Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,548 members, 7,955,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:08 PM

Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues (18105 Views)

History Of Tribal Marks ( Yoruba Perspective) + pictures / Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:24pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sweety, Yoruba men do the same thing with every tribe esp Edo and Calabar chics (for their sexuality prowess). But if you're trying to say that yoruba men knows that money is the way to an Igbo girl's heart, I wont argue. You should really ask your Non-igbo and non-Yoruba friends. I've encountered the same thing, maybe they're too caring wink

No, these men deliberately seek out igbo girls and am not saying they don't date other non igbo but igbo is a priced catch above all others.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by AndreUweh(m): 11:26pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Next time you need to make up a story about Yorubas this and that as you usually do in the other threads, try to seem as truthful as possible.

I hope that Taju and Taja live a long life. Even though Taju is not a yoruba name, we'll also look past that.
Did I say Taju was Yoruba or not?. I only wrote that he is from Kwara state.  
Just avoid my post and move on as you don't usually understand me.
The poster wanted an advice and I have done that using my niece as an example. No going back.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by lagcity(m): 11:26pm On Oct 16, 2011
@ OP. please don't listen to tribal monkeys on this thread. They've deep emotional/pyshological scars and are not fit to help you in such an important matter. Follow your heart. There's no guarantee that you'll be happy if you marry someone from your village just as there isn't any guarantee if you marry your Yoruba guy, so why not follow your heart? There are no guarantees in life.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 16, 2011
There is no need to breed more Igbo with Yoruba blood. It is turning some of our Yoruba kids arrogant! Excuse my bad behavior,please.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 16, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

No, these men deliberately seek out igbo girls and am not saying they don't date other non igbo but igbo is a priced catch above all others.

Is that so? grin

I hope my Yoruba brothers can answer this one o.  cheesy cheesy

Onlytruth:

Most Yoruba I know try to get "Igbo wife" or "Igbo girlfriend", but it is just a psychological therapy (to feel they scored against the Igbo or they got some Igbo genes into their family)

ROTFMAO!!

This one is above me. Igbo genes into the family? cheesy cheesy

About the second or third wife. I agree. And they usually ar Yorubas. That's why it's best for her to leave him. I'm sure that there is atleast one Igbo dude who can rival that Yoruba sweetheart tongue
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by lakal(m): 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

OP, listen carefully to wise advice here. There is a MAJOR difference between dating and marriage. That is why so see many people who dated for long (say 5 years) but divorce after just one year or two. A man can afford to experiment with marriage (to some extent); a woman can't, because by then, you have become "Tokunbo" with two kids! LOL. grin

Most Yoruba I know try to get "Igbo wife" or "Igbo girlfriend", but it is just a psychological therapy (to feel they scored against the Igbo or they got some Igbo genes into their family), NOTHING MORE. Marriage should not be about that. It should be about people who "assimilate" or "bond" into one state of culture for the rest of their lives.
IT AIN"T TEA PARTY.

Your case is part of an increasing Igbo problem stemming from years of living outside Igboland. It is not your fault. It is your parent's fault. Nevertheless, you still have power not to make it worse for yourself because by the time the "5hit" hit the fan later in your life, your parents may be long dead. It is YOUR life.

Perhaps the most important information you need is to be aware that most Yoruba men would have second or third or more wives before they go out of their prime. If they don't do that, they get "baby mamas" outside of your marriage.
Your dude may be in love with you today, but he would likely also be in love with more women later (after you've been trapped with two kids). Be warned.  cool

Biafra did a number on some of you peoples' psyche.  Yoruba people are not jealous of the Igbo.  Seriously.  In terms of marriage partner, we will marry whoever we fancy.

If I wan marry Yoruba girl, no shaking.  If na Igbo girl I dey find, ko si wahala.  Yorubas don't care as much as some of you seem to.  

