Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,269 members, 7,839,348 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga (2406 Views)

SEE HOW CHATGPT INTERPRETED THE 25% REQUIREMENT IN FCT / Doyin Okupe: The Number Of Votes Atiku May Get In 2019 To Win Buhari / Sorting Of Votes Begins At PDP Convention (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by oluwasunkanmi97(m): 6:03pm On Sep 07, 2023
Well, I thought at least 25 percent of two-thirds of the 36 states of the Federation and the FCT meant getting at least 25 percent in 24 states and at least 25 percent in the FCT.

Well, it seems like the "and the FCT" in this context is treating Abuja like a state of the Federation in that context.

So in other words, if a candidate wins 23 states and wins Abuja having met other requirements, he is good to go.
If he 24 states and didn't win Abuja, he is still good to go.

Okay.
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by AndroBlaze: 6:18pm On Sep 07, 2023
DMerciful:
You're arguing blindly.

A law that has already been passed is the law whether you like it or not.

How can you make a contract to kill someone when its against the constitution and anything against the constitution stands null and void!

How can you make a law thats against a fundamental human right ready protected by the constitution to say you'll deal with a particular people? If you cannot give reasonable examples to support your assertions, then it means it doesn't make sense in the first place.

I give you a simple example, it is against the law to drive one way(driving on the wrong side of the road) but people could have serious emergency that could warrant that. No matter the emergency, doing it means breaking the law and you can get the punishment specified by the law. Can a judge temper justice with mercy if the reasons are made known, absolutely but thats his prerogative

So it is reasonable to you that a person that wants to rule the whole country must get 25% of votes in only a small tiny part of the country, because you know that both Tinubu and Atiku did not fulfill that condition shey? That is reasonable to you but the "sane" and "fair" explanation we have given you is not?

Anyway, when you are tired, re-read your own words and you'll understand why 25% interpretation of Obidients is as "ludicrous" as the examples I gave and why any sane court would dismiss it.

How can you make a contract to kill someone when its against the constitution and anything against the constitution stands null and void! (Like your notion that Abuja residents votes are superior to all other nigerian states)

How can you make a law thats against a fundamental human right ready protected by the constitution.... (Like my right to be seen as equal to any other Nigerian, which includes Abuja residents)
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by abbasajao(m): 6:28pm On Sep 07, 2023
netricoin:
The people of the FCT don't have the opportunity to vote for who they want to be their FCT minister, which is like a governor of a state, the only opportunity they have is to have a say on who should be the president of Nigeria, by giving that person a minimum of 25% of votes.
One important questions to ask is:
If the INEC chairman think that the people of the FCT votes is not important at all in the presidential election, then why did he allowed them to come out to vote in the day of the presidential election?
If the reason why the people in the FCT votes is for the mandatory 25% in the FCT, then why was that part of the Constitution not implemented?
By just looking at the PEPC judgement, one will wonder of what use or contribution was the votes from the FCT in the 2023 presidential election
Once a court is compromise, they will look for loop holes to apply technicalities in favour of the ruling party. Had it been Peter obi was announced by INEC to have the highest votes but failed to get 25% of votes in the FCT, the PEPC will have used that against him, I am not surprised on how they controversial rule that a hard drugs case is a civilian case

Interpretation is your problem. I suggest that FGN interpret the constitution into Igbo language for better understanding.

3 Likes

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by benardtotti(m): 6:31pm On Sep 07, 2023
DMerciful:
Is FCT a state or not a state? If its a state, it should have the attributes of a state. Why are we complicating things in Nigeria?

FCT is given a status just like some US states with higher electoral college votes than others. Eg California

We don't practice Electoral college here , by the way if the reverse was the case and obi won 27 states but failed t0 win or get 25% in fct ,none 0f you will preach that fct is a special place and must determine the election .

2 Likes

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Christistruth03: 6:34pm On Sep 07, 2023
cool

Lawyers including many that were Senior Advocates of Nigeria actually believed and argued as if Abuja voters were a master Race and Superior to others !

The Osu Caste System did a lot of damage o!
Does this mean that if these People could have their way they would actually change the constitution to give Abuja voters veto Power over the rest of Nigeria?

The White man is not Africa's Problem
Africans are!!

They should give up this Osu Caste System Mentality and not try to impose it on the rest of Nigeria

Abuja voters are not a master Race
All Nigerian voters are equal

Even in an ordinary Agbero Motor Garage is anybody superior to anyone, No !!

