Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks (9551 Views)

The Difference Between A Haram Relationship And Love / Is Riba (Usury) Forbidden In Islam? / Opening An Account With Riba Based Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:25am On Oct 27, 2023
Summary of answer
Islamic banks are based on permissible transactions such as selling, buying, profit sharing, partnerships and other Islamically-acceptable forms of investment. The interest-based system on which commercial banks are based is a prohibited system that is based on lending and borrowing with Riba.

Praise be to Allah.

How Riba-based banks work
The interest-based system on which commercial banks are based is a prohibited system that is based on lending and borrowing with Riba. The bank lends money to the customer with interest, and the customer who deposits money in the bank lends this money to the bank in return for interest. Loans with interest constitute Riba , regarding which there is scholarly consensus that it is prohibited.

How Islamic banks work
Islamic banks are based on permissible transactions such as selling, buying, profit sharing, partnerships and other Islamically-acceptable forms of investment, in addition to the fees charged for wire transfer, benefiting from variations in currency exchange, and currency exchange.

Difference between Riba-based Banks and Islamic Banks
There follows a straightforward example to explain the difference between Riba-based transactions and Islamically-acceptable transactions, and how the bank benefits from doing either of the two transactions:

If the customer wants to put his money to good use and make it grow, then he deposits it in a savings account in the Riba-based bank , and the bank allocates to him a known percentage of interest, whilst guaranteeing his capital. This in fact is a Riba-based loan, a loan from the customer to the bank. The benefit to the bank is how it uses the deposited money , which it lends to another customer in return for interest to be paid by the customer. Thus the bank borrows and lends, and benefits from the difference.

As for Islamic banks, one of the ways in which they invest is to take money from the customer and invest it in a permissible business, or to set up a housing project and the like, on the basis that it will give the customer a percentage of the profits, and the bank – as the entity that does the actual work – will also have a percentage of the profits. Thus the bank benefits from the percentage that it takes of the profits generated by the project, and its share of the profits may be much greater than what Riba-based banks collect from Riba, which is prohibited. But in the case of profit-sharing there is an element of risk, and the bank has to try hard to select a project that is profitable and monitor it until it bears fruit.

The difference between the Riba-based bank and the Islamic bank in these examples is the difference between prohibited Riba-based loans and Islamically-acceptable profit-sharing in which the customer may lose his money, because there is no guaranteed protection of his capital, but if he makes a profit, this gain is a lawful wealth.

The point is that the Islamic bank has many acceptable ways of making a profit, and hence these banks have begun to grow and flourish. In fact some non-Muslim countries are trying to apply the Islamic banking system, because it makes a profit and avoids much of the mischief that stems from the Riba-based system and is the cause of ruin and loss.

Types of Riba-based transactions
Riba-based transactions are of many types, such as lending and borrowing with interest; currency exchange (selling one currency for another) and deferring hand-to-hand exchange; exchanging gold for gold in different quantities, or with the exchange to happen later; transactions which basically boil down to being Riba-based loans, such as discounted bills, savings accounts, investment certificates with returns or prizes, charging penalties for late payments in the case of sales by installments or withdrawing cash using a credit card.

And Allah knows best

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/128923/difference-between-riba-based-banks-and-islamic-banks

9 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by adesegun121(m): 9:55am On Oct 27, 2023
Noted

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by ClimaxHerbalixt(m): 9:58am On Oct 27, 2023
Baarakallohu fihi

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Smartdoctor: 10:03am On Oct 27, 2023
I actually put over 2m on my new jaiz account and I noticed this jaiz bank is no different from other criminal banks in Nigeria as this guys charge me 50 for every transaction that comes to my account irrespective of the amount. And the worse part is that, this jaiz bank will charge me 100 for recharge card I purchase using my account.
I've returned my money to my formal Biko.
JazakumuLLAHU Khair and jumaat Mubarak

23 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by justtruth88miSt(f): 10:03am On Oct 27, 2023
May Allah guide us aright

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by mu2sa2: 10:09am On Oct 27, 2023
A God ordained system will always be perfect and just. The interest-based banking is man created and founded on greed, selfishness and wickedness. The difference between shariah-oriented banking and interest-based banking is like the difference between good and evil or light and darkness.

