Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? (7879 Views)

Do American Or Europeans Inflate Government Contract Costs Like Us? / Any American Or British President/prime Minister Being An Ordained Priest? / Renounce Your American Citizenship Or Fight The Iraq War. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by bebe2(f): 11:04pm On Oct 22, 2011
Hi guys,
the question is how much is your foreign citizenship worth?
what would your current country of residence give you for you to move back home?
or, wat level of s_hit would you take from a govt or people to stay in their country?
wat's the breaking point before you decide to go home?
how much would u ask for if u were asked to go back to nigeria?
phew!!
your turn lets here it.
[/size][size=8pt]

i thot i should modify the post, my aim was to get people to reminiscence about past life and
see if u miss it. e.g wen watching daddy showkey on youtube i cant help laughing.

are there things in naija that u would like to have at your current location?

e.g like the eyo festival of lagos, would want it were u live.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Sunofgod(m): 11:15pm On Oct 22, 2011
To jump on a plane and fly back to naija does not equate to giving up your citizenship.

If it doesn't work out, you can fly back to the west anytime.

Unless your living there illegally.

Where are the childrens father? Does he not work?

Your obviously on benefits - and are worried about giving them up to move back to naija.

If you have skills and a decent education you will be ok - otherwise your jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Few people will be prepared to carry you in naija - unlike the 'West' where taxpayers are forced to carry you.

I know things are getting hard for people on the dole in the west - inflation is taking effect.

But beggars cant be choosers - you people need to learn how to adjust and embrace poverty.

Poverty in the 'West' is better for your children - at least the state will take care of the school fee's - up to secondary school level.

In naija, 4 lots of school fee's every term is not easy.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by CyberG: 11:17pm On Oct 22, 2011
Why not let your mum visit more often? If you are married, why not the guy help out more? Moving has its advantages and disadvantages and you just have to decide what is more important to take or not take that decision.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Parisgoodman(m): 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2011
i think ur main reason of going back 2 nigeria is because of ur kids, i.e if i'm right. permit me 2 ask, is ur pocket not fat enough to hire a nanny?(no offence). or mayb u wanna taste d  hardship ryt? u are highly welcome!
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by bebe2(f): 11:23pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ son of god, please spare me. it,s just a debate am putting out.
dont insult me or my family. my kid's is here, we have been together for 16 years.
did i say i was hungry?
am just saying i miss home, i miss my family.
please u seem to have a sour tongue.

i do work am on maternity and so does my hubby.
i dnt have to explain myself to you.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by bebe2(f): 11:28pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sun of god:

To jump on a plane and fly back to naija does not equate to giving up your citizenship.

If it doesn't work out, you can fly back to the west anytime.

Unless your living there illegally.

Where are the childrens father? Does he not work?

Your obviously on benefits - and are worried about giving them up to move back to naija.

If you have skills and a decent education you will be ok - otherwise your jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Few people will be prepared to carry you in naija - unlike the 'West' where taxpayers are forced to carry you.

I know things are getting hard for people on the dole in the west - inflation is taking effect.

But beggars cant be choosers - you people need to learn how to adjust and embrace poverty.

Poverty in the 'West' is better for your children - at least the state will take care of the school fee's - up to secondary school level.

In naija, 4 lots of school fee's every term is not easy.

i didnt say travel home. i meant give it up totally.
am sure u did comprehension at school.

i just read ur post again, do i sense a bit of jealousy?

[quote][/quote]
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Oct 22, 2011
The first is we are not all in the same boat as you are @Poster. If you are questioning the worth of your citizenship, it is unwise to assume everyone else is in your shoe.
Some people have actually made a home where they are and are content, to the point that they barely take calls from people from back in Nigeria or whatever company they migrated from. I know Nigerians who are so comfortable where they live that they rarely try to find out what is happening in Nigeria, let alone anywhere else planet earth but where they live and all.

You probably need to go talk to someone about your feelings of loneliness, or you probably should maybe link up with other women in your community/area who may be in need of a friend or two, like you seem to. If you must have Nigerians in your life, then maybe find a Nigerian Church or something. I would advice you work at making a home where you are, rather than having these ideas that the grass is greener on the other side where you ran from to begin with.