Most times the kids of Igbo-Yoruba marriage speak Yoruba and have Yoruba names.  I think that's what is really burning some of una  grin
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by airmark(m): 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2011
chima12:

christygenius u should really be ashamed of yourself for wanting to settle with a yoruba man from a group which has no regard for your people,its obvious you dont know the path you are threading most likely leads to a hell of a marital life,how do you want to cope with a people who are so loud,dirty mannered and will not give a damn about you while they speak their language right in your presence and do not care if u can understand the yoruba language or not,they do not care if u think they are gossiping against you.for your information,whether you marry the Yoruba boy or not,he will still get a yoruba girl as second wife.if you still have any sense of pride in you as an ibo girl,just call off that relationship.there are many eligible and good ibo guys out there.am sure opposition from your parents may not be too much if he was ijaw,uhrobo or from crossrivers.yorubas and ibos simply do not see eye to eye.dump the yoruba guy and move on.youd be surprised he will move on much better than you,dump him now and in two months youll find out his just gotten married to a yoruba girl.dont deceive yourself with those feelings u call love,it can be deceptive.just end your relationship with the yoruba guy,quit dating yorubas,move on with your tribe.
as for those who accuse several advisers of tribalism,its all hypocrisy on their part ,trust me.

You should be ashamed of opening another account in order to post a comment. You are a loser.
@ OP, don't forget my advice in page 2. To hell with ibo bigots like andreuweh using many usernames to get read.
airmark:

@ OP , i want to ask you some questions:
1. Have you involved God in this i.e pray concerning your relationship?
2. Have you informed your pastor about the situation?
3. Do you really trust this your guy and is he for real?

Try to involve your pastor, may be he can mend fence between the two parents. Dont follow the crowd in this matter by thinking of dumping the dude, if you are sure of him and got positives from prayers. Nne go on.  My uncle married from another tribe and had been happily married since over 40 years, he told me their parents later supported the union.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Did I say Taju was Yoruba or not?. I only wrote that he is from Kwara state.  
Just avoid my post and move on as you don't usually understand me.
The poster wanted an advice and I have done that using my niece as an example. No going back.
So what's that got to do in an Igbo or Yoruba thread esp since you're advising her against her Yoruba sweetheart?
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by arsenefc: 11:29pm On Oct 16, 2011
lakal:

Some of you are so backwards and bigoted that you should be ashamed to post what you post.  Awon alaironu buruku.

Of course, only a forward looking, un-tribilized Nigerian would call others that disagree with him "Awon alaironu buruku."

May God save us from all the fake progressives we have on NL. Inter-ethnic marriage is bad for you, especially with Money hungry Ibos.

I am yet to meet an Ibo woman, or man,  who would not sell her family for money. Why do you think South East and co arent going after their fellow Ibos?
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Onlytruth(m): 11:29pm On Oct 16, 2011
Perhaps the most important information you need is to be aware that most Yoruba men would have second or third or more wives before they go out of their prime. If they don't do that, they get "baby mamas" outside of your marriage.
Your dude may be in love with you today, but he would likely also be in love with more women later (after you've been trapped with two kids). Be warned.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:30pm On Oct 16, 2011
lakal:

Biafra did a number on some of you peoples' psyche.  Yoruba people are not jealous of the Igbo.  Seriously.  In terms of marriage partner, we will marry whoever we fancy.

If I wan marry Yoruba girl, no shaking.  If na Igbo girl I dey find, ko si wahala.  Yorubas don't care as much as some of you seem to.  

Most times the kids of Igbo-Yoruba marriage speak Yoruba and have Yoruba names.  I think that's what is really burning some of una  grin

Yorubas have been intermarrying for the longest of time.

You'll find Hausas, Fulanis, Binis, Ibibos etc amongst us.

So why not Igbos?

We're not that tribalistic on avg.

The reason why Yoruba girls dont go much for Igbo men. . . . that's still something to analyze. But you see Yoruba girls going for SS (non Igbos), MB, and sometimes Northern men for marriage.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by arsenefc: 11:31pm On Oct 16, 2011
lagcity:

@ OP. please don't listen to tribal monkeys on this thread. They've deep emotional/pyshological scars and are not fit to help you in such an important matter. Follow your heart. There's no guarantee that you'll be happy if you marry someone from your village just as there isn't any guarantee if you marry your Yoruba guy, so why not follow your heart? There are no guarantees in life.

If you follow your heart, it most likely will lead you into poverty.

I say follow your head OP. Go where the money is.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by AndreUweh(m): 11:33pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

Your dude may be in love with you today, but he would likely also be in love with more women later (after you've been trapped with two kids). Be warned.
My brother, you have done well. I pity some Igbo girls.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by lakal(m): 11:34pm On Oct 16, 2011
arsenefc:

Of course, only a forward looking, un-tribilized Nigerian would call others that disagree with him "Awon alaironu buruku."

