Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,995 members, 7,845,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour (10031 Views)

Nigerian Woman Arrested In US For Striping Unclad In Front Of Police (Photos) / Oluwadamilare Baiyewu, Nigerian Rapist Jailed For 24 Years In The UK / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Trafficking In Indonesia (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by lastpage: 12:14am On Oct 27, 2011
Recovered Post!

While a lot of people will be "very quick" to comment negatively about this woman, as usual, l will try to see things "NOT JUST FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE ACCUSER" but also from all other perspectives that have relevance to this matter!  wink

Having said that, let me state a-priori, that l condemn "human servitude and inhuman treatment of another human".

Lets see what l mean by the first statement:

1.) The two women involved were 17 and 19yrs old.
Can anyone make a woman of 19yrs old (even 16yrs) to do whatever she does NOT want to do, using physically force?
How much more if that "physical force" is being exercised by a "42 year old woman"!

Who do you think is stronger? The 42yr old who is passed her prime or the 19yr old in the prime of her youth and energy? Just imagine a 42yr old man trying to force you to eat vomit, when you were 19yrs?
Am passed that age but l know that when l was that age, l was rippling with muscle and strength, very close to the peak of my youth, which generally occurs between 19 and 26.
Do you wonder why the best players in the world also fall within this age category (as physically demanding as football and most other sports are)? The answer is simply this: That is the prime of youth, strength, agility and all the good things we loose as we get older in life.

In essence, that part of the story is suspect. She might have been aggressive and threatening, in the usual Nigerian way (Loud-mouthed woman throwing curses here and there or even throwing one or two "shakara slaps"; the sort a 50yr old father will throw to his 25yr old son and he would not respond, out of respect otherwise, the son will simply break all his bones!)

2.) This story is very similar and mirrors that of Igbo Boys who travel to Lagos. to serve their Motor-Spare Part selling Boss.

No where were we told of "How this transfer to America was arranged
", in the story.
I am sure she did not pick them on the street.
She went to their people and l have heard stories about how such things occur. It goes thus:

Poverty stricken family wants their daughter to seek the golden fleece in America.
They meet this affluent "Tokunbo Woman" who needs a "House-help" in America so she can have adequate time for her own "Work/Business" (we all know what a Nanny/child-minder costs in Western Countries).

In a situation of "Meeting of Minds and Interests", the affluent woman bears the cost of the travel arrangements and meets the needs of this young woman and her family: She takes their ward to America (a dream that she may not have been able to realize in  a life-time) and a lot of men/women have established themselves through this means, in foreign land.

On the other hand, the woman who invested money (Tickets, Visas, Accommodation, feeding and Upkeep) on this young "Maid-to-be", expects in return, that the lady would payback in-kind, by looking after her own kids.
A promise of schooling is usual dropped as part of the deal but that may prove tricky as the "Maid" is an illegal alien, in most cases and cannot be "fully exposed" to the "American system", as someone who is legally residing in the country. Thus, it may take years for the Maid to be integrated properly into the system, for her to begin to enjoy such public facilities as a public school.

Meanwhile, like every human relationship, friction may develop.

Maybe "Madam" was expecting too much. Maybe she was getting overly aggressive. She might even be the cruel type that maltreats people. She might be the type that uses the Maid as a slave to her own children in the sense of not setting a level playing field among her children and the maid. (I have heard of women who scold Maids, even when it was their own child that was in the wrong!)

On the other hand, a Maid of 19yrs old has needs, as a fully matured woman! She could even be an undergraduate when she left Nigeria. She may develop a relationship with a guy or lover, contrary to Madam's expectation! She may become arrogant, bordering on the "What did you even do for me sef" and she may start to act out to Madam. This is how "Things Fall Apart".

In all these, BOTH PARTIES have definitely "BREACHED THEIR UNWRITTEN CODE/AGREEMENT"!

