Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,735 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? (15190 Views)

Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price / What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? / Mixture Of Perceptions Among Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba Tribes Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ak47mann(m): 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2011
sadiq88:

thanks fo the contributions

u know most of the names means praising igbo people

i am just asking whether it is possible to see people bearing names preffixed or suffixed with igbo whose manings may not be favourable? just curious
not praising igbo people undecided most igbos names have chukwu in their names, and that means GOD
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NaijaNaWaa: 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2011
Originally posted by Sadiq88
Igboegbunam let my identity (Igbo) not bring persecution onto me

@OP,

Your translation of the above is wrong: Igboegbulem (literarily) means "Let not Igbo kill/destroy me". In translating and understanding the prefix/suffix "Igbo" in Igbo names, it is important to know that in Igbo world view, Igbo is the same as the World or Universe. So a name like Igbokwe should be rightly translated as "If the World concurs". Igboezuo or Igboezue means "the assembly of the (whole) world/universe.

I hope this helps.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
^
Thanks for pointing that out. I wanted to add that but my post got lost.

The 'Igbo' in some of those names mean community.

@OP, I keep having this feeling that you're here for some ulterior motive. Your initial post showed it, but I decided to responded with the feeling that I may be wrong, but it seems you couldn't help it.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 9:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
@ naijanawaa, thanks for your input

i am not the one that translated the words, i culled the article from a facebook page
by the i neither speek igbo nor understand it. that's why i opend this thread to learn

thanks for the correction one more
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by aljharem3: 9:35pm On Oct 27, 2011
NaijaNaWaa:

Originally posted by Sadiq88
@OP,

Your translation of the above is wrong: Igboegbulem (literarily) means "Let not Igbo kill/destroy me". In translating and understanding the prefix/suffix "Igbo" in Igbo names, it is important to know that in Igbo world view, Igbo is the same as the World or Universe. So a name like Igbokwe should be rightly translated as "If the World concurs". Igboezuo or Igboezue means "the assembly of the (whole) world/universe.

I hope this helps.

hmmm sorry I just want to understand something here

So in Igbo Language, The word "Igbo" means "World" or "Universe" ?

Just want to be sure before I discuss about it. Thanks
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by sadiq88: 9:39pm On Oct 27, 2011
mbatuku, pls don't misunderstand me, i don't have any ulterior motive. i am just here to learns. thank you
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
alj_harem:

It's not direct in meaning, but by inference.

From the Igbo point of view, the world=Igbo and Igbo=world
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
@chinenyen,why do u always bring confusions and disscord among the Igbos? If I dont know any better you wuld have long given me a bad impression of NGWA people. The other time it was "Nri has no influence on southern Igbos". Now, its "southern Igbos dont "traditionally" bear names with Igbo preffix nor suffix on them!! Lordy,lordy!! Please, mr chinenyen;make up ur mind!! Are u Igbo or not??
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by aljharem3: 9:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
mbatuku2:

It's not direct in meaning, but by inference.

From the Igbo point of view, the world=Igbo and Igbo=world

OK I see. Thanks

great culture.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NaijaNaWaa: 10:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
alj_harem:

In some instances (especially as prefixes to names), yes. The prefix Igbo or Mba in names like Igboamaeze or Mbamaeze or Mbamaonyeukwu could be rightly translated as the World or the Universe or Community (as suggested by mbukutu. But note that "community" does not necessarily mean Igbo community. It could be any community in the world hence my interpretation of the prefix Igbo as meaning the world). But that does not mean that Igbo is synonymous with World or Universe. For instance, "Onye Igbo" definitely means an Igbo person. Nwa Igbo means "Igbo son". Etc.

I hope you are not up to some tribal baiting or mischief. I have no time for such. My only only interest here is to share my (limited) understanding of the topic. I hope this helps.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:06pm On Oct 27, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

@chinenyen,why do u always bring confusions and disscord among the Igbos? If I dont know any better you wuld have long given me a bad impression of NGWA people. The other time it was "Nri has no influence on southern Igbos". Now, its "southern Igbos dont "traditionally" bear names with Igbo preffix nor suffix on them!! Lordy,lordy!!

