Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,918 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27679 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Catapault: 11:13pm On Nov 18, 2023
Morphinne:

This is an unpopular opinion and most people won’t like this but you’re defined making sense.
Though the entitlement mentality among Africans should not be encouraged (I myself won’t condone it from anyone no matter how close you are) but rich folks should always strive to empower their family members before considering outsiders because your family will always remain your family no matter what.
Some people in our society today enjoy being nice towards outsiders and empowering mainly for clout, leaving their families in penury. Mind you, I purposely said ‘empower’ and this is not to be mistaken for just giving and giving each time they ask because I will personally not condone you coming to me for assistance each and every time you need help. I’ll rather find a way to make you financially stable on your own and this will not be done at my own expense.
Africans need to do away with this ugly culture of expecting others to provide for them what they can’t provide for themselves. For this guy to say this in public, it’s obvious they’ve choked him.

EVERY NATION HAS THAT ''UGLY'' CULTURE.

THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT IN THE WESTERN WORLD, THE GOVTS ARE RICH ENOUGH TO ''PROVIDE FOR PEOPLE WHAT THEY CAN'T PROVIDE FOR THEMSELVES'', BY HAVING A WELFARE SYSTEM THAT PAYS THE JOBLESS MASSES A MONTHLY STIPEND TO KEEP THEIR HEADS ABOVE WATER, AND EVEN PAYS THEIR HOUSE RENT.

IN COUNTRIES WITHOUT A GOVT WELFARE SYSTEM, BE THEY IN AFRICA OR SOUTH AMERICA, SOUTH ASIA ETC, THOSE UNABLE TO LOOK AFTER THEMSELVES, RELY ON, AND EXPECT WEALTHY FAMILY MEMBERS TO STEP IN.

THE REASON FOR THE FRICTION IN THE LATTER SCENARIO IS THAT THERE IS NO AGREED SUM OR PERCENTAGE OF THE GIVER'S INCOME THAT SHOULD SUFFICE, WHEREAS IN THE FORMER, THE UNEMPLOYED KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH THEY'LL RECEIVE EACH MONTH.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Adolfnigeria: 11:40pm On Nov 18, 2023
Honestly, how much can a relative give another to make him rich or well off ?

Feed immediate family and then extended family ? is this feasible ?

How much should be demanded ? so because I am richer than a brother, I should take his children to school - who told you I have enough to take mine and yours to school ?

Entitlement mentality is really bad.

People should understand that wealth/resources is scarce and limited, because I can do for mine, does not mean I can do it for both.

Anyway this sort of talk is for the super rich or politician - majority of people on salaries cannot afford to take care of immediate and extended families together.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hansomb: 11:46pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
òmó, see finishing on top finishing. You must have been use to his likes in the hospital.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by useni1: 1:32am On Nov 19, 2023
Mrfeel:

What you said here doesn't make sense, please read what you wrote again

Abolish family ? What is family

The interest of others and humanity should come first before family

Who are the others if I may ask ? And is family not part of humanity?
sorry it is called Marxist law. That's the purpose of life. The communes comes first before my family. That's how I have lived all my life
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mrfeel: 8:02am On Nov 19, 2023
useni1:
sorry it is called Marxist law. That's the purpose of life. The communes comes first before my family. That's how I have lived all my life
You don't know what you are talking about, family gives birth to community, there will be no community without family
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hakym619(m): 8:04am On Nov 19, 2023
Mindlog:

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Are you truly a psychiatrist? I want to seek your service m
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by useni1: 8:19am On Nov 19, 2023
Mrfeel:

You don't know what you are talking about, family gives birth to community, there will be no community without family
family doesn't give birth to community, it actually destroys it. Family breeds hatred, bias and resentment of the communes. Putting your family interest first destroys the community. Taking side on issues cos it is your family has to be the dumbest thing in life.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mrfeel: 8:37am On Nov 19, 2023
useni1:
family doesn't give birth to community, it actually destroys it. Family breeds hatred, bias and resentment of the communes. Putting your family interest first destroys the community. Taking side on issues cos it is your family has to be the dumbest thing in life.

You don't know what you are talking about, you can't love your community if you can't love your family, you can't give the community what you don't have in your family
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 8:52am On Nov 19, 2023
hakym619:

Are you truly a psychiatrist? I want to seek your service m

No, I am a Counselling Psychologist and a Clinical Child Psychologist.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hakym619(m): 12:04pm On Nov 19, 2023
Mindlog:

No, I am a Counselling Psychologist and a Clinical Child Psychologist.

