Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,346 members, 7,829,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? (13731 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / Govt And Private Firms Workers: How Are You Coping With High Transport Costs? / Petrol And Cash Scarcity: Office Workers, How Are You Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by resultcase(m): 11:54am On Sep 01, 2023
Speak like you would in Nigeria. And you'll be fine.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Etranshub(m): 11:54am On Sep 01, 2023
babajeje123:
He should speak slowly and clearly and ask them politely to do same. Things like
'Could you say that again please?' or
'Could you say that slowly again for me please?' will help.
this is pretty much the way forward

2 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by BoldBrainz(m): 11:55am On Sep 01, 2023
illicit:
I can teach him diction for a token

OP,
Don't listen to this guy. He's just trying to make a few bucks off another's challenges.

Tell your friend to promptly watch as many black American movies as he can. Mostly the ones with humour contents. And he should do so with a media application that provides subtitles for the movies. That shit helps faster than any tutelage he can have from anybody.

Owing to the few freelance jobs I've had to handle, I have entertained English conversations with native American accents, native British and even Irish laced accents. And being one who's always had a flair for movies, understanding them came with no difficulties. On my part, I simply speak my Nigerian English with calm and firm dictions and we're all fine.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by endy69: 11:57am On Sep 01, 2023
Tell him not to worry. And when someone speaks super fast, he should tell the person to speak slowly. They will understand him and he shouldn't fake his accent just normal Nigerian English and he should just try to speak clearly and not to think about it so much. Someone that passed all the interview stages is now worried I fell it is inferiority stuff and nothing else.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by dosage150(m): 11:57am On Sep 01, 2023
I speak with 200-300 of people all over the world in a month (as my job requires)

He should speak slowly and clearly

He should never fake intonation

"I have problem understanding you, can please speak slowly" (e no dey kill person, always tell the fast speakers)

Though most of them have problem understanding foreigners, at this point
He should speak like a child reciting A,BC..........

With time his accent will start blending

Take water while working to clear the throat as well (my secret)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by yewit37486: 12:00pm On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
I know the real motive why this thread was created was to brag about how much dollars so so so and so person makes while living in Nigeria, and not that nonsense you wrote as topic

hahahaha cheesy you dey para o. Tbh, it was unnecessary to mention how much he is being paid because it is not relevant to his question, but anyway, let OP enjoy his few minutes of frontpage grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ahizih(m): 12:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?
I had same challenges with our American clients, even UK clients, but i had to pay attention when they talk and when i talk i pick my words slowly so they will understand. Also started watching Hollywood movies and don’t use subtitles

3 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:03pm On Sep 01, 2023
I thought you guys said it not important or compulsory to teach phonetics and diction subjects in schools? Una never see anything.

When opportunities continue to slide off your hands in numbers, you'll appreciate phonetics and encourage your childrens schools to hire a diction instructor.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by samuelson06(m): 12:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
I know the real motive why this thread was created was to brag about how much dollars so so so and so person makes while living in Nigeria, and not that nonsense you wrote as topic

You are a smart girl. When you see people talking about one thing but trying to drag your interest away from what they are talking about to another thing, then certainly, they were talking about the other thing, which most times, is a lie.

3 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Microwhy: 12:05pm On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
Typical trench girl..
Those that earn almost equal will not see it that way.. that's to show how and where you belong.
You should have just keep quiet and read the comments.
The guy is afraid if he can actually understand and respond to core american accent during live conversation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by LydayBobo(m): 12:07pm On Sep 01, 2023
Speak slowly. Nigerians speaks correct Queen English. He would be fine. Have been there. If they can hear the Indians, they would hear you too. Best of luck 👍

2 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by CaseSensitive(m): 12:08pm On Sep 01, 2023
He should be fine if he speak clearly and slowly. He should also ask his foreign colleagues for clarification if they say something he doesn't understand. My employer being a global business, I regularly talk/hold meetings with colleagues in different European countries with different accents. Careful listening is a skill he should hone himself with. Employers will judge your communication skills, not your accent skills.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by dosage150(m): 12:11pm On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
You got it right , I really don't understand the breakdown 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by dosage150(m): 12:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
Microwhy:

Typical trench girl..
Those that earn almost equal will not see it that way.. that's to show how and where you belong.
You should have just keep quiet and read the comments.
The guy is afraid if he can actually understand and respond to core american accent during live conversation.
What does it have to do with the earnings?

