Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato (41580 Views)

'How Tomato Paste Importers Are Killing Nigerians' - Erisco Foods (2015) / Nagiko Threatened To Kidnap & Kill Me Over Erisco Tomato Review - Chioma Egodi / Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by flakkybakky(f): 8:58pm On Sep 25, 2023
I saw the actual post on Facebook but I just waka pass, mad people everywhere, na this kind thrash dem go dey get strength for, with all d wahala wey dey this country
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by lascos912(m): 9:00pm On Sep 25, 2023
solex75:

No she needs to be arrested for questioning to ascertain if she was sponsored by competitors to run down the brand.
you have a point
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by abbey621(m): 9:03pm On Sep 25, 2023
Big opportunity missed, instead of them to use this to showcase that they are always listening to their customers and due to that they have created new products tagged low sugar and low sodium variants, they instead chose the easier option, hold the neck of the no name consumer until she begs......SHAME!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 25, 2023
Fear women. I happy the way he arrested her. Very foolish idiot
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by gfullmoon(m): 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2023
Those calling this product Review is this how to review a product? What if the sugary taste came from her mouth? I am not trying to defend Erisco but she could have called their Customer service and if her genuine concerns were not addressed then she should use this as last resort.

What if that alleged sugary taste is what the that particular brand is, and as a first time user how can she give objective review of product she is using for the first time?

Review starts from even reviewing the tin(label) if it is phone removing the cartons. Reviewers analyse both the potential positive and negative sides of the product.

This is a case of FSLC holder reviewing PhD Thesis.

You can never objectively review what you don't use or using for the first time. Because your review will encompasses previous usage, if electronic gadgets previous versions etc.

Though she might have innocently did this not likely a front for Gino or other competitors to ruin Erisco.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by sirchim(m): 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2023
Kestolove:
Useless iyamiri woman trying to rubbish our own iyamiri' local made tomato....we all know iyamiri's are known to produce fake things but must u say it out...
kayi shiru, if you have nothing to say. You are one of our problems in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by simfrost90210: 9:04pm On Sep 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
On what basis have these lady being arrested?

What crime did she commit?

🙄🤔 Seriously, i'm still asking this question!
They could locate someone who made an online statement but bandits and terrorists have been invisible for almost two decades now in this same country of ours, in, according to some brainless governors, ungovernable areas!

I'm Just Chuckling Very Seriously!😏😏

When we're ready to have a country, we'll know but as for now, abeg, my Arsenal, you people should be preparing, oh jare! Ahhhh!!!

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 25, 2023
solex75:

No she needs to be arrested for questioning to ascertain if she was sponsored by competitors to run down the brand.
God bless you for this comment.

This is exactly the reasons, nigerians don't help each other. We are too evil minded
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by delpee(f): 9:08pm On Sep 25, 2023
Erisco produces with locally farmed tomatoes unlike most others that are made from concentrate and fillers. If there's no added sugar, it should be healthier.
It's not fair or wise to ruin someone's efforts without adequate facts. A breed of Jos tomatoes for instance has a sweet taste. Does that mean it has added sugar?
Let's encourage our manufacturers biko.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by mariahAngel(f): 9:09pm On Sep 25, 2023
delpee:
Erisco produces with locally farmed tomatoes unlike most others that are made from concentrate and fillers. If there's no added sugar, it should be healthier.

Reason why they got angry.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Machinegun91(m): 9:11pm On Sep 25, 2023
Igbo smokers
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by maureensylvia(f): 9:12pm On Sep 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
On what basis have these lady being arrested?

What crime did she commit?

She’s right to complain
Where she nailed herself was the killing part, if she can provide evidence of those killed, she’s good to go

Let’s be guided with our words

2 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by rickleye: 9:15pm On Sep 25, 2023
Come and Arrest me
There is too much Sugar in your Tomatoes 🍅
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Clinghton: 9:15pm On Sep 25, 2023
Should she be arrested for voicing out her observation?
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Loyalty1: 9:16pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

Support Local manufacturers

Erisco is 100% local and only puree company that patronize local farmers

The problem with this IPOB youth is they talk carelessly online like they are invisible or mobs would protect them

PS:

Proper headline

Erisco reported to the authority debranding and demarketing of their products

Police authority took action to invite the culprit

Erisco did not arrest anyone, they reported a complaint

Pls respect yourself. So,every Igbo person is IPOB. I would have called you a fool but two wrong does not make a right.
I come in peace.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by kkins25(m): 9:17pm On Sep 25, 2023
maureensylvia:

She’s right to complain
Where she nailed herself was the killing part,

Let’s be guided with our words

she should have been sued instead. Plus, she can defend with the claim that it wasn't in that context. She has not committed any crime here..

