Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox (72002 Views)

How The Crashed Bristow Helicopter Was Transported To Lagos (photos) / Crashed Plane Carrying Agagu's Remains (Video) / VIDEO: How The Plane Crashed In Lagos (Ikeja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by LMAyedun(m): 4:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
There appeared to be an argument between the Captain and the First Officer of the Associated Airline aircraft which crashed on 3 October in Lagos Nigeria and killed 15 people, the aircraft’s black box has revealed.

The readout of the black box ,also known as Cockpit Voice Recorder, CVR, conducted by Nigeria’s Accident Investigation Bureau, AIB, in its Abuja’s laboratory revealed that the computer onboard the plane sent a warning message to the Captain, Yakubu Abdulrahman, shortly before take-off but he ignored it.

The First Officer then suggested to the pilot to abort take-off but Yakubu Abdulrahman proceeded and took off.

“The First Officer asked if the take-off should be aborted approximately 12 seconds after the ‘eight knots’ callout,” said Captain Mukhtar Usman, Commissioner Accident Investigation Bureau,AIB.

AIB said the pilot and the co-pilot discussed some concerns about the aircraft prior to departure.

“The crew discussed some concerns about the aircraft prior to departure but at this time we are not prepared to elaborate on those concerns as there remains a lot of work to do to complete on the CVR analysis in order to determine the specific nature of the crew’s concerns,” said AIB Commissioner, Muktar Usman.

Usman said approximately four seconds after engine power was advanced to commence the take-off roll, the crew received an automated warning from the onboard computer voice which consisted of three chimes followed by “take-off flaps…take-off flaps.
“This is a configuration warning that suggests that the flaps were not in correct position for take-off. And there is some evidence that the crew may have chosen not to use the flap for take-off,” Usman said.

“This warning continued throughout the take-off roll,” Usman added.

“Approximately three seconds after ‘power is set’ call, the First Officer noted that the aircraft was moving slowly.

“At this time we can state that the Right engine appeared to be producing considerably less thrust than the left engine. The left engine appeared to be working normally,” Usman said.
—Simon Ateba/Abuja

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/10/11/pilots-argued-in-crashed-plane/?utm_

6 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by baybiemee: 4:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
And a heartless fellow said it was an act of God

133 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by talktrue1(m): 4:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Captain ignored the warning message!!!

18 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Tintinix: 5:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
....And Stella Oduah should resign because of a blatant disregard for safety warnings!!!!!!

59 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by yunglykmine(m): 5:10pm On Oct 11, 2013
baybiemee: And a heartless fellow said it was an act of God
Na slip of the tongue nau... No vex.
Take this kiss

9 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Nobody: 5:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
Was this pilot on a self suicide pact? How can someone ignore such a warning, knowing that there are no pit-stops in the air?

Me, I tire for some people o!

35 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by donphilopus: 5:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
With all this, do we still believe the crash was an act of God?
NO

4 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by thorpido(m): 5:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
I have always wondered if the planes don't give signs of technical problem and this goes to show that indeed there are signs but people just choose to ignore those signs.

The captain must have been a man who trusted in his experience/ability.
We need the guidance of God in our lives and may we hear the voice of the Spirit when He cautions us.

23 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by awodman: 5:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
L.M Ayedun..:

The readout of the black box ,also known as Cockpit Voice Recorder, CVR, conducted by Nigeria’s Accident Investigation Bureau, AIB, in its Abuja’s laboratory revealed that the computer onboard the plane sent a warning message to the Captain, Yakubu Abdulrahman, shortly before take-off but he ignored it.

They accuse Stella Oduah of only beautifying our airports and I ask under whose tenure was this laboratory set up?

Before this black box would have been holed up in one laboratory in US or Europe and we would probably be waiting for the result

The First Officer then suggested to the pilot to abort take-off but Yakubu Abdulrahman proceeded and took off.

Oga pilot you see what non adherence to rules can cause

105 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by donphilopus: 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
awodman: Oga pilot you see what non adherence to rules can cause
why blaming him na?
Do you know whether he was coming back from suspension?
He'll be eager to pilot a plane after a year of suspension na

2 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Visocrate(m): 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
the pilot should have been psychologically and cognitively examined before his take-off really

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by yunglykmine(m): 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
I blame the crash on the careless Aviation sector & the 'over-Sabi' Pilot.
R I P to the lost ones.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/associated-airline-crash-pilots-argued-over-takeoff-pm-news-lagos
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Brymo: 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
Etya .Godresttheirsoul.
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by samski(m): 5:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
watz happening in dis nation??...
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by samski(m): 5:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
MillionDollars: .
lyk seriously,dis is all u've got?? undecided
MillionDollars: .
lyk seriously,dis is all u've got??
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by iterator25: 5:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Nice one from Africa's own 'NTSB'... but we need a more comprehensive analysis.. good job though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Guess stella odua was right after all
Yakubu abdulraman, that says it all.

You guys are misunderstanding stella odua. What she meant was that, the plane crash wasn't due to an error by her ministry or the agency i.e everything was in right order, just the way it is in successful flights.

23 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by zyzzx: 5:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
I hope say no be from Yaba left that airline dey employ their pilots ?

2 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ceejayluv(m): 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
donphilopus: why blaming him na?
Do you know whether he was coming back from suspension?
He'll be eager to pilot a plane after a year of suspension na
Yeah, we should blame Stella instead , right?
Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by nduchucks: 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
In Nigeria, even the blackbox recording can be doctored for political gains. Don't let them put the wool over your eyes. No sane pilot will risk his own life by ignoring such a warning and take off anyway, unless he is a kamakaze pilot. Nonesense!!

89 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Jensenelizz(m): 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
How the plane no go crash when na hausa man won fly am.....shey im thnk say na herd of cattle na im dey drive......mtchewwwwwww....i don provoke angry *tears cloth off and nearly use hammer nak my lumia* angry

31 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by ITbomb(m): 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
It was not an Act of God neither was it due to the age of the aircraft .
Even 20 yrs aircraft is still very safe .
This was mere negligence.
I believe the pilot wanted to avoid the blame of why didn't u check the plane before we came

11 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by patostation(m): 5:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
kaeyame: Was this pilot on a self suicide pact? How can someone ignore such a warning, knowing that there are no pit-stops in the air?

Me, I tire for some people o!

Probably a Boko-trained pilot.

5 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by zyzzx: 5:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
Abi the pilot dey play too much Playstation ?

4 Likes

Re: Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox by picoba(m): 5:36pm On Oct 11, 2013

The pilot sound to be an half bake pilot. Education system in Nigeria!
I guess the pilot had is training here in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures) / Ibadan Bound Train Crossing Kajola Bridge. A Once Deeply Forested Area. Pics / What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.