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Mccullum: 10:13am On Oct 27, 2023
The Islamic bank still having issue on financial capacity, that has led them to some how imitating all these riba banking system.

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by aktolly54(m): 10:32am On Oct 27, 2023
First and foremost, am a Christian and Jesus is lord.

I hope we christian got christian bank too, at least it will benefit people of God with no or low interest rest. Sometimes I got sad when I see good christian who is poor. At least if there is opportunity to get a loan with no interest rate and some measurements are put in place because people can be funny at times but it shouldn't stop someone helping the poor which God will be happy in heaven and rewards

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by beardedboy(m): 10:39am On Oct 27, 2023
Smartdoctor:
I actually put over 2m on my new jaiz account and I noticed this jaiz bank is no different from other criminal banks in Nigeria as this guys charge me 50 for every transaction that comes to my account irrespective of the amount. And the worse part is that, this jaiz bank will charge me 100 for recharge card I purchase using my account.

I've been using Jaiz for years and honestly, I can't relate with your predicament. My experience with them has been great.

They even give you a monthly share of the profit they make from your funds. Yes, it's a neglible amount but it's still there.

12 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by HAH: 10:47am On Oct 27, 2023
There is nothing like Islamic Banking in Islam it was just a creation in 1963, haram and halal can only be in Qur'an or Hadiths not some ulamas consensus, and what they said is interest looks like usury which is prohibited in Qur'an but looking like is not same as the same thing, whisky looks like water but are the the same ?

Banking is business and there is time value of money what we call Islamic Banking is just some people using Islam for profit, most of the things out Islamic banks do is similar to what the conventional banks do they just creat an Islamic name for it to deceive the gullible, banking is business and every business is expected to make profit in this case is called interest, more so the usury in Islam is on gold and silver not paper or computer money as that was not mentioned.

May Allah guide and protect us all

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Banjoramos(m): 11:00am On Oct 27, 2023
Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 275-276
الَّذِينَ يَأْكُلُونَ الرِّبَا لَا يَقُومُونَ إِلَّا كَمَا يَقُومُ الَّذِي يَتَخَبَّطُهُ الشَّيْطَانُ مِنَ الْمَسِّ ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّهُمْ قَالُوا إِنَّمَا الْبَيْعُ مِثْلُ الرِّبَا وَأَحَلَّ اللَّهُ الْبَيْعَ وَحَرَّمَ الرِّبَا فَمَن جَاءَهُ مَوْعِظَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّهِ فَانتَهَىٰ فَلَهُ مَا سَلَفَ وَأَمْرُهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَمَنْ عَادَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ أَصْحَابُ النَّارِ هُمْ فِيهَا خَالِدُونَ

Those who eat Riba (usury) will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaitan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: "Trading is only like Riba (usury)," whereas Allah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba (usury). So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Riba (usury) shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allah (to judge); but whoever returns [to Riba (usury)], such are the dwellers of the Fire - they will abide therein.

يَمْحَقُ اللَّهُ الرِّبَا وَيُرْبِي الصَّدَقَاتِ وَاللَّهُ لَا يُحِبُّ كُلَّ كَفَّارٍ أَثِيمٍ

Allah will destroy Riba (usury) and will give increase for Sadaqat (deeds of charity, alms, etc.) And Allah likes not the disbelievers, sinners.

May Allah grant us understanding and make us among those who take heed. Aameen

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by pinkyruledworld(m): 11:12am On Oct 27, 2023
Smartdoctor:

If the amount coming into your account is 10k and above. All naija banks deduct 50naira. Its is a cbn policy. What most banks do is, they dont make it reflect, so na why you no know. Pay a close attention to a couple inbound transactions if you have the time and you would realize this.

8 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by FiftyFifty(m): 11:38am On Oct 27, 2023
@ Op Jazakallahu Khaira.

Barka da Jumu'ah to my Muslim brothers and Sisters.