What do you mean " if she can provide evidence of those killed, she’s good to go" Are u saying, they were right to have her arrested? On what fvcking grounds? In which working nation can a seller hire the police without any legal complaint, to arrest a customer?
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by seaenergy: 9:18pm On Sep 25, 2023
Wisdomkosi:
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has said that it will issue a summon to Erisco Foods Limited over the arrest and detention of Chioma Egodi Jnr.

The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of FCCPC, Barrister Babatunde Irukera, made this known on X (formerly Twitter) following the arrest of Egodi, who made a review of Erisco’s product.

“UPDATE: @fccpcnigeria operatives have confirmed arrest & transfer of the case to Abuja by the Police Force. She was no longer at the station on arrival,” Irukera posted.

“Working to determine exact current location & engaging Force HQ in Abuja. Summons being issued to @EriscoFoodsLtd immediately.”

The lady in question, Egodi Jnr, made a post on Facebook on September 17, 2023, where she said she tasted too much sugar in the tin tomato she bought, a product of Erisco Foods.

“I went to buy tin tomatoes yesterday (September 16) that I will use to make stew; I didn’t see Gino and Sonia, so I decided to buy this one,” she wrote.

“When I opened it, I decided to taste it omo! Sugar is just too much! Haaa biko let me know if you have used this Tin tomato before because this is an ike gwuru situation!”

The management of Erisco Foods Limited thereafter issued an official statement about the post Egodi made on Facebook about their product and also said they would take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on their reputation.

“The attention of Erisco Foods Limited has been drawn to a Facebook post by one Chioma Egodi Jnr on September 17, 2023, alleging that Nagtko Tomato Mix, one of the three tomato paste variants of Erisco Foods Limited, contains an unhealthy amount of sugar and therefore not fit for human consumption,” Erisco wrote.

“While this claim is untrue and unfounded in its entirety, we wish to put on record that Erisco Foods Limited, from inception Is built on the vision and mission to manufacture and promote healthy, wholly Made-in-Nigeria tomato products with the commitment to feeding not only Nigerians but also Africans with healthy foods.

“Our Initial reaction was to ignore and disregard the post which was obviously intended to mistead our esteemed customers and discredit the image of Ensco Foods Limited, as previously instigated by some elements and syndicates who are uncomfortable with our increasing market dominance as a leading indigenous manufacturer of 100% natural tomato pastes. Considering, however, that Erisco Foods Limited has built a reputation as a credible organization committed to due process and the good of humanity, we have decided to bring the said publication to the attention of relevant authorities.

“In light of the above, we wish to reiterate that Erisco Foods Limited is solely committed to the production of healthy tomato products, including other products that have the full regulatory stamp and approval of NAFDAC and Standard Organization of Nigeria.

“While we recognize the rights of our consumers to make genuine observations about our products, we want to thank our esteemed customers for their continued patronage of Erisco Foods Limited. However, having built our reputation on healthy and quality products which have earned us both local and international awards, including the National Productivity Order of Merit Award, we will take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on our reputation.”

Egodi was arrested and whisked away to Abuja by the Police Force, as confirmed by the FCCPC boss, Irukera on X (formerly Twitter) on Monday.

“This has come to our attention @fccpcnigeria & we are engaged. Saw statement & deepening learning of the circumstances right now,” he posted.

“We have a team seeking to clarify arrest/detention status of the subject; & activating regulatory process to secure explanation from @EriscoFoodsLtd.”

Source : https://9newsng.com/erisco-foods-arrests-woman-for-saying-there-is-too-much-sugar-in-its-product/

The worst tomatoes in Nigeria market yet government get mind arrested someone over tomatoes that Is full of color and sweetie object. If the lady family have money they should by the tomato's take it to food lab and get needed information and take the issues to court no matter how bad our judiciary is they will win the case. I nearly die of fake drug.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by felix55(m): 9:22pm On Sep 25, 2023
Even Gino thin tomatoes contain sugar which made me to tru it away...
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by maureensylvia(f): 9:24pm On Sep 25, 2023
kkins25:

she should have been sued instead. Plus, she can defend with the claim that it wasn't in that context. She has not committed any crime here..