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Goke7: 6:37pm On Sep 07, 2023
grin Electoral college don enter this matter for here

Jesus Christ

2 Likes

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Wainey: 6:41pm On Sep 07, 2023
DMerciful:
The law is the law. After the Supreme Court judgement, lets change it to 37 states so there is no confusion. The NASS can amend the constitution
Thats true, Abuja people should be considered legitimate Nigeria while the rest of us should be lesser Nigerians.
They can singl handedly decide who becomes the president

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by MrsTwrite(f): 7:04pm On Sep 07, 2023
Nigeria no work!
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by DMerciful(m): 7:41pm On Sep 07, 2023
Change the law!
Wainey:
Thats true, Abuja people should be considered legitimate Nigeria while the rest of us should be lesser Nigerians.
They can singl handedly decide who becomes the president
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by DMerciful(m): 7:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Why is all political party required to have office in Abuja?
AndroBlaze:

So it is reasonable to you that a person that wants to rule the whole country must get 25% of votes in only a small tiny part of the country, because you know that both Tinubu and Atiku did not fulfill that condition shey? That is reasonable to you but the "sane" and "fair" explanation we have given you is not?

Anyway, when you are tired, re-read your own words and you'll understand why 25% interpretation of Obidients is as "ludicrous" as the examples I gave and why any sane court would dismiss it.

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Wainey: 7:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
DMerciful:
Change the law!
that argument about 25% in Abuja is an insult to education.
Anyone who put his hope on that nonsense has no business with "common sense"

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Globad(f): 7:58pm On Sep 07, 2023
seunmsg:

FCT is not a federating unit like the rest of the states. It is a special creation at the center of the country for the administration of the government of the federation. That is why all the original people indigenous to the place were relocated with all the land vested in the president.
So, the people empowered to elect the administrator of the FCT are Nigerians from all parts of the country and not just Abuja residents. The FCT is not even up to a state in the real sense. It is a quasi-state and that is why the constitution has to push it up to the status of a state through section 299. So, how can the resident of a quasi-state be more important than the residents of the states that make up the Federation? How can the residents of the FCT be given the legal power to veto the votes of the rest of Nigerians?

The Constitution never gave FCT such powers. The interpretation of Peter Obi and Atiku's lawyers are simply ridiculous and laughable. Any other interpretation other than the one given unanimously by the five Justices of the Court of Appeal yesterday would have amounted to anarchy and chaos.

Don't mind them

They should just elect an Abuja governor and automatically turn him to the country's president because Abuja voters are superior

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Legalaffairs(m): 8:14pm On Sep 07, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

Oga u talked about common sense, but u have failed to apply it... Why on earth will anyone that is sane think fct vote is superior to any other state? What is wrong with some people in this country? If Abuja's vote becomes superior to other state, what then is democracy, which preaches equity, that everyone's vote is equal? What system of government do we call that? U people should rest and accept defeat, Obi should even sue his lawyers, cos u can't tell me that those Sans couldn't interprete simple English stated in the electoral act, or may be they were even working for Apc, cos it looked liked they deliberately bungled the whole thing by leading him on with stupid allegations.

Empty. Zero sense
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by alcuin(m): 8:27pm On Sep 07, 2023
So in future elections, all an opposition needs is to make sure one does not have 25% of FCT, even when such a one has 90% in all others states.

How does this make sense to you?

2 Likes

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by AwkaFinest: 8:34pm On Sep 07, 2023
DMerciful:
Is FCT a state or not a state? If its a state, it should have the attributes of a state. Why are we complicating things in Nigeria?

FCT is given a status just like some US states with higher electoral college votes than others. Eg California

Reason why they get such status in the USA is clear. Population and GDP. So we go take funds from the states build Abuja, still make people living in Abuja higher breeds than those in the rest of the country?
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by AwkaFinest: 8:40pm On Sep 07, 2023
Globad:

Don't mind them

They should just elect an Abuja governor and turn automatically turn him to the country's president because Abuja voters are superior

I tire oo. Abuja people are more Nigerians than the rest. Once you leave you state to go reside in Abuja, you automatically become a super Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by DMerciful(m): 8:58pm On Sep 07, 2023
Then amend your constitution but for now, the law is the law!
AwkaFinest:

