Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,873 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. (4141 Views)

Is There Any Special Dish You Eat On Sundays? / When Last Did You Eat On Your Dinning Table? / Nigerian Women Who Don't Eat A Lot In Front Of Guys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:41am On Oct 31, 2011
Knight1:

@ uzoo
in front of my tv. grin
or sometimes lipsrsealed (the dining room) lipsrsealed
but seriously, the location of the activity isn't consequential. very seriously

i know , i meant to ask . .seeing the difference between eating on the dining table , on the sofa, on your laps ,etc , where would you prefer to eat? smiley
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Knight1(m): 7:25pm On Nov 01, 2011
any where my eyes can have clear access to the tv (if i want to watch tv) or anyplace big enough to hold my plate and a novel/newspaper.
Eating just seems like something unimportant enough to do on it's own (that's prolly a wrong line of thinking) undecided but i hardly eat without doing anything by the side. as i said, location is really of little or no importance to me.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 10:30pm On Nov 01, 2011
@knight1

lol. . . ok,i get you
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by tpia5: 12:08am On Nov 04, 2011
Btw just to clarify

eating in the village doesnt mean people sat on the bare ground when eating.

It simply means everybody got their food and sat down on a chair to eat it. No dining table present because dining tables is an urban thing for the most part, not a rural.

But if somebody did want to sit on the floor to eat, then no biggie.

At least you dont eat roasted corn or yam on the dining table when you're on the farm.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Macavelius(m): 10:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
i have noticed this behaviour mostly among those living abroad
i think this is done because most homes are small to have a proper dining table
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by Vicrobor(m): 8:20am On Nov 05, 2011
I think it has to do with "FOODMATICS".the type of food we eat in most parts of Nigeria. It is either eba,fufu,tuwo,amala,starch,etc plus soup. To economise the soup and meat the food is served in one bowl and everybody eats from there. Imagine a family of 6 children eating from one bowl on a dining table. E no work. And this dining table concept a Western culture its not our own.For me I have a dining table but I hardly use it except when I have guests if not I use my coffee table in front of the TV
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 9:44pm On Nov 06, 2011
Vicrobor:

I think it has to do with "FOODMATICS".the type of food we eat in most parts of Nigeria. It is either eba,fufu,tuwo,amala,starch,etc plus soup. To economise the soup and meat the food is served in one bowl and everybody eats from there. Imagine a family of 6 children eating from one bowl on a dining table. E no work. And this dining table concept a Western culture its not our own.For me I have a dining table but I hardly use i

"FOODMATICS" . . .lol ha ha ha
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by uzoo: 11:28am On Dec 01, 2011
so my fellow Nigerians/Naira landers as you wine and dine this Yuletide season with friends and families.

enjoy the comfort of sitting together in a dining table.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Eat On Their Dining Tables. by obowunmi(m): 3:02pm On Dec 01, 2011
Never eaten on my dining table, unless I have guests.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Think ORIJIN Bitters Is Really A Healthy Drink? / Please What Is The Effect Of Eating Noodles Everyday / Strange Cakes (viewer's Discretion Is Advised)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.