Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,471 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System (15883 Views)

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! / FG Dumps 9-3-4 For 1-6-3-3-4 Educational Structure / How Would You Rate The 6-3-3-4 Education System In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Sunofgod(m): 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2011
Indications have emerged that the Federal Government has dropped the 9-3- 4 system of education.

This educational system took stakeholders over three years to plan and work out its implementation strategy.

The system, which purportedly kicked off in 2009, had the components of basic, technical and vocational inputs, which pupils were expected to complete in the first nine years before proceeding on a career path in the next three years of secondary education.

Education Minister, Prof. Uqayyatu Rufa'i, last Tuesday, proposed to the National Assembly (NASS), the need to revert to the old system of 6-3-3-4, but with a modification that would include Early Childhood Education (ECE).

The new system, according to her, was sequel to the recommendations of the Presidential Task Team on Education, which President Goodluck Jonathan has already approved.

Rufa'i said the new system would now be known as 1-6- 3-3-4, signifying that the first one year of education would be for a child of five years.

The six-year component would be for primary education, while the other three, three and four years would be for junior and senior secondary and tertiary, respectively.

'A more current National Policy on Education that captures all the sectorial policies, vis-a-vis, gender, ECE, ICT, HIV and AIDS and the new policies arising from the fallout of the Presidential Task Team on Education recommendations, are some of the tasks ahead,' the minister said.

She said the best way to manage the Federal Unity Colleges (FUCs), must be sought out without losing the vision of the forefathers who established them.

She said all these issues, and many others, need proper articulation for implementation, saying that the activities of the National Teachers' Institute (NTI) Kaduna would be refocused for practicing teachers to maximise their re-training benefits.

A 30-man committee, with renowned educationist, Pai Ubanya as technical adviser and the minister as chairperson, to ensure the implementation of the new system of education, was on Tuesday set up in Abuja.

The committee is expected to among other things, update the National Policy on Education (NPE) and amend all outdated laws of the Ministry of Education.

It would also re-structure the functions of the ministry, its departments, with specific attention to ensuring that only professionals were heads of departments and parastatals.

Other areas which the committee is expected to work include expansion of the Universal Basic Education Commission's mandate to cover secondary education, amend the UBEC Act to incorporate all levels of pre tertiary education.

Sequel to this, the committee would also address the problems of Federal Unity Colleges (FUCs), relocate them under the management of UBEC, but this would only take place after the amendment of the UBEC Act.

Rufa'i said the main function of this committee is to propose modalities for the smooth actualisation of the PTTE recommendations, saying that its membership of the committee was based on the need to have tested and trusted individuals who could deliver

http://allafrica.com/stories/201110250939.html
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by emiye(m): 10:21pm On Oct 25, 2011
another bollocks
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Sunofgod(m): 10:25pm On Oct 25, 2011
emiye:

another bollocks

Said so eloquently . . . . . cheesy
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 25, 2011
With due respect, I think GEJ is seriously confused. I saw him vehemently condemn d 6-3-3-4 system on TV, saying "it is d worst thing to happen to d Nigerian Educational System", now he's added 1 year to it and going back to it.
The day he made this unfortunate statement was the day Prof Fafunwa (the originator of the 6-3-3-4) was in Abuja for a lecture, the poor professor didn't survive that week. I am almost certain the verbal abuse from then Mr 'Acting President' would have added to his early demise.
Sad, very sad.
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by ektbear: 11:03pm On Oct 25, 2011
What difference does it make?

Does it matter whether you do 1 6 3 3 4, 6 3 3 4 or the old 9 3 4?
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Kobojunkie: 11:17pm On Oct 25, 2011
WOW !! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Imagine how many millions of dollars this scheme has helped some STEAL OOO!!!
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by OAM4J: 12:18am On Oct 26, 2011
And it took 3 years to work this out? I wonder how many years it will take to implement it.

So 3 years were spent with fed allocations to decide putting 1 year before the existing 6 3 3 4.
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by ektbear: 8:10am On Oct 26, 2011
^-- Lol

I still don't even see how this stuff matters. All the same thing. Quality is what is important, not how you divvy up the years.
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 26, 2011
Omo this thing don dey confuse me o. 9-3-4, 6-3-3-4, 1-6-3-3-4, omo this thing don dey turn formation. We go soon hear 4-4-2. Rubbish. . .
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by ektbear: 9:17am On Oct 26, 2011
soon we will even see 4 1 9 4 education system

[size=1pt]bad joke, i know[/size]
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 26, 2011
angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Kx: 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2011
Is the 1 6 3 3 4 going to turn the flooded classrooms to model classrooms?
Is it going to provide textbooks and reading materials to the pupils and students?
Is it going to pay the N18k minimum wage to the teachers?
Is the revised 6334 system what the edu sector needs more than the enabling environment for teaching and learning?
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by lurkee(f): 1:25pm On Oct 26, 2011
Sun of god:

Indications have emerged that the Federal Government has dropped the 9-3- 4 system of education.

