Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons (45356 Views)

The Disadvantages Of Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools / Holiday Lessons, Summer Lessons, Whatever They Call It, Is A Scam! / All These Holiday Lessons Are Scams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ruffhandu: 12:41pm On Aug 21, 2023
Let the kids breef
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Akaegwu(m): 12:41pm On Aug 21, 2023
You don't like my progress
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Scamburster(m): 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Sending kids to holiday lessons makes no sense.

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.
This thread needs wide view.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by franchasofficia: 12:43pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Most of you will make your kids go to school till they become useless. You took them to school at age 3 and abandon them there. During long vacation you still send them to school. To do what?

Can't you spend time to bond with your kids? What exactly are they going to achieve in school during vacation? Vacation lesson only favour school owners, not you. Allow kids rest for God's sake.

If you should engage kids during long vacation then teach them skills. Enrol your kids in centres that they can learn practical computer usage, coding, programming, painting and decoration, catering, musical instruments. Let them learn martial art, how to shot guns, how to wrestle. Teach them something beyond pure academics.

If a school should organize long vacation class then it should gear towards extra curricula activities - debate, modelling, music concert, science fair, mini project. How would you call kids back to school during holiday to learn Math, English, Chemistry, Social studies, accounting, by same teachers that taught them during school period. What is the difference? If these teachers knew what to teach why didn't they do it during normal school session.

Education is beyond memorizing facts. Give your kids opportunity to develop and be better prepare for life.
Supported with 100 Boko Haram fighters, fire on bra cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ConfidentialDoc: 12:45pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

It all about capitalism on the schools part.
Senseless capitalism.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by sniperr007(m): 12:46pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

The idea of holiday lesson for parents is another way to ship their children out of the house

My opinion is rather than send to holiday lesson, send them to learn a skill, musical instruments, etiquette or go camping.

No be everything be academics

8 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Pearlqueen(f): 12:46pm On Aug 21, 2023
Every long vacation, my kids will be enrolled to learn a different skill. From coding to barbering to playing different musical instruments and the list goes on.

They learn faster when they're younger.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Ahigbo1: 12:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
I've always advocated that holidays should be for skills acquisition and other self-reliant activities.
Nice one OP

3 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by maticar: 12:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
God bless you

holidays should be for resting and learning new skills like baking, cooking, hair-plaiting, violin, guitar, keyboard, coding etc

plenty things to learning instead of dashing school money for holiday lessons again
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by AndrewTate(m): 12:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
What are they resting for?
And besides how many hours a day do they have to go to these lessons?
I'm sure it's just a few hours...
And also do you realize that the brain is just like the body when it comes to exercise?
A child that goes to school for almost the whole day, 5 times a week during an academic session is more familiar with school work which builds over the 3 months.
Give that child 3 weeks of playtime,with no sight or re-familiarization with their books and school work and I bet there'll be a significant drop in their reaction to school work and problems...even if they don't drop all the way down, they're sure loosing some fitness upstairs.
Like it or not! Now you have to choose how to grease their engines before they get back to school. You might choose to do it yourself for the purpose of "bonding" as you've stated or allow them play their minds away from school atmosphere.
It's your money and your child...do as you please.
After all I'm sure you can remember most things you were taught as a child more than as an adult so take the advantage or leave them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by commoditiesnig: 12:51pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

You're so spot on my dear!

That's why the developed countries are still way ahead of us.

During my years in Europe I observed their early to high school system, they don't just do "book book" but lots of games, sports and other activities. Those kids are so sharp/smart and articulate.

I'm trying to inculcate such in my young son not just books (I'm lucky his intelligent), but also to learn extra curricular activities: biking, chess, games, etc.

I'm planning on scheduling him for programming and chess lessons soon.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by nnamdi640: 12:51pm On Aug 21, 2023
Some private schools who are just there to make money won't agree to this rather they sees it as a must in order to make their teachers worked for that month and to make more money. If Federal government or state government can put a stop to this, it will be better, in this modern age we are now, technology is taking over everything even in teaching, we must key into it if we don't want to be left behind. The so called India that was among the poorest countries, are now doing wonders which is making their economy to be among the fast growing economy in the world. They now explore almost every where they go not because of what they read, rather with the practical training they under goes.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Mayeldah(m): 12:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
I tire o!

