Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27699 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 3:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
Error401:
Your family is your everything. You owe them!

You do not "owe" your family, they are not moneylenders.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ProtonX: 3:00pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And it's your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some wealthy men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off in the future they can't sustain because the didn't empower family.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything

I bet that you're one of the very entitled family members he's referring to. People who take and take and take without nothing to show for it because their brother or sister is wealthy. You want to tell him how to spend his money abi? Who told you he hasn't supported his family over the years? He makes money but because he has an extended family he should live like a pauper to please them? Or he needs to show you what he has been doing for his family for years. Nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ProtonX: 3:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Learn to make use of your brain first

Because you are using yours abi? Dimwit. When it's time to approach a conversation or argument with logical reasoning, people like you resort to name calling. self-servicer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by ProtonX: 3:05pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

See the jobless people

People like him will throw his brother's wife and kids out of their home if he dies to take over his properties. Instead of finding a job they'll wait for hand-me-downs

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by sammiewrite(m): 3:12pm On Nov 18, 2023
But what a family Mikel got. With everything he did for them yet his dad had to "disappear" and "reappear" three times... I guess it all makes sense now.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by descarado: 3:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And it's your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some wealthy men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off in the future they can't sustain because the didn't empower family.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
That is the bring let's chop mentality we developed from family and extended to work place and what have you. Politicians now use it to buy everybody. We shouldn't be complaining cos we started requesting from the family.
As long as its not my money, bring let's chop.
An act of corruption. See where it has landed Nigeria.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by mercysamuelson(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2023
If your family no disturb you, then your friends will always feel that its your right to take care of them. For me, my families don't even disturb me but many of my friends send me messages daily asking me for money for one thing and another. All they want is money, money and more money. Their problems no dey finish. Na only dem need money for rent payment, bills, transportation to work, money for gas, feeding, their kids school fees, then money for for their birthday celebrations and some other unnecessary things. Dem don take money swear for dem.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Error401: 3:19pm On Nov 18, 2023
Well, I dont know about your family, but mine is wonderful and they are all i've got. If they need help. I will be there for them always. Mikel has always been known as a stingly man since his time when he had some issues with 2 face.

We all know what Ahmed musa and Asisat Oshoala has done and still doing in Nigeria today. What has Mikel given back to the society? You think Argentina and Portugal dont have poor people, Infact poverty in Brazil is magnanimous, you thick these Europeans dont ask too? When last have you seen others go on interview to call their own people beggers.

Attached is a simple google search of "Hammed Musa Gives"
"Mikel Obi Gives" You can see the difference

Mindlog:

You do not "owe" your family, they are not moneylenders.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by toxtimmy: 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2023
Wrong.... You let the moral of the story fly past your left ear through your brain and put your right ear..

Nobody owes any one anything... We only owe ourselves to do what we believe we can do.... We only owe respect and treating everybody the way we should treat ourselves...doing good has nothing to do with by force.

The doctor that did surgery and saved someone life, only got paid once... After the patient paid and left all he owes the doctor is appreciation and thank you... If the patient does more than thank you and do anything positive for the doctor it's the patients choice.

Whalis:
Mikel wouldn't have become a player of repute without a family member introducing him to NFF. Here is Africa. You don't need to reciprocate good gestures on the person who helped you it might be another family member. A family member took Mikel's father to Jos. This is Africa.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Karnice600: 3:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
DyshApp:
Former Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, has stirred reactions online following an attack against demanding family members that act entitled.

In an interview with fellow football player Rio Ferdinand, the former captain of the Super Eagles bemoaned the fact that, in Africa, families frequently have the right to inherit an individual’s wealth.

Video:https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1725199091146096677?t=V8XwUnfMWuCSb-JMaBXMvw&s=19

According to him, when an African person gets money, many cousins and relatives start to make demands, and some of sisters married men who just wanted to related to him because of his status.

The football player said that he sometimes had to be tough and set aside his personal demands since these people have so many children and need him to take care of them.

Mikel Obi stated that these extended family members believe he owes them money and threaten to go to the press if he refuses. It is prevalent in Africa, according to the football player.

In his words;

“When you come from Africa, when you make money, it’s not your money. You have all these relatives, cousins, and your sisters go off and get married to some guy who just wants to get married into Mikel John Obi’s family because his life is sorted, and then you start looking after this guy, and before you know it, they keep having so many kids and you look at it like,

‘Okay, you’re having this many kids, who are going to look after them?’ It’s you! It’s the culture because, for them, you owe them that, so sometimes you have to be strong and say, ‘You know what, guys, enough is enough; I don’t care’. They give you this thing whereby ‘if you don’t do it, we’re going to go to the press’. After all, what have I done for you guys? But this happens a lot in Africa. Not everybody comes out and speaks about it.”

