Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,119 members, 7,860,041 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:43 AM

Memoirs From Chile - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Memoirs From Chile (131334 Views)

Nigerians In Chile Or Latin America, Gather Below / Travelling To Chile / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (58) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Karleb(m): 5:18am On May 20
See how small small igbo boys dey think, see ambitions. And my yoruba boys here no dey think pass how to put woman for house.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Olumighty123(m): 5:24am On May 20
Karleb:
See how small small igbo boys dey think, see ambitions. And my yoruba boys here no dey think pass how to put woman for house.

You well at all? I doubt 😕 🤔

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Karleb(m): 5:43am On May 20
Olumighty123:

You well at all? I doubt 😕 🤔

Baba. I said what I said.

You would think that they give prize to first to marry with the way my Yoruba people are rushing to marry.

Will you guys die if you have a little ambition outside of marriage?

All these are stories for another day sha.

2 Likes

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Olumighty123(m): 5:52am On May 20
Karleb:

Baba. I said what I said.

You would think that they give prize to first to marry with the way my Yoruba people are rushing to marry.

Will you guys die if you have a little ambition outside of marriage?

All these are stories for another day sha.

Despites, yoruba's are the most ambitious and successful tribe in nigeria, the stats dey there for you to see. I won't bother to write you back after this.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by W0t0w0toman: 6:40am On May 20
Olumighty123:

Despites, yoruba's are the most ambitious and successful tribe in nigeria, the stats dey there for you to see. I won't bother to write you back after this.

Pls keep quiet
Re: Memoirs From Chile by ihavesense: 7:58am On May 20
Olumighty123:

Just shut it.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Karleb(m): 8:57am On May 20
Olumighty123:

I'm talking about those in my immediate environment. And it's like this from any Yoruba sample group.

They are so complacent and unambitious.

All they know is marriage.
You should have just ignored my first post because I know what I am saying and I'm Yoruba.

I had to express my displeasure in church when the church president was all talking about relationship and marriage.
We are having our first talk as a group, and it's about marriage. Not finance or career.

My guy from uni was talking to me few weeks ago and it was all about marriage too.
There so many examples of these, they hardly discuss career or anything. I get career charge online than l can ever get offline.

If we continue this way ehn, we will become the poorer than the north in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gerrard59(m): 8:57am On May 20
Karleb:

I would not say it is about ethnicities. However, it looks like such because, in certain countries, especially non-English speaking, you find more Igbos than Yorubas. The church where I referenced the Singaporean woman had two Nigerians before my attendance. Both were Yorubas - Kwara and Ekiti. The Kwaran dude has been here for eight years working for a notable tech firm and was recently posted to the Tokyo office. One Japanese, him no sabi. But he earns very well. The Ekiti man is an associate professor and has two children.

The Nigerian pastor I had a meeting with is from Osun and has been here for more than a decade. His wife is Igbo and their children speak fluent Japanese. Two new Nigerians even joined the church recently. They are MEXT scholars - both Yorubas. Also, I have seen Yoruba names on Facebook and LinkedIn who are at great places. But by sheer numbers, it is disproportionately Igbos. I was told the Igbo Union in the Tokyo area is so large, that they had to divide it by states and the Nigerian Union in Japan itself is 90% Igbo.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Memoirs From Chile by lastkingsman: 9:04am On May 20
Gerrard59:

I would not say it is about ethnicities. However, it looks like such because in certain countries, especially non-English speaking, you find more Igbos than Yorubas. The church where I referenced the Singaporean woman had two Nigerians prior to my attendance. Both were Yorubas - Kwara and Ekiti. The Kwaran dude has been here for eight years working for a notable tech firm and was recently posted to the Tokyo office. One Japanese, him no sabi. But he earns very well. The Ekiti man is an associate professor and has two children.

The Nigerian pastor I had a meeting with is from Osun and has been here for more than a decade. His wife is Igbo and their children speak fluent Japanese. Two new Nigerians even joined the church recently. They are MEXT scholars - both Yorubas. Also, I have seen Yoruba names on Facebook and LinkedIn who are at great places. But by sheer numbers, it is disproportionately Igbos. I was told the Igbo Union in the Tokyo area is so large, they had to divide it by states and the Nigerian Union in Japan itself is 90% Igbo.

