Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,288 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons (45299 Views)

The Disadvantages Of Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools / Holiday Lessons, Summer Lessons, Whatever They Call It, Is A Scam! / All These Holiday Lessons Are Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Oduok(m): 11:43am On Aug 21, 2023
Sending kids to holiday lessons makes no sense.

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.

1042 Likes 138 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by BOSSkesh(m): 11:45am On Aug 21, 2023
I’ve said this before

212 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Chibuzoripob: 11:47am On Aug 21, 2023
cool u are right

149 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by BOSSkesh(m): 11:49am On Aug 21, 2023
Children need time to develop, holidays are meant for children to refresh and play out their hearts
A child spends 3months or so for an academic term and is given like 3weeks+ for holiday,you’ll see Mumu parents still take that child that is worn out already looking for extra tutors
What will a child learn in 3 weeks that he didn’t learn in. 3 months
8 year olds are already in secondary school… doing what??
Na millennia parents sha

252 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Rickmann: 11:59am On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.

This is spot on.
You nailed it.

150 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Jewessgratitud3: 12:37pm On Aug 21, 2023
Now I know where the problem is coming from. Parents!!!!!... Allow us breath!!!!

You claim summer lessons are not important or beneficial now but tomorrow you'll go and start complaining to the schools that your wards are not doing well in their studies and threaten to withdraw them meanwhile you're here discouraging what will help the school to help your wards excel academically

If a child cannot read and understand basic English, how will he thrive in other extra curricular activities?
If he can't solve maths, how will he be able to do quick mental calculations during the so called activities? I don't get it!

Little wonder why we teach from morning till noon still nothing sticks and they can't retain much in their memory because all you parents do is let them play throughout after school and on weekends and they come the following day/week with empty brains. Please!!!

Your wards need this lessons so they don't become mentally lazy and forget the little they were able to gain before they vacated so all the money you spent the previous term doesn't go to waste. Now, you coming here to discourage this simply means you don't care about their academics which is the leverage and foundation any child needs to climb the ladder of success in a system that works.

I'm shocked to say the least. To think this is coming from 21century parents who know very well that the moral standards of the society has dropped so badly that children no longer have interest in going to school and all they want to do is play and do social media. Na wa o.

You can use weekends to send them for creative activities not this long summer Biko. Before one pikin go come dey tell me, Miss, I'm in number A.

26 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by dkdmy: 12:37pm On Aug 21, 2023
Agreed! Most parents do it because they are busy!
Not easy to be a parent! How our parents raised 6 of us remains a mystery to me

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by phayvoursky(m): 12:37pm On Aug 21, 2023
What does the average Nigerian parent know?

Everything na book… Skills are for the unsuccessful they said…

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by SoftP(m): 12:37pm On Aug 21, 2023
Send them to farm during holidays….

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Angelfrost(m): 12:37pm On Aug 21, 2023
Leave them... Very dull parents creating anti-social and dull kids.

When we were growing up, these long summer holidays were things to look forward to... They were awesome times of bonding with loved ones, visiting long distant relatives, learning our cultures and traditions, visiting lovely towns, skill acquisition, etc.

These made us return back in September's new session with vivid and interesting stories, refreshed and eager to learn, and more focused.

How can kids attend school almost every day of the year??! You guys have turned formal education into Bank work (These ones even still go on monthly leave at least).

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Throwback: 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
I agree.

If a child has no academic challenge that was evident in the concluded term or session, the holiday is for rest and play, or better still acquiring vocational or extracurricular skills as you have espoused.

But many parents are looking for a means to abandon their own responsibility of care, while some are obsessed with academics to the point that they are willing to turn their children to academic robots.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by dopedan(m): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Already decided to give my children different musical instruments each to master, different sports to engage in and different skills to learn apart from their education, the next generation wont be funny if you have nothing to offer
Parents please learn from this, your child can be the next lebron james, messi, drake, ayra star, elon musk, Anthony Joshua, everything is not school school school

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Timagex(m): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
I blame this on the mentally of "band wagon". Once someone does something in Nigeria, everybody will follow.

Mummy junior sent junior to go and do holiday coaching, therefore, I should send my child too.

That is the main reason everybody wants to buy corrola.

That is the same reason everybody wants to Japa.

That was the reason many people jumped into e hailing (Uber and stuffs).

The herd mentality in Nigeria is the problem.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE!! I AM THE WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by circular(m): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

You've said it all.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by CondemnBattery(f): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Apt.
But if you no send your own, madam go think say you're not fatherly enough

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by SIXTEENTH(m): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Seriously the things are getting out of hand, why did the white called it Holidays then? I had a discussion with my wife recently concerning such extra summer class lessons

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by PrimadonnaO(f): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

I'm on this table!

These new generation kids aren't balanced.

Skewed in many ways

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Nice2023(m): 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
That is why many come out becoming graduate liabilities.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by vengertime: 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
Back in the early 90s in Surulere, I would come back from school around 2pm rest for only 30min (basically just eat lunch) and then go to our teachers house for lessons from 4-6pm every day .

