Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? (25322 Views)

Am I Being Manipulated? Is Her Anger Justified? / I Am Being Unreasonable With My Wife??? / Car Issue: Am I Being Fair To My Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Mypeople2(m): 11:51am On Sep 17, 2023
Sit your wife down and discuss with her.Ask her what does she really want ?

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Mindlog: 11:55am On Sep 17, 2023
SmartyPants:

Only a mad man would refuse to pay his kid's fees simply because he does not have custody. I am assuming he has his sense intact.

And such mad men plenty around us.

Some were bold enough to say before the cameras that they have moved on with another woman and can't combine responsibilities of their new homes with their children from previous marriage and the judge had severally asked them why go start a new family when children from the previous marriage can not be taken care of?

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by gidjah(m): 11:56am On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:
Let’s agree this is my story….

Pardon my long write up but I needed to get a perspective from a fresh eye/mind. I’m married for 3 years now with 2infants.

Am I overthinking or does my wife have other plans?

My dad is an established accountant with over 3 decades of experience at the highest level of his occupation in 2 multinationals. He is now retired and consults. Presently, he lives a day at a times cos he barely has plans for his firm (he is over 70 and doesn’t have anybody he’s training his my mom).

I have a good career earning almost a million monthly with side gigs that keeps me liquid (meeting all my family’s basic needs). Monthly upkeep of 200k mainly for feeding while I pay utilities and still bring out cash (no fixed amount) from time to time. Presently am setting up a firm for contracting and consultancy.

My wife is a caterer (she loves cooking and baking) whom I have supported over the years. She has gotten much better and I have invested in her business. Presently she has all the basic requirements for her work and she works from home. We live in a 4 bed and converted one to her studio (fully furnished - AC tables shelves etc).

You have tried boss, only few marrieds would get your path and pity your missery.managing women at home ...why is your wife confused sef ?she has successfully landed two hand work(abi profession)yet keep a ampering white collar,that is insatiation !I don't wanna conclude you starving her her of funds ?looks like her relatives are also pushing her to go carrer ,else she has issues with the competition in the town.Those two profession requires hard work, tota focus and patience ...your wifey is truely RUNNING AWAY from such responsibility looking for simpler English speaking and paying jobs...that's her major trouble.Pls make plans for your kids ,just so bad that they are too young to be left in d hands of strangers now ,your wife sef mean oga , thisuna BIG MEN MARRIAGE OR FAMILY,una wahalla too much .Marriage is 3 yrs and kids are two ,but madam is already running into white collar??who does she expect to be responsible for the home ? I hope she isn't jealous ?.Then you sef come down , it doesn't revolve around you, let her breathe small sir,come around her plans and help her achieve them(but she can't go white collar now )her kids are quite young , strangers would complicate your home o ! Your wife too wants to prove she can make it by going out there ,that means you are a bit domineering and assertive at home.you are letting her know you can meet up all the bills ,she is listening and seeing her class mates hoping in and out of colorful offices ,what do you think she's gonna do? She will opt-out of that "local street job "so to look classy in match with her mates.please thread softly and desire wisdom over this sir.THIS BREAKS HOME ,... IT DOES .

However, she applies for jobs here and there. Just this morning she woke up as early as 4:30am applying for a customer service position and had to wake me up to correct her cover note.

At this point I feel like giving up on her. I feel she just wants to have a paying Job for whatever reason. But I know know the downsides; no time for the kids, 40-80% of income goes on expenses, work stress, regrets - now you can’t quit because you have to prove you can do it.

Am I being unreasonable telling her not to work and focus on developing her business skills?

NB: I have never discouraged her in her business .

Modified: for those insisting I let her be, how do we plan our future if we share separate visions?? When has working ever made anyone rich??

If she gets an IOC opportunity I’ll definitely support tho, but these are not the toes she’s applying for 100k -300k
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Mindlog: 11:59am On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

You are living in the past. Court is not a jungles. They deal with fact not emotions

I guess you are the one doing so.

Emotions is insisting on not catering for your children because they are under the custody of your Ex, who you know hate.

Fact is that you are their father irrespective of them being with their mother, you MUST provide for them while living with their mother.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 12:00pm On Sep 17, 2023
prophetfire:
Too bad your wife is the type that's never satisfied with what she's doing.
A jack of all trades and master of none. Just like to go into things for fantasy sake.
She's not being reasonable and realistic. Petty explorer. Such persons battle with confusion and instability and at the end of the day,, don't reach their full potential.
An accountant, Learnt to make dresses and drops it, is doing a good catering outfit, wants to drop it, doing part-time in a family accounting firm, wants to drop all these to go do low-paying customer service job.
Fantasy pursuer she is.
Let her be. Let her go and waste some time there too. At the end of the day, she would come back to square one. Problem with such people is they waste time jumping from one thing to another and never reach any good height in what they later settle to do.
Some even go into retirement without having settled their lives.
You have to manage and plan the future of the family alone because she's not with you. That would be draining and disappointing but you have to try.