Reason why they get such status in the USA is clear. Population and GDP. So we go take funds from the states build Abuja, still make people living in Abuja higher breeds than those in the rest of the country?
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by SIONKPO1(m): 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

Oga u talked about common sense, but u have failed to apply it... Why on earth will anyone that is sane think fct vote is superior to any other state? What is wrong with some people in this country? If Abuja's vote becomes superior to other state, what then is democracy, which preaches equity, that everyone's vote is equal? What system of government do we call that? U people should rest and accept defeat, Obi should even sue his lawyers, cos u can't tell me that those Sans couldn't interprete simple English stated in the electoral act, or may be they were even working for Apc, cos it looked liked they
deliberately bungled the whole thing by leading him on with stupid allegations.
Why is English and Mathematics superior to other O'level subjects
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by yoruboid: 10:15pm On Sep 07, 2023
So the OP means that if I win 70% of votes cast in the 36 states but fail to get 25% in Abuja, then the election results will be cancelled or a rerun called for?

It means I can focus on only Abuja, keep getting over 75% of the votes and keep forcing a rerun

I know most LP faithfuls already know they did not win the elections going by numbers and they are looking for technicalities to fault BAT’s declaration as President

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Top5ers: 10:41pm On Sep 07, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

Oga u talked about common sense, but u have failed to apply it... Why on earth will anyone that is sane think fct vote is superior to any other state? What is wrong with some people in this country? If Abuja's vote becomes superior to other state, what then is democracy, which preaches equity, that everyone's vote is equal? What system of government do we call that? U people should rest and accept defeat, Obi should even sue his lawyers, cos u can't tell me that those Sans couldn't interprete simple English stated in the electoral act, or may be they were even working for Apc, cos it looked liked they deliberately bungled the whole thing by leading him on with stupid allegations.

Lol you borrow constitution from USA but want to only apply what favors your candidate. Are you even aware that In 2005 or so Buhari took OBJ to court and Supreme Court ruled that you must get 25% in FCT to be president?

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by ayusco85(m): 10:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
DMerciful:

You are arguing with a dead brain guy

2 Likes

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by Ingocof(m): 11:32pm On Sep 07, 2023
netricoin:
The people of the FCT don't have the opportunity to vote for who they want to be their FCT minister, which is like a governor of a state, the only opportunity they have is to have a say on who should be the president of Nigeria, by giving that person a minimum of 25% of votes.
One important questions to ask is:
If the INEC chairman think that the people of the FCT votes is not important at all in the presidential election, then why did he allowed them to come out to vote in the day of the presidential election?
If the reason why the people in the FCT votes is for the mandatory 25% in the FCT, then why was that part of the Constitution not implemented?
By just looking at the PEPC judgement, one will wonder of what use or contribution was the votes from the FCT in the 2023 presidential election
Once a court is compromise, they will look for loop holes to apply technicalities in favour of the ruling party. Had it been Peter obi was announced by INEC to have the highest votes but failed to get 25% of votes in the FCT, the PEPC will have used that against him, I am not surprised on how they controversial rule that a hard drugs case is a civilian case

You talked of common sense but your submission here is bereft of it.
That means in any case Abuja alone should be deciding who becomes the president because they do not have a governor.
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by pquaver(m): 3:11am On Sep 08, 2023
DMerciful:
The law is the law. After the Supreme Court judgement, lets change it to 37 states so there is no confusion. The NASS can amend the constitution

I dont think u are capable of understanding compound things talkless of complex things seriously.. Because if u ever did mathematics in school, i dont see how u dont the pharase let X be 3.. Because that is what we do it maths everyday.. Let us assume X is 3 then u substitute.. Constitution says let us assume FCT is a state with president as governor, national assembly as it house of assembly etc such a simple and staight forward assumption u can't understand.. How is Nigeria supposed to be an exporting country when this kond of youth who cant even be creative and understand little abstract things are i in their thousands?
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by pquaver(m): 3:15am On Sep 08, 2023
SIONKPO1:

Why is English and Mathematics superior to other O'level subjects

Because there is a clause explicit.. "Must pass English and maths".. Such doesn't apply to fct
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by DMerciful(m): 4:07am On Sep 08, 2023
If it qas that straightforward, why is it a bone of contention? I'm saying amend the constitution to make it clearer. Anyways,
when it gets to Supreme Court, their judgment will lay it to rest.

