Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (26827 Views)

Poll: Which is more prefered ?

Strutural Engineering: 80% (28 votes)
High-way Engineering: 20% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by ERNESTICO: 12:42pm On Nov 10, 2011
IF YOU ARE A JOB SEEKER AND YOU NEED A LUCRTIVE JOB, YOUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED
VISIT US @ www.speedaccessresources..com or www.speedaccesssms.com
For further Enquiries call 08059379461
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Ejiekwu1(m): 1:57pm On Nov 10, 2011
good idea, civil engr. on naira land. a big shout out to all bloody civilian. chears

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by bezimo(m): 2:01pm On Nov 10, 2011
This is interesting to meet civil engineers. in this industry it seems there is little opportunity for those without experience.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 2:11pm On Nov 10, 2011
@bezimo,

This is interesting to meet civil engineers. in this industry it seems there is little opportunity for those without experience.
I am sure there are opportunities out there to work as a civil engineer. Maybe you are refering to the financial compensation as opportunities. Yes, you will have to start with little and the financial rewards will grow with your experience. This is true in every profesion out there.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 2:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
@BobDel,

I see you as my colleague in this sector, please let pave ways for the up coming ones. I welcome practical questions on TL/SS projects.
Where exactly are you located? I have often wondered if we have competent engineers in Naija that are capable of designing overhead transmission lines. Are you more into the design aspect or construction? I tried to hook up with some local companies a while back who were more into the construction and not the design aspect of the job. We were planning on consolidating our skill sets as a fully indegenous one-stop shop for transmission line design and build. For one reason or another, the whole thing came apart.

So what voltage levels have you worked on? I have design capabilities and experience up to 500kV.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Edzy: 2:30pm On Nov 10, 2011
Read Civil engineering but working in a telecom sector(not in civil engineering related field)since last year

This thread has rekindle my interest to go to the field and practice as its some thing i have always have the

passion to engage Myself in,where do i start from?
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by eminemkayc: 3:28pm On Nov 10, 2011
Thanks eminemkayc for your contribution. When I said no moment transfer, I meant for the sake of manual analysis. Of course in reality except for roller supports, nearly all supports transfer some amount of momemt. One important thing is construction experience added to your detailing experience would make you a good designer. When I said construction experience I mean construction experience acquired by doing and not by reading. They are different. Same applies to detailing.

Meanwhile, I can see you are a research fellow in the oil and gas environment, what is your area of research, it may be of interest to me and some other people in this forum

Thanks. My brother, my area of research is practically undefined just like the Lim ((x^2 - 4)/(x-2)) as x approaches 2 cheesy.Well basically,I'm deeply into advanced mathematical analysis and DEEP research, iv worked on membrane and plate theories for highly indeterminate structural elements and developed programs on mathematical derivatives on thin plates nd shells, worked on Navier's solution to the fourth order governing equation as a solution to the true distortion of plates under uniformly distributed loads and now into buckling analysis of offshore submerged structural steel members. Working from proofs of Euler's fundamental buckling theories of different end conditions for slender elements to the actual stress behavior of these deep water members under axial load. i hv also worked, and consult on major engineering design projects for the IOCs, which involves in place, lifting and jacket stability analysis under extreme conditions in addition to production of 3D sacs/staad analytic models. . . These things are quite tedious and take a chunk of my tym, but science, i tell you is interesting and has drawn me closer to my CREATOR i must admit!!

3 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by suolboy(m): 5:50pm On Nov 10, 2011
I'm also delighted like others to find this forum here. I'm into structural engineering and also standardisation. So i'm very familiar with local and BS standards. I also need a new job in a good design firm. Pls help out on awubazhi@yahoo.ca.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by tunene: 10:03am On Nov 11, 2011
Now, especially for the structural engineers in the house, I hope you are aware that BS 8110, Bs 5950, etc have been superceded by the Eurocodes. If we, in Nigeria, say we are still using the affected BS codes then we are working with documents that are no longer valid. This is an issue that I think is being taken up at the level of NSE or NICE, etc.

Action: Begin to familiarize yourself with the Eurocodes. The only place I think we might have problems is which annex to adopt. May be we would adopt british as we do not have our own.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Ejiekwu1(m): 10:48am On Nov 11, 2011
@ TUNENE.
Now, especially for the structural engineers in the house, I hope you are aware that BS 8110, Bs 5950, etc have been superceded by the Eurocodes. If we, in Nigeria, say we are still using the affected BS codes then we are working with documents that are no longer valid. This is an issue that I think is being taken up at the level of NSE or NICE, etc.

