Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. (78612 Views)

Reno Omokri: Biafrans Built This Armoured Car During The Civil War / Eventually Nigeria Could Not Pay China Loans / See What Will Happen When Nigeria Cant Pay China Ever Growing Debt(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by GodHimself: 11:03am On Sep 22, 2023
I know… I read one of his books where he set demons to work building the temple.

tsdarkside:

in the bible,king solomon could command demons....
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Kenmatt(m): 11:04am On Sep 22, 2023
This also proves the fact that truthfully Benin is an ancient City and her Culture is actually rooted.

We all can easily assimilate this fact that Yoruba was an offspring of Benin.

3 Likes

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by EPOMA(m): 11:06am On Sep 22, 2023
WHite people destroyed Africa till date , made us mentally redundant . Nice that this topic was posted here to enlighten many who do not know there history especially those that keeps running people down because of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Kukutente23: 11:06am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:
According to British newspaper, the UK Guardian,

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

Benin Wall and Moat

As it looked 500 years ago:
You got the story from a British newspaper?
Funny you quickly believe them in this one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Yampotatocarrot(m): 11:06am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

It is.

You can actually go on Google Earth and type in 'Benin wall', and you will see the full outline of the wall. It's unbelievably huge and expansive, and you will wonder how long it must have take them to build it. I mean, something 4 times longer than the Great Wall of China.

I read somewhere that it took around 300 years to build!

Can you imagine the level of state organisation and efficiency that would have allowed a project to continue till the end for 300 years?

There were many people who helped in building this wall who knew full well that they would not live to see its completion.

Today, even a 3 year long project can give us serious problems, never mind 300 years.

Not on Google map, is the wall actually still there? As in, if one gets to Benin today, will one see the wall? I will really love to know also
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Sk5050: 11:07am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

You are right my brother.

The biggest damage they did to us wasn't even the looting of our resources, which in itself was massive.

It was the damage they did to our MINDS.

They destroyed our self-belief.

Our ancestors never entertained the idea of being unable to build something that they required building.

If they needed it, they gathered round and decided how to go about it and they just did it.

It never even OCCURRED to them to get people from overseas to do it for them.

Today, it is the complete opposite.

The minute we decide on building something even mildly tasking or complex, we look for 'white people' to do it for us, because in our minds we are incapable of doing it, including railway lines or airports.

Why do you need foreigners to build an airport or a railway station, or a road?

It's just pathetic.

The Chinese and others must be wondering to themselves, ''What on Earth is the matter with these people?''

You have other 300 universities in the country filled with multiple professors and lecturers in every field of endeavour.

So why do you need foreigners to build you a railway line or an airport or a mall?
You're very correct they destroyed us completely! How do we change our mindset 🤦
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by HydraFeeds(m): 11:11am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:
I suspect this wall was built to keep out the Arab jihadists invading West Africa many centuries ago.

It clearly worked. For centuries. In fact it could be reasonably argued that had this wall not been built, we would be bearing names like Abdullahi and Muhammed today instead of Ayodele, Chukwuma, and so on, since Benin was the biggest and most powerful kingdom of the south, and had they captured Benin, the rest of the region would have been a breeze for them.

So, a very good and laudable project.

Indigenously envisioned, conceptualized, and executed.

With no stories of mago mago or somebody chopping the money meant for building the wall. wink
I read it at Benin museum that it’s built by the king to prevent his subjects from leaving the city .
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by JuanDeDios: 11:11am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

You are 1000% correct.

It was black Africans who built Stonehenge.

The first settlers of every country on Earth were black Africans, as has now been confirmed by scientists in numerous DNA and archeological studies.

These white and yellow people that Africans feel so inferior to are actually descended from ancient black African settlers who got there thousands of years ago, and eventually lost their skin colour through DNA climatic adaptation, which caused albinism to spread among populations there.

Why a person would feel inferior to his own children, I've no idea.

Lol. It could well be that it was a resting place for giants or gods.

I personally believe without a shadow of doubt that such beings lived among us in remotest antiquity.

grin
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by MacTayyy: 11:11am On Sep 22, 2023
May the sounds of our rejoicing this week be as loud as the ZEALOT BOOMBOX 😌.

Good bass , Long battery life , SD card slot , aux .

Payment on delivery Nationwide via GIG Logistics.

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Anny69: 11:11am On Sep 22, 2023
What an educative thread. Sadly, tribalist would soon destroy the thread. cry

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by jaxxy(m): 11:12am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

I just posted pictures of the wall above here. What are you talking about?

The wall is partly overground and partly moat, which is covered by greenery.

Successive governments have neglected and ignored it.

In a serious country where people took pride in their history and heritage, that wall would have been our BIGGEST INCOME EARNER even more than oil, as a result of tourism.

This is literally the biggest man-made structure ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH!

Yet most NIGERIANS don't even know it exists, talk less of the world's people.

Ordinary Stonehenge in England brings in more than 20 billion dollars annually to the UK in tourism receipts.

Stonehenge is just a few rocks piled on top of each other to form a small circle.

