Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? (5613 Views)

The Right Prayer For Repentance From Sin / Practical Ways To Remain Free From Sin And Demonic Control. / Man Carries Cross In V.I, Lagos To Apologise To Jesus For Sinning Against Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Nobody: 4:04am On Aug 13, 2023
This is one area of our Biblical journey we often shy away from talking about.

I am certain I am not alone in this regard.

How does it feel if at 9. am on a Sunday morning, I come out for an altar call after a powerful heart-shattering and guilt-provoking sermon, give my life to Christ; I am prayed for and declare born again, but I unconsciously commit a sin on my way back home?

And with that guilt, I go back to sin full time like it was before the alter call?

I guess I am not alone in this regard. I have attended church services countless times and listened to sermons and teachings that I can't recollect, and at the end of such endeavour, I obey the alter call one minute, and the next minute, I am back to fornicating. This is one thing that has kept a lot of people out of this spiritual journey.

Even Pastors are not immune to sin, as some have found themselves committing sin at one point or the other. I guess Apostle Paul suffered same in the Bible. And this brings me to my question.

Does being again make you immune to sin, and is it a vaccine against sinning?

Is it that if I sin, it will no longer count against me because I have Grace?

Or is it a merry-go-round of sinning and asking for forgiveness shortly afterwards until we get better at not sinning anymore?

And if the latter is the case, why do churches hate and guilt-shame members when they sin but defend pastors when they do the same?

5 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Kobojunkie: 5:00am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:
This is one area of our Biblical journey we often shy away from talking about. I am certain I am not alone in this regard. How does it feel if at 9. am on a Sunday morning, I come out for an altar call after a powerful heart-shattering and guilt-provoking sermon, give my life to Christ; I am prayed for and declare born again, but I unconsciously commit a sin on my way back home? And with that guilt, I go back to sin full time like it was before the alter call?
I guess I am not alone in this regard. I have attended church services countless times and listened to sermons and teachings that I can't recollect, and at the end of such endeavour, I obey the alter call one minute, and the next minute, I am back to fornicating. This is one thing that has kept a lot of people out of this spiritual journey.
Even Pastors are not immune to sin, as some have found themselves committing sin at one point or the other. I guess Apostle Paul suffered same in the Bible. And this brings me to my question.
■ Does being again make you immune to sin, and is it a vaccine against sinning?
■ Is it that if I sin, it will no longer count against me because I have Grace?
■ Or is it a merry-go-round of sinning and asking for forgiveness shortly afterwards until we get better at not sinning anymore?
■ And if the latter is the case, why do churches hate and guilt-shame members when they sin but defend pastors when they do the same
?
1. If this is what you meant when you said you were born-again then I am sorry to tell you is all you did was submit to the ritual of your pastors and mogs which they also term being "born-again" and nothing more. That ritual has no connection to God or Jesus Christ and and Kingdom of God. undecided

2. No, to be born-again --- born of water and born of the Spirit of Eternal Life(a possession by His person)----- means to become a citizen for the Kingdom of God. The process does not purge you of your past sins nor does it immunize you against future sins. As you continue to sin, your sin debt simply continues to pile on. undecided

3. Like I said, the Spirit of Eternal Life aka grace is not given for the purging of sins. Rather He is gifted by God to everyone who will choose to become born-again. Have you ever been received a gift for signing up to for a bank account or test driving a car? Well, think of it as a free gift of Eternal Life(grace) as a gift God hands out to each and everyone who signs up for the Kingdom of God by becoming born-again. The gift is sets you free from the curse of Death and that is that. undecided

4. First things first, God does not answer the petitions of the unrighteous. What this means is that so long as you remain unrighteous, even your pleas for forgiveness go unanswered by God. Only the righteous have their every petition answered by God, including their requests for forgiveness of sins. Second, sin(disobedience) is a choice and so even after you become born-again, it is through self-discipline that you learn to continously submit and obey the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. God is not going to hold your hand as that work has to be done by you to prove yourself worthy of Jesus Christ. It is by continually choosing obedience, rather than disobedience(sin), that you not only overcome your urge to sin, but you also pay off your sin debt in full. undecided

5. Again, your churches and their many rituals have nothing to do with God or Jesus Christ. undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Exmilitant(m): 5:16am On Aug 13, 2023
Simply put, being born again is getting yourself registered as a member of your church. (a sort of initiation) a certificate is issued you.

