Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,738 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: (25597 Views)

Study In France - Process And Enquiries Thread / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Begging Attitude: White Man Married To Nigerian Lady Vows Never To Visit Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Darevofpeace(m): 7:01pm On Nov 12, 2023
"My supervisor is in his early 60s, so it was super hard for me to start calling him by his name every time. This man is old enough to be my grandfather and he wants me to call him his first name. I’m getting more familiar with it, though.

One of the things I don’t like about being abroad is the fact that everybody minds their business. It is a double-edged sword. In Nigeria, you don’t like people being in your business, but sometimes, you actually need it.

Last year, I was sick. I had an emergency operation so I couldn’t go to work for about a week. I was in my house and the next thing, I was in the hospital, so I couldn’t inform anybody. Not a single person called or texted me. Not one. Not even the HR person.

I left a cup of coffee on my desk the day before the incident and when I came back one week after, I met it right there with mold in it. Sometimes, it gets really annoying in Nigeria when people put their noses in your business, but I’d rather have that than have nobody care at all.

I always like to say that if I died in my apartment, nobody would know until my body started smelling because even my rent would automatically pay itself from my account and the landlord wouldn’t care to check on me."

~ Source: Zikoko

168 Likes 15 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by illicit(m): 7:07pm On Nov 12, 2023
U don't have any problem

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Westerhoffe(m): 7:37pm On Nov 12, 2023
Where it works…

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Nwaotu10(m): 8:34pm On Nov 12, 2023
My kind of life actually.

God, abeg, send me abroad!!!

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by doggedfighter(f): 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2023
Nwaotu10:

🙄

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by queengift(f): 10:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
How old are you?, that your 60years old supervisor is old enough to be your grandma

22 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Depriest2020: 6:30am On Nov 13, 2023
queengift:
How old are you?, that your 60years old supervisor is old enough to be your grandma
You must be from southern Nigeria who believes their women must be in their thirties and their men in their forties before they start preparing for marriage. Please here in the north people in their forties are already grand parents, so don't be surprised someone said a person in their sixties should be her grandparents. My mum became a great grandma in her sixties.

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by CodeTemplar: 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2023
Kerosene children of hate may start shouting "please come back to Nigeria".

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by FreeStuffsNG: 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2023
Westerhoffe:
Where it works…
Low self esteem is bad.

Those of you suffering from inferiority complex and long history of chronic years of generation to generation poverty background that is so pathological that you think these toilet-stealing countries are "saner clime " and their citizens are better than you should read this.

Thomas Hobbes in Leviathan (1660) expressed his views that "Man's life was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." Hobbes inferred that people are naturally selfish and wicked and cannot be trusted. Therefore the primitive or "natural" state of humanity is violent and brutal.

What the lady is experiencing is not culture shock but retrogression and what Thomas Hobbes described as the primitive "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short" life of an uncivilized man. They will soon be dying out before they reset and now reverse the trend.

Our society is more developed and civilised than their own but those from here or over there who are from very poor inferiority complex background and with poor education won't be able to understand.

Any country where anyone would not look out for the other is destroying the same foundation that built their society. Go and read about sociological perspectives, what is happening in french society is unusual and it's borne out of fear from a sociologically brutish, violent, primitive uncivilized society. They are too scared stiff to care and reach out to support one another. They are solitary , brutish and primitive. If you are raised there, or raise a family there, you will become same brutish, violent, nasty uncivilized primitive man like them.

Human beings, civilised human beings that belong to civilised societies like ours, are a social creatures, we are not like Leopards or cheetahs that only come together when it's time for sex , and after sex, move apart ike the way these prehistoric people are behaving.

I am Yoruba from Lagos city, the number 1 start up city in Africa. I am a patriotic Nigerian who is profoundly proud of my civilised Yoruba culture, heritage and that my Yoruba forebears did not raise us in this primitive french society way.Check my signature for free stuffs!

59 Likes 10 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Agbadocassava: 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2023
Go and get a partner so that you won’t die unnoticed

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by id4sho(m): 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2023
Africans have a communal life style wink, I had a classmate who lost his mum in Netherlands because of their way of life. He died and was rotten.
If you are a Nigerian abroad, share your responsible Nigerian friends contact with your family members here. Just in case you are unreachable

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by callmevirus(m): 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nothing concern me but E dey mind
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Jeezuzpick(m): 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2023
illicit:
U don't have any problem

Abi naa?
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by UncleKoboko: 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2023

IT'S NOT TRUE THAT LECTURERS AND PEOPLE IN PLACE OF AUTHORITY DON'T LIKE RESPECT ABROAD.