May God save us from all the fake progressives we have on NL. Inter-ethnic marriage is bad for you, especially with Money hungry Ibos.

I am yet to meet an Ibo woman, or man,  who would not sell her family for money. Why do you think South East and co arent going after their fellow Ibos?

Rewind 200 years into the past.  You might not even be able to marry from the village next to you for whatever reason.

To this day, Ekitis and Ijebus have mutual distrust towards each other in marriage, among the Yorubas.

Igbos have their own clan/state wahala within themselves to this day.

If you only go by what other people tell you or what others believe, you may never get anywhere.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by coogar: 11:35pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

hang your head in shame for this nonsense you typed -
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 16, 2011
lakal:

They have to, we cannot settle for less.

the day yoruba moves to the SE in large numbers is the day Igbo language cease to exist.

Where ever we go, we leave our culture and languages intact.

Seriously, I support yoruba-igbo marriage only to spread Yoruba  culture, but if both parents do not want it, its bound for disaster.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:36pm On Oct 16, 2011
I don't see why the Igbo men on this forum care exactly who the OP marries. OP can do wat she likes and enjoy or suffer the consequence alongside her family.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 16, 2011
lakal:

Rewind 200 years into the past.  You might not even be able to marry from the village next to you for whatever reason.

[size=18pt]To this day, Ekitis and Ijebus have mutual distrust towards each other in marriage, among the Yorubas.
[/size]
Igbos have their own clan/state wahala within themselves to this day.

If you only go by what other people tell you or what others believe, you may never get anywhere.

Never heard of this one. Why?   undecided
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Onlytruth(m): 11:37pm On Oct 16, 2011
I have a case of an Igbo lady from Illa in Delta state. She dated this "Christian" Yoruba man for 4 years and "prayed" as they dated.
Well, they eventually tied the knot and she had three kids; the first a boy, and the second twins -a boy and a girl.
Guess what, they are now divorced because he impregnated another lady. She is now raising three kids alone.

The second case is almost similar except that he (the Yoruba guy) came with the lady- an Igbo from Imo state,  to US. They had two sons, and today they are divorced too; reason, he impregnated another lady too.
She is now working as a CNA though she was a lawyer in Nigeria. She is wasted. I keep asking her why she never took the BAR (law license exam in US), she said the husband refused and threatened her with divorce. Well, she is divorced now anyway, and she is NOT A LAWYER still. angry
Sad sad.  sad
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by AndreUweh(m): 11:38pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So what's that got to do in an Igbo or Yoruba thread esp since you're advising her against her Yoruba sweetheart?
It is an advice for an Igbo wishing to marry a non Igbo.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

I have a case of an Igbo lady from Illa in Delta state. You dated this "Christian" Yoruba man for 4 years and "prayed" as they dated.
Well, they eventually tied the knot and she had three kids; the first a boy, and the second twins -a boy and a girl.
Guess what, they are now divorced because he impregnated another lady. She is now raising three kids alone.

The second case is almost similar except that he (the Yoruba guy) came with the lady- an Igbo from Imo state, to US. They had two sons, and today they are divorced two; reason, he impregnated another lady too.
She is now working as a CNA though she was a lawyer in Nigeria. She is wasted. I keep asking her why she never took he BAR (law license exam in US), she said the husband refused and threatened her with divorce. Well, she is divorced now anyway, and she is NOT A LAWYER still. angry
Sad sad.  sad

Everybody has their own story to tell. grin
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2011
Jeez! Yorubas are very respectful people and I can say of that for the Igbo(s).
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Onlytruth(m): 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2011
The stories are true.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

The stories are true.

Didnt say they arent.

Just storing them with the taju and taja stories of today.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mbatuku1: 11:41pm On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yorubas have been intermarrying for the longest of time.

You'll find Hausas, Fulanis, Binis, Ibibos etc amongst us.

So why not Igbos?

We're not that tribalistic on avg.

The reason why Yoruba girls dont go much for Igbo men. . . . that's still something to analyze. But you see Yoruba girls going for SS (non Igbos), MB, and sometimes Northern men for marriage.

And who told you Yoruba girls dont go for Igbo men? My own wife is Yoruba and a number of Igbo friends I know are married to yoruba women, though, a few went into such marriages for some funny reasons.

So stop posting what you do not know about.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by lakal(m): 11:42pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

I have a case of an Igbo lady from Illa in Delta state. She dated this "Christian" Yoruba man for 4 years and "prayed" as they dated.