Is this true😂

Follow up with more Relationship Topic on Relationship Talk Loung(link)

While you acted like you gave Tubaba life in that single incident that showcased your idiotic arrogance
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Ortegay12: 3:40pm On Nov 18, 2023
Pls it takes like how many weeks to get COS
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hiziks: 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2023
Error401:
Well, I dont know about your family, but mine is wonderful and they are all i've got. If they need help. I will be there for them always. Mikel has always been known as a stingly man since his time when he had some issues with 2 face.

We all know what Ahmed musa and Asisat Oshoala has done and still doing in Nigeria today. What has Mikel given back to the society? You think Argentina and Portugal dont have poor people, Infact poverty in Brazil is magnanimous, you thick these Europeans dont ask too? When last have you seen others go on interview to call their own people beggers.

Attached is a simple google search of "Hammed Musa Gives"
"Mikel Obi Gives" You can see the difference

It is very easy to "give" what you don't have.

The easiest time to be a philanthropist is when you don't have shi shi.

By the time you make N50m through hard work, and your family members and relatives bring their problems worth N40m, then you can have a say.

For now, continue to imagine the imaginary billions you will spend on your family. Imagination is free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by PeachtreeReside(f): 3:51pm On Nov 18, 2023
I guess this informed his decision to marry a foreigner.

I think he should have held shares in the companies he set up for his family then have an Accountant cum General Manager be his eyes and ears. This without doubt make them sit up better and run if like a profit making center.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by LordAdam16: 3:52pm On Nov 18, 2023
bukatyne:

I hope he really prepared for the lean years ahead.

I hope so too.

I'm not worried about him tho'.
He'll be fine.
He married into money.
He played at and established valuable contacts at the highest levels.
As long as he does not spend like he still earns 6 figures per week, he's golden.

All of that said, it's got to sting going from 6 figures per week to zero in your mid 30s.
Bloody hell!

-Lord

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by seunayantokun(m): 3:54pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
You didn't get it right. Mikel is quite correct. I read all he said on BBC and the best way to see his position is put yourself in his shoes. You help others but you don't get drown for them. 1 rich person + 6 poor people = 7 paupers. This mathematics is correct when the rich is a simpleton. You're saying when he dies, his family will be there for him. How does that benefit his life?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hiziks: 3:54pm On Nov 18, 2023
bukatyne:

I hope he really prepared for the lean years ahead.

His family can't help him in his lean years.

Why do you think many celebrities like him come back to beg the public?

Why is Mr. ibu begging the public for money? Are you saying he hasn't done anything for his family?

Truth is families who are leeches can't contribute anything. They'll still beg him even in his lean years. They're that terrible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by seunayantokun(m): 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2023
hiziks:

His family can't help him in his lean years.

Why do you think many celebrities like him come back to beg the public?

Why is Mr. ibu begging the public for money? Are you saying he hasn't done anything for his family?

Truth is families who are leeches can't contribute anything. They'll still beg him even in his lean years. They're that terrible.
Correct.

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by nedekid: 3:56pm On Nov 18, 2023
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by nedekid: 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2023
Ishilove:

Is this an excuse to have more children than you can cater for?
Oga, if you want to help such relatives if you can afford it do, don't look at their deficiencies. If you cannot then back out.
So they have more kids nko, don't you know a poor man cannot go out like you to have side chicks, go clubbing, go abroad on vacations, afford the entertainment, luxury you have? The only pleasure that have is to get home and knack their fat madams for free after a bottle of beer. Watin you think the result go be? Lol

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Badadvisor: 4:14pm On Nov 18, 2023
nedekid:

Oga, I get what you mean, despite that someone on mickel obi's status and wealth may have a certain amount of his income, even if it is 5% to sort out his close relatives, also charity.
See, let me give you an example I learnt from my dad buried last month. I knew he did charity, but I did not know to what extent. Month end he will complain to us he was broke ohh while alive.
See, at his death people comming to wail in shock how they will survive. One mother said she told her son in university, and he had not eaten for 2 days. Apparently, he and lots of others received "salaries" of 20-30k monthly, multitudes of them so far on the list we saw on his phone, pastors, reverend, widows were all getting stipends monthly. Relatives nko, the shocker was my elderly mother in law that wailed, saying pops was sending her "pension" monthly! That one day she got an alert and wondering who sent it, only for him to call her later asking her if she saw any money. He then told her she is was in pension for life! I found out all the father and mother inlaws receive stipends monthly no matter their status. Even my brother's American mother in law! His only surviving uncle and his wife receive 50k each ie 100k monthly plus another 50k to pay a driver to drive the vehicle he bought for them many years ago. Forget about his only surviving older half sister, since I was a kid, dad had always sent salary, back in the day, 80, 90 etc, changed her brand new Toyota lite ace bus every 4 years, only last year, sent her son money to rebuild her house in Ph. Once in a while when he had bulk money, he sends to those his sisters kids to put in their busineses.
See testimonies during his burial and my Jaws dropped, to me this dad that will say his was broke was carrying such heavy load, paying over 200 people, not his workers oh, monthly!
One consultant medical doctor lady spoke of how she dropped out of school due to financial reasons, but dad told her to go back and paid her monthly salary till she graduated as a doctor! 15 men and women in their mid 30s did zoom call from all over the world and more wanted to if not for time, saying if not for dad they will not be where they are today, he paid them spends monthly km the 28 day unfailingly!
Two prominent pastors, one with a house on the rock had his wife there representing, and the other with a house hold of god expressed how they got support during the set up of their ministries. Indians called in from India talking of how they worked in his comapies in the 80, 90s all crying.
Bottomline, not every relative will be sucessful, some try but it does not work. I learnt a lesson not to classify anyone as entitled. If you have give, but don't wound yourself sha. Don't do it like my Oldman that will tell us he is broke, but that brokity no stop him fixed monthly salaries to over 200 people we have seen so far on the list seen on his phone.
Nb:Pardon the long writeup.

