Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,917 members, 7,835,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? (25320 Views)

Am I Being Manipulated? Is Her Anger Justified? / I Am Being Unreasonable With My Wife??? / Car Issue: Am I Being Fair To My Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Prenonjebose: 11:08am On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:
Let’s agree this is my story….

Pardon my long write up but I needed to get a perspective from a fresh eye/mind. I’m married for 3 years now with 2infants.

Am I overthinking or does my wife have other plans?

My dad is an established accountant with over 3 decades of experience at the highest level of his occupation in 2 multinationals. He is now retired and consults. Presently, he lives a day at a times cos he barely has plans for his firm (he is over 70 and doesn’t have anybody he’s training his my mom).

I have a good career earning almost a million monthly with side gigs that keeps me liquid (meeting all my family’s basic needs). Monthly upkeep of 200k mainly for feeding while I pay utilities and still bring out cash (no fixed amount) from time to time. Presently am setting up a firm for contracting and consultancy.

My wife is a caterer (she loves cooking and baking) whom I have supported over the years. She has gotten much better and I have invested in her business. Presently she has all the basic requirements for her work and she works from home. We live in a 4 bed and converted one to her studio (fully furnished - AC tables shelves etc).

Over the years I have encouraged her to focus on entrepreneurship. This will give her total control of her time. This way the kids get her attention while she handles business which I hope to one day retire into. I make sure she doesn’t contribute her personal funds to the home as I advise her to save for rain days. I have encouraged her to work closely with my dad to earn experience as they share same profession hopefully take over the firm in time while I groom mine for which she is the major shareholder (I’m not even a shareholder).

Overall, do not look for a 9-5 like me, let’s grow a business.

However, she applies for jobs here and there. Just this morning she woke up as early as 4:30am applying for a customer service position and had to wake me up to correct her cover note.

At this point I feel like giving up on her. I feel she just wants to have a paying Job for whatever reason. But I know know the downsides; no time for the kids, 40-80% of income goes on expenses, work stress, regrets - now you can’t quit because you have to prove you can do it.

Am I being unreasonable telling her not to work and focus on developing her business skills?

NB: I have never discouraged her in her business rather encouraged/ advised and funded.

Modified: for those insisting I let her be, how do we plan our future if we share separate visions?? When has working ever made anyone rich??

If she gets an IOC opportunity I’ll definitely support tho, but these are not the toes she’s applying for 100k -300k
Probably she doesn't enjoy the business of cooking and baking as a full time job. But, I get your concern, and it's not wrong. The well being of children is very important. Parents can not afford to sacrifice the emotional stability or growth of their children on the altar of money or personal desires.Find out if there is any other business she would rather do than what she is into now. If there is, then support such.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 11:12am On Sep 17, 2023
SerLaery:

The OP is in a difficult position regarding his family. He is seeking for advice not providing assistance of any kind.

Please don't blame her. She's sensitive enough to see great potential. Let her utilize it. Who no like better things
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemmyfour: 11:14am On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

Pardon my long write up but I needed to get a perspective from a fresh eye/mind. I’m married for 3 years now with 2infants.

My dad is an established accountant with over 3 decades of experience at the highest level of his occupation in 2 multinationals. He is now retired and consults. Presently, he lives a day at a times cos he barely has plans for his firm (he is over 70 and doesn’t have anybody he’s training his my mom).

I have a good career earning almost a million monthly with side gigs that keeps me liquid (meeting all my family’s basic needs). Monthly upkeep of 200k mainly for feeding while I pay utilities and still bring out cash (no fixed amount) from time to time. Presently am setting up a firm for contracting and consultancy.

My wife is a caterer (she loves cooking and baking) whom I have supported over the years. She has gotten much better and I have invested in her business. Presently she has all the basic requirements for her work and she works from home. We live in a 4 bed and converted one to her studio (fully furnished - AC tables shelves etc).

Over the years I have encouraged her to focus on entrepreneurship. This will give her total control of her time. This way the kids get her attention while she handles business which I hope to one day retire into. I make sure she doesn’t contribute her personal funds to the home as I advise her to save for rain days. I have encouraged her to work closely with my dad to earn experience as they share same profession hopefully take over the firm in time while I groom mine for which she is the major shareholder (I’m not even a shareholder).

However, she applies for jobs here and there. Just this morning she woke up as early as 4:30am applying for a customer service position and had to wake me up to correct her cover note.