Irrelevant bro, you know as well

3 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by muhdolamilekan(m): 12:13pm On Sep 01, 2023
Pls what does this role entails? The business Development. And how are guys easily landing this offers, pls any help?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Procashtips(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2023
yewit37486:

He should thank his stars that it is not the Scottish accent he has to deal with cheesy Thank God for emails!

I think his concern is they won't understand his own accent - since the job was upgraded to Outbound Sales which means he has to make calls to customers I presume, so definitely would be a concern if they can't understand him.

He's afraid he won't understand them.

You know they have different kind of accents in the US.

As for the Scottish people, I rest my case grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Kenmatt(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2023
meum:
He should speak the English he knows not those fake Nigerian accent kind of English.

Like, I was like, you know, like seriously?

I’m like, okay that’s fine. Like it’s really fine😂

I’ll like literally be like what is going on like right now?😂

Like Like Like everywhere in a sentence

Be corrected, all these trash you wrote here are not Nigerian accent.

When some people speak pigin in the name of King's English, you're here to call it "Nigerian accent".

I see those things as pigin English and not English language.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Kaiser20: 12:16pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advice for him?
They should increase his pay to #3.5 m per month so that he can solve the issue. Good morning
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:18pm On Sep 01, 2023
otipoju:
Let him speak slowly and clearly. They will be fine

It's not even about them understanding him but he understanding them when they speak.
In fact it goes both ways

How will he understand when the white man says " sha-lay" ( chalet) when he's expecting to hear "Cha let".
Or when he says . " On tro pru nor" ( entrepreneur) when he's expecting to hear " en ta pri nuah.

Let him go to school of communication or better still engage my services to teach him phoneh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by meum: 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2023
Kenmatt:

Be corrected, all these trash you wrote here are not Nigerian accent.

When some people speak pigin in the name of King's English, you're here to call it "Nigerian accent".

I see those things as pigin English and not English language.
You didn’t get it. To the speakers that is sounding different & foreign. Different ones dey I only showed one example.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by AfonjaConehead: 12:21pm On Sep 01, 2023
Chibuzoripob:
N

This one is silent cos he knows they are talking about int'l work and yanks and not Agbo or agbado or the Igbos or owomida agberoes grin grin grin grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:21pm On Sep 01, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
he should look for plugins/apps that transcribe speech, as they are speaking it will be converting it to written word for him (note: the transcription may not be 100% accurate)

When he's not a deaf and dumb.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:23pm On Sep 01, 2023
temmyyem:
Nothing to worry about as he will clearly hear business related terminology. Avoid going into a long discussion on personal stuff such as your plans for the weekend, politics, games and other stuff you do. Also, he should have recording apps for meetings to ensure he does not miss critical information.

LoL... See una life. 🤣🤣🤣😂

How person go dey e nor go discuss long matters with his colleagues. What if it's a life threatening condition?
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by otokzmail(m): 12:24pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Any advise for him?

Simple, just turn on the [CC] button (on the MS Teams, Google Meet, Zoom, Skype, etc) during your remote meetings.
That's all.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by DenreleDave(m): 12:24pm On Sep 01, 2023
grin grin
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by yewit37486: 12:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
Procashtips:

He's afraid he won't understand them.

You know they have different kind of accents in the US.

As for the Scottish people, I rest my case grin

grin grin he should not worry, he will learn 'on the job'. All the best to him.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Em5(m): 12:26pm On Sep 01, 2023
otipoju:
Let him speak slowly and clearly. They will be fine

I think his bigger challenge will be He understanding the Americans.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by phemmyfour: 12:27pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Any advise for him?
He should just be himself, most times they do understand our naija accent. I always tell them "can you say that again" if I don't understand them but you shouldn't have problem with American English if you are lovers of Hollywood movies
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by NSK4U(m): 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:

Any advise for him?

So tell me, what's the nexus between having difficulty in foreign accent and the salary as well as the job being offered?

You must have forgotten about smarter readers, please be more smart when next you want to create a thread with hidden intent

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Kenmatt(m): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2023
meum:

You didn’t get it. To the speakers that is sounding different & foreign. Different ones dey I only showed one example.

I got you however very well.

I wasn't actually saying it's you shaa.
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Chuknovski(m): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2023
Why is nobody talking about the pay, dear lord your boy is loyal, papa God reason me too, amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Life Lessons I Learned From A Shoe Cobbler - Johnspeak Uwangue / Our Encounters With Randy Men, Crazy Drivers – Female Traffic Controllers / Blue-collar Job In The UK Or White-collar Job In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.