Don't exaggerate, please. There is no such thing as me bringing "confusion and discord among the Igbo". All I've done is to state simple truths.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by http(m): 10:06pm On Oct 27, 2011
alj_harem:

From Igbotic point of view, I don't agree with you as the word Igbo has more meaning than that grin grin grin

From Yoruba lipsrsealed Yoruba point of view, Igbo means Bush, marijuana, head boot. cheesy
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
@chinenye I have seen lots of people from Alangwa that bears Igbokwe. So,please stop spreading all these your disgusting and pathetic lies!! Why dont you just make a proposal to the house of representative and request for a new ethnic group called NGWA ETHNIC GROUP, so that we go fit hear word for u.
All of a sudden Isikwuato ceased being central Igbo, abi? And mbaise(supposedly where the ngwas came from),has this occurence but the almighty,uniquelly carved Ngwa doesnt What are u really getting at ? If I may ask.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by odumchi: 10:29pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^

Nna, jiri nwanyo kwuwaraya ritakwa na anyi dum bu nwanne.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
I meant,all of a sudden Isikwuato ceased being southern Igbo.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Relax101(m): 10:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I meant,all of a sudden Isikwuato ceased being southern Igbo.

Are you from Isuikwuato?

Is Isuikwuato southern or central Igbo?
Where is isuikwuato?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:38pm On Oct 27, 2011
Odumchi,nwanne abughim onye na ewe oke iwe. Mana, Ndigbo sili na asokata eze anya ekpulu nkata na isi gwa ya okwu. Sometimes he bits more than what he can actually chew.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
1. Calm down. If we're going to have a discussion, then we should have a discussion. Don't begin a useless shouting match.

2. You're misunderstanding my use of "southern", "central", "northern" etc. I'm not speaking geographically. I'm speaking in terms of affinity and culture. Isuikwuato is geographically southern, but in terms of affinity and culture it is central.

3. Ngwa people bearing "Igbokwe". Don't make me laugh. Are you even sure those people you saw weren't ohnuhnu? That being said, there's no law that says Ngwa people cannot bear the name "Igbokwe". I'm only stating that the name, and other "Igbo" names, aren't southern. It's just as with the names "Ifeoma" and "Oluchi". I've seen some Ngwa who bear those names, but we all know that those names are not southern. They're north/central.

odumchi:

^^^
Nna, jiri nwanyo kwuwaraya ritakwa na anyi dum bu nwanne.
As the Igbo say, onye o na-ewe ya wegbuo. There's no reason for the aggression, but if that is how he wants to get his point across, then so be it. Allow him to not jiri nwanyo kwuwara.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by moderatorr: 11:15pm On Oct 27, 2011
igbokibe - The igbo tribe is greater/mightier than other tribes (peers)
igbozurukeme - the igbo tribe is well to do, or up to the task or is man enough
igboasoanya - the igbo as a people have a 'cannot be intimidated' character. Or simply put, igbo no dey fear face.
igbojiuba - the igbo tribe is the tribe who's got the wealth. Or simply put, na igbo get money.
igbojekwe - havent heard this b4. Lol

thanks
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by moderatorr: 11:25pm On Oct 27, 2011
BAD NAMES WITH IGBO PREFIX
igbokanaya - igbo is the problem/headache

igbotik - (slang) uncivilised in thinking / action.

JUST FOR THE RECORDS
depending on pronounciation
igbo - igbo tribe
igbo - ganja
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by asha80(m): 11:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
moderatorr:

BAD NAMES WITH IGBO PREFIX
igbokanaya - igbo is the problem/headache

igbotik - (slang) uncivilised in thinking / action.