Stonehenge

The whole world knows about Stonehenge, but nobody knows about the Great Benin Wall that is 4 times longer than the Great Wall of China.

In fact we have problems as a people.

Stonehenge ordinary ke? Do u know how large those stones are? itsike the great pyramids of Egypt.

I think u are overhyping the wall of Benin.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Khyrvxjzy: 11:12am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:
If we had to implement such a project today, we would not believe in our capacity to do it.

We would be looking for China or Julius Berger to do it, and we would be ready to pay them billions of dollars.

Such is the damage that colonial rule did to our sense of confidence in our capacity as a people.

This wall was built long before the Industrial Revolution of the 18th century.

They did not use any machines at all (at least none that we know of. Maybe they invented something they used, who knows? Do we research our history?)

But today, if we want to build a COMMON RAILWAY LINE, we call the Chinese.

We want to build an expressway, we call Julius Berger.

We want to build an airport or shopping mall, we call China.

I mean, we need to snap out of it, and become MEN again.

Just like our illustrious ancestors.

industrial revolution na 18 century nawa ooo
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by JuanDeDios: 11:15am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

The trouble with your position is that there are also many small, largely homogenous African nations that are terribly unstable. Somalia is a great example. Single ethnicity more or less, with over 85% Somali ethnicity. Yet, trouble from morning till night there.

Conversely, Togo has 40 ethnic groups, and is extremely peaceful.

The thing is Africa is by far the most ethnically diverse continent, with HALF the languages on Earth spoken in Africa, which has over 3,000 languages.

So you have NO CHOICE but to abandon tribalism and learn to live in multi-ethnic societies. You cannot have 3,000 countries in Africa, because that would make us extremely vulnerable to western exploitation and manipulation, far worse than exists today.

Correct

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by JuanDeDios: 11:16am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

Incredible.

If you ask 100 Nigerians ''which city had streetlights first, London or Benin city'', 99 would say ''London of course'', and look at you as if you're mad for even asking the question.

Meanwhile Benin city not only had streetlights before London, but had them 300 years BEFORE London.

Lol. But London also had oil-lit street lights hundreds of years before they adopted gas lighting, and then electricity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by jojothaiv(m): 11:18am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:
I suspect this wall was built to keep out the Arab jihadists invading West Africa many centuries ago.

It clearly worked. For centuries. In fact it could be reasonably argued that had this wall not been built, we would be bearing names like Abdullahi and Muhammed today instead of Ayodele, Chukwuma, and so on, since Benin was the biggest and most powerful kingdom of the south, and had they captured Benin, the rest of the region would have been a breeze for them.

With no stories of mago mago or somebody chopping the money meant for building the wall. wink
Sweet old days.
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Kachidubem: 11:19am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

In a serious country where people took pride in their history and heritage, that wall would have been our BIGGEST INCOME EARNER even more than oil, as a result of tourism.

Ordinary Stonehenge in England brings in more than 20 billion dollars annually to the UK in tourism receipts.

Stonehenge is just a few rocks piled on top of each other to form a small circle.

Stonehenge

The whole world knows about Stonehenge, but nobody knows about the Great Benin Wall that is 4 times longer than the Great Wall of China.

Are you sure people are actually paying money to come the UK to see this thing or they are just using style to collect UK tourist visa or wat

I nothing fascinating about those stones

2 Likes

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by ultimateprof: 11:19am On Sep 22, 2023
If its now APC would have embezzled the funds meant for this project.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by JuanDeDios: 11:20am On Sep 22, 2023
Razgas:
unfortunately for you. The first sin of colonialism of Africa was 'uniting tribes of Africa who should never have been united. A sin which you vigorously defend.
Ever wonder why the most developed and peaceful African countries are largely homogeneous? Eswatini, the north Africans, Gabon, Botswana, Namibia, Mauritius etc
If not for tribal allegiance, many events that happen in Nigeria would never happen.
Apart from Botswana and Mauritius, none of the others is anything close to fantastic. Eswatini is the Aids-ravaged personal fiefdom of the Swati family. Garbon? Are you kidding me?

Nigeria is a bad example, but we have diverse countries that are stable and doing fairly ok like Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by ufotunang: 11:21am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

It is.

You can actually go on Google Earth and type in 'Benin wall', and you will see the full outline of the wall. It's unbelievably huge and expansive, and you will wonder how long it must have take them to build it. I mean, something 4 times longer than the Great Wall of China.

I read somewhere that it took around 300 years to build!

Can you imagine the level of state organisation and efficiency that would have allowed a project to continue till the end for 300 years?

There were many people who helped in building this wall who knew full well that they would not live to see its completion.

Today, even a 3 year long project can give us serious problems, never mind 300 years.
.. what is the benefit of the Benin wall to the people of edo state and the nigeria economy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by chiedozie198100: 11:21am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

Stonehenge

oga if you are waiting for china or the west to come and promote your achievements, you go wait tire.

why not make it a project to propagate this information?
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Juju70(m): 11:21am On Sep 22, 2023
tollyboy5:
Why is the wall not in existence today?
Your imperialist Britain destroyed it and they want to fill your minds with their royal jibberish! Mskewww

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by ufotunang: 11:23am On Sep 22, 2023
How has this wall solved Edo state and nigeria problems

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by NzogbuNzogbu: 11:24am On Sep 22, 2023
tsdarkside:

in the bible,king solomon could command demons....
lol, that is kaballah lies.