Finally, apply some decorum when discussing in public
pquaver:

I dont think u are capable of understanding compound things talkless of complex things seriously.. Because if u ever did mathematics in school, i dont see how u dont the pharase let X be 3.. Because that is what we do it maths everyday.. Let us assume X is 3 then u substitute.. Constitution says let us assume FCT is a state with president as governor, national assembly as it house of assembly etc such a simple and staight forward assumption u can't understand.. How is Nigeria supposed to be an exporting country when this kond of youth who cant even be creative and understand little abstract things are i in their thousands?
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by SIONKPO1(m): 1:00pm On Sep 08, 2023
pquaver:

Because there is a clause explicit.. "Must pass English and maths".. Such doesn't apply to fct
Same is with FCT
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by pquaver(m): 1:06pm On Sep 08, 2023
SIONKPO1:

Same is with FCT
. It is not same.. 25 in 2/3 of state and fct..

U must pass math and English and 5 other subjects is the clause.. Math is a subject
English is a subject just like every other physic, chemistry etc..

Fct is not a state but is likened to a state that is why it is said "state and fct"..

Let take x to be 3...is assume x is 3 same as fct.. Assume it is a state.. That does not necessarily make x to be 3 or make fct to be a state. If u no understand again sorry no be my fault.. I will advise u to go look for handwork.. Educational way no be for u..
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by SIONKPO1(m): 1:11pm On Sep 08, 2023
pquaver:
. It is not same.. 25 in 2/3 of state and fct..

U must pass math and English and 5 other subjects is the clause.. Math is a subject
English is a subject just like every other physic, chemistry etc..

Fct is not a state but is likened to a state that is why it is said "state and fct"..

Let take x to be 3...is assume x is 3 same as fct.. Assume it is a state.. That does not necessarily make x to be 3 or make fct to be a state. If u no understand again sorry no be my fault.. I will advise u to go look for handwork.. Educational way no be for u..
Hope you are aware that Nigeria don't use simple Majority in its Electoral Law?
The issue is that the formulators of our Laws needs to make it simple and straight
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by jerk: 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2023
They twisted it to suit their drug master. Country of corrupt leaders.

1 Like

Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by hammerFC: 3:32pm On Sep 08, 2023
seunmsg:

FCT is not a federating unit like the rest of the states. It is a special creation at the center of the country for the administration of the government of the federation. That is why all the original people indigenous to the place were relocated with all the land vested in the president.
So, the people empowered to elect the administrator of the FCT are Nigerians from all parts of the country and not just Abuja residents. The FCT is not even up to a state in the real sense. It is a quasi-state and that is why the constitution has to push it up to the status of a state through section 299. So, how can the resident of a quasi-state be more important than the residents of the states that make up the Federation? How can the residents of the FCT be given the legal power to veto the votes of the rest of Nigerians?

The Constitution never gave FCT such powers. The interpretation of Peter Obi and Atiku's lawyers are simply ridiculous and laughable. Any other interpretation other than the one given unanimously by the five Justices of the Court of Appeal yesterday would have amounted to anarchy and chaos.

TINUBU DID NOT WIN.

WHICH EVER WAY YOU WANT TO APPROACH IT.

BEST BET HERE IS TO RECALL THE ELECTION AND ALLOW NIGERIANS VOTE THE PRESIDENT THEY WANT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION.

I GUARANTEE YOU, TINUBU WILL COME A DISTANT LAST, IN ANY FREE AND FAIR ELECTION WITH IREV.
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by pquaver(m): 4:22pm On Sep 08, 2023
SIONKPO1:

Hope you are aware that Nigeria don't use simple Majority in its Electoral Law?
The issue is that the formulators of our Laws needs to make it simple and straight

We use simple majority and spread which is 25% in 2/3 of fct and 36 states
Re: The 25% Of Votes In The FCT Common Sense Saga by netricoin: 5:47am On Sep 09, 2023
rtdCivilservant:

The 1999 constitution didn't say that the FCT can be treated like a state in the day of election, what it says in section 299 is that it can be modified to make it look like a state.
The common sense there's for the Constitution to be amended to make the FCT look like a 37 state, where the people of the FCT can vote for who they want to be their governor or who they want to be their FCT minister before the election

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hardship: Tinubu Supporter Goes Begging For His Daughter's School Fees / Where Are The Obasanjo Fans In The House? / Biafra Will Be The Most Corrupt Country In The World If Created.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.