Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? (1184 Views)

Nigeria Has A Lazy Political Class – Pat Utomi / The Final Year Uniben Student Who Knelt Down In Class(the Real Truth). / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? by kulutempa: 3:30pm On Oct 16, 2011
I just came across this article in the British Guardian newspaper on Corruption in Nigeria, written by one Remi Adekoya titled " Nigeria won't progress while corruption is "just the way it is".  Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/10/nigeria-corruption-acceptance

I was particularly intrigued by one of the comments to the article by someone with the user name  'Nwachi'.  Here is what he had to say:

[b]The levels of corruption in China will shock you, even if you were privy to the secret dealings of the worst Nigerian politicians. Suharto in Indonesia was a master at corruption, but he still made progress and the Korean Chaebols were very corrupt.

China, Indonesia and Korea made significant progress in spite of corruption because the lack of progress was rapidly becoming a national security issue. China had endured thirty years of stagnant economic growth under Mao, and Deng understood that he had to create prosperity (especially after Tienanmen Square) or risk then end of the Chinese Communist Party.

Park Chung Hee and Suharto understood that they had to improve living standards or risk a full blown Communist insurgency. It is enlightened self-interest not altruism, that drives national development.

Why am I saying this? Nigeria has a huge youth bulge and massive unemployment. These problems are being manifested in the Boko Haram, Kidnapping and Niger Delta crises.

Remi, lack of development is rapidly becoming a national security issue, and the Nigerian political class is beginning to learn that. The learning process should be complete within this decade. So subsequently it should be much easier to push for change (observe that Jonathan is taking the Electricity problem much more seriously than Obasanjo ever did).

I have had heated discussions about Nigeria, I worked as a business consultant in Nigeria (overseeing projects in the Federal Civil Service), I have interacted with Nigerian politicians and Nigerian business leaders. These people don't read the "Comment is Free" section of the "The Guardian" and they don't react to carefully reasoned / sophisticated arguments.

Nigeria's development will take off when Nigerian politicians realise that it is in their interest to spur development - when the choice is either development or the destruction of the political class.

They are learning fast, give them a bit more time.[/b]

Do you think he is right?   Do you think the only way we can get our leaders to do the right thing, is to make their lives and cosy existence uncomfortable?   Let's have your views and comments.
Re: Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2011
I totally agree with their argument. During the last decade there was no genuine fight anywhere but gradually its starting. The really strong groups might be fighting for the wrong reasons presently but surely before the end of this decade things will change. More and more nigerians are begining to speak up and the political class getting the message though poorly for now. In time there will be a stronger force in the voice of the masses.
Re: Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? by Kobojunkie: 4:56pm On Oct 16, 2011
kulutempa:

Remi, lack of development is rapidly becoming a national security issue, and the Nigerian political class is beginning to learn that. The learning process should be complete within this decade. So subsequently it should be much easier to push for change (observe that Jonathan is taking the Electricity problem much more seriously than Obasanjo ever did).

I think it is too early to reach the conclusion made above by the poster. I said this considering much of the improvement we see today can be traced back to projects commenced and planned out during the Obasanjo administration.
Re: Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2011
kulutempa:

Nigeria's development will take off when Nigerian politicians realise that it is in their interest to spur development - when the choice is either development or the destruction of the political class.
They are learning fast, give them a bit more time.[/b]

I think the above expressed notion is based on risky elements. It is not impossible to believe that Nigeria may also end up a failed state where instead the political class further isolates itself from the masses, to save themselves from destruction.
Waiting on the political class to, all on their own, save the day is kind of no different from what we have been doing for the past 51 years. I would not know why we would continue to continue on the same path.
Re: Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? by kulutempa: 6:18pm On Oct 16, 2011
blink182:

I totally agree with their argument. During the last decade there was no genuine fight anywhere but gradually its starting. The really strong groups might be fighting for the wrong reasons presently but surely before the end of this decade things will change. More and more nigerians are begining to speak up and the political class getting the message though poorly for now. In time there will be a stronger force in the voice of the masses.

This is the trend I am beginning to see as well. The Niger Delta was neglected for ages until the militants started blowing up pipelines and threatened to reduce the flow of oil money available to 'chop'. Before you could say presto, the government negotiated an amnesty and started skills training programmes for the militants. They are also trying to do the same thing with Boko Haram. I believe the key issue is that the government is beginning to realise that it does not have a monopoly on violence and that when you are fighting with people who have nothing to lose, you stand to lose a lot yourself. There are now more and more people who have nothing to lose in Nigeria. Go figure.
Re: Is Threatening The Nigerian Political Class The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 16, 2011
You have said it all. The problem with the majority of the masses that should be driving on this path is they are ignorant but that is rapidly changing.

(1) (Reply)

Can We Say: We Need Someone Like Him... Hmm! / Obamacare Begins Child Sterilization, Without Parental Consent / Hon. Patrick Obaihagbon's Independence Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.