Can you render a CBT for me ? It would be vital to my mental wellness.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Stevenbright(m): 12:49pm On Nov 19, 2023
So true
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by poseidon12: 3:08pm On Nov 19, 2023
Bliss62:
His very own father demanded a transport business with new busses

What's wrong with that?? He has to help his father and siblings if he is capable. But he has to know where to draw the line. Most Nigerians become very selfish as soon as they become successful. We have to remember where we are coming from. We don't have a social welfare system as they have in Oyibo land. So we have to look out for each other.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by poseidon12: 3:13pm On Nov 19, 2023
Redhot111:
That's for him. For me, it's not like that at all. I appreciate my mum and she in turn appreciate my little. Same goes for all my siblings. There is never this entitlement syndrome. Best family there could be is what I got.

Kudos to you, man. That's how it should be. When God blesses you, you should help as much as you can afford to.
Don't mind these selfish Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by SPAMBOX7: 11:35pm On Nov 19, 2023
Mindlog:

True true your name na Mindlog grin
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by vickydevoka(m): 11:56pm On Nov 19, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

The best is to make family members grow their own wealth and never fund any luxury lifestyle for any family members.

You can help create a startup with seed funds and help them grow the company and never fund their lifestyles it doesn't end well. The the business fund their lifestyles, this is a more sustainable approach.
You can only grow someone willing to grow.
When Mikel open up MMM record for his younger brother what happened. He's younger brother was busy showing up in Lagos buying VIP seats up and down.
He opened businesses for all his brothers all failed aside the parents business that's still functioning. He is paying private security for his father o. Omo billing wan finish Mikel abeg. He is talking out of pain.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ExudeLoveToAll: 4:53am On Nov 20, 2023
vickydevoka:

When Mikel open up MMM record for his younger brother what happened. He's younger brother was busy showing up in Lagos buying VIP seats up and down.
He opened businesses for all his brothers all failed aside the parents business that's still functioning. He is paying private security for his father o. Omo billing wan finish Mikel abeg. He is talking out of pain.

Once you try to do this and it fails even if you decide to lock up for life everyone knows you gave a shot to pulling others off the poverty line. As long as it's family to me one must give a trying shot at helping. We I said never fund their lifestyles is that once you find that lifestyle before helping them create a sustainable business, that business will fail automatically.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by vickydevoka(m): 8:41am On Nov 20, 2023
ExudeLoveToAll:

Once you try to do this and it fails even if you decide to lock up for life everyone knows you gave a shot to pulling others off the poverty line. As long as it's family to me one must give a trying shot at helping. We I said never fund their lifestyles is that once you find that lifestyle before helping them create a sustainable business, that business will fail automatically.
Mikels Nigerian salary and bonuses goes to his family. He made it clear from day one that if he if he retires he will stop. I was in jos when my neighbour ugo was saying it, yet the brothers paid deaf ears.

Mikel wasn't good in football that much. He humility paved ways for him. Every manger wants an humble player. That's the fact.
Out of 5 boys he is the only sensible and educated person in the family. All of them are stack illiterate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ExudeLoveToAll: 9:26am On Nov 20, 2023
vickydevoka:

Mikels Nigerian salary and bonuses goes to his family. He made it clear from day one that if he if he retires he will stop. I was in jos when my neighbour ugo was saying it, yet the brothers paid deaf ears.

Mikel wasn't good in football that much. He humility paved ways for him. Every manger wants an humble player. That's the fact.
Out of 5 boys he is the only sensible and educated person in the family. All of them are stack illiterate

Yeah I know he was just an average player.

He did his best trying to help them during his playing days. If I was to be in his shoes from day one no one will see free money, businesses will be created that my team will also be part of it to ensure proper use of deed funds.

What I have observed is that most people who see free money without stress do not appreciate it and in most cases run the funds aground.

My cousin was also in this scenario, his father died as a middle aged man and left him assets and tens of millions in cash, would you believe this guy has sold all the houses and squandered all the cash without investing in anything. A lot of people have this mentality unless their minds are trained towards prudent use of resources even if you gave them a billion naira they will still squander it.

The guy did his best, even the devil can't blame him. They are on their own now, he tried.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DyshApp: 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2023
Too many families are too dependent on one person's success both the Extended and Nuclear Families
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Kachidubem: 1:24am On Dec 03, 2023
Blitzking:
I am not against supporting family member but how do u cope if u are from a family where ur parents decides to give birth to 13 children with little or no education and u are the mikel of that family and out of those children u av hook up gals...cultists...drunkards...drug dealers...the hook up gal contracts an incurable disease they start calling brother the mother develops high BP cos of the children they start calling brother...the cultist is maimed and in the hands of police he no only has a case but also needs medical attention.. one of the girls suddenly gets pregnant for a riff-raff and always calling for food...school fees and all..the drunkard has damaged his liver and is down with alcoholic hepatitis and they are calling brother..he has been told many times that they want to open this or that and he has given them money to rent shop but they closed the shop down and assembled in his house cos they want to wake up and be fed 3 times daily enjoying the cool breeze of the sea side. They don't love you they want to bring you down and kill u b4 ur time.
Are you talking from experience ?

Were you earning up to 500 million naira per week as Mikel was earning during his prime .

