Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? (15215 Views)

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? / Mixture Of Perceptions Among Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba Tribes Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Obiagu1(m): 5:24am On Oct 28, 2011
Many of you got it wrong. Igbo as a prefix or suffix in names did not just become common after the war.
A person born after the war would be 41 years old this year and could probably have kids that are very young, at most 18 years old; but the people bearing those names (mostly as surnames) ranges from very old to very young, so how do you explain that?

Traditionally, Igbos bear their (great) grand fathers names (as surnames) but could be many generations back.

I grew up with one Igboanugo family and neither their grandfather nor their father was named Igboanugo. The name was a very old name.

@OP, the reason Igbos bear names with Igbo in it is the same reason they bear names with "Onwu" (death) in it or "Chi" in it.  Most Igbos name their kids with names describing the circumstance of their birth, their family, or their family wishes, regrets, etc. In the case of Igbo affix, the circumstance extends to the race or people. Every Igbo name has a meaning.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 6:26am On Oct 28, 2011
Igbo is a mysterious word no one really has explained well. I think it was present in all corners of Igbo land. Igbo is also much older than the word Yoruba, and possibly other names like Hausa and Fulani (Arabic?), and a lot of these names have no meaning in their languages. Igbo, however, seems to have come from the Igbo.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Sike(m): 7:30am On Oct 28, 2011
Na 'em sabi jor!
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by mjconcept(m): 7:35am On Oct 28, 2011
@op some of those names are not popular in my town but i know what they mean

igbokibe= igbo is greater than others.

igbozurukeme= igbo is complete/has everything in abundances.

igbojiuba= igbo has wealth.

igbojekwe=igbo will agree.etc
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by brainpulse: 7:49am On Oct 28, 2011
Hmnnn before i make my contrisuggestion i would like to brake Kolanut for the elders of our land, hmn may they accept also this drink."nnnwashing of mouth, spit to the ground". Nsee.

henhen what is the topic again?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by mjconcept(m): 8:02am On Oct 28, 2011
brainpulse:

Hmnnn before i make my contrisuggestion i would like to brake Kolanut for the elders of our land, hmn may they accept also this drink."nnnwashing of mouth, spit to the ground". Nsee.

henhen what is the topic again?
You are a true son of the soil , eh, Ndia choro ka ha mara ihe mere na igbo na dina aha anyi mana obodo anyi biko kowara ha.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 28, 2011
Igbo-ese (Bushes in the igbo people yam legs) grin
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by winwinx: 9:40am On Oct 28, 2011
There is need to have culture and values
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by romeo(m): 9:59am On Oct 28, 2011
What's all these bullcrap about "SOUTHERN, NORTHERN, WESTERN, EASTERN" Igbos? There is nothing like that!! only some stupid people here on Nairaland trying so hard to divide igboland. Funny how little kids of yesterday are claiming experts on Igbo issues, when it's very clear they do not know even their own backyard culture.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by neutralist: 11:32am On Oct 28, 2011
Igbobuigbo
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by noiseless: 2:27pm On Oct 28, 2011
Me too,having followed most of his comments in some of threads i wonder if he is on a depression tablet?Anyway this is what the poster who claimed to be a historian was hoping to achieve by this post,FAKE HISTORIANS.
Kc3000:

Chinenye, as a fellow proud Ngwa man, I would advice that you deviate from this your imagined Southern vs Northern Igbo dichotomy that you are constantly peddling. There's a north, south, east and west in everything, even in Ngwaland there's a northern(Isialangwa) and a southern(Obiomangwa) axis. I simply don't understand why you are so keen to establish this division in every Igbo thread. Ndi-Ngwa fiercly protect our identity, but we are genuinly as Igbo as it gets, and we are not a group that somehow fell under Igbo influence. We are not some people with identity crisis, so please lets act like it. Thank you.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by noiseless: 2:38pm On Oct 28, 2011
@Sadiq88.Why dont you live the igbo alone YES live us alone FAKE HISTORIAN.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by noiseless: 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2011
@sadiq88 or whoever you say you are pls leave igbo alone BOGUS HISTORIAN.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ugotuf(m): 3:57pm On Oct 28, 2011
Some one is deleting my posts, why?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2011
noiseless:

@Sadiq88.Why dont you live the igbo alone YES live us alone FAKE HISTORIAN.