NOW, the question is how much is your foriegn citizenship worth?
what would your current country of residence give you for you to move back home?
or, wat level of s_hit would you take from a govt or people to stay in their country?
wat's the breaking point before you decide to go home?
how much would u ask for if u were asked to go back to nigeria?
phew!!
your turn lets here it.
As for me, I do not ask myself such questions, I don't really have any complaints, and I do not have any intentions of giving up what I have.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by bebe2(f): 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2011
Parisgoodman:

i think your main reason of going back 2 nigeria is because of your kids, i.e if i'm right. permit me 2 ask, is your pocket not fat enough to hire a nanny?(no offence). or mayb u wanna taste d  hardship ryt? u are highly welcome!

i am not moving back, i came in 2009 and nothing has changed.

am on maternity so am maily with them after school.

i have three boys 7-3 so its a bit of a handful.

my baby wud go to nursery.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Sunofgod(m): 11:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
bebe2:

@ son of god, please spare me. it,s just a debate am putting out.
dont insult me or my family. my kid's is here, we have been together for 16 years.
did i say i was hungry?
am just saying i miss home, i miss my family.
please u seem to have a sour tongue.

i do work am on maternity and so does my hubby.
i dnt have to explain myself to you.

You have 4 kids - and are on maternity?

Another one on the way? And probably picking up maternity pay, child benefit etc

I'm glad your not one of my employee's - you'd have cost me a fortune!!!

Anyway, put your kids first above your selfish needs.

If you miss your family - go on holiday to visit them - now would actually be a good time since you dont need to go to work everyday.

Your kids depending on the ghetto area you find your self in will get a better quality of education overseas.

Maybe consider exiting after the last born reaches university level - thats even if you can afford to send your kids to university in this day and age!!!
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by deor03(m): 11:35pm On Oct 22, 2011
@bebe2

Well, the decisions is hinged on what matters most to you . Do you want to choose being with Family and friends along with the stress that comes with living in Nigeria or Do you want to live abroad with all the advantages and forgo close family ties?

The 2 sides of the coin has it's advantages and disadvantages. Probably your children are not in the same shoes as you and your hubby.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by bebe2(f): 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2011
Sun of god:

You have 4 kids - and are on maternity?

Another one on the way? And probably picking up maternity pay, child benefit etc

I'm glad your not one of my employee's - you'd have cost me a fortune!!!

Anyway, put your kids first above your selfish needs.

If you miss your family - go on holiday to visit them - now would actually be a good time since you dont need to go to work everyday.

Your kids depending on the ghetto area you find your self in will get a better quality of education overseas.

Maybe consider exiting after the last born reaches university level - thats even if you can afford to send your kids to university in this day and age!!!

thanks for ur time.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by bebe2(f): 11:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The first is we are not all in the same boat as you are @Poster. If you are questioning the worth of your citizenship, it is unwise to assume everyone else is in your shoe.
Some people have actually made a home where they are and are content, to the point that they barely take calls from people from back in Nigeria or whatever company they migrated from. I know Nigerians who are so comfortable where they live that they rarely try to find out what is happening in Nigeria, let alone anywhere else planet earth but where they live and all.

You probably need to go talk to someone about your feelings of loneliness, or you probably should maybe link up with other women in your community/area who may be in need of a friend or two, like you seem to. If you must have Nigerians in your life, then maybe find a Nigerian Church or something. I would advice you work at making a home where you are, rather than having these ideas that the grass is greener on the other side where you ran from to begin with.

As for me, I do not ask myself such questions, and I do not have any intentions to giving up what I have.

thank you, i totally see sense in wat u saying.
we are not moving back, i do communicate with my family alot, the cold undecidedis not helping and my nieces and nephew's are all getting married and i wish i was there.
i do go to church (RCCG) normally am at work and very busy but being at home now, am very bored. am too much of a busy body to be bored. smiley

i just thot it would be a nice way to weigh up advantages and disadvantages of living far from home.
maybe am more attached to my family becos am a woman.
grin grin
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On Oct 23, 2011
bebe2:

thank you, i totally see sense in wat u saying.
we are not moving back, i do communicate with my family alot, the cold  undecidedis not helping and my nieces and nephew's are all getting married and i wish i was there.
i do go to church (RCCG) normally am at work and very busy but being at home now, am very bored. am too much of a busy body to be bored. smiley

i just thot it would be a nice way to weigh up advantages and disadvantages of living far from home.
maybe am more attached to my family becos am a woman.
grin grin
Being at home should not be boring at all. In fact, most people out there would trade places with you if they could get a break from having to look at the same four walls that have been looking at for years. I am fortunately to be one of the few who works from home, and wherever else I want to, and even I don't wait to get bored. I sign up for a new class(cooking, batting, shooting, etc.). You can take up a new hobby -- sewing, biking(my favorite) or even try to reinvent yourself by signing up for some college credits.