Igbo migrate for trade also, import and export. That's why you find us more in non English speaking countries
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Karleb(m): 9:10am On May 20
Gerrard59:

I would not say it is about ethnicities. However, it looks like such because in certain countries, especially non-English speaking, you find more Igbos than Yorubas. The church where I referenced the Singaporean woman had two Nigerians prior to my attendance. Both were Yorubas - Kwara and Ekiti. The Kwaran dude has been here for eight years working for a notable tech firm and was recently posted to the Tokyo office. One Japanese, him no sabi. But he earns very well. The Ekiti man is an associate professor and has two children.

The Nigerian pastor I had a meeting with is from Osun and has been here for more than a decade. His wife is Igbo and their children speak fluent Japanese. Two new Nigerians even joined the church recently. They are MEXT scholars - both Yorubas. Also, I have seen Yoruba names on Facebook and LinkedIn who are at great places. But by sheer numbers, it is disproportionately Igbos. I was told the Igbo Union in the Tokyo area is so large, they had to divide it by states and the Nigerian Union in Japan itself is 90% Igbo.

Thank you.

But based off my personal experience here, I'm not impressed by my people at all.

You could be a low life but once you have a family of your own, you are successful to everyone. It's like the highest level of success people can think of.

I'm sorry for bringing tribe to this place but it hurts when people I relate with on a daily don't even believe life could offer more if they put in their A game. They'll rather bring this A game to relationship or marriage.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gerrard59(m): 9:14am On May 20
Karleb:

Thank you.

But based off my personal experience here, I'm not impressed by my people at all.

You could be a low life but once you have a family of your own, you are successful to everyone. It's like the highest level of success people can think of. I'm sorry for bringing tribe to this place but it hurts when people I relate with on a daily don't even believe life could offer more if they put in their A game. They'll rather bring this A game to relationship or marriage.

Then it has to be your environment because when I was looking into the GRE and the US, I came across Yorubas and equally Igbos. Both ethnic groups are the ones pushing beyond the frontiers in Nigeria. So, when I see/read the in-fighting, it tells me that the country has a long way to go.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Karleb(m): 9:31am On May 20
Gerrard59:

Then it has to be your environment because when I was looking into the GRE and the US, I came across Yorubas and equally Igbos. Both ethnic groups are the ones pushing beyond the frontiers in Nigeria. So, when I see/read the in-fighting, it tells me that the country has a long way to go.

Bro, there is a popular thing on Twitter that usually goes like this:

Person A: An average Nigerian doesn't have upto N500k in their account.

Person B: I know one person or a group of people that earns N2m monthly.

This is what is happening here.

My point is, we could be doing greater things with our lives if we are not thinking too much about marriage early in life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memoirs From Chile by chukwuebuka65(m): 11:33am On May 20
Good day boss @tensa. Congratulations on your new job. Is your new job in a company that uses salesforce in their business or is it an agency that uses salesforce to provide solutions to their cllients? And which of the two do you think hires more developers.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:02pm On May 20
chukwuebuka65:
Good day boss @tensa. Congratulations on your new job. Is your new job in a company that uses salesforce in their business or is it an agency that uses salesforce to provide solutions to their cllients? And which of the two do you think hires more developers.

My current company uses Salesforce as an integral part of their business. You are referring to consultancies. Both do hire.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by chukwuebuka65(m): 12:07pm On May 20
tensazangetsu20:

My current company uses Salesforce as an integral part of their business. You are referring to consultancies. Both do hire.

Ok. Thanks
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Olumighty123(m): 3:01pm On May 20
ihavesense:

Just shut it.

cheesy
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Olumighty123(m): 3:02pm On May 20
W0t0w0toman:

Pls keep quiet

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gerrard59(m): 4:53pm On May 20
Karleb:

Bro, there is a popular thing on Twitter that usually goes like this:

Person A: An average Nigerian doesn't have upto N500k in their account.

Person B: I know one person or a group of people that earns N2m monthly.

This is what is happening here.

My point is, we could be doing greater things with our lives if we are not thinking too much about marriage early in life.

