Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J (26748 Views)

How To Transfer From State Government Teaching To Ministry / Should I Quit My Job And Continue With Business / Should I Quit My Pastoral Job To Be A Transporter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by cutegoddy(m): 6:33pm On Aug 06, 2023
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Nyanabo(m): 6:33pm On Aug 06, 2023
You sef you know you still de ask. Or is a subtle way to tell us that you just got a government 😂
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 6:36pm On Aug 06, 2023
Godswill41:
If private school is 200k and public school is 50k I will go for public school.... Job security and more time to do other businesses
you chose 50k over 200k? Nawa o
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by rainlover(m): 6:38pm On Aug 06, 2023
BigIyanga:

What is there about job security when you’re paid N50k less? So in a yr, you’re 600k richer? Why dont you set that 600k aside like in a fixed deposit or buy treasury bonds? In 5 yrs, that 600k/yr would have turned inN5m. The job security is you and your skills to monetize your skills so that people see value in paying you N40k for your time. Why cant you double up on this hustle??

What's the roi?
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Mantilla(m): 6:46pm On Aug 06, 2023
See if you can accept it and put someone to be doing the government school teaching job for you, while you give cut monthly.
Govt will owe for good 6months and there is nothing you will do .

Hold that your private job tight ooo

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by sureteeboy(m): 6:47pm On Aug 06, 2023
SpicyMimi:

To do other things right? Reason public schools in Nigeria are so bad.
It's not just public school. It's regrettable that a sizeable percentage of Government workers only go to work for wages. Some resume as late as 11am and still make it seem like they are doing you a favour by attending to you (especially when you fail to give them a tip). The lackadaisical attitude they exhibit is sufficiently worrisome to leave an individual perplexed when you see them fighting for salary increase, or blaming leaders in authority for corruption.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by lastchild: 6:52pm On Aug 06, 2023
So a teacher can earn 100k salary in a private school in this country where i taught for 25k and was very happy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by tosyne2much(m): 6:54pm On Aug 06, 2023
This shouldn't even be a question

Government job of course
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Deepocean(m): 6:59pm On Aug 06, 2023
Take the government job. If you continue with the private school, your mind will always be connecting with the government job after the opportunity is over. But if you take the government job, your mind may just be at the money they pay just for a few period of time. Opportunity comes but once. Anything can happen in private school, school could fold up, you could be sacked. Salary can be slashed, proprietor can die and wicked son that doesn't know and wouldn't care of your number of stay can take over and frustrate life out of you.

Think.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Hamachi(f): 7:00pm On Aug 06, 2023
UnfairLife7:
government primary school o. I don't think i will advise op to accept it. If it were government secondary school then it's fair. Secondary school that he can get to principal and also get some juicy position before or after retirement. A principal in a government secondary school can earn close to 700k
In which state?
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by UnfairLife7(m): 7:04pm On Aug 06, 2023
Hamachi:
In which state?
Lagos

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Inner19(m): 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2023
Please how much is International School Unilag Salary Scale Level 7 Step 2?

Teaching profession is meant to be the highest paid profession in the world.

Without Teachers, you won't have any other profession and that as a fact.

Any economy that wants to grow needs to invest in their Education sector.

Teachers are meant to be paid well. If not ehn, you will born and teach your kids all subjects by yourself till they grow up.

You need to see how some parents struggle to even teach their kids their simple home work especially Mathematics. Na real struggle grin

For some, you will end up teaching both the Father and the child the home work grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bukola94: 7:28pm On Aug 06, 2023
SpicyMimi:

What do you mean by ghost it?

Lol you see Nigeria ehnnn the government should not be blamed for bad governance.
ghost workers plenty in local government and state government

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bukola94: 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2023
sureteeboy:

It's not just public school. It's regrettable that a sizeable percentage of Government workers only go to work for wages. Some resume as late as 11am and still make it seem like they are doing you a favour by attending to you (especially when you fail to give them a tip). The lackadaisical attitude they exhibit is quite sufficiently worrisome to leave an individual perplexed when you see them fighting for salary increase, or blaming leaders in authority for corruption.
colleges and polytechnics in Nigeria are full of your description

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bukola94: 7:33pm On Aug 06, 2023
lastchild:
So a teacher can earn 100k salary in a private school in this country where i taught for 25k and was very happy.
20k&25k na them plenty pass
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Landmine1: 7:33pm On Aug 06, 2023
I won’t go into explanations, I’ll go into pros and cons of both.

PRIVATE SCHOOL/WORK

PROS.
1.) more room to work and develop your intellect. Your intellect can land you more better jobs if you are lucky and even promotions and contracts.

2.) pay and allowances are good.

3.) basic amenities are provided depending on the organization like good clean toilets, good computers for work, sometimes free WiFi to enable you work.

CONS.

1.) you must put in enough work to be due a promotion.

2.) you’ll not miss work except you have a very good reason.

3.) no time to develop in any other field or do anything for yourself.

4.) no job security, you can loose that job for any little reason, even as little as your employer not liking you anymore. Your employer relocating and closing down the school.

