Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J (26948 Views)

How To Transfer From State Government Teaching To Ministry / Should I Quit My Job And Continue With Business / Should I Quit My Pastoral Job To Be A Transporter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bucky001(m): 7:10am On Aug 07, 2023
How people do seek for advice between private and government jobs do baffles me.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by DanielsParker(m): 7:39am On Aug 07, 2023
Skyview01:

Later you go follow blame our politicians angry

If things were good, a government worker won’t earn 70k.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Love800(m): 7:54am On Aug 07, 2023
Pension is not for someone like me.

What i only like in the civil service is the time it gives u to do other side hustles. But if u are adventurous and have a very big goal in ur life, u will not be scared of taking the private one.
wunmi590:

More better than being giving all your salary and at the end of your service year nothing to show for it..

With the present increased in almost everything in Nigeria, it is hard for some people to even save 50kobo, so the pension will surely help in future...
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by DenreleDave(m): 8:00am On Aug 07, 2023
Mpotomisticai:
Bro I'm currently a lecturer in a federal university. I have turned down some private company jobs that were willing to pay me twice the amount I'm currently earning reasons being that; 1) it gives me time for self development 2) it gives me time for my side hustles 3) It gives me time for vacations and most importantly, 4) it gives me time for my family..
Guy u will see the differential in the salary as a big deal, but with time u will need time and energy for some side hustles. A private school job will not give u time. Remember that time is money.

Bro can you help me.. I'm a BSc graduate in finance... I would love to start in a fed university too
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by maasoap(m): 8:35am On Aug 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
interesting

I heard non-teaching staff working in education ministry is better than teaching staff? How true is that?
Yes, it could be true.
As a class teacher, only what you get at the end of the month is your salary (my wife is a teacher, my brother too). You are paying for everything from your salary from transport to snacks and others.
But in ministries including education, there's tendency that your bosses will be giving you some "change" once in a while anytime there is something for them to "share" in the office. That might be covering your transport and snacks, thus lifting pressure off your salary.
The workload too can't be the same, teachers work more. But if you love teaching, you might still want to go for it. It is all about one's passion
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 8:51am On Aug 07, 2023
maasoap:

Yes, it could be true.
As a class teacher, only what you get at the end of the month is your salary (my wife is a teacher, my brother too). You are paying for everything from your salary from transport to snacks and others.
But in ministries including education, there's tendency that your bosses will be giving you some "change" once in a while anytime there is something for them to "share" in the office. That might be covering your transport and snacks, thus lifting pressure off your salary.
The workload too can't be the same, teachers work more. But if you love teaching, you might still want to go for it. It is all about one's passion
alright

I just finished my service in a government secondary school in Ogun state. Please how can someone become a government school teacher? I was thinking going to the ministry of education but someone told me i shouldn't waste my time and money because they won't help me. He said i need to know someone (a politician, king or a top government officials) before they can help me. He said even if i didn't study education course provided i had a degree they can get me in

Please how true is his claim? Do i need to know those people he mentioned before getting a job in a government secondary school?
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by dboY1123(m): 8:52am On Aug 07, 2023
Dadatao1998:

State government pays principals less than 150k, lol 😂
Where did you get this from?
I am also a public secondary school teacher in Ogun state, and the last time i checked, the salary of principals in grade level 17 is around 350k to 400k.
And for your information, there are some principals in grade level 17 incase you don't know. Sometimes, it takes connection for principal to be in Permanent secretary, that's why you see grade level 17 still in principal level.
Next time, try and do your findings and know the truth before you come online and start bombarding people with false.

Shalom

Y'all should help the less privileged, please I studied Education and I can work in education, be it teaching or anyone..
Please boss just show me way my number is 2 3 4 7 0 2 5 6 0 4 3 1 8

I'll be immensely grateful
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 8:55am On Aug 07, 2023
Otunbakayce:
My colleague whose father was a teacher and a PhD holder earned more than her father who was a vice principal of a secondary school in Ibadan as an intern. Stop lying and misleading people to massage your ego. Principals earns below 250k.
please send me a DM let's meet. I will personally take you to the school i served and meet the principal. She will be glad to show her pay slip to someone like you. I am close to the principal. Some teachers earn far above the 250k you are even saying. This is for Ogun state o not ulmighty Lagos.

The principal earn around 400-500k monthly and she still get other money elsewhere.

Please send me a DM let's stake a bet to this if you wouldn't mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 8:57am On Aug 07, 2023
Solsix:

Nah lie, which ste government can pay you that??
Lagos state Ofcourse
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by maasoap(m): 9:04am On Aug 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
alright

I just finished my service in a government secondary school in Ogun state. Please how can someone become a government school teacher? I was thinking going to the ministry of education but someone told me i shouldn't waste my time and money because they won't help me. He said i need to know someone (a politician, king or a top government officials) before they can help me. He said even if i didn't study education course provided i had a degree they can get me in

Please how true is his claim? Do i need to know those people he mentioned before getting a job in a government secondary school?