4 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Nobody: 5:18am On Aug 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. If this is what you meant when you said you were born-again then I am sorry to tell you is all you did was submit to the ritual of your pastors and mogs which they also term being "born-again" and nothing more. That ritual has no connection to God or Jesus Christ and and Kingdom of God. undecided

2. No, to be born-again --- born of water and born of the Spirit of Eternal Life(a possession by His person)----- means to become a citizen for the Kingdom of God. The process does not purge you of your past sins nor does it immunize you against future sins. As you continue to sin, your sin debt simply continues to pile on. undecided

3. Like I said, the Spirit of Eternal Life aka grace is not given for the purging of sins. Rather He is gifted by God to everyone who will choose to become born-again. Have you ever been received a gift for signing up to for a bank account or test driving a car? Well, think of it as a free gift of Eternal Life(grace) as a gift God hands out to each and everyone who signs up for the Kingdom of God by becoming born-again. The gift is sets you free from the curse of Death and that is that. undecided

4. First things first, God does not answer the petitions of the unrighteous. What this means is that so long as you remain unrighteous, even your pleas for forgiveness go unanswered by God. Only the righteous have their every petition answered by God, including their requests for forgiveness of sins. Second, sin(disobedience) is a choice and so even after you become born-again, it is through self-discipline that you learn to continously submit and obey the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. God is not going to hold your hand as that work has to be done by you to prove yourself worthy of Jesus Christ. It is by continually choosing obedience, rather than disobedience(sin), that you not only overcome your urge to sin, but you also pay off your sin debt in full. undecided

5. Again, your churches and their many rituals have nothing to do with God or Jesus Christ. undecided

Your questions 2 and 4 are confusing. I am tempted to think you are a witness. (JW).

Can you juxtapose 2 with the concept of forgiveness of sins?

I will be grateful if you can relate it t your point 4. And my question is, how do you explain the concept of sin?

Cos, if you focus on the sin of the Bible alone, then marrying more than one wife might be considered a sin. Whereas, in Islam or some Western society, it is not.

Are you saying such a person will go to hell?

By my beliefs, I do not think God is affiliated with any religion, and the concept of sin is what your heart defines as one. If God is within you, He will let you know when you sin or are about to sin and rebuke you.

Perhaps I am having a hard time balancing my beliefs as an Omnist with the teachings of the Bible, and this is where I need your expertise.

bUT WHAT DO YOU THINK?

1 Like

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Kobojunkie: 5:36am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:
Can you juxtapose 2 with the concept of forgiveness of sins?
■ I will be grateful if you can relate it t your point 4. And my question is, how do you explain the concept of sin?
■ Cos if you focus on the sin of the Bible alone, then marrying more than one wife might be considered a sin. Whereas, in Islam or some Western society, it is not. Are you saying such a person will go to hell?
By my believes, I do not think God is affiliated with any religion, and the concept of sin is what your heart defines as one. If God is within you, He will let you know when you sin or are about to sin and rebuke you. bUT WHAT DO YOU THINK?
1. There is no concept of forgiveness of sins. There is God who only answers the prayers of the Righteous. What that means is that as an unrighteous, even if you pray and ask God to forgive you your sins, He will not. Why? Because you are not first Righteous. undecided

2. Concept of sin? Qto have sinned against God in Genesis 3, what Adam did was directly disobey God's commandment given to him, Adam, in Genesis 2 vs 15 - 16[/b]. Sin is disobedience of God's Law, that is what it is. undecided

3. Is God's Law same as western Law or Islamic Law though? I don't understand your question at all. Why would a person live by any other Law but God's Law I'd the Kingdom of God is what he truly desires. undecided

4. All you have done is define your own god apart from the God of Scripture. If you do not care for the God of Scripture, then ignore Him completely. Religion is a waste of a person's lifespan. undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Nobody: 5:53am On Aug 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. There is no concept of forgiveness of sins. There is God who only answers the prayers of the Righteous. What that means is that as an unrighteous, even if you pray and ask God to forgive you your sins, He will not. Why? Because you are not first Righteous. undecided