How you might ask:
a.)The Maid cannot claim ignorance of what she was going to be doing in the U.S., before leaving Nigeria.

b.)She will be lying if she claimed she was tricked to the U.S 'cos we all know that the overriding interest on her mind, was how to get to America! And she knew why Madam was ready to splash out, to take her there (Or has Madam turn to father Christmas?)
c.) She knew that she was supposed to be in servitude to Madam (Like our Ibo boys would serve Oga in Lagos Spare-Part Market for 5yrs before gaining "independence" to start their own business: Both parties, if they kept to the agreement, BENEFITS!).
d.)Madam too did not tell her family that she would be Mal-treating her in America or making her live under dehumanizing conditions.
e.)GOING TO COURT TO SORT THINGS OUT WAS NEVER PART OF THE DEAL!

3.)Finally, let me bear on the morality of Madam's actions and that of the Maid's evidence:
Madam should have been a humane person, with the fear of God, knowing that it was "economic conditions" that made the Maid, to become a maid.  She should have treated her nicely, like she would want herself or her own daughter be treated. But, hell-no, she was the typical over-lording Nigerian Madam! Foul mouthed and wicked to the core.

The Maid should have remembered when she was "begging" to be accepted by Madam, to be taken to be her house Maid (House Helper would be a fair statement). She should have remembered that she promised "heaven and hell" to be a good girl, to be loyal and always obey Madam!

But like a Nigerian adage would say, "when the sick become healed, they quickly forget about the drugs and the Doctor who prescribed them!  grin (literally translated).

In cases like this (and l still remember the story of that Nigerian man-lover-Teenager whose mother was arrested and sentenced for abduction. i remember the role played by such man-lover-NGO's and how they coached such victims to say about ANYTHING that would get them sympathy from the judge and put the accused behind bars!).

This story is no different. I am sure Madam did some terrible things to the ladies  (slapping, verbal abuse, threats) but l am also convinced she did NOT force her to eat her Vomit! I am also sure she did not prevent them from bathing, for four years! Wetin!  shocked shocked

Again, lets assume she did not allow them to bath from the shower but they have to run water into a bucket, to bath. Pray me, what is wrong with that, for them to make it sound so horrific?
I have two showers in my house right now but l still decide occasionally, to use a bucket at times. WHY? The shower takes time, especially when l need to have a good bath in a hurry.
Two big buckets of warm water will just do me fine and in less than 7mins, l am in  and out, with a good shine to my kokoro! grin shocked

In all these, l think the maids have only dramatized this issue for selfish interests (with the prodding, help and insistence of the NGO's and "Defenders" they ran to, who also gets the benefit of the "PUBLICITY" that comes with such cases).

They have by their actions (directly or indirectly) been asked to "come and eat and ended up tying the hands of the person that invited them to the table",  I consider their behavior despicable and abhorring, just like that of their Madam!

They could have simply run-away and vanished into thin air. Madam would not have the liver to arrest them or do anything negative to them, knowing fully well that her "position in law" is precarious. That is why she simply went for a second Maid, when the first one "grew wings", rather than go after her.
They simply used "the situation" to their own advantage but in a way that completely destroyed the lives of their benefactor. (thats how l see the Madam for the word go).

Let me repeat that just like a lot of 'Spare-part boys or Chemist boy" have today become successful business owners, the same way, a lot of "House Helpers" taken abroad, like these women, have gone on to become something in life, without destroying their "Masters".

Whether this is an acceptable way of behavior or course of action, in the circumstances of the case, is left for everyone to judge but l have given my own personal opinion.

Lastpage

BTW: I can understand for those who cannot relate with my line of reasoning.
Its okay, lighten up and dont get abusive. Just state your own position, POLITELY.
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by Oba234: 3:05am On Oct 27, 2011
pure evil. I hope the rest of them doing this are caught and giving life imprisonment. Wicked people!
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by KacHemNaU(m): 7:10am On Oct 27, 2011
Amen to dat.in fact dey shud be hanged
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by kenjudy(m): 10:22am On Oct 27, 2011
i don't know what this world is turning to, may God help us all ooo, Amen!
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by cynthiafred67(f): 12:24pm On Oct 27, 2011
Oba234:

pure evil. I hope the rest of them doing this are caught and giving life imprisonment. Wicked people!

