz. Ah! I don tay for this line o. Na him this woman dey price me 20k...
You didn't over charge, the woman wants to use you to milk her husband. She would tell the husband that you charge 70k, but give you 50k. I am talking from experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by joyandfaith: 4:53am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Diction doesn't make a child to be intelligent. It is free market, you cannot charge any amounts you want.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Angrygoat: 4:54am On Jul 31, 2023
Uve edited your post. Baztad scammer. Very soon u will die
Battlefield2:
It's not too much
Always know your worth and don't sell yourself cheap

Anyone capable should help me out with something to feed
Hunger is quite on a rise here

Wema bank

May God almighty bless you
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Epinigirls: 5:15am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

How much would you charge to teach an adult?

Because, I'd love some accent training for American English

Can it be learnt over the Internet? Like Zoom or Google Meet
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 31, 2023
Angrygoat:
Uve edited your post. Baztad scammer. Very soon u will die

Easy tiger
I didn't scam anyone
I only asked for a little financial help
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by MentalCase98: 5:28am On Jul 31, 2023
You did the right thing. Your price is your price.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by UnfairLife7(m): 5:36am On Jul 31, 2023
Successguide23:

I write SOP for admission and visa, reach out to me via WhatsApp or call 08169565209
you're writing SOP with a new account?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by DeltaBachelor(m): 5:44am On Jul 31, 2023
PaulH07:

Do you tutor for IELTS?
Hello Mr Paul, Good morning. I hope you had a good night rest ? This is just to let you and anyone interested in taking the IELTS know that we tutor IELTS ( Academic/General). We have a good track record of making our candidates surpass their desired band scores. At least a minimum of Band 7.5 ( General) and Band 7(Academic) . For more info, kindly shoot us a mail : deltabachelor@gmail.com . Cheers !!!!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by gabbytabby: 5:51am On Jul 31, 2023
What is important is the going rate for your services home lesson 3 times a week for the age group.

What they pay for school should not have a bearing. I think you should come back with about 30k

Jewessgratitud3:

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by highoctane: 6:04am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Na 42 years old you dey follow talk so. This was something I did in the past. That my friend just say babes go German this thing I trust you. If not, me been don resign from home lesson tinz unless I see better rich man that will pay 100k.

You have shot yourself. Search for better rich man.
It's all about business negotiation.
Take it or leave it.
Think of multiple service charge, little, high and highest.
By the way, who has been employed in Voa, BBC, Shell and Chevron for been a brilliant dictioner?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Slurity(m): 6:08am On Jul 31, 2023
Battlefield2:
It's not too much
Always know your worth and don't sell yourself cheap

Anyone capable should help me out with something to feed
Hunger is quite on a rise here

Wema bank

May God almighty bless you
Stop begging, You too can give others.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A B U , Here We Come > / 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell / Update On ASUU Meeting With Federal Government (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.