2. Concept of sin? Qto have sinned against God in Genesis 3, what Adam did was directly disobey God's commandment given to him, Adam, in Genesis 2 vs 15 - 16[/b]. Sin is disobedience of God's Law, that is what it is. undecided

3. Is God's Law same as western Law or Islamic Law though? I don't understand your question at all. Why would a person live by any other Law but God's Law I'd the Kingdom of God is what he truly desires. undecided

4. All you have done is define your own god apart from the God of Scripture. If you do not care for the God of Scripture, then ignore Him completely. Religion is a waste of a person's lifespan. undecided

Are you a Jehovah Witness?
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Kobojunkie: 6:01am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:
■ qAre you a Jehovah Witness?
What aspect of any of what I have said so far is JW and not scripture. Be specific! undecided
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
What aspect of any of what I have said so far is JW and not scripture. Be specific! undecided

Why are you evasive? I only asked a simple question.

4 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Steep: 8:23am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:

How does it feel if at 9. am on a Sunday morning, I come out for an altar call after a powerful heart-shattering and guilt-provoking sermon, give my life to Christ; I am prayed for and declare born again, but I unconsciously commit a sin on my way back home?

And with that guilt, I go back to sin full time like it was before the alter call?

Or is it a merry-go-round of sinning and asking for forgiveness shortly afterwards until we get better at not sinning anymore?

And if the latter is the case, why do churches hate and guilt-shame members when they sin but defend pastors when they do the same?

Understand according to the gospel we are sinners by our human nature. when we believed in Jesus a new nature is created in us in this new nature we are told to walk.

We are not saved by our righteousnesses and we can't keep our salvation by our righteousnesses but it is God that preserves us.
However we are tempted to walk in the flesh
and we are to rather mortify the flesh so we can walk in the spirit.
When we does sin, John said we have an advocate with the father which is Jesus christ the righteous since, we are in fellowship with the father and son, we confess our sin to him so we can be cleansed.

Confessing our sin means we are in the truth if we pretend we don't have sin then we are liars and our salvation is questionable.

People who preach that we don't need to confess our sins do not have real relationship with God.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by YelloweWest: 9:35am On Aug 13, 2023
You're nor exactly immunizated from sin because we are human.

However the Holy Spirt dwells in you. When you sin, you ask for mercy immediately and you make a conscious effort to avoid sin

4 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by illicit(m): 9:35am On Aug 13, 2023
Not really

It means you will identify sin

And peradventure u sinned, you will be remorseful and gravitate towards making amends

You will avoid sins

5 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by loadedvibes: 9:35am On Aug 13, 2023
Yes
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Wizardslayer: 9:35am On Aug 13, 2023
No mortal man is holy and born again no matter the pretence.

3 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by alBHAGDADI: 9:35am On Aug 13, 2023
The truth is you may not be genuinely born again, that is why you answer the altar call every now and then. A genuine born again Christian doesn't need to answer altar calls.

Being born again is a one time thing, not something that you do everytime, especially to escape from sin. When your parents gave birth to you, it happened once. Since then, you have not returned to your mother's womb to be born again by her, neither have you ceased being her child because you will always carry her DNA.

Your problem is that you don't understand what being born again means as used by Christians. The moment you believe that Jesus died for your sins to save you, in that instant, you become born again. That means you have experienced a new birth or a second birth. This second birth involves God who gives birth to you just as your mother gave birth to you. Your mother is a flesh, so when she gave birth to you, she gave birth to a flesh. This means you inherited her traits which includes a sinful nature, which is why you always sin. God is a spirit. When he gave birth to you, he gave birth to a spirit. That spirit now lives inside of your flesh. That spirit cannot sin because it inherited the traits of God who can never sin.

1 john 3:9 KJV
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

That is why true Christians believe you can never lose your salvation. Every sin you commit as a Christian is against your flesh and is committed in the flesh not the spirit. When you fornicate, your flesh is involved, not your saved spirit from God. But I ce you are not saved, your spirit suffers from sin as well as your flesh.

