Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold (12386 Views)

Prophetess Wields Gun While Praying In Tongues In Church (Video) / 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by incogni2o: 11:07am On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:
Any speaker in tongue that‘s not the Holy Spirit that‘s leading Him or her is merely blasting nonesense. No apology.

Any tongue that does not have an interpreter is a mere cacophonous Noise. Again, No apology.
Ok, Check this out;- what really is
“bababababababa-yayayayayaya-mamamamama RUBISH.
Which tribe on the Earth speaks like that if I may ask?

Have you been to all tribes or languages.

bababababababa Baba Dad
yayayayayaya Yes
mamamamama Mama Mum

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by azammi(m): 11:13am On Sep 10, 2023
daygee12:

He is not funny he is tell u the truth
there is no truth in what he wrote its complete false.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Porksupplyib: 11:19am On Sep 10, 2023
vicardino:
Problem with people like you is you don't pay attention even when you read the Bible. Many Christians as basic as it is still don't know what happened to them the day they gave their lives to Christ and the basics to know about Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. When Apsotle Paul was addressing a whole church in 1 corinthians 4:18 when he said I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all and in the next verse he said that he'd rather speak 5 intelligible words in
CHURCH to instruct others than speak 10,000 words in tongues. This shows that Apostle Paul preferred speaking intelligible words in Church to instruct others yet he said he speaks in tongue more than a whole church put together. So, if he doesn't speak in tongues in Church really, where then and how did he speak in tongues more than a whole church? It's simple, he speaks in tongue everywhere, on the road to preach, when he's making tents and all. That a Christian brother or sister speaks in tongues on the road isn't wrong at all. Read your Bible and pay attention

It is you that need to read your bible well and be calm.

First and foremost your quotation is wrong.
It is 1cor 14:18 and nor 4:18

Please endevour to read the entire chapter.
And you will have a real understanding of the topic and why this issue of abuse is important.

Let's look at what Paul said.
1cor 14;
thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

With this it is clear that blasting tongues in churches is indeed very wrong.

Speaking in tongues isn't to be done by fleshy or brain commutations like rapping. It is a genuine spirit led utterings.

The fact that Paul said he will wish that they all could speak in tongues does not mean speaking in tongues is what makes you a better Christian.
What we see in churches today is just an abberation.

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Justbeingreal(m): 11:26am On Sep 10, 2023
Beey:
1 Corinthians 2:14 A person who does not have the Spirit cannot understand matters of the Spirit. They are foolishness unto him. They are discerned through the Spirit.
Like I said up there one day we all are gonna get tired of deceiving ourselves.

Hypocrites..

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Sharpsharp00123: 11:30am On Sep 10, 2023
PHIPEX:
The abuse is a big turn off and nauseating. People open their mouth and utter gibberish and lie they are speaking in tongue. Isn't this part of sinning against the Holy spirit?

From every instance in the scripture, people spoke in tongue when they were overwhelmed by the Holy spirit. In our case, it's now a fashion and a pentecostal show off.
make e no shock u say d school even dey
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Danisaint112(m): 11:33am On Sep 10, 2023
Beey:
Which is non existent tongue? 😂. The Apostle Paul said that when we pray in tongues, our understanding is unfruitful. 1Corinthians 14:14-15. Whoever prays in tongues builds up himself, but whoever prophecies, builds up the church. So yes, actually praying in tongues is something even the person praying doesn’t understand, unless there is an interpreter of tongues.He says to pray in both the Spirit (tongues) and also in the understanding.

Yes. When you actually speak the language of others. And you actually think they are speaking the language of others.

This language they speak are meant to be heard by people around. Not people abroad. That you couldn't understand this shows you literally aren't aware and might be partaking in the sin.

As the bible described in

Acts 2:1-13

1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.

2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.

3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

6. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.

7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans?

8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language?

9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,

10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome

11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

Peter Addresses the Crowd
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
20 The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21 And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved.’
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by rickleye: 11:35am On Sep 10, 2023
Why don’t we have a disclaimer for such topics like the muslims do - Do you accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour etc.
It’s only fair !!!

Back to the topic - does a son stop becoming a son because he disobeys a parent ?
Does a zebra stop being a zebra because it has yellow stripes instead of white and black.
Does a cup stop being one because it is dirty ?