At this point I feel like giving up on her. I feel she just wants to have a paying Job for whatever reason. But I know know the downsides; no time for the kids, 40-80% of income goes on expenses, work stress, regrets - now you can’t quit because you have to prove you can do it.

Am I being unreasonable telling her not to work and focus on developing her business skills?

NB: I have never discouraged her in her business rather encouraged/ advised and funded.

Modified: for those insisting I let her be, how do we plan our future if we share separate visions?? When has working ever made anyone rich??

If she gets an IOC opportunity I’ll definitely support tho, but these are not the toes she’s applying for 100k -300k
Let her be, you can't force a career woman to be a business woman over night. Let her work under supervision so that eventually if she becomes a boss, she would have gained the needed experience to lead others.

Passion changes with time, support her dreams now, she ll return to support you later.

Working in your field isn't about getting rich, it's about fulfilment knowing you are doing what you enjoy
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by albert2512: 11:15am On Sep 17, 2023
Guy
EkelediliBuhari:

You are so on point. I am having similar experience with my wife.

I think you to keep talking to her calmly. My wife is getting to understand overtime.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Cutehector(m): 11:15am On Sep 17, 2023
Jennyclay:
What advice do you need or what should we do for you? because you haven’t said anything undecided

You’re just showing yourself. It’s not as if you’re a millionaire undecided
it's because you are broke that's why you feel intimidated by his earnings.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by SerLaery(m): 11:19am On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

Please don't blame her. She's sensitive enough to see great potential. Let her utilize it. Who no like better things

I'm not blaming her, sir. I only stated the obvious. What could make the OP comes to a public forum to air a sensitive issue like this. It sure bothers him that much.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by SIMPonPatrol(m): 11:20am On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

Kindly avoid anything that has to do with Nigerian female. They are driven by emotions. Nothing on the upstairs. You can see from the way they respond to you clear write up. Forgetting that without clear purpose, compromising and cooperation in marriage failure abund. They think marriage is one way traffic. Do things the way that pleases you without considering other partners. That's the reason behind many failed marriages this days.

I hope you know you're an idiot

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 11:23am On Sep 17, 2023
phemmyfour:
Let her be, you can't force a career woman to be a business woman over night. Let her work under supervision so that eventually if she becomes a boss, she would have gained the needed experience to lead others.

Passion changes with time, support her dreams now, she ll return to support you later.

Working in your field isn't about getting rich, it's about fulfilment knowing you are doing what you enjoy

But can take responsibility of her failure and provide for her as husband. Who are this kids.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by pongwa(m): 11:24am On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

you have to allow her follow her dreams. Why don't you stay home and take care of the kids instead since they are also yours and you care about them.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 11:24am On Sep 17, 2023
SIMPonPatrol:

I hope you know you're an idiot

You don't deserve my mention, I don't argue with female
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by EkelediliBuhari: 11:27am On Sep 17, 2023
Obierika:

Have you considered the possibility that some of those who give her catering contracts may be pestering her for sex?

This happens more than people care to admit so I suggest you ask her directly

Imagine this demand coming from a boss you cannot resist… quit or let’s have it… this is far from it and I beg to differ as this can happen in any line of business/work

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemmyfour: 11:28am On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

But can take responsibility of her failure and provide for her as husband. Who are this kids.
You are ignorant of so many things
Ki lọmọde ẹ mọ

You get the best from your woman when you support her in achieving her dreams. She ll eventually come around to support the business but if you forced her against her wish and passion, I will will be here to read your thread on your business crumble via frustration from your wife.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by SerLaery(m): 11:29am On Sep 17, 2023
pongwa:
you have to allow her follow her dreams. Why don't you stay home and take care of the kids instead since they are also yours and you care about them.

Are you being serious, sir? Head of the family with good source of income to stay at home and take care of the kids?

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by DrLivzy(m): 11:34am On Sep 17, 2023
This is enough. Take this advice and watch as things go.

easzypeaszy:
Please allow her to work.. Humans are never satisfied until dey hv to pay fr it one way or the other.. Especially married women.
Let her get her job n by time she see shege, insults, stress, restlessness, pressure from Customer service job ehhn na she go run comot by den don't gv her any support immediately until her head totally format fr good.
Dis may sound like waste of time like 1yr but dis current one u are dragging can tk 5yrs to 10yrs to settle n na u go still chop blame

Women wahala too much as dey are Born or Naturally Brutal but men are pushed to it.

