Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,466 members, 7,826,770 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK (42963 Views)

Many Nigerian Marriages Have Ended Long Ago – Pastor Kinsgley Okonkwo / A Lot Of Marriages Now Crashing Within 3 Months / 4 Money Problems In Nigerian Marriages To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by verybadmouth(m): 9:36am On Aug 31, 2023
SSpeter:
For you to be a developer and pay 250k rent, then you must be getting paid badly, when I lived back then in Lagos a decent apartment on the mainland around Ikeja I was paying 750k far back. Saying you will stay in Nigeria and be working for a US firm is myopic, if you have the means of relocating.
I leave in a very affordable area for now. I prefer to leave here coz of their constant power supply. I can actually afford to leave anywhere I want. I just prefer to spend less on rent and focus on other projects wink

8 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by frozen70(f): 9:36am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:
Oyinbo country self too get wahala.

You cannot discipline your wife as one can do in Nigeria... Your wife can wake up and call police for you and police will ask you to leave your home.

You cannot scold your kids, if you do so and the authority get to know, they will take away your kids and hand them over to a foster parent.

And this is the place some people are selling their assets to go lipsrsealed

My prayer to all Nigeria men suffering under their wives in various oyinbo country.

Can you mention one or two ways of discipline you can give to a wife
Using Nigeria as a case as you mentioned

Because what you mean discipline can be another thing

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Gokoyer0(m): 9:38am On Aug 31, 2023
This is what we are talking about. With time, you will change your job with better pay sef. I can't imagine what wealth you are gonna accrue in many years to come.
Just dey low key and you will continue enjoying your life in Naija.

I have a friend that used to go for vacation atleast once year from Naija. Neighbors, cowokers don't even know about it. Tell me how the guy will be a victim of kidnapping.

Sadly what most Nigerians are only good at oppressing the poor in society.
verybadmouth:
embarassed
I no talk sey money no dey there oo. Bill sef no be small thing. As you dey collect, you dey spend. I'm a mobile app developer here in Nigeria and work for a US company remotely. Bro, it pays me here. My rent is just 250k yearly in Lagos. I have people that pay over 1 million monthly in London. They are crying

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by SSpeter(m): 9:39am On Aug 31, 2023
verybadmouth:

I leave in a very affordable area for now. I prefer to leave here coz of their constant power supply. I can actually afford to leave anywhere I want. I just prefer to spend less on rent and focus on other projects wink
When you begin to get better pay you will relocate don't worry.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by verybadmouth(m): 9:40am On Aug 31, 2023
Gokoyer0:
This is what we are talking about. With time, you will change your job with better pay sef. I can't imagine what wealth you are gonna accrue in many years to come.
Just dey low key and you will continue enjoying your life in Naija.

I have a friend that used to go for vacation atleast once year from Naija. Neighbors, cowokerd don't even know about it. Tell me how the guy will be a victim of kidnapping.
Someone told me I must be earning low to be paying that amount in rent. I laffed. Me Dat have plenty plans low key

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by jaxxy(m): 9:45am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:

You cannot discipline your wife as one can do in Nigeria... Your wife can wake up and call police for you and police will ask you to leave your home.

You cannot scold your kids, if you do so and the authority get to know, they will take away your kids and hand them over to a foster parent.

My prayer to all Nigeria men suffering under their wives in various oyinbo country.

if u know u like controlling ur wife like a glorified housemaid u better not go to the US or UK.

Thank me later.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Gokoyer0(m): 9:47am On Aug 31, 2023
Bro, don't mind them. You are the type that will afford to pay school fees for your kids anywhere in the world when the time comes. Meanwhile most of their kidsib Youkay are stabbing themselves because the parents have to be on the streets working tirelessly. Many kids will never set foot on Nigerian soils any more. They are lost to western world.

You guys should understand that It's not every Nigerians that are obsessed with Japa. If you move abroad, you can't eat your cake and have it. If you stay in Nigeria, you can't also eat your cake and have it.

I will not reply Japa crusader because my phone is faulty now.
verybadmouth:

Someone told me I must be earning low to be paying that amount in rent. I laffed. Me Dat have plenty plans low key
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by madridguy(m): 9:49am On Aug 31, 2023
I will go to the US or UK and I will still be controlling her as I want.

jaxxy:

if u know u like controlling ur wife like a glorified housemaid u better not go to the US or UK.

Thank me later.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by jaxxy(m): 9:50am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:
I will go to the US or UK and I will still be controlling her as I want.

oyo is ur case. u want to be homeless? lol

4 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by madridguy(m): 9:54am On Aug 31, 2023
Baba, immediately I have the plan to relocate abroad, the first thing I will so is to set up another family. Once the one we travel abroad start misbehaving, I will just quietly carry my bag, leave her with the children and continue my life with my second wife back home.