In any case - this topic will not achieve its intended purpose on this forum as there are polarizing views.
My 2 cents …Let everyone be guided as their spirit leads. If you believe in speaking passionately in tongues good for you . If you believe a different way good for you . I will not look down on a brother or sister for either choice

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Danisaint112(m): 11:36am On Sep 10, 2023
azammi:
lol u are funny seems u don't know anything about God.
Being ignorant and knowing about God are two different things. Most people are ignorant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Almunjid(m): 11:37am On Sep 10, 2023
Beey:
Why don’t you first tell your imams to stop disturbing people’s sleep with those noisy speakers? Clean your house 1st before cleaning your neighbor’s.
Good point, I didn't see that coming. grin
In Education Mosque, social sciences and other departmental Mosques in ABU Zaria they don't use loud speaker (outside the Mosque) to call and conduct prayers because it will disrupt the teaching learning activities.

Putting the prayers on speaker is not necessary in Islam cos those outside the Mosque can not follow the Iman, even if they do, their prayers won't be accepted. Many Muslims do it to show off how good they her in recitation of the Quran. Using loud speaker is good for Friday prayers cos of huge population.

Peace!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Naijanascam: 11:41am On Sep 10, 2023
Speaking in tongues is pure Scam ......
Just making fool of oneself when nobody is understanding whatever you are vomiting

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by logicalhumour: 11:42am On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:
Any speaker in tongue that‘s not the Holy Spirit that‘s leading Him or her is merely blasting nonesense. No apology.

Any tongue that does not have an interpreter is a mere cacophonous Noise. Again, No apology.

LOL. You're wrong. Tongues do NOT need interpreters because it is actually the language of those you're speaking to! Don't you read the Bible?

If the Holy Spirit sends you to a core northern state that only understand hausa, and you don't. The holy spirit can move you to start speaking hausa on getting there. That's the whole point. That's why I can beat my chest and tell you all the "Tongues" you hear in churches are fake and unnecessary. Period.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by shoboy9: 12:06pm On Sep 10, 2023
@OP, we are to submit to God and not the other way round. You have not even given valid reasons for not speaking in tongues. Do not forbid speaking in tongues (1Cor 14:9). It should not be done in disobedience to the Holy Spirit. It should be done in love, considering others (not in disobedience to the Holy Spirit though)
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by 43Ronin: 12:08pm On Sep 10, 2023
Beey:
Which is non existent tongue? 😂. The Apostle Paul said that when we pray in tongues, our understanding is unfruitful. 1Corinthians 14:14-15. Whoever prays in tongues builds up himself, but whoever prophecies, builds up the church. So yes, actually praying in tongues is something even the person praying doesn’t understand, unless there is an interpreter of tongues.He says to pray in both the Spirit (tongues) and also in the understanding.
this exactly what Paul says in ephesians. please make your own judgement from there..
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; [a]for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without [b]significance. 11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a [c]foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me. 12 Even so you, since you are [d]zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the [e]edification of the church that you seek to excel.
from this passage you can infer that "tongues" refer to speaking in various languages(not rubbish). Also even though you speak in tongues and people don't understand you, when you are done you should interprete the tongues to the church because the Holy spirit is not one of confusion. If you are wilfully speaking in tongues and you cannot interprete or anyone can you are sinning against the Holy ghost andnits unforgivable. Many of your pastors are yoked with the devil for riches and wealth and their covenant is to lead as many people to hades with them.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by StUriah(m): 12:09pm On Sep 10, 2023
Weathered:
I thought speaking in tongues is involuntary when someone is overwhelmed by the Holy Ghost.

It's not really a matter of choice. I see Pentecostals speaking in tongues in music, discussions and casual prayers.

Hello Christ Embassy.

Lol!

I went to that church's foundational school and they told me they will teach us how to speak in tongues. They gather us together and asked us to just be saying whatever that comes to our minds; that by pretence (or by faking it), it's going to become real.

And we all started chanting all sorts of jargons that have no meanings.

In my own case, I was repeatedly saying in a fast manner (not singing Saheed Osupa's song o): "kokoro alate toun tate ni, owu alate, toun tate ni."