Rufa'i said the new system would now be known as 1-6- 3-3-4, signifying that the first one year of education would be for a child of five years.

The six-year component would be for primary education, while the other three, three and four years would be for junior and senior secondary and tertiary, respectively.

Before they say that the age of starting education is 5years, they should make sure it is 1-6-3-3-4 and not 1-6-3-3-(4+x) where x is determined by the amount of time spent as home due to strikes, political violence and whatnot.

Like someone said, how is going to improve the quality of education? That 3 years they spent coming up with the "new system" by diving the 9 to 6 and 3 and then adding one year extra, they should have used the salary of the committee members to increase the teacher's wages and provide textbooks to poorer students. Honestly, the priority of our politicians amazes me.  angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 26, 2011
Confusion everywhere, what is the difference between them?
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by jaybee3(m): 1:30pm On Oct 26, 2011
odiaero:

Confusion everywhere, what is the difference between them?
9-3-4 = 16 yrs
1-6-3-3-4 = 17yrs

Clear difference grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Babamide(m): 1:31pm On Oct 26, 2011
Is that our problem in this country? Educational system? Why not 6 3 3 1 4?
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 26, 2011
Confusion everywhere, what is the difference between them? well, am going to test the latest formation on my PS3 FIFA-2012 and see how it goes, since nigerian education system is now about formations undecided
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Odunnu: 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2011
Xavier.:

With due respect, I think GEJ is seriously confused. I saw him vehemently condemn d 6-3-3-4 system on TV, saying "it is d worst thing to happen to d Nigerian Educational System", now he's added 1 year to it and going back to it.
The day he made this unfortunate statement was the day Prof Fafunwa (the originator of the 6-3-3-4) was in Abuja for a lecture, the poor professor didn't survive that week. I am almost certain the verbal abuse from then Mr 'Acting President' would have added to his early demise.
Sad, very sad.
Bad mouth
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 26, 2011
Outdated old  leaders that are not intune.
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by maxygirl(f): 2:26pm On Oct 26, 2011
what happens tp pre-nursery and nursery?
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by ezme(m): 2:28pm On Oct 26, 2011
so no more graduates younger than 21? cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by ezme(m): 2:32pm On Oct 26, 2011
Babies are now to spend the first five years at home chilling? undecided cool undecided
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 26, 2011
ezme:

Babies are now to spend the first five years at home chilling? undecided cool undecided

You need to dsign your own programme,its seems they are not thinking of producing people that will develop the country,they always worship foreigners to come and build the roads,explore the oil and refine for them.When they are sick,they travel to india .
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by marcus1234: 2:41pm On Oct 26, 2011
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Dyt(f): 2:43pm On Oct 26, 2011
awon oniyeye dede
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by chamber2(m): 2:49pm On Oct 26, 2011
1-6-3-3-4

Everybody wants his/her name immortalised.

Mrs. Minister wants to be remembered for introducing this nonsense.

Why is it that our professors are not innovative? Copy and paste everywhere.
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by richidinho(m): 2:50pm On Oct 26, 2011
slowpoke in Govt
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Baawaa(m): 2:58pm On Oct 26, 2011
[/b]Babies are now to spend the first five years at home chilling? [b]

If u lik let ur own babies spend 5 years @ home chilling,wen their own babies start creche @ age 1,
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by J20: 3:02pm On Oct 26, 2011
Will this make education better in Nigeria? Is the problem with our education caused by the system used?
Let our leaders stop chasing shadows and tackle reality. sad
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by saintohia: 3:06pm On Oct 26, 2011
The problem with Nigerians is talking all year round with any action.

The 1-6-3-3-4 approx. = 6-3-3-4 approx. = 9-3-4, we're yet to have a govt that can think out of the box. The only solution remains to liberate Nigeria of dumb / corrupt looters that call themselves leaders. Call it revolution or anything, else disintegrate the particle termed Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by Guardian(m): 3:41pm On Oct 26, 2011
1-6-3-3-4 OR 6-3-3-4

Both are same and Remain same no change. The only missing info: > Nursery education was not emphasized in 6-3-3-4.

Chikena
Re: Nigeria Adopts - 1 6 3 3 4 Education System by sgd: 3:44pm On Oct 26, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fupre's Shambolic Admission Process. / NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence / Students Of QRC Onitsha Wins University Of Delaware Global Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.