Na true you talk sha. But e follow for wetin dey contribute to low birth rates everywhere (apart from Africa).
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:10am On May 23
If you are in tech, young and single and willing to learn another language. Chile Is one country I will recommend over and over again. Like I tell my guys, the only country better than Chile to me is the US. I have lived and worked in Italy and to be honest, from my own perspective Chile is better than all the countries in Europe.

I got another offer from the Chilean state bank which is like the central bank here but rejected it cause they are paying literally half of what my current salary is and I still get recruiters sending me emails and LinkedIn messages every single day.

What I will say though is that Chile isn't really a hustling country. If you want to do menial jobs here, you will forever be poor as the Chilean minimum wage is low but if you have the skills that is well in demand here, you would be paid a lot.

The salary for professional jobs in Chile is very high in relation to the cost of living. Like with the offers I have had from Chilean companies, I can comfortably buy a house and a brand new car in Chile in 2 to 3 years but for menial jobs its hand to mouth living. You won't even be able to rent a house to yourself just a single room. I think that's where Europe probably beats Chile as people with menial jobs can be able to buy a house or own a brand new car.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Iamsheye(m): 10:01am On May 23
tensazangetsu20:
If you are in tech, young and single and willing to learn another language. Chile Is one country I will recommend over and over again. Like I tell my guys, the only country better than Chile to me is the US. I have lived and worked in Italy and to be honest, from my own perspective Chile is better than all the countries in Europe.

I got another offer from the Chilean state bank which is like the central bank here but rejected it cause they are paying literally half of what my current salary is and I still get recruiters sending me emails and LinkedIn messages every single day.

What I will say though is that Chile isn't really a hustling country. If you want to do menial jobs here, you will forever be poor as the Chilean minimum wage is low but if you have the skills that is well in demand here, you would be paid a lot.

The salary for professional jobs in Chile is very high in relation to the cost of living. Like with the offers I have had from Chilean companies, I can comfortably buy a house and a brand new car in Chile in 2 to 3 years but for menial jobs its hand to mouth living. You won't even be able to rent a house to yourself just a single room. I think that's where Europe probably beats Chile as people with menial jobs can be able to buy a house or own a brand new car.

Do Chilean companies offer relocation packages to Nigerians?
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:44am On May 23
Iamsheye:

Do Chilean companies offer relocation packages to Nigerians?

It is probably impossible to be honest. The requirements to get a Chilean work visa are too strict except it's a country Chile has relationship with. There's also the issue of the language too. I tried applying before choosing to come study here and couldn't even land interviews but once I was in, it was a completely different story.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by ihavesense: 11:44am On May 23
tensazangetsu20:

It is probably impossible to be honest. The requirements to get a Chilean work visa are too strict except it's a country Chile has relationship with. There's also the issue of the language too. I tried applying before choosing to come study here and couldn't even land interviews but once I was in, it was a completely different story.
Please can you answer the following questions.
How much is your school fees?
How much did you show in your account as pof?
Must you know Spanish before landing a dev job?
How much is monthly cost of living for a very modest guy?
When can one be able to finally bring in his wife and child if he is already married (I got married last year and we are expecting a baby)?
What can you say about the chances of landing a frontend job (React, Vue) in Chile as a an msc student? I have upto 3 years experience in web development.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:17pm On May 23
ihavesense:

When can one be able to finally bring in his wife and child if he is already married (I got married last year and we are expecting a baby)?
What can you say about the chances of landing a frontend job (React, Vue) in Chile as a an msc student? I have upto 3 years experience in web development.

Back then I paid close to 6 million. It should be around 12 to 13 million now since the naira has literally doubled.

I had like 4 million in my account.

Knowledge of Spanish is very important. Even in multinationals where they speak English you will still have some interviews in Spanish. American remote jobs are easier to get from Chile so even without Spanish you might not be completely bleeped but your studies are in Spanish and you need to maintain your education to maintain your visa and also be able to get permanent residency.

If you are gonna pay rent every month. You could probably get by with 300 to 400 usd a month but I paid my rent from Nigeria so I didn't have to worry about that.

