Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Gotv Launched In Nigeria - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Gotv Launched In Nigeria (45745 Views)

Gotv Problem (Many Missing Channels) / Dstv Gotv Now In Lagos / Which Is Better Between Gotv Africa And Startimes In Nigeria(Ibadan)? (2) (3) (4)

Gotv Launched In Nigeria by amigoes(m): 7:10pm On Oct 24, 2011
Multichoice launched Gotv In Nigeria.

*21 stations
*NGN 1000 per month.
*Latest DVB-T2 technology
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by lovala(m): 7:18pm On Oct 24, 2011
Make dem launch am too for Cameroon, den I think say I go comot eye for underground moves.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by doyyen: 10:49am On Nov 11, 2011
Whoa! GOtv now in Nigeria. Great things are happening in this country. with just a thousand naira, you've access to 21+ channels. i think is reasonable. pls spread this goddy to other cities.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by Ibaku(m): 6:18am On Nov 14, 2011
Nonsence
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by twinskenny(m): 9:46am On Nov 14, 2011
list the channels first before, full of local channels i guess
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by King411(m): 8:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
We have GOTV here in Zambia,it was launched in July, channel list is as follows : Africa magic +,magic world,e.tv africa,E! entertainment,sonymax,style network,zone reality,select sport,aljazeera,bbc world,eNews,discovery world,disney jnr,nickelodeon,channel O,one gospel,tbn,day star and 2 of our local channels (znbc and znbc 2), there are also 2 channels which are on test transmission.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by King411(m): 9:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
By the way,its $7 per month.

Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by King411(m): 9:27pm On Nov 14, 2011
By the way,its $7 per month.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 10:45am On Nov 15, 2011
looks like multichoice is finally trying to find an answer to startimes wink
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by amigoes(m): 1:03pm On Nov 15, 2011
its direct competition no doubt, hopefully the consumers will have the last laugh sha.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by amigoes(m): 1:15pm On Nov 15, 2011
GOtv just introduced another bouquet (GOtv Plus)  priced at NGN1,800.00 with these extra channels:

-Nat Geo Wild
-MTV base
-SET Sony Entertainment Television
-CNN

Plus the usual Local Channels on their first bouquet:

-NTA +
-AIT
-Lagos TV
-Silverbird

**29 channels NGN1,800
  **25 channels NGN1,000
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by tivta(m): 7:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
When shall we get it lagos? I have since abandoned my startimes. Startimes messed up when they included non english channels in thier package.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by amigoes(m): 6:08pm On Nov 17, 2011
Obviously, they are not really serious, their main aim is to pull the rug off Startimes feet, halt or reduce their market share or how do you explain a situation whereby they commenced operation in Ibadan over a month ago and they are yet to begin test transmission in Lagos.
Sources said: they are still working on obtaining frequencies and setting up networks in Lagos and other cities.

The only thing going for them is their 'content' and perhaps 'resources'.
I guess trouncing Startimes wont be that difficult, unless Startimes can initiate a price war.
Whichever way, the consumers should be better off.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 8:32am On Nov 18, 2011
trust the chinese to step up to the plate. they are very good when it comes to

price wars. let the tango begin! grin
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:13pm On Nov 30, 2011
cnn versus Aljazeera, France 24, Bbc, and CCTV

Nat Geo versus Nature/History channel

the africa magic + has its obvious attractions to naija pple tho its not the regular africa magic is it?

more local stations on startimes

the other stations are present on both.

setanta offers more non premier league football than Gotv. as a whole there are more club channels and replay matches of all leagues on startimes, Setanta and MCS

startimes on a whole is about 38 useful channels excluding the useless chinese language ones and french one

personally, i really do not feel its better than startimes.

