Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,879 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? (4819 Views)

15 Years Of Google At A Glance!!!! / Http://google.com.ng Down? / All You Need To Get On Page 1 Of Google And Other Search Engines. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by cmon(m): 12:34am On Oct 28, 2011
Then you wonder, couldn't it have been simpler for a white page, links above, an Image, a form field and links below.

What's the excess codes for Image how you would have achieved an exact google.com homepage.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by yawatide(f): 11:01am On Oct 28, 2011
Google is a search engine and so it makes sense that it be as simple as possible, so as to reduce the overhead on their servers. That doesn't mean, unless I am misreading you, that every site out there should be as simple-looking.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Ymodulus: 11:22am On Oct 28, 2011
@poster i think yawa-tide didnt really get you. Yawa he meant the output of the page from mere looking should be simple on html source. That is just a image tag carrying the logo, an input box carrying the search and some few links carrying the footer privacy and so. But when the code is viewed it happens not to be simple has he thought.

Well poster i think you cant really say
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by cmon(m): 5:07pm On Oct 28, 2011
Ymodulus, that's exactly my point.

Yawa, you'll have to look at the source codes from www.google.com to understand what I mean. The source codes could have been simpler, just as Ymodulus described.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Oct 28, 2011
What i see is loads of javascript codes. Infact, the content i'm seeing is little.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by yawatide(f): 5:24pm On Oct 28, 2011
Looks more like code obfuscation to me.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2011
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by cmon(m): 6:56pm On Oct 28, 2011
The more you look, the less you see grin
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 28, 2011
Those javascript codes you see do a lot of things:
1. They test the speed of your internet connection.
2. They implement ajax to search when the connection is good.
3. Saves you stress of refreshing the page to get contents.
4. Allows updating of the page without reloading.
5. Also floats that their black toolbar on the page.

Meanwhile, there is some degree of fallback for no-javascript. A very decent failback mechanism.

And more. All these things you can implement them with enough javascript knowlege. It is not
everything that is JQUERY/MOOTOOLs. This is why you need to learn real javascript.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 29, 2011
^^ +100
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 29, 2011
Thanks amigo. I once wanted to make my sites like this - but SEO is a very big problem. You can achieve good SEO but it is very difficult.

I have not really optimized my sites actively for SEO. But if you enter into google - all first page will be me.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by yawatide(f): 12:23pm On Oct 29, 2011
Hopefully my last post on this thread cheesy

It IS code obfuscation:

Code compression means lines are stripped, etc but the underlying code is still readable. When I view the source and see something like this:
c.push(d(f))}}E(c.join(""wink)}}

That smacks of obfuscation to me buddy - as in, you couldn't decipher what the code is doing, based on what you see.

Okay, I will give you 50% since the code has not only been obfuscated but compressed as well.

The end tongue
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 29, 2011
^^^Well, since i cant see what the code is doing - why bother to give me mark at all? Just give me odo - make i kuku no say i be olodo-rabata!

But seriously, do we need  to read a code line for line to know what it is doing? Nah, i dont think so. That means i got to open their server and
database be dat na.

We can all see it is obfuscated and compressed. Even jquery.min is obfuscated and compressed, that is no new thing. But i correctly analysed
some of the functions based on observations and testings - and as a programmer - using deductive + intuitive reasoning as well.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2011
Well. . . . i did not try to unofuscate it - i have already listed out some of the reasons i felt the code is like that.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2011
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 29, 2011
I am flabbergasted. . .
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by cmon(m): 10:41pm On Oct 29, 2011
Now I'm totally confused. Don't blame me, just a PHP developer. tongue
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by WebSurfer(m): 11:24pm On Oct 29, 2011
;d ;d ;d
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by mrperfect(m): 12:14am On Oct 30, 2011
There are really a lot going on there.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 30, 2011
This is mostly a client-sided stuff sha. Add some ajax to it. But i really love the way they do those speed tests and so change the
functionality of a page.
If your internet was fast at one moment, then the ajaxified search works. If speed drops, it switches to regular submit with reloading.
And all this is activated manually. If javascript is turned off - it backflips easily - and still does not fail. Fantastica.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Brightsmith: 8:38am On Oct 30, 2011
4 more info check http://vibe.waptools.net
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Mobinga: 3:15pm On Oct 30, 2011
@Omotodun

Dude, It's both obfuscated and compressed. To be precise the JavaScript is minified.

YUI Compressor does that and offers compression and obfuscation. Most people use that.

Most of it is difficult to[i] read[/i], it's poorly indented and makes use of ridiculous variable names which make the source poorly readable. That on its on own is obfuscation bro.

It looks like jQuery's source minified. http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.2/jquery.min.js
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 30, 2011
dat is what i was saying above. Thanks guy.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by yawatide(f): 2:10am On Oct 31, 2011
Based on the code snippet I pasted here, it is obfuscated. Based on wat omo pajavascript:void(0);sted, it is compressed.

I hereby declare the game 1-1. As always, naija no dey ever carry last. Highest na draw tongue
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 3:49am On Oct 31, 2011
^
LOL @ yawa-tide.

Prior to August of this year, I always looked down upon Web developers as inferior probably because I work with the Linux kernel, write system drivers, blah blah blah. But now I am beginning to see that this stuff is just almost impossible. Unforeseen events, bugs, and weird circumstances are the rule and not the exception in your field. I put a notice on my site of an update that was supposed to be done a few weeks ago; alas, I'm still not done. The thing don tire me jare.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by yawatide(f): 5:43am On Oct 31, 2011
Prior to August of this year, I always looked down upon Web developers as inferior

Never judge a book by its cover buddy.  Also, until you have seen them all and they all act alike, don't make stereotypical, judgmental statements. Some people choose to do certain things not because they don't know any better but because they have a phD degree: Passion, Hunger and Drive and believe that though it may not be a noble path, but it is a good one, nonetheless wink

Happy coding!
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 31, 2011
Thanks yawa.

However, I am still not above making stereotypical comments. If I have to make judgments on a group only after having known all its members, which is humanly impossible for a very large one, then my name will be Saint omo_to_dun. It is a habit I have tried to kill, but no to avail. Who knows, I may become a better person in the future, but I doubt it.
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by yawatide(f): 11:04am On Oct 31, 2011
Time will tell  cool

By the way, there are people in my locale making 5 figures (USD) writing "common" html.

Something to think about, as we bring this thread to a close grin
Re: Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? by Mobinga: 11:18am On Oct 31, 2011
*dhtml:

dat is what i was saying above. Thanks guy.

Yup. Google likes too much JS. They don't wan't any back-end pressure at all. They just dump everything to your browser to do all the work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Benefits Of Sharing Your Blog Posts On Social Media - Techinfo / How Reliable Are Nigerian Web Hosting Companies? / Pls I Need A Chat And Forum Website Anyone Here Can Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.