And it's usually esoteric dark stuffs that tell this info

No way would demons be building a house for yaweh, was the temple builders any different from the David labourers who built Jerusalem as a formidable city with walls

5 Likes

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Solitechworld(m): 11:24am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

Bringing religion to every conversation, what has Arab or Islam got to do with all this? And if we talk now they will say Muslims are not peaceful....

I believe it was because the wall wasn't built in your city, that is why you are now practicing the religion of your slave masters....

Those that imposed their believes and doctrine on you after a serious beating and starvation...
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by bizzibodi(m): 11:25am On Sep 22, 2023
I have never heard of Benin wall until this morning,how comes history is mute on this...it was not even listed among UNESCO world heritage site....who did this to us.the artifacts of benin kingdom can yield up to $1bn in tourism.

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Judolisco(m): 11:26am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:
If we had to implement such a project today, we would not believe in our capacity to do it.

We would be looking for China or Julius Berger to do it, and we would be ready to pay them billions of dollars.

Such is the damage that colonial rule did to our sense of confidence in our capacity as a people.

This wall was built long before the Industrial Revolution of the 18th century.

They did not use any machines at all (at least none that we know of. Maybe they invented something they used, who knows? Do we research our history?)

But today, if we want to build a COMMON RAILWAY LINE, we call the Chinese.

We want to build an expressway, we call Julius Berger.

We want to build an airport or shopping mall, we call China.

I mean, we need to snap out of it, and become MEN again.

Just like our illustrious ancestors.

u r right but I think our civilization was disrupted and the British jst put a lot of people with different cultures together... If they had succeeded in making us speak one language or have one religion maybe we would have been better...
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by JuanDeDios: 11:26am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

Nobody can derail AFRICAN HISTORY. It is cast in stone.

He cannot erase what's been posted. His contribution and my response are also needed, because we need to know what our problems are as a people, and he is here to show us that he is part of our problems, and we need to know how to handle that problem if we're to move forward.

Perhaps we can research how the great Benin Empire dealt with traitors and secessionists?

I can imagine their 200,000 strong army did not smile on traitors, but were highly ruthless and decisive in flushing them out, hence the longevity of the great Empire, which lasted a thousand years.

So we have a lot to learn from our history, including how to handle toxic populations.

They killed them.

But I'm sure you don't want that. Democracy and human rights all the way.
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Mayeldah(m): 11:27am On Sep 22, 2023
How can they build such these days? Today's Nigerians are lazy, me inclusive.

we just want to live large with minimal effort, ride big cars, show off, order pizza from Italy and wine from France.

Today's youths are 24 hours on the internet, telling you education is a scam. everyone wants to be a content creator on Tik Tok and facebook

only few are working hard to invent, manufacture, build, research and innovate. Most youths want the easy way out.

back to the topic, how can Obaseki even harness the gains of tourism from the moat and wall at least when he is fighting his deputy? they play politics and steal, that's all. no ideas, no substance, no innovation.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by JuanDeDios: 11:27am On Sep 22, 2023
ruffhandu:

Was Auchi part of the Benin empire?
Yes.

2 Likes

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Justbeingreal(m): 11:28am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

You are right my brother.

The biggest damage they did to us wasn't even the looting of our resources, which in itself was massive.

It was the damage they did to our MINDS.

They destroyed our self-belief.

Our ancestors never entertained the idea of being unable to build something that they required building.

If they needed it, they gathered round and decided how to go about it and they just did it.

It never even OCCURRED to them to get people from overseas to do it for them.

Today, it is the complete opposite.

The minute we decide on building something even mildly tasking or complex, we look for 'white people' to do it for us, because in our minds we are incapable of doing it, including railway lines or airports.

Why do you need foreigners to build an airport or a railway station, or a road?

It's just pathetic.

The Chinese and others must be wondering to themselves, ''What on Earth is the matter with these people?''

You have other 300 universities in the country filled with multiple professors and lecturers in every field of endeavour.

So why do you need foreigners to build you a railway line or an airport or a mall?
All we do in these our universities is just theory and more theory with little or no practical.

That's why all we do here is talk and talk analyzing arguing with no action..

1 Like

Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by Machinegun91(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2023
Ojukwu destroyed it
Re: Our Ancestors Built This Wall 600 Years Ago. Today We Would Pay CHINA To Do It. by CorperKola: 11:31am On Sep 22, 2023
Rossikk:

You are entitled to your opinion but i want to bring it to your attention that combined yoruba forces of ibadan, oyo, oshogbo and ekiti actually fought the jihadists to a stand still and defended themselves, they didnt rely on the great benin kingdom

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

How A Service Chief Greeted Osinbajo Today At African Union Peace Event (Pics) / Bandits Attack Presidential Guards After Threat To Kidnap Buhari / Nnamdi Kanu Greets Alex Ekwueme At His Residence In Enugu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.