You can bring in your wife and kids as dependents but you have to be very rich to be honest. Renting a 2 to 3 bedroom apartment here is very stringent and most will ask for at least a year worth of rent before you are allowed to move in. If you come first and decide to bring them in later you must show economic stability for them. So you would submit your monthly income statement and the government will calculate if it's sufficient to care for you and your dependents before they will give them a visa.

I was doing react back in Nigeria but completely burned out and never bothered looking for a job in that field so I can't really say. You would need to research that yourself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Newusername(m): 2:56pm On May 23
tensazangetsu20:

Thank you for this. Is there opportunity for those who are into Backend development (Java)/DevOp sEngineer so make I go start to dey learn Spanish.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:04pm On May 23
Newusername:

Thank you for this. Is there opportunity for those who are into Backend development (Java)/DevOp sEngineer so make I go start to dey learn Spanish.

I can't say to be honest. I just searched for the kind of job I wanted but there should be.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by Newusername(m): 4:09pm On May 23
tensazangetsu20:

I can't say to be honest. I just searched for the kind of job I wanted but there should be.
Ok thank you.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Dedewizzy(m): 10:40pm On May 23
ihavesense:

If the pregnancy is still in the first trimester and you're financially buoyant, you can plan to birth the baby in South America, Brazil precisely. Visa isn't too stringent if you meet the criteria (DYOR). It's doable. That way, baby would have citizenship and permanent residence for the parents. With your PR card, you can travel freely across the MERCOSUR countries CHILE inclusive if you wish.

1 Like

Re: Memoirs From Chile by ihavesense: 10:42pm On May 23
Dedewizzy:

If the pregnancy is still in the first trimester and you're financially buoyant, you can plan to birth the baby in South America, Brazil precisely. Visa isn't too stringent if you meet the criteria (DYOR). It's doable. That way, baby would have citizenship and permanent residence for the parents. Using a stone to kill two birds
Yes it is still first trimester.
Like how much can this cost?
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Dedewizzy(m): 10:59pm On May 23
ihavesense:

Yes it is still first trimester.
Like how much can this cost?

Refer to the giving birth in Brazil thread, someone recently did an estimate.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by Gingeruch: 7:13am On May 27
tensazangetsu20:

There's a lot of cloud computing jobs here but as for giving birth. That has k leg here. Your child can only qualify for citizenship after birth if the parent has residency already. Permanent or temporary. If you have just visiting visa and give birth here, nothing for you and the child. Also, studies here are completely in Spanish.

Hello there!
Please when did Chile change their citizenship policy? I thought that any child born on the soil gets automatic citizenship. Please drop off a link where this has been changed so that I can be well informed. Sorry if you had done that previously as I didn't see it.
Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:19am On May 27
Gingeruch:

Hello there!
Please when did Chile change their citizenship policy? I thought that any child born on the soil gets automatic citizenship. Please drop off a link where this has been changed so that I can be well informed. Sorry if you had done that previously as I didn't see it.

A lot of the things were modified back in 2020. They modified that aspect. Visitors on transitory residence AKA visit visa that give birth in Chile won't be able to acquire Chilean citizenship for their children.

https://serviciomigraciones.cl/en/residencia-temporal-permit/subcategories/pregnancy/

That's the visa you need to apply for to have a child now or your Child won't be Chilean.

https://globalcit.eu/the-implications-of-chiles-2021-immigration-law-for-citizenship-and-nationality/

It's heavily enforced now as there were issues with some Russians that even birth here and were crying when their kids weren't given Chilean nationality

Re: Memoirs From Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:09pm On May 27
So today is a public holiday in the US and I don't have to work. I think it's memorial day so I used the opportunity to go do some registrations at the various government offices. Registering for tax. So while I don't need to pay any income tax I do need to pay a VAT which is 15 percent of income. The funny thing is that without paying this, you cant apply for permanent residency as they ask for the last 8 payments. Smart people. I am happy to pay taxes to the government of Chile Sha. The country has given me everything I need to live a happy life as a human being.

I like how everything is computerized in Chile but one weird thing is how absolutely people tend not to know anything about their job. You really need to make your research online and be very sure of what you want before going to the government offices or they will just tell you what is in their head which most times isn't true

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (58) (Reply)

Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.