The second case is almost similar except that he (the Yoruba guy) came with the lady- an Igbo from Imo state,  to US. They had two sons, and today they are divorced too; reason, he impregnated another lady too.
She is now working as a CNA though she was a lawyer in Nigeria. She is wasted. I keep asking her why she never took he BAR (law license exam in US), she said the husband refused and threatened her with divorce. Well, she is divorced now anyway, and she is NOT A LAWYER still. angry
Sad sad.  sad

I can also give the story of my Aunt who is married to an Igbo big man from Delta State.  They have five children and she had to flee their house due to him making death threats and abusing her and the children.  Don't you think everyone has stories?  Nonsense.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 16, 2011
lakal:

Some of you are so backwards and bigoted that you should be ashamed to post what you post.  Awon alaironu buruku.

grin grin grin grin grin

Onlytruth:

OP, listen carefully to wise advice here. There is a MAJOR difference between dating and marriage. That is why so see many people who dated for long (say 5 years) but divorce after just one year or two. A man can afford to experiment with marriage (to some extent); a woman can't, because by the time you hit a snag in the experiment after some years, you have become "Tokunbo" with two kids! LOL. grin

Most Yoruba I know try to get "Igbo wife" or "Igbo girlfriend", but it is just a psychological therapy (to feel they scored against the Igbo or they got some Igbo genes into their family), NOTHING MORE. Marriage should not be about that. It should be about people who "assimilate" or "bond" into one state of culture for the rest of their lives.
IT AIN"T TEA PARTY.

Your case is part of an increasing Igbo problem stemming from years of living outside Igboland. It is not your fault. It is your parent's fault. Nevertheless, you still have power not to make it worse for yourself because by the time[b] the "5hit" hit the fan later in your life, your parents may be long dead. It [/b]is YOUR life.

Your dude may be in love with you today, but he would likely also be in love with more women later (after you've been trapped with two kids). Be warned.  cool

As if [i]5hit [/i]doesn't hit the fan in Igbo/Igbo marriages. Why you people act like saints is beyond me.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by arsenefc: 11:43pm On Oct 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

She is now working as a CNA though she was a lawyer in Nigeria. She is wasted. [size=18pt]I keep asking her why she never took he BAR (law license exam in US), she said the husband refused and threatened her with divorce. [/size]Well, she is divorced now anyway, and she is NOT A LAWYER still. angry
Sad sad.  sad

If you believe that, then I have a room for you in Asorock.

Of course, we know you 'is' just trolling. Interesting stories though. More for the boys?

coogar:

hang your head in shame for this nonsense you typed -

He is got no shame. Let him hang it where-ever he wants. Hopefully somewhere far far away from Ileke's arse
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by nnwniger: 11:44pm On Oct 16, 2011
Madam Wona Marry my Yoruba Lover, you can listen to Andre's and host of other advices or keep on looking for one that will support your sick ideas of ignoring both parents. Experimenting with your sexuality with your lover boy is no love." A fly  that does not listen must surely be berried with the dead" Take whatever that is left of you and run, and tell the lover boy that such marriage will never work. When one marries, he/she marries the whole family and that's a fact. You can keep on believing that you're loved, whatever turns you on. Unless you're a "Osu", an outcast, you can still fall in love and marry an Igbo man of your choice even if you've been completely used or just felt used.Good luck
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 16, 2011
mbatuku1:

And who told you Yoruba girls dont go for Igbo men? My own wife is Yoruba and a number of Igbo friends I know are married to yoruba women, though, a few went into such marriages for some funny reasons.

So stop posting what you do not know about.

Yes, now every anti-yoruba tribalist on nl has either a yoruba gf or yoruba wife.

Abi. No be so.

I mean, i know some Igbo-Yoruba kids, not saying ko possible. just saying that it does not happen with us as often.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by showstopa: 11:45pm On Oct 16, 2011
Andre Uweh, such bitterness. You are not just a tribalist but  a sexist too. I am so sorry for you, and I pray bitterness lets you make progress
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Onlytruth(m): 11:46pm On Oct 16, 2011
Posted by: arsenefc

If you believe that, then I have a room for you in Asorock.

The husband was driving cab and feared the wife would leave him first.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka / Ooni Ogunwusi At The Library Of Congress In Washington D.C. - Photos / 7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.