Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,943 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? (13654 Views)

How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / Govt And Private Firms Workers: How Are You Coping With High Transport Costs? / Petrol And Cash Scarcity: Office Workers, How Are You Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ecolime(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2023
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by DaddyCoool: 7:35pm On Aug 31, 2023
What do you mean?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by otipoju(m): 7:41pm On Aug 31, 2023
Let him speak slowly and clearly. They will be fine

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by illicit(m): 7:56pm On Aug 31, 2023
I can teach him diction for a token

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by eepeepook: 7:59pm On Aug 31, 2023
He go learn by force.

8 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Evestar200(f): 10:00pm On Aug 31, 2023
Mine doesn't require speaking with anyone. unless my boss wants to speak with us and we all speak different languages.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by temmyyem: 11:40am On Sep 01, 2023
Nothing to worry about as he will clearly hear business related terminology. Avoid going into a long discussion on personal stuff such as your plans for the weekend, politics, games and other stuff you do. Also, he should have recording apps for meetings to ensure he does not miss critical information.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by oluwaseyi0: 11:40am On Sep 01, 2023
he should look for plugins/apps that transcribe speech, as they are speaking it will be converting it to written word for him (note: the transcription may not be 100% accurate)

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Chibuzoripob: 11:41am On Sep 01, 2023
N
Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by turmacs(f): 11:42am On Sep 01, 2023
I know the real motive why this thread was created was to brag about how much dollars so so so and so person makes while living in Nigeria, and not that nonsense you wrote as topic

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Unperturbedpota: 11:42am On Sep 01, 2023
Well it's very easy to understand when you have been travelling. But trust me you will get used to it ?

First time I left Nigeria I struggled with understanding the Irish and Scottish accents and meaning because they don't use words like we do, but wit time e go easy for you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by OboOlora(f): 11:42am On Sep 01, 2023
Inferiority complex!

Don’t fake it, speak normally and clearly. Remember most of the Americans speak worse English than you.

Take charge, be in control and as long as you speak fluently and clearly with good diction and grammar, you will win.

Except u r a teenager that can twist tongue clearly, don’t form the accent. U will end up sounding embarrassingly stupid.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by billionman: 11:42am On Sep 01, 2023
If he is smart enough to scale the 4 stages of recruitment, he will definitely get use to the different accents within a short time. He will learn that on the job.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by meum: 11:42am On Sep 01, 2023
He should speak the English he knows not those fake American/British accent kind of English some people speak.

Like, I was like, you know, like seriously?

I’m like, okay that’s fine. Like it’s really fine😂

I’ll like literally be like what is going on like right now?😂

Like Like Like everywhere in a sentence

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by kasim155: 11:43am On Sep 01, 2023
When he resume fully, he will adapt to it.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Bahamas95(m): 11:43am On Sep 01, 2023
He must not sound like them at first, he should speak slowly and they'll understand him. Nor be French he wan speak.

Presently am working with Indians, at first I struggled to understand their funny English and my new colleagues adviced me to listen attentively. We can now understand ourselves better unlike before........ At times I tease them by imitating their Indian accent and we laugh over it. grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Brainlight: 11:43am On Sep 01, 2023
INDIANS OWN NA DIE ......E BE LIKE SAY NA INCANTATON... DEM DEY TALK LIKE ... DEM CARRY WATER FOR MOUTH.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by pocohantas(f): 11:43am On Sep 01, 2023
He is just overthinking it which is normal.
I work remotely for a UK firm and my colleagues and bosses all have different accents. I have a Ukrainian colleague that can't even speak well but he delivers. To understand him, you have to add his short sentences like that of a 4yrs old child.

At first it was a struggle for me. They have this sense of humour that you need a lot of discernment to pick. So I would be confused if it is a question or a joke. Followed by an awkward silence and a more awkward laugh. With time I got better. I have meetings with many European clients and I speak slowly and listen very attentively. They know to take it slow. When I am confused, I say something like. "IF I GET YOU CLEARLY, YOU WANT ME TO DEDUCT XYZ FROM ABC?" Sometimes I ask them to type it. Or we go the extra mile (e.g) WORLD as in WORLDWIDE. J for JULIANNA. grin grin

Ask questions and they will answer. Their own is that you give RESULTS.

44 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Raxxye(m): 11:43am On Sep 01, 2023
How do you guys get these mouth-watering remote jobs?
I can see it's not even tech!

6 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Fafesot: 11:44am On Sep 01, 2023
Abeg...how una dey get this millions millions jobs?
Show us way oo, what are the qualifications required?

3 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by babajeje123(m): 11:45am On Sep 01, 2023
He should speak slowly and clearly and ask them politely to do same. Things like
'Could you say that again please?' or
'Could you say that slowly again for me please?' will help.

4 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Godsonkemz(m): 11:47am On Sep 01, 2023
Learn it

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Khyrvxjzy: 11:47am On Sep 01, 2023
ecolime:
A friend just got an international remote job but he is worried about communication with Native English speakers.

He aced the 4 stage interviews and has been given an offer. The pay is good considering the current exchange rate. He was offered $42,000 per annum.

Presently, he works with an audit firm and makes N1.9M NET monthly plus other side businesses.

The role was strictly for Inbound Pre-Qualification and Sales when he applied but at the final stage of the interview, adjustment was made in the JD which includes outbound sales.

Please note he understands and speaks English fluently but he has issues with thick American accents. The position is a Business Development role and it involves conversing extensively with Americans.

Any advise for him?

me when watching American movies i cant hear a single word but i do read subtitle

9 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by bigx(m): 11:48am On Sep 01, 2023
Speak slowly, listen carefully.

I speak with foreigners everyday for almost 10 yrs now

I use my Nigerian accent and I've not had big issues with anyone.

You'd get used to it

8 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Mindlog: 11:49am On Sep 01, 2023
Speak slowly and actively listen.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Procashtips(m): 11:49am On Sep 01, 2023
Seems some people can't read nor comprehend

He's not talking about himself, rather about those he's to speak with.

He's afraid he won't understand their accents.

Those Texans

6 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by yewit37486: 11:51am On Sep 01, 2023
Procashtips:
Seems some people can't read nor comprehend

He's not talking about himself, rather about those he's to speak with.

He's afraid he won't understand their accents.

Those Texans

He should thank his stars that it is not the Scottish accent he has to deal with cheesy Thank God for emails!

I think his concern is they won't understand his own accent - since the job was upgraded to Outbound Sales which means he has to make calls to customers I presume, so definitely would be a concern if they can't understand him.

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by pappilo(m): 11:52am On Sep 01, 2023
Why would your friend quit a stable audit job where he/she earns $2100 net per month for a remote sales job where there is no job security?

This makes no sense to me.

3 Likes

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by Unperturbedpota: 11:52am On Sep 01, 2023
turmacs:
I know the real motive why this thread was created was to brag about how much dollars so so so and so person makes while living in Nigeria, and not that nonsense you wrote as topic

So true 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? by ManOfMan: 11:52am On Sep 01, 2023
Watch plenty American movies

Listen to US radio stations on internet

Watch/listen to US TV programs on international TV stations

Pay particular attention to the way African Americans speak. It much easier to understand whites than black Americans

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? / MTN Ad-hoc Staff,should I Continue Or Quit?? / Funke Adekoya Wins 2019 African Legal Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.