Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,512 members, 7,812,593 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud (32105 Views)

Pic: Elon Musk Had Twins With One Of His Top Executives / Bank Ceos, Top Executives Jittery As EFCC Orders Bankers To Declare Assets / Nigerian Banks Sack 2,929 Workers In Three Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Islie: 6:38pm On Aug 31, 2023
At least 110 top bank executives and junior staff members have been sacked for fraud-related cases in the past two years, findings by The PUNCH have shown.

These were contained in the ‘Reports of Fraud and Forgeries in Nigerian Banks’’ released by the Financial Institutions Training Centre between the second quarter of 2021 and Q2 2023.

FITC’s institutional members are members of the Nigerian Banker’s Committee, which comprises the Central Bank of Nigeria, the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation, and all licensed banks in Nigeria.

A breakdown showed that while only four bank officials were sacked in Q2 2021, the figure rose by 175 per cent to 11 in Q2 2023.

The highest number of sacked top bank executives and junior staff members was recorded in Q3 2022. Twenty officials were fired.

The PUNCH observed that between Q2 2021 and Q2 2022, 52 bank staff members were sacked for fraud-related issues.

However, between Q3 2022 and Q2 2023, 58 bank staff members were sacked for the same reason.

Also, within the period under review, the sacked staff members were involved in a total of 967 fraud cases.

The highest number of cases was recorded in Q4 2021, with 410 cases involving bank staff, while the lowest was recorded in Q3 2021, with 32 cases.

The PUNCH further observed that between Q2 2021 and Q2 2022, bank staff were involved in 657 cases, while between Q3 2022 and Q2 2023, they were involved in 310 cases.

Also, about N18.01bn was lost due to fraud committed by bank staff and outsiders within the reviewed period out of a total of N81.69bn involved in fraud cases.

The PUNCH learnt that the highest amount lost was N5.79bn in Q2 2023, while the lowest amount lost was N472.28m in Q1 2023.

For the total amount involved, the highest amount was N34.78bn in Q3 2021, while the lowest amount was N1.18bn in Q2 2022.

The PUNCH further observed that mobile fraud, computer/web fraud, and P0S-related fraud were the most prevalent types of fraud, and this trend persisted in Q2 2023.

In June 2022, the PUNCH reported the continued trial of three former workers with the First Bank of Nigeria facing attempted fraud charges before a Lagos State Special Offences Court, Ikeja.

The defendants, Ozioma Ugorji, 35; Ugwu Emeka, 32; and Obike Chukwuka, 38, were arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission for allegedly attempting to steal N20bn from the bank.

The PUNCH learnt that the defendants conspired to tap into the bank’s server to grant access to a syndicate.

They were, however, apprehended by the EFCC on March 6, 2021, following an intelligence report.

In June this year, four men were arraigned at the Yaba Magistrates’ Court for allegedly defrauding their employer, Think Finance Microfinance Bank of N150m in the FESTAC Town area of Lagos State.

The defendants include the company’s Head of Risk Management, Ojimi Ayodeji, the Loan Officer, Isaac Eddy, Joseph Setonji and Juwon Irinyemi, and were arraigned before Magistrate Patrick Nwaka on three counts of theft.

The PUNCH had reported recently that four Nigerian deposit money banks lost a total of N1.77bn to fraudulent activities involving the banks’ employees and consumers in 2021.

This was contained in the 2021 financial statements of the banks, which included Access Bank Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, First Monument City Bank, and Wema Bank.

The PUNCH also reported that Access Bank, GTB and Fidelity Bank recorded 26,877 fraud cases in the first six months of this year, according to analyses of their financial reports for the first half of 2022.

This was a 56.45 per cent decrease from the 61,715 fraud cases that were recorded by the banks between June and December, 2021.

The President of the Bank Customers Association of Nigeria, Dr Uju Ogunbunka, recently urged banks to educate their staff and create protective measures that would discourage fraud.

Commenting, ICT expert and Senior Partner of e86 Limited, Olugbenga Odeyemi, recently said several fraud cases needed insiders from banks.

He stated, “Some of the hacking and fraud cases that we’ve seen, happened not because of the lack of security on the banks’ electronic platforms, but because of poverty, greed, and sometimes the lack of education on the part of the customers.

“Other than asking banks to invest more in the security of their platforms, it’s equally important that banks spend more resources on educating their customers.

“That said, several fraud cases couldn’t have happened without the help of insiders in some of the banks. I think Nigerian banks should spend more money on the welfare of their staff while making appropriate changes to their internal processes, starting from their hiring processes.”

The Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise, Dr Muda Yusuf, recently urged the CBN to introduce sanctions and eliminate policies that promote corruption.

He said, “I think what they can do is to activate sanctions on anyone found wanting. Aside from the tracking, there must be evidence. And once there is evidence, they should close in on anyone they find. Cyber fraud is the biggest threat in the banking industry.’’

The FITC advised banks to strengthen their security protocols and utilise advanced fraud detection systems.

It said, “Considering the rise in the total amount involved in fraud cases and the amount lost, Nigerian banks should strengthen their security protocols and systems to prevent unauthorised access to customer accounts and sensitive information. This may involve incorporating measures such as multi-factor authentication, implementing strong encryption techniques, and ensuring regular security updates are in place.

https://punchng.com/banks-sack-110-top-executives-others-over-n82bn-fraud/?amp

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by NwaNimo1(m): 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
But not prosecuted?