You are intelligent sir. I'm a manager in my line of duty. I know what is take to work for others. My wife complain alot before I establish her. Let her learn the hard way. Withraw every financial support from her except feeding and children upkeep. Let her face the real world

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by flexyrule(m): 12:08pm On Sep 17, 2023
JASONjnr:

But how do people make millions monthly in this Nigeria?😳😳
LOL

OP doesn't earn close to 1m per month.

It's all packaging.

Like someone said, he should had gone straight to the point.

No need for all those my daddy this, my daddy that.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by gerrisson(m): 12:18pm On Sep 17, 2023
You are not being selfish. When both parents work full time, the home suffer. The kids suffer more. They don't get attention and may grow up into what you can't recognise.
I am married too. When I married my wife, she was not working. I encouraged her to start her business, that I will fund and encourage her, but she preferred paid employment. She eventually got a work, but I am glad it's an 8-2:00pm, no weekends job. And she gets several weeks off at a time. So she has time for the home and kids still.
You can't completely stop your wife to do what she wants, you can only reason with her.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by tjcoded: 12:23pm On Sep 17, 2023
henidord3:
It's well oh chia😞
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by pongwa(m): 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
SerLaery:

Are you being serious, sir? Head of the family with good source of income to stay at home and take care of the kids?
don't let some people see this. That said, I believe you have married a career lady and its gonna be hard to convince her. Moreover, I also want you to know that your case is not a peculiar one. It just calls for more deliberations, so I suggest you sit her down and devise plans on taking care of the kids. Whatever arrangements or strategy to be employed should be agreed upon. Lastly if your wife has feminist tendencies, please don't portray yourself as head of the house o.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by EkelediliBuhari: 12:35pm On Sep 17, 2023
flexyrule:
LOL

OP doesn't earn close to 1m per month.

It's all packaging.

Like someone said, he should had gone straight to the point.

No need for all those my daddy this, my daddy that.

Am a senior banking officer in the O&G midstream unit.. you can ask around the pay for that grade level in a T1.

This post was not meant to impress anyone. It was clearly for your insight and to provide better context but alas you don’t seem to comprehend the realities around the facts/data in write up hence your retort.

Thanks anyway for your feedback.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by 12345baba(m): 12:42pm On Sep 17, 2023
Allow her abeg, na she go resign by herself comeback
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Father4all: 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2023
Something doesn't add up
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Olajide200(m): 12:46pm On Sep 17, 2023
So people still dey earn 1mil monthly for this country? Just cut soap for me first, we’ll talk about this issue later. Its a minor thing.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Curiouscity(m): 1:00pm On Sep 17, 2023
Shelter100:
Support your wife if you want a happy home. Make provisions for the kids and let your wife chase her dream. I won't want you to take the blame that you stole your wife's dream.

I always laugh when I read the bold statement. Lol.

This is what marriage has turned into, especially for we the blacks. The man pays all the bills, provides and protects. He will have to make provision for the kid's care. Meaning, he will pay for a nanny to care for the kids. The nanny will likely turn to a cook or he hires a chef. All these so madam can work and keep her money to herself. I have seen a family where the man buys petrol or pay transport for the wife to and from work, yet he does not know where her salary goes. So much for building a family.

* Happy wife, happy marriage is a big lie. You can't make a modern woman happy, except you become a slave to her.

* I think the meaning of marriage and family has changed.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by FuckTheMod: 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

Pardon my long write up but I needed to get a perspective from a fresh eye/mind. I’m married for 3 years now with 2infants.

My dad is an established accountant with over 3 decades of experience at the highest level of his occupation in 2 multinationals. He is now retired and consults. Presently, he lives a day at a times cos he barely has plans for his firm (he is over 70 and doesn’t have anybody he’s training his my mom).

I have a good career earning almost a million monthly with side gigs that keeps me liquid (meeting all my family’s basic needs). Monthly upkeep of 200k mainly for feeding while I pay utilities and still bring out cash (no fixed amount) from time to time. Presently am setting up a firm for contracting and consultancy.

My wife is a caterer (she loves cooking and baking) whom I have supported over the years. She has gotten much better and I have invested in her business. Presently she has all the basic requirements for her work and she works from home. We live in a 4 bed and converted one to her studio (fully furnished - AC tables shelves etc).