how much does GOtv cost to get? startimes is presently almost free, if not free with the end of the year promo.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:51pm On Dec 01, 2011
plus startimes is removing the wack stations. they replaced one with kennis music channel

they testing ben tv, nigezie, and a full yoruba movie station called orisun amongst others

game on
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by tivta(m): 9:20pm On Dec 02, 2011
I still prefer to have gotv. Sonymax beats mgm any day and time. Gotv launch your service in lagos
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by benabbey(m): 5:41pm On Dec 03, 2011
Startime just increase price for lagos customer 2k for all their channels other town remain the same price 1k. Startime is using NTA facility and they don't use dish so they have the capacity to compete
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2011
yeah, that's how it all starts: enter the market at rock bottom price, draw enough customer base
and when you're sure that you got them hooked, turn on the heat by raising prices.

dstv used the same method. and they're still doing it. its what marketing is all about. wink
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2011
oh so full bouquet for startimes is still 1 k outside lagos?
but how do they know ur location when u recharge?

if i take my smart card with me to ibadan and recharge it there, will it revert back in lagos? all dis dumb ideas sef.

@ george D na so naw, but still lower than dstv. those guys are not nice at all, and making an absolute killing from here
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by benabbey(m): 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2011
@ 4fuller I don't know how Startime program their chinko card. If somebody told me I may argue but it happen to me 1k for ibadan all station showed clean and cleared
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 9:39pm On Dec 09, 2011
4llerbuntu:

@ george D na so naw, but still lower than dstv. those guys are not nice at all, and making an absolute killing from here

well, like i said before dstv started that way and now look how peeps are having to pay through their nose to view that same channels? so don't expect startimes price to remain as low as this for long.

talking of dstv, anyone notice how they seem to target the nigerian market with their programming?

seems to me their biggest revenue comes from here outside south africa.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by pofolo(m): 10:03pm On Dec 09, 2011
@ George D,
u r absolutely right, dstv subscriber base in Nigeria is more than d whole of rest of Africa.
Nigeria to them if just a good market, seen as mere counted figures n not human,people or being.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 4:51pm On Dec 10, 2011
pofolo,
i thought it was only me that noticed it. look at supersport 3, almost exclusively nigerian presenters.

look at the so-called african magic, nigerian presenters as well for 'africa awake' and the home movies are almost all nigerian with occasional ghanian titles. now mtv base has joined with basket mouth being invited for laughs. i think it doesn't take a genius to see what all this is pointing to.

a good business man will give priority to where his biggest profit is being made and that is what dstv is doing. and its the more reason why they would do anything to stamp out any competition here which is seen as a threat to their bounty revenue!
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by lovala(m): 8:09pm On Dec 10, 2011
U know George,
I had started thinking that either Multichoice or DSTV was owned by a Nigerian and specifically a yoruba (wo)man! No pun intended.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 8:44pm On Dec 10, 2011
lovala,
it begs to reason no doubt. 'africa magic yoruba'! can you imagine?!

just how indiscreet can they get? they might as well turn dstv to a wholly owned nigerian company! grin

but of course the peeps in south africa are not interested in doing that. they're only interested in our naira.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by pofolo(m): 9:13pm On Dec 10, 2011
@ lovola,
all dat r gimics.
There is an African adage that says  '' a livestock duely fully fed by d owner doesnt conote how nice/caring d owner is, but for d simple truth of wanting a good MEATY meal''.

Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by lovala(m): 1:27am On Dec 11, 2011
Thus it may be that our own very people are behind the high cost of these bouquets when all along we may be hanging the blame on the SA fellas. kai mana!
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 12:45pm On Dec 11, 2011
lovala,
greed can make some people sell their own blood brothers. so no surprise here.
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by benabbey(m): 1:16pm On Dec 11, 2011
Capitalism
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by buddie69: 3:35pm On Jan 24, 2012
The good thing that we should celebrate is the Chinese that are forcing these people down, sooner or later their dstv will come down to N1000 with such competitors like these, although some factors could be responsible for their unreasonable tariff, like our usual corrupt leaders, electricity and some other factors, however many thanks to star times .
Re: Gotv Launched In Nigeria by GeorgeD1(m): 10:00am On Jan 25, 2012
i just saw dstv advert in the guardian of yesterday. premium bouquet: 10k grin

Trend Tv The Best Alternative To Dstv / K / How To Unlock Dstv.