Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,210 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' (26217 Views)

Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary / What Would Have Been The Correct English? / English Word With Three Different Consecutive Repeated Letters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by ow11(m): 7:33pm On Sep 09, 2007
Please can any one tell me the correct english word for 'longathroat' or 'akpiri ogologo' in igbo or 'poko ba te tuwo' in Kalabari undecided
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by uyai(f): 9:30pm On Sep 09, 2007
greedy

lack of temperance
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by mymspecial: 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2007
wrong- ow11, longathroat in kalabari is 'pokosolisoli' - pronounced por-kor-saw-lee-saw-lee.

i think if called a 'foodie' or 'foody'. another possible word is 'gourmet'.
look it up in ur dictionary.
glutton does not really fit into the longathroat context very well.
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by lovemajek(f): 11:02pm On Sep 09, 2007
i think throat that is long,
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by naijacutee(f): 11:04pm On Sep 09, 2007
@ ow11 - I thought "poko ba te tuwo" literally translates to mean "throat-itching child" or something like that. . . . We have long-throat as "pokobo" or like mymspecial said "pokosolisoli".  grin I can't think of any English translation, man. That's the beauty of our languages. grin
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by ghettochyk(f): 6:04am On Sep 10, 2007
I don't think "longathroat" means "longer throat" (for a long throat or length), but "longer" as in "want" or "desire". So if I'm right, then I don't see what's wrong with "longa throat". I guess it's just da accent and Nigerian English. Go figure. Greedy works too.
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by ow11(m): 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2007
@naijacutee and mymspecial
thanks for the correction
unfortunately, i am one of those who can't really speak my language embarassed I was always called that as a child so i thot that was what it meant.
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by mymspecial: 9:42pm On Sep 11, 2007
So, ow11, u were a longathroat as a child? wink
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by Eyohimself(m): 9:27am On Sep 12, 2007
longer throat in Nigerian has got multifarious meaning depending on the context.

It can mean Covetous
Desirous
Avaricious
Yearning

Rapacious
Penny-Pinching and much more.

check out the contect it is being used then the meaning will be blatantly glaring.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by mymspecial: 10:11am On Sep 14, 2007
Eyohimself:

longer throat in Nigerian has got multifarious meaning depending on the context.

It can mean Covetous
Desirous
Avaricious
Yearning

Rapacious
Penny-Pinching and much more.

check out the contect it is being used then the meaning will be blatantly glaring.

@Eyohimself
Avarious and Rapacious are synonyms for Very Greedy which is out of context when refering to longathroat. Covertous, Yearning and Desirious, don't quite cut the meaning while penny pinching is way way off meaning a miser.
longathroat deals more with food, someone whats to eat what you are eating because they saw you eating it.
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by Eyohimself(m): 11:02am On Sep 14, 2007
Who is a "longathroat" then? While the words I posted may not be perfect synonyms

which is rarely the case in plebeian diction, I do believe that contingent on the content in which

they are used, they could synonyms.

I posted those words based on the assumption that "longathroat" transliterated, means

-to eagerly want something;

-to want to get everything you are giving to the last piece ( often in a waggish and grotesque manner);

-to be stingy, in that you always want people's things.

I hope I have cleared any doubt whatsoever you had. If not, we can etymologically reason out why

those words fit probably not perfectly but certainly within the gamut of the word's grammatical use.
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by zinni: 11:13am On Sep 14, 2007
shocked
I think its just being ambitious, maybe to get more woteva
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by Purist(m): 8:31pm On Sep 14, 2007
I think the most appropriate English word for "longathroat" is "COVETOUSNESS".
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by creamkele(m): 10:22pm On Sep 14, 2007
Hey mymspecial 'foodie' is the correct english name for 'longathroat' ,
Dem get another one , ABC
A- ajeku
B- bouncing
C-club
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by joe001: 6:07am On Sep 19, 2012
firstly let me say that some people could not accerting the true meaning of names from other tribe
in nigeria just because a name sound like, even when the spellings is not the same as in theire tribal
lang. does not mean they should term it as that;
point of correction to the name AKPIRI this name is not the same aperie as in igbo lang, so people should
mind, giving meaning to names that they are not familiar with as this is not right.
Re: What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat'' by joe001: 6:19am On Sep 19, 2012
people do u know what kalabari mean in my tribe it means nobody, but i cant use this to discribe the
kalabari people in nigeria so u see what i mean

(1) (Reply)

The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? / FG Shuts Down All Unity Schools In Abuja Over Security Threats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.