Over the years I have encouraged her to focus on entrepreneurship. This will give her total control of her time. This way the kids get her attention while she handles business which I hope to one day retire into. I make sure she doesn’t contribute her personal funds to the home as I advise her to save for rain days. I have encouraged her to work closely with my dad to earn experience as they share same profession hopefully take over the firm in time while I groom mine for which she is the major shareholder (I’m not even a shareholder).

Overall, do not look for a 9-5 like me, let’s grow a business.

However, she applies for jobs here and there. Just this morning she woke up as early as 4:30am applying for a customer service position and had to wake me up to correct her cover note.

At this point I feel like giving up on her. I feel she just wants to have a paying Job for whatever reason. But I know know the downsides; no time for the kids, 40-80% of income goes on expenses, work stress, regrets - now you can’t quit because you have to prove you can do it.

Am I being unreasonable telling her not to work and focus on developing her business skills?

NB: I have never discouraged her in her business rather encouraged/ advised and funded.

Modified: for those insisting I let her be, how do we plan our future if we share separate visions?? When has working ever made anyone rich??

If she gets an IOC opportunity I’ll definitely support tho, but these are not the toes she’s applying for 100k -300k
The truth is
YOUR WIFE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT SHE'S DOING.
SHE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.
THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THAT SHE'S NOT CONTENTED, SHE HAS NO RESPECT FOR YOU, AND SHE'S VERY SELFISH AND HAS EYES FOR THE STREET.
IF YOU LET HER GO OUT, YOUR MARRIAGE IS AT RISK AND SHE'LL MOST LIKELY CHEAT.

WHAT TO DO:

LET HER GET THE JOB AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GIVE HER A KOBO ANYMORE.
GIVE HER ONLY WHAT THE HOUSE NEEDS FOR BASIC MAINTENANCE.
DON'T GIVE HER ANYTHING EXTRA
2, MONITOR HER PHONE AND KNOW WHAT SHE'S UP TO ...

IN THE END, HER SENSE WILL RETURN BACK...
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by JimD(m): 1:10pm On Sep 17, 2023
Most of the people replying to these posts are either simps or feminist idiots. The mistake is marrying her without knowing if she has a defined chart or map for her life. Your wife looks like someone who is just figuring out shit - all these hustler mentality types. There's no definite direction. Give her a timeframe to come up with a 5-year roadmap for her life. Then you show her yours and compare and contrast. Vision alignment is very important in marriage

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by SerLaery(m): 1:12pm On Sep 17, 2023
pongwa:
don't let some people see this. That said, I believe you have married a career lady and its gonna be hard to convince her. Moreover, I also want you to know that your case is not a peculiar one. It just calls for more deliberations, so I suggest you sit her down and devise plans on taking care of the kids. Whatever arrangements or strategy to be employed should be agreed upon. Lastly if your wife has feminist tendencies, please don't portray yourself as head of the house o.

I'm not the OP. It's the OP that needed the advice. I have done my bit. Marriage/Family is a sensitive topic.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by sonofthunder: 1:14pm On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

Over the years I have encouraged her to focus on entrepreneurship. This will give her total control of her time. This way the kids get her attention while she handles business which I hope to one day retire into. I make sure she doesn’t contribute her personal funds to the home as I advise her to save for rain days. I have encouraged her to work closely with my dad to earn experience as they share same profession hopefully take over the firm in time while I groom mine for which she is the major shareholder (I’m not even a shareholder).

NB: I have never discouraged her in her business rather encouraged/ advised and funded.

Why did you decide not to be a major shareholder in your own company you set up and run by yourself 100%. Do you have another company in profits whereby you are the major shareholder?
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by kurlz(f): 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

Don't stress yourself, let her learn from experience, they don't tell a child not to put hand in fire when the fire burns the child he will learn, so leave her to work she will start complaining and quit by herself because she may not be able to meet up with time, stress, shores, kids care, pressure....... And may not be able to condole how she will be treated when working under someone. You are even stressing it too much let her work under someone and learn by her self, it's just for a little while.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by sonofthunder: 1:16pm On Sep 17, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Please let her be!