IN FACT, THEY HATE BEING CALLED BY THEIR FIRST NAMES

5 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by OgaTheTop2: 2:06pm On Nov 14, 2023
This OP na JJC.. I can understand. smiley

3 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by rainluv: 2:07pm On Nov 14, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Low self esteem is bad

Sharap
Is that true or false?

8 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Angelfrost(m): 2:07pm On Nov 14, 2023
Honestly, apart from the first name basis thing, every other thing up there is how me and my guys live our lives even here in Naija.

The older I get, the more I wonder why most Nigerians can't mind their fvcking businesses... Like, Dem swear for una?!!

However, the part about not being seen at work and no one checked on you is kinda farfetched...! Employers are largely mandated or duty-bound to do that.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by humberjade: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
That's why it is not good to live a solo life, always have someone who reaches out as often as possible. Living a solo life is okay, but not totally safe and healthy for many reasons.

No one is an Island, we need others from time to time.

10 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by TUTU147: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
My neighbors are my first family either good or bad, this is the area I love middle class people environment.

8 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by YourGFsnatcher: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
Shey people want to be left alone?
That's why I laugh when celebrities do stupid things and people complain and they say people should leave them alone its their life.

But when they are sick, they turn to the same people pasting their account number begging the same people they that irritated them when all was good.

You can't eat your cake and have it.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by MosayA: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
That's the risk when you stay or live in places where none of your family are.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by lebron7(m): 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2023
Depriest2020:

You must be from southern Nigeria who believes their women must be in their thirties and their men in their forties before they start preparing for marriage. Please here in the north people in their forties are already grand parents, so don't be surprised someone said a person in their sixties should be her grandparents. My mum became a great grandma in her sixties.
Lmao
Is this a flex?

6 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by LegallyObliged: 2:09pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nigerians are extremely nosey, always in somebody's business other than their own. If they are not looking over your shoulders into your phone, theyre standing so close to you that you would think they were trying to melt into you.

3 Likes

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by nysc: 2:09pm On Nov 14, 2023
Your story is not complete. Regular French citizens have friends. When regular French workplace colleagues are sick, they are visited by their co-workers. People in the west are not as anti-social as you portray. The issue is that you have not yet fully integrated in the new environment you have found yourself. Be more friendly and people will care about you wherever you find yourself.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by toprealman: 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2023
Darevofpeace:

"My supervisor is in his early 60s, so it was super hard for me to start calling him by his name every time. This man is old enough to be my grandfather and he wants me to call him his first name. I’m getting more familiar with it, though.

One of the things I don’t like about being abroad is the fact that everybody minds their business. It is a double-edged sword. In Nigeria, you don’t like people being in your business, but sometimes, you actually need it.

Last year, I was sick. I had an emergency operation so I couldn’t go to work for about a week. I was in my house and the next thing, I was in the hospital, so I couldn’t inform anybody. Not a single person called or texted me. Not one. Not even the HR person.

I left a cup of coffee on my desk the day before the incident and when I came back one week after, I met it right there with mold in it. Sometimes, it gets really annoying in Nigeria when people put their noses in your business, but I’d rather have that than have nobody care at all.

I always like to say that if I died in my apartment, nobody would know until my body started smelling because even my rent would automatically pay itself from my account and the landlord wouldn’t care to check on me."

~ Source: Zikoko
Life style , the lady has no friends Abi? Have that one person that can stand by you in times like this, black or white
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by drmikeadams(m): 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2023
grin grin I hardly come outside, people go still dey complain.. married woman dey ask me why I no dey like come outside... the other day she ask me if I get female visitorgrin na her toto go hear am when I get her time grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by pweeryambre: 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2023
Nwaotu10:

Are you sure?
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by saanumii(m): 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2023
I saw an interesting platform and decided to share it here with everyone after several attempts.

Visit the URL on my signature/ profile to get a free guide.
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by mytime24(f): 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2023
K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Committee On Works Inspects Lagos - Calabar Coastal Highway / Abimbola Ogunbanjo's Family Sues Helicopter Charter Company / FAAN Bans Luggage Screening At MMIA Departure Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.