At the end, they applauded us for embracing the gift of the holy spirit. What rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by lomprico(m): 12:10pm On Sep 10, 2023
Everything in Christianity has been bastardized. The holy spirit descended on the disciples and gave them the gift to speak, latin, Italian, Greek, hindi, Igbo, Yoruba, ijaw, benin, etc (a.k.a. tongues) so that they can spread the gospel to the gentiles who will not understand Aramaic language (the Jewish language). Any body blabing rubbish in the name of speaking in tongues is fooling himself/herself and any person gullible to believe that.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by 43Ronin: 12:13pm On Sep 10, 2023
logicalhumour:

LOL. You're wrong. Tongues do NOT need interpreters because it is actually the language of those you're speaking to! Don't you read the Bible?

If the Holy Spirit sends you to a core northern state that only understand hausa, and you don't. The holy spirit can move you to start speaking hausa on getting there. That's the whole point. That's why I can beat my chest and tell you all the "Tongues" you hear in churches are fake and unnecessary. Period.
Ephesians 14 v13: Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by vicardino(m): 12:17pm On Sep 10, 2023
Before you brandish your ignorance, shouldn't you first understand the context? You should have at least taken your time to see the content I was replying. Blasting in tongues in churches is wrong according to who? If a church is full of tongue talking believers, how then is it wrong to speak or pray in tongues? I hope you know as well that Romans 8 : 26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that [b]cannot be expressed in words[\b]. The pentecostal experience, where did it happen? At the upper room and that paints a picture of a church. In fact, the church was birthed that day. May the Lord give you understanding.
Porksupplyib:

It is you that need to read your bible well and be calm.

First and foremost your quotation is wrong.
It is 1cor 14:18 and nor 4:18

Please endevour to read the entire chapter.
And you will have a real understanding of the topic and why this issue of abuse is important.

Let's look at what Paul said.
1cor 14;
thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

With this it is clear that blasting tongues in churches is indeed very wrong.

Speaking in tongues isn't to be done by fleshy or brain commutations like rapping. It is a genuine spirit led utterings.

The fact that Paul said he will wish that they all could speak in tongues does not mean speaking in tongues is what makes you a better Christian.
What we see in churches today is just an abberation.

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by vicardino(m): 12:24pm On Sep 10, 2023
Attention seeker? Whatever that means to you. You wrote that you saw a brother speaking in tongues on the road and to you, he's abusing speaking in tongues and I showed you from the pages of the scripture that your submission is wrong. Apostle Paul was speaking in tongues everywhere, if you had seen him now, you'd have said he was abusing it. Are you going to understand that he that speaks in tongue is communicating with God? How's it your business if he does it on the road? Don't you commune with your own self on the road? Are you abusing communication when you do it on the road?
barinedan:

Mr attention seeker, it is obvious you don't understand the difference between abusing a thing and condemning it. Please grow up

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by BeigJawnson(m): 12:26pm On Sep 10, 2023
Chochovini:

There is this church named Guilding light Assembling. They teach people how to speak in tongue. I don't know if I am very right with this... You just nailed the nail on top
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by vicardino(m): 12:33pm On Sep 10, 2023
There's no pretence here, speaking in tongues or praying in tongues is communicating with God and the said brother who you claimed was abusing it wasn't creating a scene, he was probably doing his prayer walk or still communing with God and that's not an abuse of speaking in tongues. He wasn't addressing no earthly being, he wasn't talking to you. How is that an abuse? Must you be moved to speak in tongues by the SPIRIT? NOOOOO. To a Spirit filled believer, speaking in tongues is to him what speaking intelligible words is to a fleshy man. [quote author=barinedan post=125698599][/quote]
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by phemmyfour: 12:36pm On Sep 10, 2023
ebubeson:
We have several verses of the scriptures on speaking in tongues 1 Corinthians 14:2 is one on them.

Today, we have problem in various churches concerning speaking in tongues, and the issue of speaking in tongues have been abused by so many people.

What are the abuses of speaking in tongues.

(1) Speaking in tongues after committing sin. Someone may just come from prostitution, do adultery or fornication, and then may go into blasting in tongues when he or she goes to church.

(2) Speaking in tongues during repentance prayer. It is wrong to speak in tongues during prayer for repentance. If your pastor leads a prayer of repentance to the congregation, it is not right to speak in tongues, but to point out clearly the sins you may have committed, telling God to forgive you. This idea I got from someone.

