Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? (25324 Views)

Am I Being Manipulated? Is Her Anger Justified? / I Am Being Unreasonable With My Wife??? / Car Issue: Am I Being Fair To My Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Roseey0(f): 5:31am On Sep 18, 2023
All you do is tell her what to do, have you ever asked her what she wants to do so you can help her fashion that to fit your plans of having her watch the kids. Flip this coin and view it from her perspective. Since 9- 5 doesn't make anyone rich, why are you keeping yours? why not resign, start up a business too so you have time for the kids.
You men just feel every woman's goal or priority is to raise children. Some are more ambitious than most of you but because society has made it so, they mortgage their lives to satisfy you all. I hope you apply diplomacy and hear her out. That she loves cooking and baking does not mean she must see it as a career path. Work out something that will favour the family, but around her path and see her follow your recommendation bumper to bumper.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by kurlz(f): 6:34am On Sep 18, 2023
Porksupplyib:

Well, it won't always happen that way. If what he is saying about his wife is true, she may not be willing to quit even when the career is tough.

Well until she's left to try she may keep complaining of not being allowed to work, but when she tries and faces a lot of pressure, and before she returns the man has collected everything and taken over his company she will learn the hard way. Some people can never be content no matter what so leave them to bear the brunt.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by leanonme82: 8:49am On Sep 18, 2023
Towma:

Your wife wants more income than what she's currently getting and she doesn't want to depend on anyone for that. I don't know what your personal story is in your family but I feel her catering business isn't going as well as she hoped or it isn't yielding desired profits and she is not comfortable depending on you for her upkeep.

If you two can afford it, hire the services of a good creche or carer for your kids while she does her office work. Let her follow it and hopefully, she would succeed or go far.
It's not advice able for women to not have a source of income they can use in taking care of themselves and kids alone, in case something happens to their husbands.

My two cents.
Ekeledilibuhari, Maybe she doesn't see what Ur seeing. Make her read the story of SoFresh. It's a juicing company. They are a Couple from Kwara, her husband gota job in Lagos. She was jobless so started juicing and supplying to local supermarkets, opened an Instagram page and started selling direct too. Later added healthy snacks for office lunch delivery. She became a millionaire. Her husband quit his job and wt his experience working wt Mr Biggs and understanding business systems, they now have chains of eateries across Lagos and moved into property investment. They are the biggest healthy food and juice chain in Nigeria.

You need to let her SEE the success dt an happen.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Basheer006: 9:02am On Sep 18, 2023
Just ask her what she wants and support her.. she also has a say in the house and it's her choice if she wants to work for her money.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by tosinhtml: 12:20pm On Sep 18, 2023
Roseey0:
All you do is tell her what to do, have you ever asked her what she wants to do so you can help her fashion that to fit your plans of having her watch the kids. Flip this coin and view it from her perspective. Since 9- 5 doesn't make anyone rich, why are you keeping yours? why not resign, start up a business too so you have time for the kids.
You men just feel every woman's goal or priority is to raise children. Some are more ambitious than most of you but because society has made it so, they mortgage their lives to satisfy you all. I hope you apply diplomacy and hear her out. That she loves cooking and baking does not mean she must see it as a career path. Work out something that will favour the family, but around her path and see her follow your recommendation bumper to bumper.

Ambition to be earning 100k from customer service work while standard of living is x10 of that. All in the name of wearing heels to work to call herself career woman. Meanwhile all the salary will finish from transportation. Let her apply to International Oil Companies or High Skilled accounting job if she is really skilled.

A lot of women see wearing heels & posting office pictures on Instagram as ambition, which is just crazy. Ambition is actually having a career path & following it through.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by kayperry: 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
pocohantas:
Forgive me, your wife is only being delusional.
Probably she is surrounded by career women and because she sees them in heels, she thinks they have it all rosy. Whereas some of them can't boast of 500k savings.

If she was such a career woman, she would nurture her accountancy career, not look for cheap customer service jobs that offers little career growth in Nigeria. If she removes transportation, she would be left with nothing.

In the longrun, she makes nothing to add to the home. The home is neglected. She comes back tired. Sex life dips. Family time dips. Then matrimonial issues sets in and we blame village people.

Don't mind people telling you to support her. I pity these modern husbands that support everything. The mistake you made was marrying a woman who didn't work in her most active and free years only to try make her some Okonjo Iweala after childbearing. They most times exhibit this confusion later in life. Not their fault at all. You don't learn left hand in old age.

