Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Nigerian States And Revenue Generation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian States And Revenue Generation (3081 Views)

"Full List Of 2016 Budgets For Nigeria States And Allocated Revenue " / Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian States And Revenue Generation by wireless05: 6:49pm On Oct 10, 2011
Fellow Nairalanders!!!

I am starting this thread for a discussion on how states can generate revenue internally without the need to always rely on monthly FGN allocations.

You will all agree with me that every state in Nigeria has the potential to generate its own revenue to help boost their local economies.

A few states we know have great advantages, the littoral states (oil producing) and Lagos which has been the commercial capital of Nigeria for a long time. Lagos survived during the Obasanjo-Tinubu rift.

It is my opinion that every Nigerian state has some one form of natural resource or the other or at least a potential for agricultural boom or even tapping into the intellect of the state.

Most states in Nigeria produce one cash/food crop or the other that can earn significant foreign exchange (e.g

Sugar: Kwara, Adamawa
Cocoa: South West
Rubber: Edo/Delta/Rivers and most of south south
Oil Palm: South East/South South
Grains: Most Northern States
Cassava: Almost every state
Cotton: North East
Gum Arabic: North

Dairy products: Could be anywhere afterall the animals migrate southwards during the dry season in the north.

Fruits such as Mangoes, oranges experience perennial waste in Benue, what about fruit processing plants.

And lots more

We know of a lot of countries that do not have any natural resource but are amongst the top flight economies in the world.

What is the problem with our governors or states. Are they lazy or just do not care since they get billions every month.

What about investing in education, healthcare, technology, I mean the world is fast changing but we don't seem to want to take part in this great revolution.

I am aware of certain challenges such as electricity, transport etc but it is still the duty of government to ensure them.

Honest opinions.

Regards
Re: Nigerian States And Revenue Generation by asha80(m): 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2011
wireless05:

Fellow Nairalanders!!!

I am starting this thread for a discussion on how states can generate revenue internally without the need to always rely on monthly FGN allocations.

You will all agree with me that every state in Nigeria has the potential to generate its own revenue to help boost their local economies.

A few states we know have great advantages, the littoral states (oil producing) and Lagos which has been the commercial capital of Nigeria for a long time. Lagos survived during the Obasanjo-Tinubu rift.

It is my opinion that every Nigerian state has some one form of natural resource or the other or at least a potential for agricultural boom or even tapping into the intellect of the state.

Most states in Nigeria produce one cash/food crop or the other that can earn significant foreign exchange (e.g

Sugar: Kwara, Adamawa
Cocoa: South West
Rubber: Edo/Delta/Rivers and most of south south
Oil Palm: South East/South South
Grains: Most Northern States
Cassava: Almost every state
Cotton: North East
Gum Arabic: North

Dairy products: Could be anywhere afterall the animals migrate southwards during the dry season in the north.

Fruits such as Mangoes, oranges experience perennial waste in Benue, what about fruit processing plants.

And lots more

We know of a lot of countries that do not have any natural resource but are amongst the top flight economies in the world.

What is the problem with our governors or states. Are they lazy or just do not care since they get billions every month.

What about investing in education, healthcare, technology, I mean the world is fast changing but we don't seem to want to take part in this great revolution.

I am aware of certain challenges such as electricity, transport etc but it is still the duty of government to ensure them.

Honest opinions.

Regards

all this you wrote hear will make sense when we stop turning federalism on its head.
Re: Nigerian States And Revenue Generation by igbo2011(m): 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
Read this thread, we are discussing imperialism: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-777345.0.html

Also, our government is now seeing that we must invest in agriculture, so they are doing that more now. We also need to invest in FACTORIES and MANUFACTURING. THe industries of the future are manufacturing, agriculture, and tourism.

We need to do mass production of rice (5 million tonnes), and mass production of other ffoods, this will create thousands to millions of jobs. THe youth can be hired and become farmers. Everybody wants to be a banker, we need engineers (to produce things more efficiently) doctors, and scientists (to find cures). We have enough bankers.
Re: Nigerian States And Revenue Generation by PointB: 9:06pm On Oct 10, 2011
How about spliting the country in two or more nations. Surely the will us look inward.

(1) (Reply)

Is Goodluck Jonathan Any Better Than Sabo Bakin Zuwo / Anambra Governorship Election: Chris Ngige Ben Akabueze APC Ticket / Video: Angry Wike Turns Against PDP, Urges Aluu To Vote Out Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.