There is a lot to do out there, and the cold should not really be a hinderance anymore, especially if you have been here as long as you claim. I used to complain of the cold until I moved out to chicago -- then I actually got a taste of hash weather. But so far, I bike even in 40 degree weather to and fro my destination. Most of all this, as my mum likes to say, is "battle of the mind" you have to re-orient your thinking sometime and in some way. When I got to chicago, I had already established that I HATE THE COLD, so I started investigating clothing that helps one stay warm regardless of how hash it gets(but still remain stylish). This year I discovered hues leggings, and biking warmers.  My point is, one has to learn to be creative in order to weather life, and this applies anywhere you are.

I notice you mention that you are far away from home. Why is that? Isn't home supposed to be the place you have built for and with the ones you love(not the extended family and all that jazz as some like to claim)? Home is where the heart is, and if your heart is some place other than where you are with your children, and possibly your hobby, then I think you need to please go talk to someone about your feelings. And talking is a good thing as it helps speed up progress.  I am not married, and I don't have any kids but when I come home everyday, I know I am home. I hate to spend so many days away from my own bed -- that is how at home I feel where I am now. Now, if I move from here, my new place will be my new home. If the cold bugs you, put aside an addition $50 bucks or more each month to ensure your house/apartment is warm and toasty during the winter years. And you can enjoy every minute you spend in it. So, I think you should look into investing more of your emotions into enjoying where you are now, even as you hope for changes, whatever they may be in the future.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by arsenefc: 1:59am On Oct 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Being at home should not be boring at all. In fact, most people out there would trade places with you if they could get a break from having to look at the same four walls that have been looking at for years. I am fortunately to be one of the few who works from home, and wherever else I want to, and even I don't wait to get bored. I sign up for a new class(cooking, batting, shooting, etc.). You can take up a new hobby -- sewing, biking(my favorite) or even try to reinvent yourself by signing up for some college credits.

There is a lot to do out there, and the cold should not really be a hinderance anymore, especially if you have been here as long as you claim. I used to complain of the cold until I moved out to chicago -- then I actually got a taste of hash weather. But so far, I bike even in 40 degree weather to and fro my destination. Most of all this, as my mum likes to say, is "battle of the mind" you have to re-orient your thinking sometime and in some way. When I got to chicago, I had already established that I HATE THE COLD, so I started investigating clothing that helps one stay warm regardless of how hash it gets(but still remain stylish). This year I discovered hues leggings, and biking warmers.  My point is, one has to learn to be creative in order to weather life, and this applies anywhere you are.

I notice you mention that you are far away from home. Why is that? Isn't home supposed to be the place you have built for and with the ones you love(not the extended family and all that jazz as some like to claim)? Home is where the heart is, and if your heart is some place other than where you are with your children, and possibly your hobby, then I think you need to please go talk to someone about your feelings. And talking is a good thing as it helps speed up progress.  I am not married, and I don't have any kids but when I come home everyday, I know I am home. I hate to spend so many days away from my own bed -- that is how at home I feel where I am now. Now, if I move from here, my new place will be my new home. If the cold bugs you, put aside an addition $50 bucks or more each month to ensure your house/apartment is warm and toasty during the winter years. And you can enjoy every minute you spend in it. So, I think you should look into investing more of your emotions into enjoying where you are now, even as you hope for changes, whatever they may be in the future.

quoted for posterity.

Kobo, why are you not married? Lakiriboto or just dont know how to phock?

BTW, when was the last time you had s3x? I bet ya, if I handle you for a second, and I hit the spot,  I will make you a tsunami, doubt it? Lets give it a try
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 3:47am On Oct 23, 2011
Poster, if you have no connection, no job, dont bother.

Nigeria will eat you up faster than you can say gala.

Daycare is expensive, look online. I think their is actually a program that decreases daycare cost.

Dilemma of a single father. awwww. May God bless your types. And may your children remember your hard parenthood.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kilode1: 4:00am On Oct 23, 2011
You can take up a new hobby -- sewing, biking(my favorite) or even try to reinvent yourself by signing up for some college credits.

I just imagined Kobojunkie on a bike and I almost shyyte myself laughing  grin

Great advice she gave here BTW, I feel like the OP should pay for the advice. Need more people like her.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 4:03am On Oct 23, 2011
Nothing wrong with biking.

You feel wonderful when you're just riding away.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kilode1: 4:05am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nothing wrong with biking.

You feel wonderful when you're just riding away.