Action: Begin to familiarize yourself with the Eurocodes. The only place I think we might have problems is which annex to adopt. May be we would adopt british as we do not have our own.

please i do not have the EUROCODE yet, can you give me a copy of it my e.mail is amakaeje@yahoo.com
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by tunene: 5:03pm On Nov 11, 2011
Ejiekwu 1:

please i do not have the  EUROCODE yet, can you give me a copy of it my e.mail is amakaeje@yahoo.com

Ejiekwu,
I have sent EN 1992 to you. I tried attaching the doc on Nairaland but I couldn't; I am constrained to 200kB and the doc is about 1.2MB.

Great people,

The problem is I do not have all of them but I have this one EN 1992 which supersedes BS 8110.
Euro codes are not readily available yet, you might need to buy either hard or soft copies online but I hope you find this one useful.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by defmute: 12:36am On Nov 13, 2011
eminemkayc:

Thanks. My brother, my area of research is practically undefined just like the Lim ((x^2 - 4)/(x-2)) as x approaches 2 cheesy.Well basically,Am deeply into advanced mathematical analysis and DEEP research, iv worked on membrane and plate theories for highly indeterminate structural elements and developed programs on my mathematical derivatives on thin plates nd shells, worked on Navier's solution to the fourth order governing equation as a solution to the true distortion of plates, now into buckling analysis of offshore submerged steel members. Workin from proofs of Euler's fundamental buckling theories of different end conditions for slender elements to the actual stress behavior of these deep water members under axial load. i hv also worked, now do work and consult on major engineering design projects for the IOCs, which involves in place, lifting, extreme condition analysis and production of 3D sacs/staad analytic models. . .  These things are quite tedious and take a chunk of my tym, but science, i tell you is interesting and has drawn me closer to my CREATOR i must admit!!
Dude,
I did a bit on thin plates and shells theories back in the days and I will be honest can't remember much about them,  However, I do more work currently on strength and stability of rigid conductor/riser analysis whether platform drilled, exploration or jackup over platform or tieback wells using the Baur and Stahl methodology which stems from the Euler buckling theories given in the AISC and all. In addition I have being working on design of fixed platform structures more recently similar analyses like what you described above i.e in-place analyses, crane operations, lifting and all for un-manned platforms.
I want to find out what was your specific research title and where did you do it? also can one do a research on these buckling theories? There are a lot of drawbacks in the theory when compared to some real life scenarios where they don't hold?
Any assist on this will do,  where about do u work now? and who do you work for?

P.S: If anybody needs a copy of any of the Eurocode norm, I can send it to them if you leave me with an email addy and the spec you need, whether EC2 or EC3 etc,

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Tnot(m): 1:34pm On Nov 13, 2011
Well done everybody, i felt so happy when i saw this thread and you are all doing a gtreat job.
I'll be going back to school for my HND in 1 of the Federal Polytechnic since i was not offered admission in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
Please i need your individual advise on which of this 2 civil engineering aspect to choose from (Highway OR Structural Engineering)

Plszzz, !
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Estiimable(m): 2:24pm On Nov 13, 2011
@tuene, thanks for the code.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by funextra20: 2:43pm On Nov 13, 2011
Get your POLAND,RUSSIA,GEORGIA,UKRAINE,SOUTH AFRICA(TOURIST)INVITATION,CALL ME ON 07086591720, NO FOR PAYMENT , SCHOOL FEES ON ARRIVAL, I HAVE BEING TO THIS COUNTRIES MYSELF AND I PROCESSED IT MYSELF AND I CAN DO IT FOR YOU AT A TOKEN FEE, WHEN WE MEET I SHOW YOUR PICTURES,AND I SPEAK RUSSIAN,POLISH.JUST CALL ME
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
@Tnot,

Please i need your individual advise on which of this 2 civil engineering aspect to choose from (Highway OR Structural Engineering)
No one can tell you what to do. You have to figure that out yourself. As a civil engineer though, you will learn all the basics in school. Practice will allow you the opportunity to branch out into any field that you find work or passion. I will advise you leave your options open at this point and don't be too bothered about specializing.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by rasputinn(m): 3:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
@ Tayo-D

Per the below quoted

Tayo-D :

Where exactly are you located? I have often wondered if we have competent engineers in Naija that are capable of designing overhead transmission lines. Are you more into the design aspect or construction? I tried to hook up with some local companies a while back who were more into the construction and not the design aspect of the job. We were planning on consolidating our skill sets as a fully indegenous one-stop shop for transmission line design and build. For one reason or another, the whole thing came apart