So, my friend, accept it that Jesus has saved you for all eternity and has given you eternal life as promised in John 3:6 for believing. Once you believe, your soul is more than 100% guaranteed of heaven and nothing can ever prevent you from that destination. However, if you sin, your flesh will be punished. For example, stealing is a sin. If you get caught stealing, you could go to jail, which is bad. However, when you die, those sins won't be held against your spirit because Jesus has been punished for them already. He has paid the price.

For more, visit my profile; you are likely to see a topic that will guide you properly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by officialfysh(m): 9:36am On Aug 13, 2023
Yes you’re if the process of you been born again is in genuine love and acceptance to the things of God
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Chibuzoripob: 9:36am On Aug 13, 2023
undecided
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by GanagiBeetrus: 9:37am On Aug 13, 2023
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by OBTOREPA(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:

No sir/ ma for it is written " Shall we continue in sin sin while the grace may abound?
God forbids, how can we who are dead to sin ,sin there after ?".
2 Cor. 5:17. Only said" If any man be in christ,he is a new creature, old things are passed away and behold all things are becomes new"

2 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by wittywriter: 9:40am On Aug 13, 2023
Wizardslayer:
No mortal man is holy and born again no matter the pretence.

YelloweWest:
You're nor exactly immunizated from sin because we are human.

However the Holy Spirt dwells in you. When you sin, you ask for mercy immediately and you make a conscious effort to avoid sin

Wittyness
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Porksupplyib: 9:43am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:

Are you a Jehovah Witness?

Don't bother asking. You should know by now. grin
Please don't bother engaging her for sanity sake.

Cus She(Kobojunkie) is without sin, I mean "zero sin" so God only answers her prayers. grin

1 Like

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by AllBlack: 9:43am On Aug 13, 2023
nope
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:45am On Aug 13, 2023
Jesus met a rich man who asked him about eternal life!

Jesus didn't mention being born again!

Obey the commandments and follow him just as Moses and other prophets told their followers!
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Eriokanmi: 9:45am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:

NO! That's why the bible says you should pray without ceasing, watch and pray also. There's bound to be temptation, either at work places, or as you drive your way home, or even inside the church....everywhere you go.

You're not immune to sinning after being born again. But you don't allow that sin to near you. You can always overcome by praying and dwelling in the word of God daily. That's the best way you can keep His commandments.

Remember what happened to the disciples after Jesus resurrected? Those who were into fishing business before meeting Christ went back to their former business, until the day Christ appeared to them and they went back to the ministry. As believers, we should also discipline ourselves and imbibe the spirit of self control.

2 Likes

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:45am On Aug 13, 2023
Yes being born again makes you free from sin but doesn't make you immune to sin automatically.

Now, when you get born again, you're free from past, present and FUTURE sins because Christ died and took all sins upon himself for our sakes. However, you're are not immune to sin as you'll still fall from time to time in the early stages of your walk with God. But as the holy spirit begins the Sanctification work on you, you'll grow over time to become perfect/ immune to sin that you'll no longer fall into sin easily or ever again and that is why the bible says Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy.

So as a born again, it's going to take a process (sanctification) for you to get to that point where you become immune to sin and it's the work of the holy Spirit to ensure that happens.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by luckyz4rea(m): 9:46am On Aug 13, 2023
litigator:

Whilst this example does not absolutely explain what I want to say as no explanation from man can fully convey the revelation of God’s word, vaccination may be a major measure like salvation. When we are vaccinated, it does not mean we are not susceptible.

The kind of choices we make, the foods we eat and the environment we stay or create can determine if we will be immune to whatever we were vaccinated for.

You can be vaccinated against malaria and you are making choices or staying in a mosquito infested place. Sooner rather than later, you will lose your immunity and get even terribly ill.

1 Like

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Yankee101: 9:48am On Aug 13, 2023
It gives you power to overcome sin

1 Like

Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by Jokerman(m): 9:49am On Aug 13, 2023
Lol...

No o... Once saved always saved is a dangerous teaching as much as the JW saying Angel Michael is the same as Jesus Christ
Re: Does Being Born Again Mean I Am Free From Sin And Immunized Against Sinning? by WardLeader152: 9:51am On Aug 13, 2023
Yes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Miracles In Jesus Name - Crippled Leg Grows Out (video) / Pope Francis Gives Illuminati Hand Signs Before Addressing Congress(pix) / Does Your Pastor Sit In A Bigger Chair On The Altar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.