What do you mean " if she can provide evidence of those killed, she’s good to go" Are u saying, they were right to have her arrested? On what fvcking grounds? In which working nation can a seller hire the police without any legal complaint, to arrest a customer?

She didn’t choose her words properly
There’s a room for constructive criticism, she didn’t apply it
The negative review is understandable but going further to mention killing, I think it irked the company
Their business
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Adeyinka90: 9:29pm On Sep 25, 2023
I see no reason why she should be arrested
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by maureensylvia(f): 9:29pm On Sep 25, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
She later commented that they should tell the manufacturer to stop killing people with their products (see the screenshots). That was obviously where she went overboard and fell into their trap.

💯

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Konquest: 9:33pm On Sep 25, 2023
Wisdomkosi:
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has said that it will issue a summon to Erisco Foods Limited over the arrest and detention of Chioma Egodi Jnr.

The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of FCCPC, Barrister Babatunde Irukera, made this known on X (formerly Twitter) following the arrest of Egodi, who made a review of Erisco’s product.

“UPDATE: @fccpcnigeria operatives have confirmed arrest & transfer of the case to Abuja by the Police Force. She was no longer at the station on arrival,” Irukera posted.

“Working to determine exact current location & engaging Force HQ in Abuja. Summons being issued to @EriscoFoodsLtd immediately.”

The lady in question, Egodi Jnr, made a post on Facebook on September 17, 2023, where she said she tasted too much sugar in the tin tomato she bought, a product of Erisco Foods.

“I went to buy tin tomatoes yesterday (September 16) that I will use to make stew; I didn’t see Gino and Sonia, so I decided to buy this one,” she wrote.

“When I opened it, I decided to taste it omo! Sugar is just too much! Haaa biko let me know if you have used this Tin tomato before because this is an ike gwuru situation!”

The management of Erisco Foods Limited thereafter issued an official statement about the post Egodi made on Facebook about their product and also said they would take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on their reputation.

“The attention of Erisco Foods Limited has been drawn to a Facebook post by one Chioma Egodi Jnr on September 17, 2023, alleging that Nagtko Tomato Mix, one of the three tomato paste variants of Erisco Foods Limited, contains an unhealthy amount of sugar and therefore not fit for human consumption,” Erisco wrote.

“While this claim is untrue and unfounded in its entirety, we wish to put on record that Erisco Foods Limited, from inception Is built on the vision and mission to manufacture and promote healthy, wholly Made-in-Nigeria tomato products with the commitment to feeding not only Nigerians but also Africans with healthy foods.

“Our Initial reaction was to ignore and disregard the post which was obviously intended to mistead our esteemed customers and discredit the image of Ensco Foods Limited, as previously instigated by some elements and syndicates who are uncomfortable with our increasing market dominance as a leading indigenous manufacturer of 100% natural tomato pastes. Considering, however, that Erisco Foods Limited has built a reputation as a credible organization committed to due process and the good of humanity, we have decided to bring the said publication to the attention of relevant authorities.

“In light of the above, we wish to reiterate that Erisco Foods Limited is solely committed to the production of healthy tomato products, including other products that have the full regulatory stamp and approval of NAFDAC and Standard Organization of Nigeria.

“While we recognize the rights of our consumers to make genuine observations about our products, we want to thank our esteemed customers for their continued patronage of Erisco Foods Limited. However, having built our reputation on healthy and quality products which have earned us both local and international awards, including the National Productivity Order of Merit Award, we will take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on our reputation.”

Egodi was arrested and whisked away to Abuja by the Police Force, as confirmed by the FCCPC boss, Irukera on X (formerly Twitter) on Monday.

“This has come to our attention @fccpcnigeria & we are engaged. Saw statement & deepening learning of the circumstances right now,” he posted.

“We have a team seeking to clarify arrest/detention status of the subject; & activating regulatory process to secure explanation from @EriscoFoodsLtd.”

Source : https://9newsng.com/erisco-foods-arrests-woman-for-saying-there-is-too-much-sugar-in-its-product/
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by mastermaestro(m): 9:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
delpee:
It's not fair or wise to ruin someone's efforts without adequate facts. A breed of Jos tomatoes for instance has a sweet taste. Does that mean it has added sugar?
Let's encourage our manufacturers biko.

