Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,483 members, 7,812,497 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery (32111 Views)

Banks To Pay Customers Money Sent From Abroad In Naira / Zenith Bank Suffers Systems Crash, Police Called In On Rowdy Abuja Customers / CBN Orders Banks To Spy On 19 Persons (Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by dre11(m): 8:57am On Jun 27, 2022
The newly licensed Mobile Money Payment Service Bank Limited (MOMO PSB) a banking subsidiary of MTN Communications Limited has in less than a month operations suffered a massive fraud worth over N22 billion on its network.

Court processes in a suit instituted by the Mobile Money Bank against 18 Banks and obtained by our correspondent revealed that an aggregate sum of N22,300,000,000, equivalent to about $53.7m was erroneous transferred to accounts maintained by customers of 18 different banks in the country.

In an originating summons dated May 30, 2022 and filled before a Federal High Court, MTN’s MOMO payment Bank is seeking court declaration that the deposits of the said sum of N22.3B allegedly erroneously transferred by the company to the accounts of customers of the 18 banks having been done in error belong to MTN’s MOMO PSB and not to the customers of the banks.

The requests formed part of the reliefs sought in the suit filed by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chief Lotanna Chuka Okoli (SAN) on behalf of Momo Payment Service Bank Limited.

Among other reliefs, the MTN bank is also seeking order of the court directing the 18 banks to individually account for the sums available in their customer accounts and the sums which have been removed by the customers and are no longer available.

In an affidavit in support of the originating summons, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), MOMO PSB Ltd, Mr. Anthony Usoro Usoro claimed that MOMO PSB Ltd is the bona fide owner of the aggregate sum of N22.3B which is maintained in its MOMO settlement account.

He averred that on or about the 24th day of May, 2022, it was noticed that funds had been erroneously transferred from its settlement account to various accounts maintained by the 18 banks.

Anthony in the affidavit further claimed that a total of about 700, 000 transactions were processed with credits made into about 8,000 various accounts in the listed 18 banks.

Upon becoming aware of the incident, he further asserted that MOMO PSB Ltd management responded by immediately shutting down the service to limit the impact and triggered engagement with the banks for the commencement of recovery activities from the accounts of the various beneficiaries in the various banks.

The erroneous transfers, he claimed, were due to the fact that MOMO PSB Ltd suffered a system exploitation which led to the said debits.

The MTN’s MOMO Bank’s boss in the affidavit asserted that the 18 banks requested for an order of court mandating them to reverse the credits made into their customers account before they can do so, hence, the filing of the suit.

The plaintiff therefore prayed the Federal High Court to compel the 18 commercial banks operating in the country to refund about N22. 3billion erroneously transferred into their customers’ accounts.

It also asked the court to order the banks to provide information about the customers into whose accounts the said funds were unintentionally paid.

MPSBL is contending that, under the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Regulation on Instant (Inter-Bank) Electronic Funds Transfer Services, made pursuant to Sections 2(D), 33(1)6) and 47(2) of the CBN Act 2007, it is incumbent on the 18 banks to make refund and provide the required information.

It added that its resort to the court was informed by the insistence of the 18 banks that they needed to be ordered by the Federal High Court before they could act.

The affected banks were listed as defendants in the suit marked: FHC/L/CS/960/2022.

https://prnigeria.com/2022/06/26/mtn-mobile-money-bank-suffers/

3 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Tobylaye: 8:59am On Jun 27, 2022
This can't be serious

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by saintjimos(m): 9:00am On Jun 27, 2022
Their wahala

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by FreeStuffsNG: 9:02am On Jun 27, 2022
It is traceable and recoverable if the banks cooperate with investigators.
It will help MTN improve its risk system as well.
Meanwhile,here's free book on business ideas & money sources directory for you,it's 100% free! to download, read and use https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund. Cheers.

9 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Candidlady: 9:11am On Jun 27, 2022
shocked
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by EkelediliBuhari: 9:11am On Jun 27, 2022
Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

MTN got it wrong thinking they could just Waltz into the banking sector and take everything.