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by MrGreenMavro: 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
Banking sef no easy...the temptation too much. It takes the grace of God to survive banking without any dent.

Kudos to the fraud free bankers.

I hope Chelsea top their group and qualify for the knockout stage of this year UCL.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Yugoslavia247(m): 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
Efcc would not parade them ooo.

Nonsense

Na yahoo boys be their target.
Meanwhile someone is stealing inheritance of families and siphoning people money
Living and dead with no pity.

Efcc will not parade them.

Zenith bank chop my 10k

They will frustrate you until you get tired of going to the bank.
Your hard earned money.

Sometimes if them rob bank nothing concern me. Those banks dey rob innocent people daily.

Irony of it is the same people who are been robbed without knowing are always ready to catch the robbers.

Hullabaloo.

Banks commit the greatest fraud and cover it because the share holders self na government officials.

This country if I think about I just wonder.

When will things be right

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by donjazzet: 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
Nairalanders should be aware of the propaganda network of the APC on this site.

Many pro-apc commented here are not average users like you and I but a paid group of individuals who are paid to try and shape and manipulate public opinion.

A key way to notice it to observe how their likes in some posts are very similar to the numbers of likes on pro-obi posts.

Beware, don't fall victim to their propaganda

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Nazgul: 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2023
Most fraud that occurs on customers accounts are aided by bank staffs. It's an open secret which everyone knows.

I believe that the punishment should be stiffer, sacking them isn't enough, cos most customers become suicidal (some even die of HBP) after going through the trauma of loosing their life savings to fraudsters.

10-15 years in jail should be a fair punishment. Once this is enforced and fraudulent bank staffs are convicted and imprisoned, others would refrain from that crime and focus on their jobs.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Creamypie(m): 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
I hope access bank managers and staffs are among. My extra 2k wey them dey steal anytime I recharge cell line. Damn I reported em to CBN with many evidences. They were notified and called me with 24 hours. Criminal bank

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Racoon(m): 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
Meaning the worst set of financial fraudsters are in the banking sector

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Risingblue008(m): 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
Dhd
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by JOACHINpedro: 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
Omo! bankers/bank worker always have option B to D
Most times, the job ain't worth it.
Say no to fraud

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by firstclassmumu: 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2023
Hmm
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by DenreleDave(m): 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2023
angry angry
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Blaze14k: 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2023
In portables voice wahala! wahala!! wahala!!!
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Oxtertee(m): 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2023
Na access bank go top that chart

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by inoki247: 7:49pm On Aug 31, 2023
Lol this same people will be blaming Govt....

. everybody are just the same give them little opportunity....

Nigeria jus get mind running local with confidence...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by SILVERLINES: 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2023
wink
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by BoldBrainz(m): 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2023
See space bookers above!

Whoever they're parading and whatever they're stealing, they should sha not touch my small fixed deposit in my account, cause I don't know road to police station..🤷‍♂️.. I only know how to buy AZ and gin for street boys and they'll scatter banking premises with glocks and machetes.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Jestin: 7:51pm On Aug 31, 2023
All sectors in Nigeria is done.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Wealthoptulent(m): 7:51pm On Aug 31, 2023
Oya audit
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by jayAjoku(m): 7:51pm On Aug 31, 2023
If banks actually paid their staff really well I believe some of these cases would’ve been avoided Of course there will always be cases of fraud regardless of pay it’s not easy looking after huge sums of money without being tempted

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Klington: 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
shocked
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Phraences: 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
donjazzet:
Nairalanders should be aware of the propaganda network of the APC on this site.

Many pro-apc commented here are not average users like you and I but a paid group of individuals who are paid to try and shape and manipulate public opinion.

A key way to notice it to observe how their likes in some posts are very similar to the numbers of likes on pro-obi posts.

Beware, don't fall victim to their propaganda

Zukwanike!!

4 Likes

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by nafisu: 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
Mostly insider job, had a case a while back when banks had revoked international transactions, I was hit with a debit and all the bank could say was I compromised my details at a time when international transactions where no longer possible but somehow an international transaction occurred on mine that can't be traced. Naso money go

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by inoki247: 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
jayAjoku:
If banks actually paid their staff really well I believe some of these cases would’ve been avoided Of course there will always be cases of fraud regardless of pay it’s not easy looking after huge sums of money without being tempted

Lol you think you can pay Nigeria well and see opportunity to Loot and still not use it....

You people don't know the Citizens are not different from the Politicians....

The Senators are paid well and they still pad Budget loot constituency project money...

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by iwaeda: 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
Islie:

https://punchng.com/banks-sack-110-top-executives-others-over-n82bn-fraud/?amp
They know how boys clear people's accounts, but pretend you can't recover your money. grin grin grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by BarrElChapo(m): 7:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
😂😂
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by izonborn098(m): 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2023
Another jobless people... Talented321 abeg u get talent.. Try and be self employed...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Godwin25king: 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2023
We know, no be today.
Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Cantonese: 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2023
Yeye people.

Those given the responsibility of custody and safe keeping of peoples funds, who then turn out to be the thieves themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Judolisco(m): 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2023
All d money wey dey lost for dis country ehn if e lost for another country.. D people 4 dat country fit go extinct

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Sack 110 Top Executives, Others Over N82bn Fraud by Lymetsaucer(f): 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2023
The ones that haven't had the opportunity are innocent.... but for now.!

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery / 5 Profitable Business Opportunities In Abuja / Man Returns Money And ATM Card He Found At ATM Point To A Bank In Sokoto (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.