My kids are at home, let them rest, watch movies and visit places, that's why they call it holidays

let the kids breathe.

5 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by tubolancer(m): 12:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
vengertime:
Back in the early 90s in Surulere, I would come back from school around 2pm rest for only 30min and then go to our teachers house for lessons from 4-6pm every day.

Long vacation is worse, we would go to lessons from 9am -1pm .

In the morning that I would want to watch morning cartoons on local stations.
In the 90s?
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ruggedtimi(m): 12:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

the world is now all about skill/ connection. Nobody first class and msc help

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Dinocarex(m): 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2023
My mum has been a teacher / educator before I was born, for context, I am above 30 years. She didn't send us to any summer holiday. We were always at home. I grew older till I understood why.

5 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by OusmaneBicks(m): 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2023
Really this is not okay
there is no point any holiday lessson
we need to know our children and bond with them
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by toprealman: 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Holiday lesson is because we have failed to address the fundamental problem in our education system.
That said some kids still need the holiday lesson, most don’t
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by InvertedHammer: 12:54pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

/

Those are the kids that grow up to get distinction in all their classes but don't have common sense.

/

4 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by lomprico(m): 12:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
Exactly, my kids will learn skills during holiday or play throughout.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Mindlog: 12:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
toprealman:

Holiday lesson is because we have failed to address the fundamental problem in our education system.
That said some kids still need the holiday lesson, most don’t

No child need holiday lesson.
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by sageb: 12:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

So true
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by AndrewTate(m): 12:55pm On Aug 21, 2023
commoditiesnig:

You're so spot on my dear!

That's why the developed countries are still way ahead of us.

During my years in Europe I observed their early to high school system, they don't just do "book book" but lots of games, sports and other activities. Those kids are so sharp/smart and articulate.

I'm trying to inculcate such in my young son not just books (I'm lucky his intelligent), but also to learn extra curricular activities: biking, chess, games, etc.

I'm planning on scheduling him for programming and chess lessons soon.
this is why people from Asia and India are taking over their tech spaces.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Morenikeji090(m): 12:56pm On Aug 21, 2023
You are right I support you.. I'm following this step... They better learn work during vacation period that's it...
Oduok:

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by saintopus(m): 12:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
Oduok:

Very apt. I am reasoning the same way too
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Karleb(m): 12:57pm On Aug 21, 2023
Lessons are still very affordable than music schools and all.

Aside that, we hardly have center for those.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by vengertime: 12:58pm On Aug 21, 2023
tubolancer:
In the 90s?

No in the 50s
Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Sprints3: 12:58pm On Aug 21, 2023
This does not change the fact education is a scam period. Am an educationist believe school na scam in fact western civilization is a scam.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by ceejay80s(m): 12:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Some teachers will not like this thread

2 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by onadana: 12:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
Most parents only want to get rid of the children for them to be free.I strongly believe holidays should not be for studies but for other endeavors that will add value to the life of the child.That is why my son is exceptional.He speaks French,plays the saxophone,reads,plays chess and scrabble very well, draws well, rides horse well and above all a wonderful talented footballer.There must be a balance between education and recreation.Above all he is a calm and wonderful 16year old who cleared his Waec.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by Buffalo2(m): 12:59pm On Aug 21, 2023
vengertime:
Back in the early 90s in Surulere, I would come back from school around 2pm rest for only 30min and then go to our teachers house for lessons from 4-6pm every day.

Long vacation is worse, we would go to lessons from 9am -1pm .

In the morning that I would want to watch morning cartoons on local stations.
It was still better then, nowadays those greedy school owners will engage pupils and students from 9am to 3pm (Monday to Friday) all through the summer period in order not to lose their students and staff to other schools around. Some of them don't even pay staff in August just to make sure they return in September for a new session.

1 Like

Re: Stop Sending Your Children For Holiday Lessons by AndrewTate(m): 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2023
Sprints3:
This does not change the fact education is a scam period. Am an educationist believe school na scam in fact western civilization is a scam.
don't send your children to school then...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Most Praised Courses To Study In Nigeria / Animal Newborns, What They Look Like(Photos) / Stephanie Idolor Gets N2M From Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.