Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs (26447 Views)

Benin Republic Slams CFA 2M On Nigeria Cargoes In Retaliation For Border Closure / Bigger Cargoes To Berth At Onitsha Port Soon – FG / FG Rejects Two Cargoes Of Adulterated Petrol Imported From Belgium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by FreeStuffsNG: 5:36pm On Sep 07, 2023
Oyetola condemns physical examination of cargoes by Customs

The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Adegboyega Oyetola has condemned the high rate of physical examination of cargoes at the port by the Nigeria Customs Service.

Speaking during his maiden visit to the head office of the Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC) in Apapa, Lagos on Wednesday, the Minister said, “The issue of Customs inspecting cargoes physically is archaic. It is something that we need to engage the Customs more. I witnessed the physical examination of a cargo yesterday and I wonder how much it would take to inspect the lots of cargoes piling around.”

The Minister also complained about the high number of cargoes uncleared longstanding cargoes at the port.

“I understand that about 6,000 cargoes are lying there at the ports not cleared. There must be an understanding as to when the cargo should be declared abandoned and use due process to sell them off.

“Some of the cargoes we were told have been there since 2011. What is the use of occupying that space? There is no economic advantage for keeping overtime cargoes for that long. We need to engage Customs to see the best way to evacuate them,” he said.

Oyetola warned that the present government will not tolerate corruption at the nation’s seaports.

“I have gone round to look at the state of our ports, and it is very discouraging. I am not blaming anybody because the ports are old. I would want us to replicate what I saw today at Lekki deep seaport in other places. My concept of port development is more of Public-Private Partnership (PPP), so it is important for us to start thinking about that. The government does not need to own the port hundred per cent. The government would still derive revenue when you look at port efficiency,” he said.

In his welcome address, the Executive Secretary of Nigerian Shippers’ Council, Emmanuel Jime, expressed delight that the Minister has already shown immense commitment to transforming the economic fortunes of the nation via the maritime sector.

He however highlighted issues requiring government attention which include a proposed amendment of NSC Act to legalise its role as port economic regulator; actualisation of a proposed one per cent freight stabilisation fee on import and export; implementation of the cargo tracking note and establishment of a national fleet.
https://shipsandports.com.ng/oyetola-condemns-physical-examination-of-cargoes-by-customs/amp/

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by FreeStuffsNG: 5:36pm On Sep 07, 2023
He however highlighted issues requiring government attention which include a proposed amendment of NSC Act to legalise its role as port economic regulator; actualisation of a proposed one per cent freight stabilisation fee on import and export; implementation of the cargo tracking note and establishment of a national fleet.

In case you are wondering why the brilliant, hardworking and patriotic HE Oyetola was made to be the Pioneer Minister of the new Ministry of Blue Economy, above is just a part of the reason. He is a very clear-headed and focused Leader. He will deliver and exceed expectations. Only Quality People are around President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

107 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Ozommadu: 5:37pm On Sep 07, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Oyetola warned that the present government will not tolerate corruption at the nation’s seaports.

FreeStuffsNG AKA mannabbq.grills has taken over propaganda on nairaland for Ebola government.

After defending darling daddy buhari for 8 wasted years

51 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Wealthoptulent(m): 6:43pm On Sep 07, 2023
Okies.. work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Epistasis(m): 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
Oyetola is smart, he is ever ready to challenge the status quo.

21 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by C2Ok: 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
If no be say professionalism no Dey Customs, what’s wrong with that method of inspection?
I’ve watched how LAX airport scrutinize luggages irrespective of their sensitivity or worth.

2 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Mikeufo929: 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
Ok noted
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by GeneralPula: 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
“Some of the cargoes we were told have been there since 2011. What is the use of occupying that space? There is no economic advantage for keeping overtime cargoes for that long. We need to engage Customs to see the best way to evacuate them,” he said.

Wetin go make customs hold cargoes since 2011?

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Marvyx(m): 6:44pm On Sep 07, 2023
We don't look at Initial gra gra.. Time will reveal and tell.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by IbrahimSkiba(f): 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2023
tongue
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by oluwaseunamos33(m): 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2023
Weldon o. Iron condem

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Racoon(m): 6:47pm On Sep 07, 2023
Why holding someone's cargo for all these years? Meanwhile the cost of demurrage have accumulating but who have collecting it? Policy somersault everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by seunmsg(m): 6:47pm On Sep 07, 2023
But I think they use cargo scanners at our ports.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Muhammad234: 6:48pm On Sep 07, 2023
grin
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by datola: 6:49pm On Sep 07, 2023
Yes, the delay in clearing cargos is very very bad for the economy but not doing physical examination needs to be looked at critically so that enemies will not use that to bring in all manners of dangerous drugs and weapons.

5 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Dbestbrest: 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2023
I am happy with the qualities that are in people Jagaban chosen to man our various ministries. I love the way they hit the ground running immediately they were sworn in. This shows that our economy will soon pick up that will lower the unemployment rate created by past governments. Our country, Nigeria, shall be great again

10 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by inoki247: 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2023
Cargos since 2011 shey dem no see am clear ni or what....

1 Like

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by mrvitalis(m): 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2023
For easy drug movement of someone's oga

I won't mention T

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by Mayorwer: 6:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
Coming from the most useless governor osun state has ever produced...No tangible project he can point to .... foolish man

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by eldoradoxx: 6:52pm On Sep 07, 2023
They prefer physical examination and will not hesitate to destroy any scanner installed to scan. The physical examination of cargos makes for easy pilfering.

15 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by olakan22: 6:55pm On Sep 07, 2023
They have started o, talking like intelligentsia...
Talk is cheap. We are looking out for prompt and good results

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by meum: 6:56pm On Sep 07, 2023
Let me borrow a famous line: There is no provision for the electronic inspection of cargoes in the Act😂
Both methods(physical and electronic) can be used
😂😂

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by MyExpression(m): 6:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
Finally someone is making attempt to reduce port delays.

Kudos.

The policy with be fine tuned over time
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by josielewa(m): 6:57pm On Sep 07, 2023
so that jagaban can import his white powder without checks
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by atobs4real(m): 7:00pm On Sep 07, 2023
Very correct sir.
Since 2011 those cargoes have been their for crying out loud. Why?

2 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by OgunleyeA1: 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
ok
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by atobs4real(m): 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
Very correct sir.
Wasting space for other goods and short changing the economy
Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by 001Lagos: 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

In case you are wondering why the brilliant, hardworking and patriotic HE Oyetola was made to be the Pioneer Minister of the new Ministry of Blue Economy, above is just a part of the reason. He is a very clear-headed and focused Leader. He will deliver and exceed expectations. Only Quality People are around President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
Brilliant and his people rejected him in Osun as governor

Brilliant and Osun became poorer under his clueless watch

Keep praising failure

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by NaijaCrusader: 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
Just like most things in this country bad policies have been killing our ports. Countries like Singapore have their ports as one of their biggest grossing resources but here high tariffs and bad policies are rendering ours useless. Many Nigerians now prefer to go to Cotonu to do thier imports there. Bad leadership is a disease

3 Likes

Re: Oyetola Condemns Physical Examination Of Cargoes By Customs by atobs4real(m): 7:02pm On Sep 07, 2023
Very correct sir.
Wasting space for other goods and short changing the economy.
My Able Minister, keep doing the good work Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tony Nwulu Launches Not Too Young To Run Bill Campaign At United Nation Assembly / Senator Ndume Spotted Controlling Traffic In Abuja: Video / Aminu Bello Masari Wins Katsina Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.