Amen
She go what she deserve
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by Peace20: 4:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
Na wao tings are hapenin!
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by CILondon: 4:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
LastPage, I read your long post. It is very interesting and has some good points but I think the main thing you are forgetting is this:

She was not sent to prison for refusing to let the girls use the shower,
she was sent to prison for refusing to let the girls LEAVE

Your employees/house helps/nannies/whatever should be free to leave your house the minute they want to. The minute you prevent them from leaving your house, you have comitted UNLAWFUL CAPTIVITY and that is equivalent to slavery.

How would you like it if you worked for a company(e.g retail, insurance, finance etc) and one day, for whatever reason you decided that you have had enough of the way your boss is treating you and you decide to walk out of the job. You get up, pick your coat and briefacse and start to walk out, but the manager won't let you leave. He physically prevents you from leaving and is keeping you captive in the office. Would you not be angry? Should that manager not go to jail for holding you captive? So what's the difference in this Bello case?
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by winwinx: 9:31am On Oct 28, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=301443
@last page smiley your narration and sense of reasoning in this matter is so professional.
I guess you have a dose of law attached to your wings.
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by lastpage: 12:49am On Nov 02, 2011
^^^^^ lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed wink
Tx!
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by Nobody: 12:11am On Feb 20, 2012
Senor Lastpage, I found your detailed response very joyful to read. Like you I do nto agree that Madame should have become a monster (I know she did) but the Girls could have left on their own freewill without bitting the hand that fed them, even if occasionally - lol
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by lastpage: 5:38am On Feb 20, 2012
@CILondon:
I also do not condone "Kidnapping" in any guise and l agree with you that everyone should be able and must be allowed to exercise their fundamental human rights to "Freedom of Movement".

Where l think we defer is that:
*You, conclude from the story, (and as claimed by the lady) that Madame held them hostage and they could not exercise their FHR to free movement.
On the other hand, l posit that if they truly wanted to leave (and therefore exercise that FHR to Free Movement), they could have done so and Madame would not have been able to stop them. Please refer to my quote below, from my earlier message.
They could have simply run-away and vanished into thin air. Madam would not have the liver to arrest them or do anything negative to them, knowing fully well that her "position in law" is precarious. That is why she simply went for a second Maid, when the first one "grew wings", rather than go after her.

It is only after and when they have made all efforts to leave (and Madame "actively" prevents them from leaving, for example by locking them up in a room or cellar) that they should claim "Forced labor".
Please put the whole story "into context", bearing in mind how it all started, the "motive" for bringing them around (willfully without coercion!) and the "end" (subsidiary protection and U.S citizenship) that the girls realized or gained! If you examine all these together, you will realize that the girls are actually "opportunists" who used and took advantage of their over-bearing Madame!

But to let her "end in jail for 11years" over this purpose is such a hideous manner, is unpardonable, in my own view.

Cheers.

Lastpage!

Respects, Senor Somorin. and winwinx.
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by Afam4eva(m): 11:45am On Feb 20, 2012
Why is this thread not on the front page?
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by lastpage: 8:24am On Feb 24, 2012
^^^^Because "Moderator" will not allow it!

What can you do about that? tongue tongue

---------------------------------------------------------

Just joking, l guess the whole exercise of what gets to "front-page" and what does not, is shrouded in misery!  lipsrsealed wink
Dont also forget, Seun "owns" this blog and he who owns the Piper, dictates the Tune!

Lastpage!
Re: A Nigerian Woman Sentenced To 11 Years In U.s. Prison For Forced Labour by SELFWORTH: 8:43pm On Dec 06, 2012
odiaero:

So Nigeria is now hell?, na wao

Yes . Nigeria is hell on earth!

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Happened To Girl Who Tried To Steal Yahoo Boys Phone / Protest At Abia State College Of Health Technology Over Unpaid Salaries / His Experience At Sambisa Forest (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.