Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,321 members, 7,846,430 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China (3101 Views)

The NAF Plane Landed In Kaduna Before Crashing & Going Up In Flames / Proforce Armoured Vehicles Produced In Ogun, Bought By UN & Shipped To Somalia / 17 Abia Government Vehicles "Secretly Sold Off" For ₦317,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 12:21pm On Aug 03, 2023
A slice of the El Ali meteorite, now housed in the University of Alberta's Meteorite Collection, contains two minerals never before seen on Earth. (Photo: University of Alberta)

Space is full of rocks. This “celestial debris” known as meteoroids hurtles through space, occasionally entering Earth's atmosphere where the materials begin to burn up. These “shooting stars” are meteors. Most are obliterated before they come close to the surface of Earth, but a few survive the fall. These rocks which hit Earth are known as meteorites, and they are a scientist's dream. Meteorites provide hints to the chemical composition of the universe. Excitingly, a meteorite which fell to Earth and landed in Somalia in 2020 has been revealed to contain two new minerals not found on our planet.

The meteorite in question is the ninth largest ever discovered at a whopping 15 tonne (16.5 U.S. ton). It was found near El Ali, a town in the Hiiraan region of Somalia. A 2.5-ounce piece of the space rock was taken as a scientific sample and sent to the University of Alberta. There it was analyzed by Chris Herd, a professor in the Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences and curator of the University of Alberta’s Meteorite Collection. Herd began to decipher the meteorites composition. “Whenever you find a new mineral, it means that the actual geological conditions, the chemistry of the rock, was different than what’s been found before,” he says. “That’s what makes this exciting: In this particular meteorite you have two officially described minerals that are new to science.”

Herd's results classified the meteorite as an “Iron, IAB complex” example, of which 350 have been discovered. Despite other similar meteorites being studied, this small slice of rock contained two previously unknown minerals. Minerals are elements or compounds which form the building blocks of rocks. Think of quartz or feldspar, which are both common minerals. Yet the two new minerals discovered are not naturally occurring on our planet. It usually takes a while to confirm whether a mineral in a meteorite is in fact new; however, these were easy to match given the fact that scientists have artificially synthesized them before. A third mineral is also possibly a new type, but more investigation is needed to confirm this.

Andrew Locock, head of the University’s Electron Microprobe Laboratory, aided Herd in identifying the new minerals. The compounds have been named elaliite and elkinstantonite. The former is named in honor of the town nearby the meteorite crash site, and the latter is in honor of Lindy Elkins-Tanton, vice president of the ASU Interplanetary Initiative, professor at Arizona State University’s School of Earth, and Space Exploration, and principal investigator of NASA’s upcoming Psyche mission. “Lindy has done a lot of work on how the cores of planets form, how these iron nickel cores form, and the closest analogue we have are iron meteorites. So it made sense to name a mineral after her and recognize her contributions to science,” Herd explains.

The meteorite may contain even more secrets of space; however, studying it in the future could be logistically tricky. The large rock has already been transported to China in search of a private sale, and a future owner may not want to take further samples. However, investigations will continue into this small piece and other meteorite materials held by the university. Herd says, “Whenever there’s a new material that’s known, material scientists are interested too because of the potential uses in a wide range of things in society.”

A meteorite which fell to Earth and landed in Somalia in 2020 has been revealed to contain two new minerals not found on our planet.​

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Alchemy528: 12:24pm On Aug 03, 2023
embarassed
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 12:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
Alchemy528:
embarassed

I guess since we are still on the physiological level of maslows heirachy, we don't have business keeping these type of discovery

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Curse777: 12:34pm On Aug 03, 2023
cool

Why not keep a piece for research

3 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by BossGerald: 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
Africa...chai

Smh

1 Like

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by WildChild00(m): 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
OneCandleAway:

I guess since we are still on the physiological level of maslows heirachy, we don't have business keeping these type of discovery

Scam
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 12:39pm On Aug 03, 2023
Curse777:
Why not keep a piece for research

It's been sold off to those that can research it. Is it black africa that is still struggling to feed ourself, cloth ourself that will be doing research.

15 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Curse777: 12:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
OneCandleAway:

It's been sold off to those that can research it. Is it black africa that is still struggling to feed ourself, cloth ourself that will be doing research.

We have university facilities that can conduct carbon dating, our geology department are fairly equiped

What if during research we hit jackpot and find a renewable energy source

8 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by psychalade: 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2023
Jack port 🙄

Curse777:

We have university facilities that can conduct carbon dating, our geology department are fairly equiped

What if during research we hit jack port and find a renewable energy source

3 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Curse777: 1:19pm On Aug 03, 2023
psychalade:
Jack port 🙄

Oh Jackpot

2 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by MadamExcellency: 1:19pm On Aug 03, 2023
Curse777:

We have university facilities that can conduct carbon dating, our geology department is fairly equipped

What if during research we hit jack port and find a renewable energy source

It can be an energy source just like refined uranium used in nuclear reactors but not renewable.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Curse777: 1:24pm On Aug 03, 2023
MadamExcellency:

It can be an energy source just like refined uranium used in nuclear reactors but not renewable.