I will never accept any woman to lord over me as abroad women are use to be doing.

jaxxy:

oyo is ur case. u want to be homeless? lol

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by blesdman(m): 9:56am On Aug 31, 2023
LionInZion:
Another UK topic. Hmnnnn
No tpic for Canada abi ..
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by blesdman(m): 9:57am On Aug 31, 2023
Adeneeyee84:
Olosho plenty for UK here
Really?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by jaxxy(m): 10:01am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:
Baba, immediately I have the plan to relocate abroad, the first thing I will so is to set up another family. Once the one we travel abroad start misbehaving, I will just quietly carry my bag, leave her with the children and continue my life with my second wife back home.

I will never accept any woman to lord over me as abroad women are use to be doing.

u don't have to control a woman like a glorified housemaid tho.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by ConfidentialDoc: 10:06am On Aug 31, 2023
Adeneeyee84:
Olosho plenty for UK here

When you say olosho, you mean unmarried Nigerian girls 25 and above, making less than 20,000 pounds ?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by madridguy(m): 10:06am On Aug 31, 2023
I guess you're living in a western country. Well, in my own side, women must be subservant to her husband. I cannot stand a woman challenging my authority.

jaxxy:

u don't have to control a woman like a glorified housemaid tho.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by pooozeee(m): 10:08am On Aug 31, 2023

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Ofemini(m): 10:17am On Aug 31, 2023
[quote author=Vokallond1 post=125479175]A
Kudos to you
I sent you a mail.
Thanks
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by IamMobisola(f): 10:17am On Aug 31, 2023
These are not limited to the UK. It’s applicable to developed countries that actually care about the worth of the female gender. Canada, USA, Russia, it’s everywhere.

It’s only in Africa, the world’s most underdeveloped or least developed continent that don’t respect women.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by whichway007: 10:17am On Aug 31, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
i hate marriage
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Weathered: 10:18am On Aug 31, 2023
uche87:
Nigerian Marriages always appear solid and formidable until the union gets a visa. The moment it passes through the UK Point of Entry, it starts to develop cracks until it takes more falls than the Naira under the current Tinubu administration. In this piece, I will be taking a dive into the common reasons why Nigerian marriages struggle on UK soil.

(1). Personal Vendetta:
Marriage as an institution in Nigeria is modeled around patriarchy - a system of male dominance. In this case, the man is the king while the woman is the queen. As you know, the king dominates the queen, and nothing he does is wrong in most cases (especially for the wealthy men). The woman could be forced to endure physical, verbal, psychological, financial abuse, and lots more. She stands to get mocked if her marriage crashes. This creates age-long bitterness and a cold war in the union. Women have a long memory and they hardly forgive. The moment the marriage transits to a society that gives women an upper hand against men, they come for their pound of flesh like Shylock. This destroys the foundation and subsequently brings it to an end.

(2). Level Playing field:
Marriage in Nigeria is a bit lopsided in terms of the professional profiles of the couples. In some cases, the husband might be a doctor while the wife might be selling beauty products or other petty items that cannot sustain her financially. The man steps in, and this gives him an undue edge in the marriage. In the UK where a hard-working bartender can match a nurse financially, and there is a level playing ground, power changes hands. The man who might be an alpha male loses that edge. This kind of equality - an unfamiliar territory for the man, if not well-managed might be the collapse of the marriage.

(3). Cultural Issues:
In the UK, the difference between a man and a woman might be that one menstruates and the other doesn't. In fact, people switch genders according to their moods. In simple terms, there is no duty/responsibility that is totally exclusive to a man or woman. Over here, men go to the market, clean, wash, cook, babysit, run errands, and also fund the home. Local champions who are used to being served like emperors by their wives might struggle to cope with the new environment and could feel short-changed.

(4). Busy Schedules:
It is no longer news that the cost of living in the UK is as high as a COVID-19 patient's temperature. In my previous articles, I have overemphasized how people inevitably work for long hours in order to cope with rising living expenses and financial demands from their families back home. This might affect bonding between young couples and reduce intimacy. Most times, when one party is ready for a "mid-section parley", the other might be unavailable due to conflicting shift patterns, not being in the mood due to mental or physical stress. This gradually takes a negative toll on the marriage.

(5). Women Are Powerful Abroad:
In the West, there are checks to prevent the domination of women by men. This has made women so powerful. In the event of a conflict, the odds are always against the men. The Spanish FA chief, Luis Rubiales learned the hard way for controversially kissing midfielder, Jennifer Hermoso at the recently concluded 2023 Women's World Cup. Also in February 2021, Yoshiro Mori - head of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Organising Committee, was coerced into resigning after saying 'women talk too much in meetings'. Former Manchester United player, Mason Greenwood apparently ruined his career due to struggles with his partner. In marriage, some women mischievously abuse their powers. A colleague lost his marriage of 5 years after his wife reportedly abused him physically multiple times. A behaviour that was never evident in Nigeria according to him.