4.) your salary pay and increase depends solely on your employer, no union, no organization covers you in your job. Any fight for salary increment is done solely by you alone.

5.) your job is not pensionable whenever you retire.

GOVERNMENT WORK.

PROS.

1.) you don’t need to put in much effort into your work. Just the basics is enough and the organization is satisfied with you.

2.) you have ample time to do whatever you want, develop yourself or even engage in any other business or work.

3.) your promotion depends on the number of work years you have and not performance.

4.) you can make your own side money from your work. E.g, sell stuffs in the school and be a supplier to the school.

5.) you have organizations and unions fighting for you. These union can win you salary increase or allowance pay without you needing to do anything special or in particular.

6.) job security. Your appointment/job can’t just be terminated like that, you are given ample time and warning before you face a panel that will decide to terminate your employment if you have aired greviously. Your organization can’t just wake up one day and stop existing, leaving you jobless.

5.) you are entitled to loans. Although this too can be said for private but banks easily rely on government workers more.

6.) you are entitled to pensions after you retire.

CONS.

1.) pay is low.

2.) you can’t grow, no room to work hard and develop more because no matter your effort, promotion depends solely on number of years you have spent with the organization and your connections.

3.) allowance can be eaten or stolen by your leaders and no reason given to you for why you haven’t received it.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Lekan239(m): 7:36pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends
Please advise me, I recently got a government teaching slot in a primary school, where I would probably earn 70k for a start ,but where I work presently in a private school where I teach government I earn 100k as basic salary and private lessons give me 40k monthly

Should I quit the private school for a government school? For job security
lol. Make another covid 19 lock down no come o. So private teachers no go start to lament
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Rapture123(m): 7:37pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends
Please advise me, I recently got a government teaching slot in a primary school, where I would probably earn 70k for a start ,but where I work presently in a private school where I teach government I earn 100k as basic salary and private lessons give me 40k monthly

Please where is the school located?? I have someone who is good at Mathematics and Science subjects
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bukola94: 7:37pm On Aug 06, 2023
Hamachi:
In which state?
I know someone in a secondary school about to retire, she told me she doesn't earn up to 70k. I doubt principal earn up to 300k. Most of the teaching jobs or principals post is by connection, especially those that are into politics. U have to lobby

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by elnino3(m): 7:40pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends

It depends on who you are as a person.

I'll give you reasons.

Govt. Job is stable( meaning you can't be fired) even when clearly incompetent. Are you competent?

Govt job pace is slow, relaxed and ultimately corrupt. Are you?

Govt job might give you chance to do other things must times at the expense of the students. Do you have another biz at the moment?

Govt job is shitty pay and is often delayed for years. Are you ok with this?

Private school.

Private school job is demanding and will test your competence. Are you competent in what you studied?

Private school job will take your weekends and evenings in most cases. Are you ready to do that extra work, esp when you know it'll benefit your student at your expense?

Private school job will be strict, require you to better yourself etc. Are you ready for that or you're done learning?

Private school job will pay well, on time and might never owe.

Ultimately, the decision is yours.

But as a private school teacher of over a decade, I can tell you it's rewarding especially when you're in the right place, right school, actively improving yourself and putting in the work.

As a private school teacher in Lagos, I currently earn more than professors in federal university and that's not all. I have developed myself, my competence and my knowledge(extra degrees and CPDs).

On the side, I currently charge 15k for a session of lesson(2hrs max) and do lessons almost everyday of the work week. And all these improvement happened within the past 5 years, the first 5 years was me playing around waiting for something better, not knowing that I can multiply what I had in my hands.

Decide what you want my guy.

Whichever path you decide, good luck to you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by EndRape2(f): 7:44pm On Aug 06, 2023
Which private school pays 100k, please when you are leaving kindly show us the school so i can go drop CV

ost=124920910]Good day my friends

Should I quit the private school for a government school? For job security[/quote]
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Bukola94: 7:46pm On Aug 06, 2023
Inner19:
Please how much is International School Unilag Salary Scale Level 7 Step 2?

Teaching profession is meant to be the highest paid profession in the world.

Without Teachers, you won't have any other profession and that as a fact.

Any economy that wants to grow needs to invest in their Education sector.

Teachers are meant to be paid well. If not ehn, you will born and teach your kids all subjects by yourself till they grow up.

You need to see how some parents struggle to even teach their kids their simple home work especially Mathematics. Na real struggle grin

For some, you will end up teaching both the Father and the child the home work grin
I once teach for 7k has a fresh graduate. The owner of the school said because it was statement of result I submitted instead of original results. I submit original results, he said he can't pay me what I later requested. Left to take a driving job of 20k,if I start to talk wetin eyes don see & insults because of meagre salary. Salary earners dey see shege,especially the low income earners. U finish your salary within a week. Before salary enter,debts will have pile up. Salary is like what yoruba call erunrun akara,like tiny hair inside the nose

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:48pm On Aug 06, 2023
Blackazuma99:
Take the government job, ghost it and return to your private job, government work is 35years compared to private, I doubt if the private school will keep paying you after 6 years with them.
u are advising him to do ghosting na ppple like una de encourage corruption...