I dont think he's a badd dude.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by deadie(m): 7:46pm On Oct 28, 2011
What does this Southern vs. Northern Igbo talk mean? Umuahia people bear IGBOKWE a lot, are they part of your northern axis?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:56pm On Oct 28, 2011
Don't play the fool.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 8:12pm On Oct 28, 2011
pls, nobody should misunderstand me. i have no ulterior motive, i opened this thread to learn

thanks for your contributions,

are/were people known with these names ( not surname) or is just used as family name?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2011
sadiq88:

are/were people known with these names ( not surname) or is just used as family name?
Both as proper names and surnames.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ak47mann(m): 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2011
all this una divide and conquer i tire 4 una undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:30pm On Oct 28, 2011
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Oct 28, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Both as proper names and surnames.

In the past they used to be first names, but they are mostly surnames now.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:58pm On Oct 28, 2011
mbatuku2:

In the past they used to be first names, but they are mostly surnames now.
That's one thing I don't like. All of these ancient and solid, proper names being relegated to surnames and replaced by all of these other 'convenience' names. Anyway, you're very correct. They're mostly surnames now.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 9:02pm On Oct 28, 2011
if anyone is referring to the list of names earlier in the thread, i doubt they werent also relatively recent introductions, going by the structure.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 28, 2011
tpia@:

if anyone is referring to the list of names earlier in the thread, i doubt they werent also relatively recent introductions, going by the structure.

What structure are you talking of?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 9:42pm On Oct 28, 2011
^^prefixes and suffixes.

you can check obiagu's first post on this page.

he has a general idea.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ezeagu(m): 9:50pm On Oct 28, 2011
Obiagu's post is about Igbo not being recent in names.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 9:56pm On Oct 28, 2011
^^maybe i read his post wrong.

will check it again.

i grew up with one Igboanugo family and neither their grandfather nor their father was named Igboanugo. The name was a very old name

if he means the great grandfather was the one named igboanugo, then igbo might have been getting popular as a prefix/suffix around those times.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:03pm On Oct 28, 2011
Tpia, the names aren't recent. Some constructions maybe, but the thought of people bearing "igbo" in their name isn't. Maybe the use of "prefixes" and "suffixes" is causing a misunderstanding. The names technically are not prefixed or suffixed. They are sentence-derived; sentences where the word "igbo" for whatever reason was used by people in the past and had a specific meaning and understanding. Whatever that meaning was, it seems largely unclear now, since many people nowadays think of the name as directly inferring to "Igbo people".
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 10:54pm On Oct 28, 2011
^^i'm yet to come across people with igbo in their names in ancient times.

of course i could be wrong, but folks from back then generally had names in which each constituent part, had a meaning.

assuming igbo was a name form in the olden days, then it should have a specific meaning which is decipherable as well.

figuratively speaking.

and ancient times here would imply before a great grandfather's time.

let's assume for most people, their great grandfather's time would be around the early part of the 20th century, or at a stretch, the later part of the 19th century.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 12:25am On Oct 29, 2011
here's an igbo [ibo] name from two or three centuries ago:

Shadraoh[b] ldasibiokoromabaofore [/b]

can anyone translate this?

not sure if the spelling is right.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by tpia5: 12:33am On Oct 29, 2011
other names include odiri [meaning king's son]- probably odili today.

kamalu, long form of kalu.

enugu used to be known as elugu, showing some consonants have been changed.

if there's an actual town called elugu today, in the southeast, then i stand corrected.

elu ugwu [elugu] means hill top.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) / Yorubas Lets Share Our Lineage Praises Here / Igbira Women, What About Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.