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Ajibbbbbb: 12:08pm On Oct 27, 2023
I'm learning
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by sunna4u: 12:28pm On Oct 27, 2023
This piece of information is very valuable
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by sunna4u: 12:28pm On Oct 27, 2023
aktolly54:
First and foremost, am a Christian and Jesus is lord.

I hope we christian got christian bank too, at least it will benefit people of God with no or low interest rest. Sometimes I got sad when I see good christian who is poor. At least if there is opportunity to get a loan with no interest rate and some measurements are put in place because people can be funny at times but it shouldn't stop someone helping the poor which God will be happy in heaven and rewards

I am a Muslim. But I liked your post.
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by WiszyFraud: 1:02pm On Oct 27, 2023
Smartdoctor:

The ₦50 being deducted on every transaction is the FG’s stamp duty charge which is applicable to every bank in Nigeria.. If the transaction is below 10k, you won’t be deducted.

You should report to the bank’s customer service if you notice any additional charges when you recharge.

I’m an atheist, but i can confidently tell you that Jaiz bank is a really great bank to save your funds with.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by ShoeGetSize: 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2023
Even in Saudi Arabia their Central Bank regulates interest rates.

Saudi owes 200 billion dollars to countries like China and USA and they are paying interest on the loans they borrowed.

mu2sa2:
A God ordained system will always be perfect and just. The interest-based banking is man created and founded on greed, selfishness and wickedness. The difference between shariah-oriented banking and interet-based banking is like the difference between good and evil or light and darkness.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Hassanmaye(m): 1:20pm On Oct 27, 2023
Rashduct4luv:
Summary of answer
Islamic banks are based on permissible transactions such as selling, buying, profit sharing, partnerships and other Islamically-acceptable forms of investment. The interest-based system on which commercial banks are based is a prohibited system that is based on lending and borrowing with Riba.

Jazakallah

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by jimmynauty: 2:21pm On Oct 27, 2023
what constitute PROBI ITED and PERMISSIBLE?

Be explicit.
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by nitt: 3:09pm On Oct 27, 2023
beardedboy:

I've been using Jaiz for years and honestly, I can't relate with your predicament. My experience with them has been great.

They even give you a monthly share of the profit they make from your funds. Yes, it's a neglible amount but it's still there.

Me too.

I don't know which Jaiz bank he banks with
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by aktolly54(m): 4:38pm On Oct 27, 2023
sunna4u:

I am a Muslim. But I liked your post.

thank you. Sometimes God won't share it equally. Once God bless you, try spread the wealth by empowering people around you. And don't add any interest on the empowerment thing. Just ask them to repay exactly amount you pay. Ensure they pen down some agreement because some people can be funny but ingrate people should stop our good heart to functions very well.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Expanse2020(m): 11:09pm On Oct 27, 2023
beardedboy:

Don't mind him he wants to start false propaganda.,..Jaiz is better
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by Smartdoctor: 8:47am On Oct 28, 2023
WiszyFraud:

The ₦50 being deducted on every transaction is the FG’s stamp duty charge which is applicable to every bank in Nigeria.. If the transaction is below 10k, you won’t be deducted.

You should report to the bank’s customer service if you notice any additional charges when you recharge.

I’m an atheist, but i can confidently tell you that Jaiz bank is a really great bank to save your funds with.

Would do just that. Thanks 👍
Re: Difference Between Riba-based Banks And Islamic Banks by oluku86: 10:59am On Oct 28, 2023
Smartdoctor:
jaiz bank is not different from conventional bank in their modus operandi, imagine someone invested 7 million for 90 Days only for him to be paid dividend of 101k. The worse of it all was when it's Twitter account was contacted over the transaction, without any enquiry as to which business was the money invested in, as if there's a fixed percentage for any money invested for mudorabah, he replied the dividend of 101k was correct. There I just concluded that there's is no shariah compliance in their way of operation at all. No difference from conventional bank

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Alleged Satanic Verses / 10 Things To Do Before Ramadan. / I Am Beginning To Hate My Husband, Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.