Yeah you are right,

in the true sense even Sun isn't renewable energy it's just nuclear fusion burning out , hydrogen to helium

4 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by backtovillage: 1:24pm On Aug 03, 2023
Sold to China and US
Money to b stolen by their leaders
15 years to come , it would be "The West stole our mineral resource" as they can't explain how they spend the money.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by chigator2: 1:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
When you don't have the capacity to handle somethings you outsource it and stick to what is immediate for you, money.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by FatherOfJesus: 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2023
Because Africa is backward does not know what to do with it, they sold it to China and united states
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Omoawoke2(m): 3:35pm On Aug 03, 2023
OneCandleAway:

Lol, true but sad
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by JimmySwaggart(m): 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
Curse777:

which yeye geology department are fairly equiped,
The ones even in the so called educationally exposed Southwest universities are still struggling and begging alumni to help them with accreditation fee. Failure to pay up means they lose their accreditation. And it's just 2 million naira o.

2 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Thomasankara(m): 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2023
[/color]did u study guidance and counselling?[color=#770077]
OneCandleAway:

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 4:04pm On Aug 03, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]did u study guidance and counselling?[color=#770077]

Nope.

Just a well read individual
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Curse777: 4:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
JimmySwaggart:
which yeye geology department are fairly equiped,
The ones even in the so called educationally exposed Southwest universities are still struggling and begging alumni to help them with accreditation fee. Failure to pay up means they lose their accreditation. And it's just 2 million naira o.

Definitely not UNiLAG , UI or IFE

3 Likes

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Thomasankara(m): 4:10pm On Aug 03, 2023
[/color] interesting[color=#770077]
OneCandleAway:

Nope.

Just a well read individual
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color] interesting[color=#770077]

But these are normal things everyone should know so far you went to tertiary institution at least. Though realistically I understand the education system we have presently.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by GlorifiedTunde(m): 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
OneCandleAway:

You couldn't have said it any better 🤣
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by ivolt: 4:39pm On Aug 03, 2023
OneCandleAway:

You are partly right but I hope they didn't sell everything.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by obayendo1010(m): 4:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
Africa and sell, we should crown world OlX...
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by JimmySwaggart(m): 4:47pm On Aug 03, 2023
Curse777:

Definitely not UNiLAG , UI or IFE
am sorry . It's uniben.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 4:47pm On Aug 03, 2023
ivolt:

You are partly right but I hope they didn't sell everything.

What will they use it for? We lack the capability or capacity to research on it. So off to China it goes.

I’m so tired of African leaders just giving away their riches and resources. This reminds me of when a container with a huge gem/boulder was discovered in a container on its way to China from malawi.
The Chinese were caught trying to sneak it out of the country.

Chinese are well aware that Western Europe got rich off Africa and fathom that it is now their turn. They will stop at nothing, including bribery of corrupt African officials, to siphon wealth from Africa.

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by ivolt: 4:54pm On Aug 03, 2023
OneCandleAway:

What will they use it for? We lack the capability or capacity to research on it. So off to China it goes.

I’m so tired of African leaders just giving away their riches and resources. This reminds me of when a container with a huge gem/boulder was discovered in a container on its way to China from malawi.
The Chinese were caught trying to sneak it out of the country.

Chinese are well aware that Western Europe got rich off Africa and fathom that it is now their turn. They will stop at nothing, including bribery of corrupt African officials, to siphon wealth from Africa.
It may not be useful for them now but the future.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 4:56pm On Aug 03, 2023
ivolt:

It may not be useful for them now but the future.

You know our black leaders don't plan for the future generations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by Thomasankara(m): 5:34pm On Aug 03, 2023
[/color]it's not everything that someone knows,you can be exceedingly rich in some areas and poor in others,for example do you know about Russian history?[color=#770077]
OneCandleAway:

But these are normal things everyone should know so far you went to tertiary institution at least. Though realistically I understand the education system we have presently.
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by emmy512: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
Curse777:

Carbon dating?
Research?

What if?

No mind me bros, you just have high hopes.
A normal Nigerian professor sef doesn't care or have passion about this
Re: Meteorite Landed In Somalia, sold off to China by OneCandleAway(f): 6:15pm On Aug 03, 2023
Thomasankara:
[/color]it's not everything that someone knows,you can be exceedingly rich in some areas and poor in others,for example do you know about Russian history?[color=#770077]

Well a lil bit I guess.
I mean I know about the house of Romanovs and their tragic end.
I know putin history from fighting in Africa to being the leader.
Following ufc got me to learn a bit of the Muslim Russians.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Africa's Sit-tight Leaders- Who Is The Next Person We Are Removing! / Senate Begins The Probe Of Nitel & Nipost / Frank Abagnale: True Life Story Of A Teenage Crime Lord And Impostor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.