My man be calming down
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Kachidubem: 1:28am On Dec 03, 2023
vickydevoka:

So ,close to 20 years mikel stayed in England, common sense didn't tell him to help relocate some family members abroad, even if na one of him brother with all the money he was earning then.

Even Luis Diaz that joined Liverpool which day, hass started making plans to move his family over to UK
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Kachidubem: 1:38am On Dec 03, 2023
sorepco:
Yeah true talk indeed. I blame some of these abroad guys. If a family member comes to u for aid and you are abroad. Just ask them what they want to do and set them up in that field so that they can take care of their families. If you keep giving them money you are part of the problem. They will see you as a cash cow. If bizness set them up by financing the project after looking at the bizness plan!

Thank you my brother for this lovely advice...

That why I dislike my uncle for several years, man was only okay giving me and my siblings $100 every December Christmas when he comes back from US...

Whenever I bring up the idea of me wanting to move on overseas to hustle , he shuns the idea...

How can someone be comfortable with people just begging them , when you can just decide to set them up to be industrious themselves.

I've seen apprentice who later became even more successful than dia master eg Banky W n wizkid.

Wizkid will always be grateful to banky for setting him up for success for life.

Why can't my uncle do same
He just prefer us begging him for crumbs ...smh.

I've cut all ties with him, if my siblings like , they can still be licking his bum for $100 every Christmas...no longer interested.

If you wanna help, help .

Note: I'm talking of someone who has lived in US for over 20yrs ,he is an American citizen, he has his own clinic in US today.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Blitzking: 2:26am On Dec 03, 2023
Kachidubem:

Are you talking from experience ?

Were you earning up to 500 million naira per week as Mikel was earning during his prime .

My man be calming down
A young man was returned abroad hoping to see a house his brother who he trusted cos of blood ties has been using his money to enjoys..hs instruction " build me a house in lagos" this brother used the money too building a block of flat for himself and claimed he built his brothers house in the village. Onetime I av realised is when u begin to have money ur time is gone u need trusted ppl to help you carry out some task. You don't want family member who assume you have and are out to milk u by padding every purchase they make on ur behalf...hopefully you are not among such siblings.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Kachidubem: 3:18am On Dec 03, 2023
Blitzking:

A young man was returned abroad hoping to see a house his brother who he trusted cos of blood ties has been using his money to enjoys..hs instruction " build me a house in lagos" this brother used the money too building a block of flat for himself and claimed he built his brothers house in the village. Onetime I av realised is when u begin to have money ur time is gone u need trusted ppl to help you carry out some task. You don't want family member who assume you have and are out to milk u by padding every purchase they make on ur behalf...hopefully you are not among such siblings.
I don't understand this your crap story and how it relates to the topic...

Mikel stayed over 15 years in England and couldn't think of migrating his siblings overseas even after his father was kidnapped twice ...

I'm close to ihenacho's family in imo state , I can tell you for free , man has not only set up his siblings for life , but his siblings can actually afford to go overseas and even hustle for themselves if they want to.

I don't know what went wrong in mikel's case but truth be told , if you've got a footballer in your family playing for a big club , you fit no work again till you kpai.... that money is something else

Over 500 million naira per week...

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Blitzking: 5:54am On Dec 03, 2023
Kachidubem:

Mikel stayed over 15 years in England and couldn't think of migrating his siblings overseas even after his father was kidnapped twice ...

I'm close to ihenacho's family in imo state , I can tell you for free , man has not only set up his siblings for life , but his siblings can actually afford to go overseas and even hustle for themselves if they want to.

I don't know what went wrong in mikel's case but truth be told , if you've got a footballer in your family playing for a big club , you fit no work again till you kpai.... that money is something else

You can't set up who doesn't want to be set up...what will u say about siblings who always come to u to set up...u think u av helped them only for u to see them again and you aretold they encountered a big problem hence the sold ur so called set up for change...and are now back to square zero.. some families have never do good..u think u are helping them but in reality you are destroying them. Foe extended relatives who didn't even know mikel existed has no business depending on him...whatever help he can render let him do it. Its not a must.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by RepoMan007: 1:21pm On Dec 03, 2023
Kachidubem:

keep shut oga.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by RepoMan007: 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2023
They waited for him to hammer. They didn't initiate you at tender age so they can milk you spiritually later on. Thank God for that.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by vickydevoka(m): 12:48am On Dec 04, 2023
Kachidubem:

So ,close to 20 years mikel stayed in England, common sense didn't tell him to help relocate some family members abroad, even if na one of him brother with all the money he was earning then.

Even Luis Diaz that joined Liverpool which day, hass started making plans to move his family over to UK
If only your brothers are willing to

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"You’re My Father" -Student; "No, I’m Not, Please" – Ex -lawmaker / Which Is Easier To Raise, Male Child Or Female Child? / My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.