As flawless as that submission might sound, i won't forget you are a "WOMAN" lolZZ
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by OZIOGU1: 8:50am On Sep 19, 2023
Yugoslavia247:
My submission is this.

It is man who has worked under people that will value their freedom and want to grow business.

She is eager because she feels if you can do it then she can.

Naso e de be until she starts the job and sees it is not rosy too.

Again why is her catering in the house.

She feels she has no say in the house because she is not really contributing.

Just give her a months of decision making.

Take her advice and suggestions too.

Let her have a say.

Allow her decisions stand no matter how unreasonable it seems.

Especially regarding the children.

Make her feel her suggests do not depend on her financial input.

For that is the issue.

Nobody likes work. But people like to be busy.

Nobody becomes rich earning a salary, the idea you are giving your wife is good but too much attachment to ur father she might not like it, try to give instance where successful people are busniness ownwer and not salary earners, also you kids can inherit your business and they cannot do same her job.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Roseey0(f): 6:16am On Sep 21, 2023
tosinhtml:

Ambition to be earning 100k from customer service work while standard of living is x10 of that. All in the name of wearing heels to work to call herself career woman. Meanwhile all the salary will finish from transportation. Let her apply to International Oil Companies or High Skilled accounting job if she is really skilled.

A lot of women see wearing heels & posting office pictures on Instagram as ambition, which is just crazy. Ambition is actually having a career path & following it through.
My own is to hear her out first before you draw the plan
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by tosinhtml: 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
Roseey0:
My own is to hear her out first before you draw the plan

They have already told you someone has an accounting degree & left it, now chasing a customer service job. What else do you want to hear that will be different?
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Kobojunkie: 2:11pm On Sep 21, 2023
tosinhtml:
■ They have already told you someone has an accounting degree & left it, now chasing a customer service job. What else do you want to hear that will be different?
She has her reasons for abandoning it, and forcing her to use what she has made up her mind to abandon is unruly. undecided
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by tosinhtml: 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
Kobojunkie:
She has her reasons for abandoning it, and forcing her to use what she has made up her mind to abandon is unruly. undecided

Nobody is asking her to do accounting by force but applying for customer service job of 100k & leaving her business is what now makes sense? The same job that transport will take almost have of it. It is fine.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2023
tosinhtml:
■ Nobody is asking her to do accounting by force but applying for customer service job of 100k & leaving her business is what now makes sense? The same job that transport will take almost have of it. It is fine.
She knows why she chose that over using her accounting degree...don't you know this? Her reasons, though foolish to others, are very important and need to be understood and accepted first. undecided

I recall meeting a Ph.D. holder driving a cab back some time ago in NY. I can't recall how the conversation went but his explanation of his situation and mental state left me accepting after that cab ride that we should really not go around trying to force our private standards on others. undecided
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by tosinhtml: 4:34pm On Sep 21, 2023
Kobojunkie:
She knows why she chose that over using her accounting degree...don't you know this? Her reasons, though foolish to others, are very important and need to be understood and accepted first. undecided

it is well.
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by EkelediliBuhari: 8:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
Kobojunkie:

I recall meeting a Ph.D. holder driving a cab back some time ago in NY. I can't recall how the conversation went but his explanation of his situation and mental state left me accepting after that cab ride that we should really not go around trying to force our private standards on others. undecided

All points back to selfishness…

I dont love my job but I have to do it because the family needs to survive… we must all learn to sacrifice our personal inclinations for the greater good

I might as well decide to stop working and loof around, with my peace of mind … I bet you’d also say “she and the kids should understand me” …
Re: Am I Being Unreasonable Or Is My Wife Selfish? by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Sep 21, 2023
EkelediliBuhari:
■ All points back to selfishness… I dont love my job but I have to do it because the family needs to survive… we must all learn to sacrifice our personal inclinations for the greater good
■ I might as well decide to stop working and loof around, with my peace of mind … I bet you’d also say “she and the kids should understand me” …
1. That choice, you made for your own self. Don't force your choice on others. undecided

2. No one put a gun to your head to force you to start a family and make the choices you chose to make though. You decided to do what you don't love and have a family on top of it. Why should everyone do as you do? undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: When Your Parents Compare You To Your Successful Mates, Do This... / My Uncle Wife Is Insensitive / Majiyagbe-Street In Lagos, Husbands Welcome Wives's Lovers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.