Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons (45361 Views)

The Disadvantages Of Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools / Holiday Lessons, Summer Lessons, Whatever They Call It, Is A Scam! / All These Holiday Lessons Are Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by SWATMan: 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Sending kids to holiday lessons makes no sense.

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.

Tell them o!
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Tracingpaths: 4:13pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.

I was with you until you mentioned teachers. Are teachers the ones organising holiday lessons?

Get your facts right!
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by DrAda(f): 4:15pm On Aug 21, 2023
I totally agree.

My son is knitting a bag as we speak. He knows how to barb hair now and had spent some weeks at the mechanic's shop.

During the next long vac, I will take him to a tailor, carpenter and an electrician to pick up some skills as well.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by fxexperts: 4:33pm On Aug 21, 2023
Solsix:

When you born, you can decide on how to train them. Allow people who wants to send thiers for holiday lessons do.
One of them spotted above. MADAM ALLOW THE CHILDREN TO BREATH DONT OVERWORK THEM WITH TOO MANY JARGONS. IT DOESNT WORK ANYMORE IN THIS CENTURY.

CondemnBattery:
Apt.
But if you no send your own, madam go think say you're not fatherly enough
Exactly that is why i paid heavily for home teacher to take them private lesson at home, 1hr daily for 3 days weekly. Even the teacher is from the school they attended and the school also run lesson during the holidays i refused to send my children their so they can relax and have fun and not have to bother themselves with to much school work this period.

Throwback:
I agree.

If a child has no academic challenge that was evident in the concluded term or session, the holiday is for rest and play, or better still acquiring vocational or extracurricular skills as you have espoused.

But many parents are looking for a means to abandon their own responsibility of care, while some are obsessed with academics to the point that they are willing to turn their children to academic robots.
You are very right, even if they do. mine first child had some challenges, so i decided instead of the send them to long hours school lesson during the holidays i just paid more for a home tutor from the same school to come and teach them privately and i am currently seeing improvement in their studies.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by themanderon: 4:40pm On Aug 21, 2023
Everything is abused in this country. Parents are just shifting their responsibility to schools. I mean during normal school days your child goes to school highest 7:30 in the morning and closes by 5pm in the evening and during holidays you send him to school to do the same thing then what is the essence of holidays then? When do these kids have the time to play and just be kids?
During our own time, we started classes at 8 in the morning and closed by 2 pm. We only took extra lessons when we were in exam classes like primary 6, Jss 3, and SS3, and yet these ones that spend an eternity in school are not any better than we were then. Kids are just being overworked because their parents just do not want to spend time with them. No wonder we have dysfunctional kids and kids who are complete strangers to their parents these days.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
Mine are home watching cartoon 24hrs, and I want it to stay that way. They are humans too, I will not kee them

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Johnn44: 5:12pm On Aug 21, 2023
Cool
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by KennethEnyi(m): 5:19pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Now I know where the problem is coming from. Parents!!!!!... Allow us breath!!!!

You claim summer lessons are not important or beneficial now but tomorrow you'll go and start complaining to the schools that your wards are not doing well in their studies and threaten to withdraw them meanwhile you're here discouraging what will help the school to help your wards excel academically

If a child cannot read and understand basic English, how will he thrive in other extra curricular activities?
If he can't solve maths, how will he be able to do quick mental calculations during the so called activities? I don't get it!

Little wonder why we teach from morning till noon still nothing sticks and they can't retain much in their memory because all you parents do is let them play throughout after school and on weekends and they come the following day/week with empty brains. Please!!!

Your wards need this lessons so they don't become mentally lazy and forget the little they were able to gain before they vacated so all the money you spent the previous term doesn't go to waste. Now, you coming here to discourage this simply means you don't care about their academics which is the leverage and foundation any child needs to climb the ladder of success in a system that works.

I'm shocked to say the least. To think this is coming from 21century parents who know very well that the moral standards of the society has dropped so badly that children no longer have interest in going to school and all they want to do is play and do social media. Na wa o.

You can use weekends to send them for creative activities not this long summer Biko. Before one pikin go come dey tell me, Miss, I'm in number A.

It's either you're insanely stupid
Or u run a private school where you can only stand to gain from summer lesson exercise

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Owochogod: 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Sense no go kill you my brother
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by shunlet210: 5:30pm On Aug 21, 2023
My own children watch more of cartoon during holiday period. Holiday period is for them to rest from waking up early to prepare for school and compulsory early sleep in the evening. They learn a lot from watching carton and some children movies of their age range. They play, ride bicycle, go to church or go out with me to buy stuffs in the street when i am back from work in the evening and they are happy. what is holiday lesson.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Chuksgeo: 5:31pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Now I know where the problem is coming from. Parents!!!!!... Allow us breath!!!!

You claim summer lessons are not important or beneficial now but tomorrow you'll go and start complaining to the schools that your wards are not doing well in their studies and threaten to withdraw them meanwhile you're here discouraging what will help the school to help your wards excel academically

If a child cannot read and understand basic English, how will he thrive in other extra curricular activities?
If he can't solve maths, how will he be able to do quick mental calculations during the so called activities? I don't get it!

Little wonder why we teach from morning till noon still nothing sticks and they can't retain much in their memory because all you parents do is let them play throughout after school and on weekends and they come the following day/week with empty brains. Please!!!