I will like to discuss with you on ways we can take position in order to play in the expected deregulated power generation and distribution market,I pray the president delivers on that pledge so another massive vista of opportunities will be unleashed
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Tnot(m): 4:49pm On Nov 14, 2011
@Tayo-D
Thanks alot, i really appreciate you advise.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 9:27pm On Nov 14, 2011
@Tnot,

@Tayo-D
Thanks alot, i really appreciate you advise.
You are welcome.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 9:35pm On Nov 14, 2011
@rasputinn,

I will like to discuss with you on ways we can take position in order to play in the expected deregulated power generation and distribution market,I pray the president delivers on that pledge so another massive vista of opportunities will be unleashed
No doubt a deregulation of the sector to allow the injection of private capital and innovation will create countless opportunities.  We are looking at not only a bunch of developmental work that will dwarf that of the telcos in scale, but an unleashing of the economy thorugh the availablitity of uninterrrupted power supply.

I have always kept the option open to help out and take advantage of the opportunities that might be available in Naija.  I will however do so to the extent that I retain my peace of mind and professional integrity.  The little enquiries that I have made suggest that I sell my soul for a piece of bread.  That is not going to happen.

That being said, I am open to hear what you have to say and can get in touch with you outside this forum for that purpose. 

I see you have roots in the telecomms industry, which I am also passionate about.  So which of the companies do you work for?
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by drmayor200: 9:47am On Nov 15, 2011
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2011
@topic,

The below are general skills and abilities that ABET requires of every engineering graduate:

1. An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
2. An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
3. An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs
4. An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
5. an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problem
6. An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
7. An ability to communicate effectively
8. The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
9. A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in, lifelong learning
10. A knowledge of contemporary issues
11. An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.

The Civil Engineering Body of Knowledge for the 21st Century added four outcomes to the eleven by ABET. These are:

1. an ability to apply knowledge in a specialized area related to civil engineering
2. an understanding of the elements of project management, construction, and asset management
3. an understanding of business and public policy and administration fundamentals
4. an understanding of the role of the leader and leadership principles and attitudes

Does anyone notice anything curious about the four listed outcomes above?

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by yusufu16: 7:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
[size=18pt]any body who needs EUROCODES should post their email addresses im giving it out free[/size]
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Estiimable(m): 10:11am On Nov 16, 2011
@yusufu, thanks for the code!
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by TayoD1(m): 2:17pm On Nov 16, 2011
@Estiimable,

I will advise you take down your email address as soon as you confirm that yusufu16 has copied it. The same goes for anyone who does not want to be bombarded by spam emails. I once gave out my email address on nairaland. Needless to say, I abandoned that email address because of spammers.
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by yusufu16: 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2011
yusufu16:

[size=18pt]any body who needs EUROCODES should post their email addresses im giving it out free[/size]

@Estiimable, [size=15pt]check ur email i hav send it please confirm[/size]
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by zigod1: 9:37am On Nov 17, 2011
Hi Guys,
It is very tremendous to have a thread like this one. Bigg up! to 'whitecris' for starting it up grin
I also wanna recognise guys like yusufu, eminemkayce, and stru guru for being so bigg in heart as to offer tutelage to budding engineers like myself who hope to further their careers in structural engineering cool.
Can any of you guys do me a favor?
1. Please recommend some excellent textbooks on Reinforced Concrete Design that you worked with in your budding days, and
2. Can you very kindly clue me in as to how Structural Engineers Bill their clients for their professional services?
pls add that of quantity surveyors too if you can.
Thanks. I hope i can one day pieces structural engineering topics among peers cool, the way you guys are doing it now
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Estiimable(m): 10:44am On Nov 18, 2011
Estiimable:

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Estiimable(m): 10:47am On Nov 18, 2011
[quote author=Estiimable link=topic=779021.msg9546172#msg9546172 date=1321190645][/quote]
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by Ejiekwu1(m): 5:39pm On Nov 23, 2011
any body who needs EUROCODES should post their email addresses im giving it out free

i need the EUROCODE please send it to mi e.mail ejiekwuone@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by squad1: 11:10am On Nov 30, 2011
Re: Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners by squad1: 11:34am On Nov 30, 2011
Pls anybody have an idea of where i can register for PMP exam in Abuja, will also be interested in any other civil engineering certification exams u know,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Customer Service Agents Might Go Hungry In The Nearest Future / MTN Nigeria Statement On Their Alleged Plan To Sack Staff / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.