I agree. Biking is great, everyone should try it. But KJ on a bike cracked me up.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kobojunkie: 4:27am On Oct 23, 2011
Kilode?!:

I just imagined Kobojunkie on a bike and I almost shyyte myself laughing  grin

Great advice she gave here BTW, I feel like the OP should pay for the advice. Need more people like her.

lol . . . . Well, I don't have the build of the average nigerian woman or man . . . so no need to laugh. I am NORMAL. On the other hand, biking actually helps get rid of that huge gunk most people carry around with them, so I would definitely encourage anyone looking to loose those stubborn pounds, to get on a bike. I ride about 40 miles a week, and that is more than most people get in the gym, in a month.  It is fun way of keeping in shape, and getting around. Plus, we have a great biking community here in Chicago, so Biking is COOL. Many of the folks I meet on my way out each day, bike regularly to their works downtown -- rain, snow or shine.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kilode1: 5:01am On Oct 23, 2011
^
40Miles a week??  shocked

Damn! Can I bring you to Lagos to teach all these orobokibos over here. 40Mi on a bike?

No wonder, you def can't look like the average Nigerian. Bet you can't look like the average American too. Heard some folks drive to the next house just to pick mails  embarassed

I Like our orobos Here though but, it won't hurt to have bike routes from Ikeja to VI. All these chilling at the back of the car, not good at all.

Ojo Madueke proposed something like that years ago.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Oct 23, 2011
More people, by the year, become health conscious here, and with the high costs at the gas station . . . . it makes more and more sense to switch over, especially when you realise the benefits of it. Chicago, for one has seen an increase in biker population. I remember sometime ago, it was mostly caucasians riding around, now you see lots of people, even in the black community embracing the lifestyle.

Not all bikers do so in order to loose weight. I have seen some chunky dudes around,  and they ain't loosing weight. I mean they are mostly toned but that is about it. The health benefits are undeniable. It is easier on the knee for those who may already have knee issues. And it is a good way to weave around all that traffic. I would definitely ship a couple of bikes down to Nigeria for my next trip if bike paths where installed. But I think it would take more than bike paths to get people to drive more carefully and respect people on bikes.

Some days we ride about 20-25 miles for the fun of it. We have a couple of gatherings here each month where bikers, bike around Chicago neighbourhoods. On one particular one in August, I rode 43 miles in one day (from 7 am - 11am that sunday). It was awesome and even more awesome that some parents brought their kids along on the ride. This is an awesome way of getting to know where you live and enjoying the view. I even thought one of my Nigerian friends, and she now bikes to work too.

http://fourstarbiketour.org/routesandtiming
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I HATE THE COLD, so I started investigating clothing that helps one stay warm regardless of how hash it gets(but still remain stylish). This year I discovered hues leggings, and biking warmers.  My point is, one has to learn to be creative in order to weather life, and this applies anywhere you are.

The only creativity you need is to accept Fstranger's request and stop shopping for warm leggings.
Maybe he can wean you away from endless loop of meaningless arguments.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 23, 2011
Gas price is one of the reason why I learned to ride a bike.

Best decision of my life! kiss
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:25am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

[b]Gas price is one of the reason why I learned to ride a bike.[/b]Best decision of my life! kiss

Yeah! At what age!!
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:26am On Oct 23, 2011
Aigbofa:

Yeah! At what age!!

I just learned to less than a month ago (September). Took me less than a week. I almost gave up tho, to stay balanced is tricky grin
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I just learned to less than a month ago (September). Took me less than a week. I almost gave up tho, to stay balanced is tricky grin

Are you serious? grin grin Did you learn with a tricycle? grin grin grin

Just kidding! grin
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 23, 2011
Nah, we have a lot of hills around here, just go down one a couple of times.
As funny as that it sounds, I wanted to get a tricycle.

Can you ride?  angry tongue
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:32am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nah, we have a lot of hills around here, just go down one a couple of times.
As funny as that it sounds, I wanted to get a tricycle.

Can you ride? angry tongue

Of course.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 23, 2011
For where? Naija wey dem go bounce you from one corner of the road to another? Iro lo n pa undecided
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:36am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

For where? Naija wey dem go bounce you from one corner of the road to another? Iro lo n pa undecided

LOL

It's not that hard, you know. A little tricky at first, but after bruising your knees a few times, you get used to it.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 23, 2011
LOL imagining you on a bike actually got me laffing. Funny. You seem like person wey go never touch that kinda thing. Anywaz sha.
Re: Give Up Your American Or European Citizenship? by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

LOL imagining you on a bike actually got me laffing. Funny. You seem like person wey go never touch that kinda thing. Anywaz sha.

That is not true. I'm quite active but not fanatical like Kobojunkie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Maritime Workers Union Of Nigeria Shut Ports Operations Nationwide / Has Oduduwa, Restructing, Resource Control Left With Nnamdi Kanu / No Going Back On Election Boycott — IPOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.