(6). Cheating:
A randy man who is obsessed with beautiful women would easily make mistakes in the UK. The UK exposes you to numerous women of different shapes, forms, and beauty. If you think you have seen it all, you need to see the Jamaican, Somalian, Pakistani, Iranian, curvy Kenyans, and some pretty Indian women. It is not just how they look alone but what they are wearing. Some of them might fancy you and might be willing to hand you the cookie on a platter of gold. There are also several single mothers who have nothing to lose. They are ready to 'share it' graciously like the Federal Government palliatives across their community. One person's husband might be hooked to the detriment of his marriage.

(7). Finances:
Another area of challenge in a UK home is money. In an informal survey I personally conducted, I realized it is the most common problem around. It is extremely difficult for a man to singlehandedly foot the household bills in the UK. Paying for everything is easily obtainable in Nigeria where the cost of living is lower. A woman who is used to the Nigerian system might be hoarding cash, and under-declaring her finances. This is done to force the man to fill the vacuum. This creates discontentment, and over time, frustration starts to hit the man. He might be tempted to seek solace outside the marriage to boost his mental health.

Osahon George Osayimwen is a Journalist and a Developmental Psychologist. He writes from the South Yorkshire region of England.
Bini men would see nothing wrong in this. No challenges at all. They are used to women slaving for them.

By the way, watch your own mental health over there. I see you crumbling like an ovulating pussy soon by your write-up.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by jaxxy(m): 10:26am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:
I guess you're living in a western country. Well, in my own side, women must be subservant to her husband. I cannot stand a woman challenging my authority.

a woman doesn't have to challenge ur authority if ur position is correct on the issue at hand unless she is stupid or ridiculous.

However if ur opinion is wrong she has every right to challenge ur authority if it will affect her or the family.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by BRATISLAVA: 10:28am On Aug 31, 2023
This is a misogynistic post disguised as journalism, and it's not surprising the writer will be a Nigerian man.

"Women are powerful", because a man forcefully kissed a woman on the mouth, on center stage, without invitation to do so? A lot of Nigerian men are little more than neanderthals and reason like absolute pillocks. You would prefer your wife, daughter or sister accepted such a kiss to prove your version of "equality"?

All this "article" does is whine about undue privileges and reeks of nonsense. "Women have a long memory and they hardly forgive." Really? From a journalist or a red pill mor_on writing through the supposed agony he feels for other men?

The "cheating" point goes further to prove that it is a retard-ed man who authored the so called article. That is the reasoning of backwards men. Men like this.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Crafteck1: 10:34am On Aug 31, 2023
Now men no too dey marry, are you happy
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Vokallond1(m): 10:36am On Aug 31, 2023
Ofemini:
Kudos to you
I sent you a mail.
Thanks
Responded
Cheers!
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Fearyourcreator: 10:39am On Aug 31, 2023
specialmati:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked marriage fails because of selfishness.
Nothing more
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by yewit37486: 10:40am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:

Why should you be disciplining your wife? Is she a child? No healthy marriage entails a husband "disciplining" a wife.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Fearyourcreator: 10:40am On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:

It's what they choose ... Many of them know this but just want to Japa to taste Wetin no really special...
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Fearyourcreator: 10:41am On Aug 31, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
I never go UK.

One thing I know is Nigeria no fit better pass UK. If not why UK citizens no dey write exams and fight and go to church just to come naija.

Abeg.

UK culture be like core northern Muslim culture to an Igbo man.

If an Igbo man can survive in sokoto despite their Islamic nature why not UK.

Omoh. Make u na know say all this na lies full am.

In Nigeria we have many reasons marriage is not working

Poverty poverty
Nobody dey hold anybody
Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by yewit37486: 10:43am On Aug 31, 2023
SSpeter:
For you to be a developer and pay 250k rent, then you must be getting paid badly, when I lived back then in Lagos a decent apartment on the mainland around Ikeja I was paying 750k far back. Saying you will stay in Nigeria and be working for a US firm is myopic, if you have the means of relocating.

You simply can't conclude without knowing the full details. What if he decided to live in a cheap place in order to fast track his savings to buy his own place? What if there are family considerations in his choice to live where he lives?

3 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Nigerian Marriages Are Crashing In The UK by Lawalemi(m): 10:46am On Aug 31, 2023
What is "mid-section parley"?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Divorces Wife Of 21 Years For Sleeping With A Deacon And A Bishop / Annoying Spousal Habits / Nigerian Lady And Her Parents Dancing At Her Graduation In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.