Your wards need this lessons so they don't become mentally lazy and forget the little they were able to gain before they vacated so all the money you spent the previous term doesn't go to waste. Now, you coming here to discourage this simply means you don't care about their academics which is the leverage and foundation any child needs to climb the ladder of success in a system that works.

I'm shocked to say the least. To think this is coming from 21century parents who know very well that the moral standards of the society has dropped so badly that children no longer have interest in going to school and all they want to do is play and do social media. Na wa o.

You can use weekends to send them for creative activities not this long summer Biko. Before one pikin go come dey tell me, Miss, I'm in number A.

I am certain you are not a parent yet, and also that you have a financial stake in the so called holiday/Summer lessons (even when we don't have summer in the tropics), you don't even have an education background if you are actually a graduate hence you wouldn't be saying such meaningless things you typed up there.

Students and school children alike needs to develop their psychomotor skills and other extra-curricular abilities which also help to improve other parameters of their physical, social, spiritual and academic well-being, needless to say more, here's my recommendations to the Federal ministry of Education

Holiday lessons should be abolished
Kids should only start school at age 5
Extra curricular activities should be strictly imbibed and supervised in all schools
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Miyachi: 5:32pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Vacation is meant to be just that, a time for the students to rest. Parents can create study time for their children during the vacation but going to school from morning to evening during vacation is just pure torture. You're not helping them, rather you're just raising anti-social humans that will have no true life skills.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Ensquare(m): 5:45pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

much sense
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by neonly: 5:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
SIXTEENTH:
Seriously the things are getting out of hand, why did the white called it Holidays then? I had a discussion with my wife recently concerning such extra summer class lessons

My own boys have been cruising der bike learning new stunt though one of them had an accident with his hand but he OK now
Holiday should be holiday that another way of schools exploiting parent
To all of them saying holiday lesson is good well GOOD LUCK

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by qtx(m): 6:20pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns , how to wrestle . Teach them something beyond pure academics.

But for the bold part, you would have made 100/100% in this post. Else you want me to teach them how to shoot gun and practice wrestling right? in which house o? Okay, teach that to your own kids. i will teach mine the rest of the things you mentioned. Thank you. You are welcome.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by donbenie(m): 6:24pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Ogbeni,rest with all these rambunctious ramblings..
Who him salary no reach,overtime no go save am..
Oyibo wey design holiday no be f00ls..
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY..
No be me talk am..

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by donbenie(m): 6:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
Solsix:

When you born, you can decide on how to train them. Allow people who wants to send thiers for holiday lessons do.
Useless talk..
So because him never born,him no get Sense abi?
Borning gives some extra sense to the parents?
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Owaincouncil: 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

You are not getting the OP point. Though you are a teacher. What are you teaching them during this holiday lesson. Is it not the same thing you will teach them when they resume.
The people that design curriculum that allow children or student to rest after 3 months of class work are not stupid neither.
And the op also emphasized that instead of lesson on what they will still learn in school when they resume, why can't they learn new thing like musical instrument, computer coding and programming, interior decoration and others which is a lot better as far as I am concern..
I think the OP is right.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by vdestro: 7:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Well said.

But truth be told, parents know these, however they are either Lazy and do not want to go through the pains of raising children as their parents before them did and are passing it on to Schools or they really do not care to train nor even want to train or a busy fighting to survive and do not see training as important anymore.

Kudos to those who are still training their children for all men shall give account of their stewardship.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ROYALMAXCLEANER: 8:23pm On Aug 21, 2023
cool
On points.....
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by LadyMedina25(f): 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2023
God bless you OP

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by iyke2frankeze: 10:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
If you like leave your children at home 24/7 till adulthood, it is your choice. Allow others to raise their children in their own way.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Melagros(m): 11:09pm On Aug 21, 2023
SoftP:
Send them to farm during holidays….
Exactly
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Melagros(m): 11:11pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

You're a proprietor, you need money shikanan
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by colonelwealth(m): 12:26am On Aug 22, 2023
Oduok:

True bro.
I quite agree with you đź‘Ź
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Waffarianman(m): 12:33am On Aug 22, 2023
SoftP:
Send them to farm during holidays….

True talk. More sense in farming
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by MeineMutter: 1:06am On Aug 22, 2023
Na private school owners start or blew out the s.ca.m called holiday lessons.

It’s just to milk mumu parents.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by MeineMutter: 1:09am On Aug 22, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Then it means teachers were not dedicated enough towards their work to ensure the students weee impacted well. Private schools made a mess of our education system right from late 1990s.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Blitzking: 3:06am On Aug 22, 2023
Oduok:

Very correct..some children do well..others breakdown .
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by SpencerM(m): 6:02am On Aug 22, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

The fact that you probably did not get the message here, makes me want to think that you lack basic comprehension skill. And more shocking is that you are an advocate for the said topic. So abeg where is the lie now? Holidays aren't meant for Extra Extra coaching.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Skty: 6:50am On Aug 22, 2023
Oduok:

U made small mistake in the age above. Most parents send their children to school at 18 months.... .not 3 years..... Ok infact no one as of today. 3 years is too old for a modern parent. They won't try it.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by livebullet(m): 7:01am On Aug 22, 2023
Oduok:

Private schools are like Pentecostal churches. They messed up Education same way those ones messed up Christianity.
The govt too didn't help by not maintaining standard in Public schools

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Animal Newborns, What They Look Like(Photos) / Stephanie Idolor Gets N2M From Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin / How I Handled A Cultist That Slapped My Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.