JUST FOR THE RECORDS
depending on pronounciation
igbo - igbo tribe
igbo - ganja

so you have seen someone answering this name right?
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Kc3000: 11:28pm On Oct 27, 2011
Chinenye, as a fellow proud Ngwa man,  I would advice that you deviate from this your imagined Southern vs Northern Igbo dichotomy that you are constantly peddling. There's a north, south, east and west in everything, even in Ngwaland there's a northern(Isialangwa) and a southern(Obiomangwa) axis. I simply don't understand why you are so keen to establish this division in every Igbo thread. Ndi-Ngwa fiercly protect our identity, but we are genuinly as Igbo as it gets, and we are not a group that somehow fell under Igbo influence. We are not some people with identity crisis, so please lets act like it. Thank you.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
Firstly,northern Igbos didnt start bearing those names u mentioned like ifeoma,oluchi(central Igbo) or even Ijeoma until early 19th century,chinenyen.
Secondly,can u please explain vividly to me what make u think that names with " Igbo" prefix or suffix "are not southern",according to you the oldest southern Ngwa man. Bollocks!!
Thirdly,is ohnuhnu by any chance "southern" Igbo
Chinenyen,its only a good friend will tell u that "ur mouth stinks"
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Relax101(m): 11:44pm On Oct 27, 2011
^^^ I am talkinhg to you. Haba answer me.
Relax101:

Are you from Isuikwuato?

Is Isuikwuato southern or central Igbo?
Where is isuikwuato?

Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:04am On Oct 28, 2011
1. Everyone should keep in mind that I did not begin this foolish "Ngwa" nonsense here in this topic. The first person to mention "Ngwa" in this topic was Nri Priest. In my immediate response to him, not once did I mention "Ngwa". All I did was to tell him to not exaggerate. In the next response that I got from him, he mentions "Ngwa", once again. I then responded directly to his Ngwa comments. Everyone should keep that in mind, lest we have a repeat of that nonsense that occurred last year with that Aro child, EzeUche. Now, if people want to turn this into a topic about Ngwa, then so be it. They should feel free. If not, then people would be wise to not personalize this discussion, because I am just as capable of engaging in personalized vulgar shouting matches as they are. No one has a monopoly on useless noise.

2. You all should learn to take things as simply as I state them. There is no "south vs north" or "east vs west". I stated nothing of the sort. I am not establishing any sort of "division". You all are acting too tightly wound up. This has nothing to do with "identity" or anything of the sort. I only made a simple comment, and you all should take it within the context that I made it. I stated explicitly what my use of "southern", "northern" etc. was all about, and there is nothing "imagined" about it. So no one should come here and play the fool.

3. If we're going to have a simple, straightforward discussion, then we should have a simple, straightforward discussion. No beating around the "Ngwa" bush just because I make simple, straightforward comments. Stop acting overly insecure.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by asha80(m): 12:32am On Oct 28, 2011
chinenye truth be told sometimes this southern and northern categorization can be confusing or seem like the 'user' puts it forward to cement an argurement.

remember when abagworo catergorized mbaise as northern igbo in that thread about boundaries of igbo nation?

this is the same mbaise you catergorized as southern igbo.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:07am On Oct 28, 2011
Asha I understand what you mean. It can be confusing. Abagworo's categorization of Mbaise as northern is a case-in-point. I didn't know what to think when he stated that. I was a bit confused. I remember, but that confusion can be dealt with beforehand by establishing the context.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by Nobody: 3:39am On Oct 28, 2011
pls somebody asked a question about "ikwerre people" i have heard a lot of these people on thread about igbo though i never met one,   who exactly are they?
i remember my secondary school friend at awka use to mention about them too.
Re: What Is Reason Behind Bearing Names With Igbo Suffixes And Prefixes Among Igbo? by odumchi: 4:02am On Oct 28, 2011
^

Inyi to nmeji na ago inyi za asaya ajujuya. Onwere ike ibutara anyi igbawunju anya.

@Toaskarity

Ikwerre, if that's what you mean are an Igbo people in Rivers. Google them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ijaws: Nigeria's Largest Ethnic Group - Wikipedia / Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) / Igbira Women, What About Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.