Big respect to your Pop.
Used to have an uncle like that.
Some people are just givers, they don't care if you are using them or not.
Sure that's why God kept blessing him even during his old age period.
Big respect to the old man once again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by nedekid: 4:14pm On Nov 18, 2023
Fiscus105:

Before u take responsibilities that are more than what you can bear, think twice ok.

U born more than you can take care and expecting someone to come and feed them for you because he is rich and related to you? That's pure nonsensical!

Money that man owns, he has obligation for his wife, kids and parents. Any other person is secondary oga.
That is why I said, if it can be afforded than yes. It is also by choice of the individual. Not every one is free with their money as you also have wealthy people that chose not to assist relatives and as you say, use it for only their family. It is their choice and rightly.
But for me ohh, I cannot be wealthy and see my siblings not OK. Never!
Monthly despite my humble earning, if I don't give money out monthly, at least over 100. Not to siblings ohh, because they are ok, but to folks that will call. One time, I stopped picking calls when it bacame too much. There are those you will give 10k today, the will think you are a mugu, 3 days later they will call with another problem, omo, I decline them one time. No fight in that.
As my late papa than will say, keep a percentage of your income monthly to assist people.
Once I started doing it, more things fell in.
My opinion though.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by nedekid: 4:15pm On Nov 18, 2023
Badadvisor:

Big respect to your Pop.
Used to have an uncle like that.
Some people are just givers, they don't care if you are using them or not.
Sure that's why God kept blessing him even during his old age period.
Big respect to the old man once again.
Thank bro..

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Bukola94: 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2023
Whalis:
Mikel wouldn't have become a player of repute without a family member introducing him to NFF. Here is Africa. You don't need to reciprocate good gestures on the person who helped you it might be another family member. A family member took Mikel's father to Jos. This is Africa.
U seems know him well. He was Muftau set, many were better players than him, but dem no get the connection and person to introduce them to NFF
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Error401: 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
Lol and the fact that you think I dont have Shishi is so funny!
Not everyone on Nairaland is like you bro. grin

hiziks:

By the time you make N50m through hard work, and your family members and relatives bring their problems worth N40m, then you can have a say.

For now, continue to imagine the imaginary billions you will spend on your family. Imagination is free.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by josite: 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Family is very important but certainly not everything.God is everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by CJStarz: 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2023
He should jus shut up and getat. In Africa,we practise this extended family thing. Ur success is shared by ur extended family just as your sorrow. We are there for each other unlike the oyibos wey dey practice pure nuclear family relationship.
If he died now, izit not his family that will gather and bury him?
Stingy fella like him
Left alone, can he finish the whole money he has before his death?
He should just do the best he can and keep kwayet dia,not to come to the media to yarn rubbish which smacks of arrogance.
One day, the children of d poor who he didn't help will blow and get even richer than him.
The same God Who lifted him is still in the business of lifting others.
Let him jus goan siddon
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Error401: 4:22pm On Nov 18, 2023
lol, imaginary billions grin
I dont need to have billions to give. However, I can have a couple of millions and still give.

Bottom line, not everyone who quote you is broke like you. Now stop quoting me
hiziks:

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Bukola94: 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy
This happens a lot, this have thought me a lesson when dad and mum have health challenge. But I still make sure I carry family along. Since I have been working, I don't have savings. But uncle T has told me to start saving by next year and leave family to sort out themselves
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Bukola94: 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy
U are so right, a boss once told me this
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Qatar2022: 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Learn to make use of your brain first
You are such an idiot, answer him instead
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Qatar2022: 4:27pm On Nov 18, 2023
Whalis:
Image what this one is saying, who is that family member that introduce him to nff

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Qatar2022: 4:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

Poor man mentality, how much will remain for him? How much did he Make? Did he owe them money?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Which Is Easier To Raise, Male Child Or Female Child? / My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife / 10 Pains Of The Nigerian Bachelor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.