Why?
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Omookunnimi(m): 1:24pm On Sep 17, 2023
This life no balance at all. The other day one woman was complaining about how her husband was not serious to the extend that she is now 'the husband' as she shoulder all responsibilities at home. Here is a man with good pay and taking good care of his wife, yet the woman still want to work not that she is lacking anything from her husband. It is well. How I wish she can listen to you, by this she will have time to take care of her family.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Porksupplyib: 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2023
phemy36:

May God bless you 💯. I don't understand the kind of female we have this day. Their thinking is shallow

I seriously tire. They want to be independent , push a career etc. That is the new trend. A man has set you up enough for you to grow and still be able to manage the home, he is catering for the finances of the home and all, but you just want to dive into the labour pool.
Well, it is well.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Porksupplyib: 1:33pm On Sep 17, 2023
kurlz:

Don't stress yourself, let her learn from experience, they don't tell a child not to put hand in fire when the fire burns the child he will learn, so leave her to work she will start complaining and quit by herself because she may not be able to meet up with time, stress, shores, kids care, pressure....... And may not be able to condole how she will be treated when working under someone. You are even stressing it too much let her work under someone and learn by her self, it's just for a little while.

Well, it won't always happen that way. If what he is saying about his wife is true, she may not be willing to quit even when the career is tough.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by FreeConCiencE: 1:40pm On Sep 17, 2023
My advice
Firstly, do DNA test for your children to confirm the paternity. Always do it for every child you have.
Secondly, your wife may have the tendency for extramarital affairs and she is looking for a kind of job that will give her that opportunity. Be very vigilant. Only unreasonable or mentally deranged person will have passion for stressful job when you have a less stressful job with better income and security. Don't ever trust the current women we have. And hear this, if your children are lacking good care, hire someone to care for them. If you too are not getting good care ( in terms of food, gist partner etc), marry the second wife. Remember, you only have one life to live..
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Jacku: 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:

I think you're probably stuck in your own dreams and decision and have failed to really ask her what she wants, judging from what you typed.

I'll advise you ask her what she wants so that it won't seem she's living her life to please you
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by phemy36(m): 1:58pm On Sep 17, 2023
phemmyfour:
Mister , give your advice and move on. What gives you the impression that the experience in your marriage will work for the OP.

Don't force it, except you are misogynist

With this response. I'm not surprised. You sound like a female. Enjoy your day
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by egojeny1(f): 1:59pm On Sep 17, 2023
You are very selfish. Allow your wife to be who she wants to be
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by BigIyanga: 2:05pm On Sep 17, 2023
oweniwe:

Una men no dey hear word. Invest in yourself. Don't invest in woman's business.

All the funds you have been putting in her biz, if you had invested in your own biz, would have been better for you.

You see, women, on a good day, want a man that will be laboring to provide for them while they just stay at home doing simple things. Most of them then don't want to task their brain.

So forget all that gimmick of looking for work, she's just pretending so that she will look serious in your eyes. You said she's trained accountant like your Dad, then why is she applying for customer service roles? Because accounting is hard and customer service is soft... She don't want work that will make her to be using her brain grin

Tailoring requires a lot of brain work na why she quit am sharply.. cheesy

Just leave her alone. Next time you have money use it to establish another business for yourself or expand your current business. Make she dey do her catering and customer service for one corner.

No be today women dey pretend to be serious about something when they are just doing it so as not to look lazy grin

Lol
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Georgejeez: 2:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
The solution is simple ..
Just marry another wife and bring her into the house , your current wife will train her to take over the Chef , babysitting and housewife department so she can have freedom to pursue her office work ..

Life is not too hard as we rate it .

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by NoToPile: 2:25pm On Sep 17, 2023
Interesting thread, the comments are even more interesting.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Mom007(f): 2:25pm On Sep 17, 2023
Allow her oga. She must come to see by herself that the grass is not greener on the other side. When she has worked a few months coupled with work stress, transportation stress for peanuts which is what most companies pay, she will be more receptive to your advice.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by justli: 2:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
starpower:

Invest in yourself more from now on and try avoiding telling her what to do. I had this issue in my marriage quite a time ago, I just try investing more in myself and people who value my initiative. I stop advising and complaining and support when I can not as a duty. Some people aren't really very logical ones and finds business uncertainty depressive, one will learn to manage people like resources that have choice of expression of meaning. Maybe you should be the entrepreneur and make that your priority. Can hire professionals for your dad and manage them. A friend is an accountant he manages 6 pharmacies. We can't over plan our lives and that of others. I have a business but find it very boring doing the manual stuffs, I learnt delegation through systemizing, my wife doesn't like doing anything than studying I relieved her of the office functions and let her continue studying . My business has progressed better without her distractions and her life is better hopefully. I have more time for my kid which I have love to. By over supporting people along your own experiences makes them entitled in the long run and they over value there capacity. Unleash your partners let them know survival ain't easy and they might be very lucky and make ones life better and more fulfilling.

I took a lot from this. Thanks for sharing your insight

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: When Your Parents Compare You To Your Successful Mates, Do This... / My Uncle Wife Is Insensitive / Majiyagbe-Street In Lagos, Husbands Welcome Wives's Lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.