My advise as a Married Man.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 11:34am On Sep 17, 2023
phemmyfour:
You are ignorant of so many things
Ki lọmọde ẹ mọ

You get the best from your woman when you support her in achieving her dreams. She ll eventually come around to support the business but if you forced her against her wish and passion, I will will be here to read your thread on your business crumble via frustration from your wife.

When you get married. You will understand. Enjoy yourself . Go and read the write up again,you will understand the true meaning of support. Not selfish support that does not take the kids interest at heart. If the man is not contributing anything. I believe you will complain. Don't be emotional in thinking please. God created male and female for a purpose. The chaos we are facing is due to disorderliness in the initial purpose of our existence.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by talk2hb1(m): 11:36am On Sep 17, 2023
Mindlog:

And when they get to court, he would tell the judge that the end of the marriage was because she picked up a job against his wish and the court should grant him custody of their children.....las, las e go become bachelor again and the court mandating him to be regularly paying their children' school fees and sending their monthly upkeep money to the ex-wife who will later have another uncle who would be visiting her at home, taking care of her needs. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
If he can present his case very well, he can claim custody of the children
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemmyfour: 11:37am On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

When you get married. You will understand. Enjoy yourself
When I get married? Kids everywhere
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by EkelediliBuhari: 11:39am On Sep 17, 2023
EndRape2:
She might not like staying at home, neigbours hardly respect a woman at home, why not open her business outside your home, a mini fast food and bakery? Where she has to wake up and go to, not staying doors?

Also why do you want her to drop her own vision for yours? I think accepting her own vision, and helping her to buikd it, will bring peace in your home, some women can not be entrepreneurs, they prefer office work

You do not have problem in your marriage, just do not let foolish people advice you otherwise.

Open her bakery office outside the house
Or. Let her start the job.

Thank you for your impute

Getting a shop is no issue as we already have a timetable for that. Probably she feels controlled and needs some air, this I have deduced from the comments so far.

easzypeaszy:
Please allow her to work.. Humans are never satisfied until dey hv to pay fr it one way or the other.. Especially married women.
Let her get her job n by time she see shege, insults, stress, restlessness, pressure from Customer service job ehhn na she go run comot by den don't gv her any support immediately until her head totally format fr good.
Dis may sound like waste of time like 1yr but dis current one u are dragging can tk 5yrs to 10yrs to settle n na u go still chop blame

Women wahala too much as dey are Born or Naturally Brutal but men are pushed to it.

My advise as a Married Man.

Time… they say it waits for no man… but true thanks for your impute too
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by talented321: 11:41am On Sep 17, 2023
God bless u
dacool1:
Don't mind all these kids here on nairaland. Don't give up on your ideas. I just think she's having a wrong mindset thinking it's a control mechanism or she lacks indepth understanding of the subject matter or she's selfish. Forget all these independent talks from people here.

How is she independent when she will be controlled by a coy, she prefers to work for other people's organization than her family. Most women have this problem.

If she doesn't understand the pros and cons of her decisions, try educating her but if you sense she's putting herself ahead of the family, you will have to appeal for her selfish nature by making her see from how it benefits her more.

It's most likely she wants to have some level of freedom to move around without getting queried. If this is the issue, just plan your retirement without her in the picture for now. When she's about 50years old she'll come around.

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by LibraKing: 11:42am On Sep 17, 2023
Take this advice from me:

You are the pillar of the house ..yes!, if your woman wants to add more value to her life thinking doing that is getting a job for her self , don’t stress or blur her vision on that. Fact is …she doesn’t see big future in her baking life, besides people own bakery home as side gig and still work . My point is , seat with your wife and see if she wish to close down the baking ideas if she eventually picks up a job….if yes !, then start making plans to find someone that can run the baking business on behalf of your family at large. I still think your wife will fall back to it after testing waters . What is discouraging her right now is the slow progress of the bakery section .

In summary , don’t see your wife like she is disobeying your wish, naturally you have to respect her vision but only give her ideas . Let her test waters , but don’t let the bakery die off . About your fathers firm….are you the only child of your parents ?

About your kids, you can always have nanny, relatives you can be training or paying to help in looking after your kids. But don’t make your idea of stopping her from picking a job is because you want her to be home taking care of kids solely . Career women will revolt on thirst always

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by prophetfire: 11:42am On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

Thanks for your impute.

She has passion for catering, nothing she loves more, she refused to make cloths after learning and buying equipment.