You have to wait until form for recruiting is out. It is only after purchasing the form and attending interview that you begin to lobby politicians and/or career officers in ministry of education.
Concerning certificate in education, the person was right. But if you are a science graduate who will apply to be teaching subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Further Maths, they will overlook certificate in education because teachers are not enough for those subjects.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by fayruka(m): 9:10am On Aug 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
prof in Lagos state university earn in million if you care to know

We dey talk primary/secondary school teacher, u dey talk professor😀
Are u normal Bruv😏
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 9:11am On Aug 07, 2023
maasoap:

You have to wait until form for recruiting is out. It is only after purchasing the form and attending interview that you begin to lobby politicians and/or career officers in ministry of education.
Concerning certificate in education, the person was right. But if you are a science graduate who will apply to be teaching subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Further Maths, they will overlook certificate in education because teachers are not enough for those subjects.
Thank you sir

Who knows the form might be out. I heard the principal announcing to those interning with Ogun teach that the state government has decided to absorb them into the state teaching service. They were very happy.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 9:14am On Aug 07, 2023
fayruka:

We dey talk primary/secondary school teacher, u dey talk professor😀
Are u normal Bruv😏
i was responding to someone who claimed no teacher in secondary school or lecturers in university earn 700k
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by wunmi590(m): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2023
clockwisereport:

Lol. Primary school and LG staff were last played gratuity before I was born. I am talking about my state though. Public primary school and LG is the worst place to work in Nigeria

Lol 😆, God will help us....

We don't know the state he got the job, it may be Lagos that pay as at when due, or other state that pay gratuity promptly.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by IMASTEX: 10:45am On Aug 07, 2023
BoboNogoDie:
grin

Only an enemy of progress will tell you to reject the government offer.

Though the salary is very poor, government jobs are more flexible. You'll have enough time for other things. Also and more importantly, There's more job security than a private school.
If as a school teacher and a Nigerian he doesn't already know the fact & obvious reality you clearly highlighted above, then he should return his school certificate.
* Flexible working environment
* Job security
* Career progression
Those are the main deciding factor before money.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by latiephwald(m): 11:44am On Aug 07, 2023
Pls I beg you collect govt school offer oo
Lots of offers and advantages dey there. As a matter of fact if you are good you can alway be promoted to secondary school. Don't forget you can be sacked in a private firm unlike govt. There will be time to do side business.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by jideisaacs: 12:01pm On Aug 07, 2023
Quit the private school because government job is pensionable.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by micxwell(m): 2:29pm On Aug 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
government primary school o. I don't think i will advise op to accept it. If it were government secondary school then it's fair. Secondary school that he can get to principal and also get some juicy position before or after retirement. A principal in a government secondary school can earn close to 700k
Lol.... You dey whine me ba🤣🤣🤣
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 2:39pm On Aug 07, 2023
micxwell:

Lol.... You dey whine me ba🤣🤣🤣
level 17 principal in Lagos state earn close to that
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Cool83(m): 7:03pm On Aug 07, 2023
Mantilla:

It can be done, just talk to the principal..

You will just have to give everyone there cut

Lol, just like that ok . I work in the monitoring office, I know what am saying
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Cool83(m): 7:25pm On Aug 07, 2023
iSense247:
From 700k to 500k, he was not telling you the truth. State government pay principals less than 150k. They do retire at level 16. Level 17 is for PS.

Stop spreading false information

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by micxwell(m): 11:23pm On Aug 07, 2023
UnfairLife7:
level 17 principal in Lagos state earn close to that
Are you sure? Have you seen the salary scale??
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by elnino3(m): 11:55pm On Aug 07, 2023
maasoap:

Must someone be corrupt before he or she can remain on govt payroll? grin grin grin. Even a teacher for that matter, lol.
You even said that you are earning more than a professor, laughing. This is nairaland, an anonymous forum, I get your jokes.
Like if NNPC job , lecturing job, CBN job or FIRS is throwing your, you will still prefer to hold on tightly to your home lessons job. Home lessons job no mater lucrative it sounds is still for unemployed graduates trying to survive pending when a real job will surface

You don't have to be corrupt to be on govt payroll. But it's a very corrupt system and it'll definitely blend you in or frustrate you.

Nnpc job is not the basis of comparison here. Private school job and govt school job is.

I didn't say I'm just a home lesson teacher. I said I'm a teacher, home lessons is just a side thing.

And yes, gross monthly salary wise I am paid more than a professor.

That's it's an anonymous site doesn't mean everyone is lying.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Mantilla(m): 5:56am On Aug 08, 2023
Cool83:

Lol, just like that ok . I work in the monitoring office, I know what am saying

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by tctrills: 12:54pm On Aug 08, 2023
Mantilla:

Yeah save your sermon for the streets
You are confused. Who is preaching to you?
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Hamachi(f): 10:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
Bukola94:
I know someone in a secondary school about to retire, she told me she doesn't earn up to 70k. I doubt principal earn up to 300k. Most of the teaching jobs or principals post is by connection, especially those that are into politics. U have to lobby
No principal in Lagos State government school earns 700k in Lagos because I get inside information about secondary school teachers in Lagos state

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 11:42pm On Aug 08, 2023
Hamachi:
No principal in Lagos State government school earns 700k in Lagos because I get inside information about secondary school teachers in Lagos state
how much do they earn?
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by pacificom: 9:51am On Aug 09, 2023
Nice2023:

U mean it.

But I disagree with u.
My wife is a teacher in a reputable private school here in lagos and I can tell you that her experience is frustrating. My junior sister is a teacher under Oyo state education board, and I can tell you that she has better chances and job security than my wife. Opportunities surrounding government teaching job is far outweigh that of private.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bukola94: 10:39am On Aug 09, 2023
Hamachi:
how many lecturers are earning 700k in our federal ,state or private universities ? During the ASUU strike a prof told me he is not earning up to 500k. Sometimes he told me he is broke. Man become lean during that period

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Commission CV Submition And Registration / Pls Help Eeeeee / Nigeria's Best-paying Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.