(3) Telling the whole congregation to always pray in tongues. It is good. But there are times to pray in the Spirit and there are times to pray with understanding. If you tell the whole congregation to always pray in tongues, there may be pollutions if many members of the congregation are speaking in tongues with strange or familiar spirits. It is not everyone that speaks in tongues through the Holyspirit.

(4) Praying in tongues "recklessly" during quiet time or morning prayers. When you wake up early in the morning, you don't just blast in tongues for long without sober reflection, deep prayer of openness with God, intense study of the word of God, examination of one's self and attitude etc. This idea I got from someone.

Some of them even write it out....who does that?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by vicardino(m): 12:36pm On Sep 10, 2023
Teaching people how to speak isn't wrong, what is wrong is teaching people what to say.
BeigJawnson:

There is this church named Guilding light Assembling. They teach people how to speak in tongue. I don't know if I am very right with this... You just nailed the nail on top
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by BeigJawnson(m): 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2023
vicardino:
Teaching people how to speak isn't wrong, what is wrong is teaching people what to say.

Is it not the same thing? Teaching what to say is still the same with teaching people how to speak in tongues.

So it is right to have classes on how to speak in tongues?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by barinedan(m): 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2023
azammi:
You need to read your Bible well before u jump into matter because clearly u know nothing bout speaking in tongues .
Mr know all, continue deceiving yourself
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by vicardino(m): 12:53pm On Sep 10, 2023
Not the same, you can teach Christias how to speak which is a simple thing to do. Basically, you open their eyes to what being born again means, what transpires when a man gives his life to Christ, the complete package of salvation and finished works of Christ that is given to a new convert. A new Spirit is given to every believer at conversion and the Spirit is the Holy Spirit residing in you. This Spirit is a person that speaks, has emotions, he knows more than you and even helps you to pray correctly. How to then speak in his language? Spend time with him in fellowship, he's in you together with his language. Nothing is coming from outside or from heaven, he's inside of you. He gives you utterance but you have to open your mouth and speak. He won't force you to speak, he's not a bully. He supplies what to say but you do the saying. This understanding makes it easy for believers to speak in tongues. Have I taught anyone what to say here? NO.
BeigJawnson:

Is it not the same thing? Teaching what to say is still the same with teaching people how to speak in tongues.

So it is right to have classes on how to speak in tongues?
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by jimmyvic(m): 12:55pm On Sep 10, 2023
Christ Embassy Youths why them dey tackle una indirectly grin grin ??
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by IAMBOSS1990: 12:56pm On Sep 10, 2023
daygee12:
Even Pastor Eze of streaming of Joy will be claiming to be speaking in Tongues and will still remember to tell u click share button in order to get more people to that he can cash out

Do not criticise bro, leave him to his master. If you don't believe in him, let him be.

Rom.14.4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. (NKJV)
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by maureensylvia(f): 12:56pm On Sep 10, 2023
daygee12:
Even Pastor Eze of streaming of Joy will be claiming to be speaking in Tongues and will still remember to tell u click share button in order to get more people to that he can cash out

You're funny lol
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by maureensylvia(f): 1:00pm On Sep 10, 2023
Naijanascam:
Speaking in tongues is pure Scam ......
Just making fool of oneself when nobody is understanding whatever you are vomiting

It's not a scam sir
I actually have a problem with it when one just start speaking in tongues like that

Speaking in tongues is influenced by the holy spirit that you wouldn't know where you are.
The person is unaware of his environment

I only have a concern where people will start speaking in tongues immediately without prayer

1 Like

Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by STEWpid(f): 1:01pm On Sep 10, 2023
Yankiss:
I don't understand by it's not right to speak in tongues..... Methinks speaking in tongues is spontaneous, led by the Holy Spirit and that the speaker is even not aware of the language or what is being said. The context here presupposes that Speaking in togues is codedly contrived. The speaker is aware of what he was doing and probably speaking gibberish. Anywhere this is the case, it's arrant nonsense. Happy sunday everyone.

You are caught in the middle

The to carcass beliefs are the strongest weapon that's holding us back from realizing are potentials as a NATION.

Chai..
Re: The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold by Mosba: 1:06pm On Sep 10, 2023
Oscorababa Patasgorispapa Metascalla, and you said Amen! to that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Atheist, What Would You Consider Evidence Of God's Existence? / Can I Refuse The Call Of God? / Speech By King Leopold Ii Of Belgium Delivered In 1883

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.