Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,250 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: (25645 Views)

Moment A Nigerian Lady Receives Her Kids & Husband In Canada (pics/video) / Study In France - Process And Enquiries Thread / Begging Attitude: White Man Married To Nigerian Lady Vows Never To Visit Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by kapich: 7:03am On Nov 15, 2023
Join a Nigerian association or group. They look out for members time time.
Lookout for group activities, sport, game, or leisure where you meet people and share interests.
Most white are introvert in nature they won't mingle unless you are in a relationship. May the Lord keep you.
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by Pennilessword1: 7:54am On Nov 15, 2023
Darevofpeace:

"My supervisor is in his early 60s, so it was super hard for me to start calling him by his name every time. This man is old enough to be my grandfather and he wants me to call him his first name. I’m getting more familiar with it, though.

One of the things I don’t like about being abroad is the fact that everybody minds their business. It is a double-edged sword. In Nigeria, you don’t like people being in your business, but sometimes, you actually need it.

Last year, I was sick. I had an emergency operation so I couldn’t go to work for about a week. I was in my house and the next thing, I was in the hospital, so I couldn’t inform anybody. Not a single person called or texted me. Not one. Not even the HR person.

I left a cup of coffee on my desk the day before the incident and when I came back one week after, I met it right there with mold in it. Sometimes, it gets really annoying in Nigeria when people put their noses in your business, but I’d rather have that than have nobody care at all.

I always like to say that if I died in my apartment, nobody would know until my body started smelling because even my rent would automatically pay itself from my account and the landlord wouldn’t care to check on me."

~ Source: Zikoko

Because you feel entitled. No one is your friend and they don't care to want to suck up to you..deal with it or better still....leave
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by pansophist(m): 10:01am On Nov 15, 2023
I forgot what it is called, but there is a phenomenon that is common with prisoners, after they are released, they want to go back to prison life, since it's prison life they know how to live, and have integrated perfectly into it.

The same phenomenon applies to Nigerians moving to the West. You have been so used to Naija life, hence, it's hard to integrate into the Western one. But in the end, it is about living where you like to live.

I live like that as well, and I like it. In fact, the only fight I have right now is to argue or be insulted by one coward anonymous moniker online, and in most cases, I will just treat such a moniker with indifference.

Thats peace. Peace is boring, autonomy is boring, and independence is boring, but I like it. Peace.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by DonroxyII: 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2023
pweeryambre:

Thinking about toto when someone is just being nice to you...
Forget He is Right ... a Gallant Man must be Prepared-Readied!
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by DonroxyII: 1:44pm On Nov 15, 2023
[code][/code]
Aposteli1:
This is where the uniqueness of the African culture comes to play. We shouldn't allow the inferiority complex to see ourselves as inferior to them in all our ways. Because, we are all gifted and unique in our different ways. There's no perfect culture anywhere in the World. So, Africans must start presenting their cultures to the World for the World to see the reason why they must adopt some parts of African's culture.
One Love.
Africa is simply a Communal Culture Due to Poverty not that people truly care about each Other Here(You would see that Once Someone Breakthrough, Na Japa Straight & Such Become Unreachable to even Families & Old Friends)... Most Advanced Countries are Soaked in Capitalism & Worries ...

You are On Much More Burdens That You Don't Give a Ratazz about anyone other than working ya ass off to paying Your Bills & See Yourself not to be Crumbled by the System.

Africa is also developing in that direction .... But As far as "Owanbe" No go Finish ... we can never Embraced Oyinbos life fully ....

Nevertheless, The Humanities is getting unified so we shall enjoy alot of Mixed Cultures Until One Global Culture Emerged....

This I have Seen!

1 Like

Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by DonroxyII: 1:48pm On Nov 15, 2023
henrimoto:
..This is another kind of cultural Shock between NORTHERN NIGERIA & SOUTHERN NIGERIA.

Southerners who had been in the North will understand the Above pictures.
Northerners Never Considered Themselves as One Nation with Southern Nigeria Meanwhile The Southwest is Another World on its Own with Southeast being another Country entirely .... laslas we go become one unified people whether we like it or Not..

Gen Z are Borderless & Gen Z Pro-Max wouldn't Care ..

Globalisation is sweeping everyone Whether you like it or Not..

Even Oyinbos love afrobeat like mad now ... Everybody shall maintain later !
Re: A Nigerian Lady Talks Of Her Cultural Shock In France: by EvangelistChuks(m): 2:31pm On Nov 16, 2023
Jesus the answer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Ambassador To Ukraine Warns Nigerians Not To Study In Ukraine / Dangote Truck Crashes Into Building In Lagos - Photo / Lagos VIS Now Use Street Cameras To Capture Cars With Invalid Documents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.