They should have done dry runs and possibly a little test runs before going public. I believe they are being sabotaged as this is not just a simple fraud.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by ithink7: 11:56am On Jun 27, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:
Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

MTN got it wrong thinking they could just Waltz into the banking sector and take everything.

They should have done dry runs and possibly a little test runs before going public. I believe they are being sabotaged as this is not just a simple fraud.

It's obviously a sabotage.
The banks are really milking customers, so they would do anything to resist positive change.

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by bigdammyj: 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2022
Good news.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by YourNextLevel(m): 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2022
Thief and thief to a thief

Same bunch

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Juicygees(m): 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2022
how wish we can sue Mtn to court for the way they syphon our data.. That N228B money dem no go see em collect

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by NwaNimo1(m): 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2022

15 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by kerry57: 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2022
Them dey learn
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2022
An aggregate sum of N22,300,000,000, equivalent to about $53.7m was erroneous transferred to accounts maintained by customers of 18 different banks in the country.
They should simply bring out the money the same way it was erroneously transfered to the said accounts.
Atleast the money has been traced.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by jojothaiv(m): 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2022
E don cast...

1 Like

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by iCauseTrouble: 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2022
Seun, one of your admin banned me for 5 days for supporting Peter Obi. I never knew nairaland has turned to an APC forum.
I am happy Reno Omokri did similar thing to you on Twitter.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by motionarena: 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2022
I heard someone received 7m transfer.

He squared the money in luxury items.

His account is now showing -7million

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by oz4real83(m): 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2022
If all MTN customers were to start taking MTN to court for all the fraudulent activities they have preformed against customers, they won't even have a minute to focus on their business. If not that judiciary in Nigeria has nothing to write home about, that would have been the case. Nigerians don't want to spend their entire lives on a case that the court will keep adjourning till infinity cheesy grin, when the complainants die, their offsprings will inherit the cases cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Realists(m): 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2022
Hmmm, Yahoo Yahoo the second employer of labor after FG.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by yomalex(m): 4:23pm On Jun 27, 2022
Whaaat
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by ACRI: 4:23pm On Jun 27, 2022
Big conspiracy
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 27, 2022
They just want to make Sure MTN do not succeed. MTN is a big threat to them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Mumusaphire: 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2022
Trust momo at ur own peri. Me that I used their ussd code to sent money to someone, the money no delivered, yet they don't refund me. Giving me silly excuses.
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Akwamkpuruamu: 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2022
Wahala no de finish for this country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by Golan007: 4:24pm On Jun 27, 2022
Early bird hackers.

Thankfully, MTN was awake after their initial slumber, quickly imposing a stay on such accounts.

Naija and fraud.

2 Likes

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by goldtube(m): 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2022
shocked
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by elganzar(m): 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2022
Omo, good period to buy their shares
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by NnamdiN: 4:26pm On Jun 27, 2022
iCauseTrouble:
Seun, one of your admin banned me for 5 days for supporting Peter Obi. I never knew nairaland has turned to an APC forum.
I am happy Reno Omokri did similar thing to you on Twitter.
lol your signature ehn. God forbid abeg. AA is the lesser evil though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by xpressionx(m): 4:27pm On Jun 27, 2022
Ok na
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by DWJOBScom(m): 4:27pm On Jun 27, 2022
I am so interested jn this case
Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by NotKnown: 4:28pm On Jun 27, 2022
Okay na.

Momo that is supposed to come and displace traditional banks don suffer first hit.

Just like wetin tstv been de suffer before they launched

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery by MumuYorubaBoy: 4:28pm On Jun 27, 2022
Block every line and BVN used in the transactions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Profitable Business Opportunities In Abuja / Man Returns Money And ATM Card He Found At ATM Point To A Bank In Sokoto (Photo) / Fire Guts Shema Mega Petrol Filling Station In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.