Long vacation is worse, we would go to lessons from 9am -1pm .

In the morning that I would want to watch morning cartoons on local stations because there was no DStv then, DStv came into Nigeria in 1996 and the whole of my street only one person could afford it, and it's usually 419 people. It was ridiculously expensive then, and the dish could cover the front of a whole house sef. (Sarcasm)

After all that stress person still dey find job. Lost the one that I had in 2016 immediately APC started implementing killer economic policies that crippled Nigeria into recession .

To young parents out there, stop over stressing your children. Cut down TV time and buy them test books and drawing books they would enjoy reading without being forced to.

And reduce the spanking, I've noticed that when we were flogged and being scolded too much when we were younger we grow old and not have confidence to express ourselves. Because some of us were not allowed to go outside to play.

Take a dog as an example, when you buy a puppy and you show it lots of love and caring, when it grow older it will be so confident and not be too afraid of anything. Unlike when you flog a puppy too much because you think you're training it well, the puppy would grow older and start being too afraid of anything.

I know to be a parent is not easy but don't make it look like a military training camp.

The first 12 years of your child (creche - JSS 2 is the most important time of their educational foundation, if you mess that time up then you have to get ready to help him or her wiggle through secondary school and then University.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by confessionsad: 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
Once in a village nestled between rolling hills and shimmering rivers, there lived a group of parents who, like all parents, wanted the best for their children. They believed that sending their children to school year-round was the key to success. Little did they know, a wise elder named Amara had a different perspective.

Amara had traveled far and wide, seeking knowledge and wisdom from all corners of the world. She had seen that education was not just about textbooks and exams, but about nurturing curiosity, creativity, and life skills. One day, as the villagers debated sending their children to vacation lessons, Amara shared her wisdom.

She gathered the parents under the shade of the ancient tree in the village square and began to tell a story.

"Once upon a time," Amara began, "there was a young tree that grew in a lush forest. Its branches reached high, but its roots remained shallow. The tree spent all its days chasing the sunlight, ignoring its own foundation. One year, a powerful storm arrived, and the tree, lacking deep roots, was uprooted and cast aside."

Amara paused and looked at the parents, their eyes captivated by her words. "Our children," she continued, "are like those trees. Sending them to school year-round might provide them with knowledge, but without a strong foundation of life skills, creativity, and emotional intelligence, they might struggle to weather the storms of life."

She went on to share stories of great thinkers and leaders who had taken time away from traditional education to explore the world, learn practical skills, and develop a strong sense of self. She spoke of inventors, artists, and explorers who had embraced their passions during breaks from formal schooling, ultimately becoming pioneers in their fields.

The parents listened intently, realizing that education was more than what happened within the classroom walls. Inspired by Amara's wisdom, they decided to create a new tradition in their village. They established a variety of summer programs where children could learn everything from gardening and woodworking to music and storytelling. These experiences not only enriched their lives but also helped them discover their passions.

As the years went by, the village became known for its well-rounded, confident, and resourceful young individuals. The children, now grown, looked back fondly on those summers of exploration, grateful for the chance to learn beyond textbooks.

And so, the village flourished, as the children who had once been sent to school year-round now embarked on diverse and fulfilling journeys, armed not only with knowledge but also with a profound understanding of life's complexities. And all of this was thanks to the wisdom of Amara and the courage of the parents to embrace a different kind of education.
Oduok:

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Olatundex22(m): 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
grin am in on this one, kids need sometimes to have fun and relax as we parents do

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Mindlog: 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
It doesn't help the child. Holidays are meant for kids to play and have fun.

How many Nigerians see nothing wrong in academic fatigue in children, is mind-blowing.

I never attended any lessons during holidays both in primary and secondary level............I played outdoors to my heart's content (reason decades later, my dissertation was focused children outdoor play cheesy cheesy), travelled to places and also learnt pottery after finishing my "Junior WAEC" during the almost 3 months of holidays.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ChiefOloye(m): 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
Anyone who doesn't agree with this no get sense

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by EnglishUsa: 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
And after every thing one lifeless and ebola will be ruling us with nepa bills

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ULiTv: 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
Gatther here if you have not born.

L

4 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Cibel59(f): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
Exactly 💯. Teachers too, need rest ohh.

School owners no go gree, ndi ofu obi

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Dididrumz(m): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Solsix(m): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

When you born, you can decide on how to train them. Allow people who wants to send thiers for holiday lessons do.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by datola: 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
To most of them it is: "je le o sinmi" ... let the home have peace and to some nobody is at home to look after the children so the only option they have is to dump them in school throughout the year.

This is so pathetic!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ThiefnubuBandit: 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
Greedy private school owners always find ways to deceive parents during long holidays. What is summer lesson? Do we experience summer in Nigeria? Na mugu dey send pikin go holiday lesson.

24 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? / Indian University Creates Cartoon Characters Of Students For Virtual Graduation / How I Handled A Cultist That Slapped My Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.