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by sharone21(f): 7:49pm On Aug 06, 2023
ajimo54:

Don't quit. Are u on pension in the private school? Do u have an RSA?

Many private schools give pension.

For the type of salary he earns in the private school, the environment/ esthetics will be good but not many public schools have that and if he is one that gets irritated easily by this, he will not really love being in such government schools. He should visit this public primary school 1st.

Though, he can still work in public school and earn from private school lessons as one student alone in good private school will give him N40-60,000 however, not many public primary school pupils will be able to afford lessons unless they do group lessons and most times this is done if it is Common Entrance time though many will want to go to public Secondary schools which is already sure for them, admission wise.

At a time, many in private schools remained and some moved to public while some in public moved to big private schools. But, work is much in private schools especially when you are following British curriculum and if he doesn't mind, then no problem afterall, the extra thing to give him money is what he is already doing.

He needs to also think of the future, to ensure he is part of Teachers Registration Council incase tomorrow travelling out becomes open or an option....
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by lordprogress: 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2023
MorataFC:
Lies from the pit of hell, you get paid by your levels though principal may have the opportunity to embezzle money than headmaster but got the same salary structure being determined by level.
See where your mind go bad guy. grin grin you are right though most principal that live large are crooks that divert funds met for other things.
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by TeeNanu(m): 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2023
Soundminded:
Good day my friends

If it's Lagos State government teaching job grab it, steady salary, ample free time to run side business, plus other allowance, from level 14 up just dey enjoy dey go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by LawyerLomo(m): 7:57pm On Aug 06, 2023
DanielsParker:
Why choose when you can do both? Take up the government Sch, find your way around it, settle head teacher, then continue with the private Sch .

This isn’t a good advice but this is Nigeria, you have to survive.

OP

This advice is gold, considering the economy.
Man gas wack
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:02pm On Aug 06, 2023
BigIyanga:

What is there about job security when you’re paid N50k less? So in a yr, you’re 600k richer? Why dont you set that 600k aside like in a fixed deposit or buy treasury bonds? In 5 yrs, that 600k/yr would have turned inN5m. The job security is you and your skills to monetize your skills so that people see value in paying you N40k for your time. Why cant you double up on this hustle??
can u shed More light on this Treasury Bond...
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by sinola(m): 8:02pm On Aug 06, 2023
If you have side husssle, go for public school but if you don't have, go for private.

If you know, you know
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Cool83(m): 8:05pm On Aug 06, 2023
Bukola94:
I know someone in a secondary school about to retire, she told me she doesn't earn up to 70k. I doubt principal earn up to 300k. Most of the teaching jobs or principals post is by connection, especially those that are into politics. U have to lobby

Hmmm, what's her level? Principal/ those in level 17 earned close to 400k in ogun state
Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Nwanna2588: 8:06pm On Aug 06, 2023
Indubitably, the noble pursuit of imparting knowledge within the esteemed confines of private educational institutions, though deemed illustrious and esteemed, oftentimes entails a laborious and arduous endeavor, a veritable test of one's mettle and endurance. In contradistinction, I espouse the notion that the hallowed halls of public schools, with their egalitarian ethos, proffer a more fortuitous and felicitous alternative, for they offer the reassuring solace of job security, a boon not easily overlooked in these turbulent times.

Moreover, it behooves us to reflect upon the portentous winds of change that gust upon the fiscal landscape, for it is known that with the persistence of subsidy removal, the specter of an impending augmentation of the minimum wage looms ever closer. A seismic shift in economic paradigms is thus foretold, and in this tempestuous tide, public schools may indeed emerge as veritable bastions of stability, granting succor and sustenance to educators seeking to weather the storm.

In this dialectic of contrasting educational realms, we discern the dichotomy of struggle and security, where the allure of the public school's bulwark against economic vicissitudes resonates with sagacity, offering a sheltered haven amidst the turbulent waters of fiscal flux. Thus, ponder upon this juxtaposition, and make an informed choice to chart a course that aligns harmoniously with your aspirations and values.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J by Inner19(m): 8:10pm On Aug 06, 2023
Bukola94:
I once teach for 7k has a fresh graduate. The owner of the school said because it was statement of result I submitted instead of original results. I submit original results, he said he can't pay me what I later requested. Left to take a driving job of 20k,if I start to talk wetin eyes don see & insults because of meagre salary. Salary earners dey see shege,especially the low income earners. U finish your salary within a week. Before salary enter,debts will have pile up. Salary is like what yoruba call erunrun akara,like tiny hair inside the nose

I understand. I've been there. I've passed through it so I know. My first salary as a Teacher in Lagos was 5K per month grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

IPI Powertech Graduate Trainee Recruitment Program 2017 / Apply For AOS Orwell Graduate Trainee Recruitment / Employment Test: 1+1=? Justify Your Assertion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.