The only problem in working is the rat race never ends… and she won’t want to be a disappointment by quitting after sometime. She will want to prove that she can do it knowing who she is…

For making money, she makes money yes… am also 100% confident she can make x5 her present profit margins in the near future if she keeps her present work rate.
Too bad your wife is the type that's never satisfied with what she's doing.
A jack of all trades and master of none. Just like to go into things for fantasy sake.
She's not being reasonable and realistic. Petty explorer. Such persons battle with confusion and instability and at the end of the day,, don't reach their full potential.
An accountant, Learnt to make dresses and drops it, is doing a good catering outfit, wants to drop it, doing part-time in a family accounting firm, wants to drop all these to go do low-paying customer service job.
Fantasy pursuer she is.
Let her be. Let her go and waste some time there too. At the end of the day, she would come back to square one. Problem with such people is they waste time jumping from one thing to another and never reach any good height in what they later settle to do.
Some even go into retirement without having settled their lives.
You have to manage and plan the future of the family alone because she's not with you. That would be draining and disappointing but you have to try.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by ashjay001(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

Allow her biko. When she faces the stress for a month or 2 for minimal pay, she go get brain reset.
By the time she removes tp and other expenses, dem no dey tell person.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2023
phemmyfour:
When I get married? Kids everywhere

If you are married. Don't compare your marriage with another, and always give a realistic advice devoid of emotion please. Things work when we are selfless in marriage
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Mindlog: 11:47am On Sep 17, 2023
SmartyPants:

Whether or not they are together will he not foot the fees and expenses of his kids? That is a constant and has no bearing on the suggestion made by the person you quoted.

How and where her needs are met will not be any concern of his either.

And you have not even seen on Nigeria's justice court tv shown on Youtube, were fathers who refused to provide for their children because they don't have custody of them were dragged to the court? Or have you ever spent some time in welfare offices to observe the back and forth?
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Camberlo(m): 11:49am On Sep 17, 2023
The fear of uncertainty makes happy women looking for pay-job.

You may wake up tomorrow and begin to pay attention to side-chicks
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemmyfour: 11:49am On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

If you are married. Don't compare your marriage with another, and always give a realistic advice devoid of emotion please. Things work when we are selfless in marriage
Mister , give your advice and move on. What gives you the impression that the experience in your marriage will work for the OP.

Don't force it, except you are misogynist
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by soccerlite: 11:49am On Sep 17, 2023
Why's she not looking for govt job?

She learnt sewing, invested in machine and didn't practice

Lolzzzzz 🤣

How can someone not like a business that's thriving and financial strong

Naivety at play
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by WantsandMore: 11:50am On Sep 17, 2023
Did you at any point in time mention any of this during courtship, is she changing her plans , why? See a therapist, rich people's problem requires rich people's solution and seeing a therapist is one of them, unearth why and adjust accordingly. But I'll advise you see female therapist,male therapist have a way of exploiting their clients, Saw it on a Ted Lasso show by the way. Whatever you unearth from that exercise should guide you, your plans maybe perfect but those aren't your wife's plans. It maybe time to bring in a nanny.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by SmartyPants(m): 11:50am On Sep 17, 2023
Mindlog:

And you have not even seen on Nigeria's justice court tv shown on Youtube, were fathers who refused to provide for their children because they don't have custody of them were dragged to the court? Or have you ever spent some time in welfare offices to observe the back and forth?

Only a mad man would refuse to pay his kid's fees simply because he does not have custody. I am assuming he has his sense intact.

In any case, that does not negate the fact that taking care of his kids is still a constant - whether he likes it or not. So logically, what he should consider is whether moving on from this woman would improve the variable areas of his life.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by LaSenior: 11:51am On Sep 17, 2023
Monthly feeding of 200k na elephant una dey Chop for that house

Family of 2 including Dad and mum spending 200k for Monthly feeding that means when if una reach five na 2million per month

The money too much abeg...

Allow her to work if that's what she wants believe me she will quit all by herself one-day and when she's working you have to suggest the option of getting a grown house help that will help the kids and make sure the house help is so curvy and tempting then watch your wife quit the job herself
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Acidosis(m): 11:51am On Sep 17, 2023
Don't you have a personal idea that is worth investing in?
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 11:51am On Sep 17, 2023
Mindlog:

You are living in the past. Court is not a jungles. They deal with fact not emotions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: When Your Parents Compare You To Your Successful Mates, Do This... / My Uncle Wife Is Insensitive / Majiyagbe-Street In Lagos, Husbands Welcome Wives's Lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.