Now you have responded expertly unlike the rascally company. Anyone who reads what you wrote would gain more light on this issue. But a company rushing to arrest someone because of an unfavorable review speaks so much about their internal business practices. In fact I pity those who work there. It must be hell working under a management that believes in docking its critics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by gracealonev: 9:36pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

The problem with this IPOB youth is they talk carelessly online like they are invisible or mobs would protect them

PS:

Proper headline

They only have to present their own truth.
They shouldn't be like the Rev Fr. that keeps arresting detaining students who complain on social media about his mediocre university.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by walexbiz(m): 9:40pm On Sep 25, 2023
Erisco food acted very recklessly and they have just demarket their product. A good company would have invited her and allow her to have a proper understanding how their product is been manufactured and the level of sugar in it. Arresting her just shows that Erisco has a lot to hide. What Erisco may not have know is that the product that lady tasted might have even been a counterfeit and inviting her to ascertain where the product came from or what really happened would help to get to the root cause of the matter, but unfortunately Erisco took the Nigeria mentality way of abuse of power. I have never used Erisco product and I will never use it for the action taken so far.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by cococandy(f): 9:42pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:
I love this. Companies and government agencies must step up their games in monitoring what people post online.

You cannot be destroying the image that brands invested time, efforts and resources to build in the name of cruise.

Wrongdoings must have consequences in Nigeria.
Bunkbars:
God bless you for this comment.

This is exactly the reasons, nigerians don't help each other. We are too evil minded

Bunkbars:
Fear women. I happy the way he arrested her. Very foolish idiot
AkumTemi:

In that case, she should have written to NAFDAC and SON instead of jumping out on Facebook.
Besides did she write to company to lodge a formal complaint about the product?
Are you people okay?

Everyone has a right to publicly review a product they purchased whether positively or negatively.

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that some people think it’s okay to arrest someone for a negative review

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Luckysbab: 9:43pm On Sep 25, 2023
pocohantas:

What is wrongdoing in reviews?
It is her opinion and she is entitled to it. She didn't say it killed anyone. She said it has too much sugar and it is left for her to prove it does.

In her follow up comment, she insinuatedtbe product had the capacity to kill. Obviously that was out of spite.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Luckysbab: 9:44pm On Sep 25, 2023
walexbiz:
Erisco food acted very recklessly and they have just demarket their product. A good company would have invited her and allow her to have a proper understanding how their product is been manufactured and the level of sugar in it. Arresting her just shows that Erisco has a lot to hide. What Erisco may not have know is that the product that lady tasted might have even been a counterfeit and inviting her to ascertain where the product came from or what really happened would help to get to the root cause of the matter, but unfortunately Erisco took the Nigeria mentality way of abuse of power. I have never used Erisco product and I will never use it for the action taken so far.

Not she she said their product could kill. She was spiteful.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by lordtriplee(m): 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2023
Walahi, you don't have a brain. Must every garden thing be about tribe?

Whether it is a local company or not, if there is excess sugar in the paste, it could negatively impact the health of Nigerians considering we consume a lot of tomato paste. Just the same way anyone can complain about glo network being shitty, there is nothing wrong in her observation. You need you brain checked!

Bliss24:
cool

PS:

Proper headline

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by lordtriplee(m): 9:48pm On Sep 25, 2023
Another mumu. So because a company has invested in building a brand, no one should question their quality or raise alarm if they have a harmful product? I am sure. A village is looking for one of its missing idi**s because of this your post.

SmartPolician:
I love this. Companies and government agencies must step up their games in monitoring what people post online.

You cannot be destroying the image that brands invested time, efforts and resources to build in the name of cruise.

Wrongdoings must have consequences in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2023
cococandy:

Are you people okay?

Everyone has a right to publicly review a product they purchased whether positively or negatively.

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that some people think it’s okay to arrest someone for a negative review
You must be mad, and daft.

Foolish being, because it's a woman baa. Mumu!!

It is still same you people that will complain we don't produce locally, we only import, it is still same you that will support an untrained child, to come online and post nonsense.

Go and buy erisco from the market, and taste it if there is any sugar in it. That woman should be jailed in prison. And dealt with.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by ekeneclasico(m): 10:01pm On Sep 25, 2023
This issue is somethingelse... In as much customers or consumers have the right to complain about a product...but in d lady's post i sensed cruise and defamation of product, making use of dat phrase "ike gwuru situation". And why will she bring in another competitor's product in her so called review as alleged. We go all see as d case go end...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Have You Eaten Any Of These Strange Nigerian Food? / See The Evolution Coca-Cola Bottles Went Through Over The Years! (PIC) / 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.