Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,427 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27682 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Roozzaay(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2023
Don't worry, dem no dey tell man. Ebue own na small thing.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Welrez(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2023
This culture has a hand in why Africans don't save enough to invest, and why a lot of investments go into ruins!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by stephenponti(m): 11:45am On Nov 18, 2023
Help who you can, ignore who you can't. Nobody force you. When you are dead make sure your corpse doesn't involve African families.

6 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Focusmind: 11:46am On Nov 18, 2023
I could not agree more with him. Well stated, especially from my own experience. You will see those family members that are asking for help breeding kids like rabbits. Once dem born, they will call you for support. It is terrible! One even had the boldness to call for money to do 75th birthday celebration for his mum....someone that have not been able to pay his kids school fees wants to do owambe party for his mum.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Raregem9000(m): 11:47am On Nov 18, 2023
I watched that interview and I must say the guy is hundred percent right with his submission

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by casualobserver: 11:48am On Nov 18, 2023
I really dislike this guy. Are Nigerians the only footballers from poor backgrounds with family hanger-ons? Same thing happens with other African and South American footballers. They dont come on tv or radio selling out their own to please his white masters.

I don’t have a problem with what he said, I have a problem with him saying it to outsiders to get ratings.
O I has an inferiority complex with his stupid fake accent!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by manny4u(m): 11:48am On Nov 18, 2023
They call it "African black tax" your family just feel entitled to your money and don't even give a heck about your mental well being.
"give me, give me" nobody is saying take.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Jcomtrader: 11:48am On Nov 18, 2023
true i learnt the hard way
back in the days when i was cycling hard to learn trading, they would be saying all manner of things at me. when i finally made money, they came asking for loans which they would never return. or when you told them you were having issues, watch them show you colors you never saw before

Gone are the days i carried family wahala for head. its just me and business. even after buying the whole world for them, they still think they deserve, ungreatful people

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DARLINGTON869(m): 11:48am On Nov 18, 2023
Can't blame him. What he said is true. Dude that year sent millions upon millions to his dad to open a transport company in the east...only for the dad and family to squander the money.

10 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by KushLyon(m): 11:50am On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact same words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

This is the best comeback I have seen this year, damn! grin

10 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by voltron14: 11:50am On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Learn to make use of your brain first

Oha answer the questions.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by seunny4lif(m): 11:50am On Nov 18, 2023
Anyone remembered when Mikel opened record label for this brother and sound city wouldn’t allow us to listen to better song because they got paid millions of Naira cheesy

Mikel opened transportation company for his father and all those buses were new then, yet the father wasted the opportunity

He made his junior brother that was playing football act like king because guy was driving latest Benz to the training camp and Mikel even tried his best for that useless brother to play for Nigeria and arranged the guy to register with Chelsea or Arsenal, I can’t remember which one

Mikel is even far, I know someone that his brother have wasted over 7M Naira on his head only on business etc yet he kept saying the brother haven’t helped him.

I think it’s common thing for black people because Jay Z and Chris Rock said same thing Mikel said

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by KwuoteYourFada: 11:51am On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brothe.

Tell us how you have funded your siblings luxurious lifestyles.

Not everyone in nairaland is broke

Just saying

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Biola67: 11:51am On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Learn to make use of your brain first
Answer the question first Oga
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by illicit(m): 11:51am On Nov 18, 2023
True

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Jcomtrader: 11:52am On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Stop comparing Mikel to Mane and compare Mikel to yourself or are you not a man like him?

Tell us how you have bought fleet of brand new buses for your family to manage a transport company.

Tell us how you have pumped in millions in funding, to set up a music recording company for your brothe.

thats how i bought my sibs cars and got them new places to live. the seconds they heard i had issues, you have to hear what came out from the mouth of people i was buying cars for and paying their rent and kids fees
this world i can never go out to impress any family member again

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:52am On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:
I really dislike this guy. Are Nigerians the only footballers from poor backgrounds with family hanger-ons? Same thing happens with other African and South American footballers. They do t co e on tv or radio selling out their own to please his white masters.

O I has an inferiority complex with his stupid fake accent!
It encourages people to b lazy efulefu, to be reckless, wasteful and irresponsible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Jcomtrader: 11:52am On Nov 18, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

Not everyone in nairaland is broke
Just saying

you are all billionaires on nairaland, but begging tinubu to reduce drug prices offline, and posting account numbers all over twitter
fake clowns

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by AzaHub(f): 11:53am On Nov 18, 2023
Be grateful bro

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by whytediamond(m): 11:53am On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

You even get time to reply the mugu. Na them Mikel dey talk about.

8 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Starboytwo(m): 11:54am On Nov 18, 2023
Omo if you no help me, I go find another thing do, I no go hold you to it.

Nobody send anybody mama come.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by decent2(m): 11:55am On Nov 18, 2023
Matrix137:
No lies from Mikel. It's actually true. But honestly, we are blessed mainly to be a blessing to others and not ourselves alone. That is when true joy comes with wealth.

Please someone should kindly assist me with airtime or Data. I'm in an online skill acquisition class and my data just got exhausted and no funds to renew. Please guys. cry

08 148292722 MTN
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by cyrusmillz: 11:55am On Nov 18, 2023
Many people will come for him. But they know that he's right

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by KwuoteYourFada: 11:55am On Nov 18, 2023
Jcomtrader:

you are all billionaires on nairaland, but begging tinubu to reduce drug prices offline, and posting account numbers all over twitter
fake clowns
again not everyone on nairaland is broke .
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by NAC1666: 11:55am On Nov 18, 2023
DyshApp:
Former Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, has stirred reactions online following an attack against demanding family members that act entitled.

In an interview with fellow football player Rio Ferdinand, the former captain of the Super Eagles bemoaned the fact that, in Africa, families frequently have the right to inherit an individual’s wealth.

Video:https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1725199091146096677?t=V8XwUnfMWuCSb-JMaBXMvw&s=19

According to him, when an African person gets money, many cousins and relatives start to make demands, and some of sisters married men who just wanted to related to him because of his status.

The football player said that he sometimes had to be tough and set aside his personal demands since these people have so many children and need him to take care of them.

Mikel Obi stated that these extended family members believe he owes them money and threaten to go to the press if he refuses. It is prevalent in Africa, according to the football player.

In his words;

“When you come from Africa, when you make money, it’s not your money. You have all these relatives, cousins, and your sisters go off and get married to some guy who just wants to get married into Mikel John Obi’s family because his life is sorted, and then you start looking after this guy, and before you know it, they keep having so many kids and you look at it like,

‘Okay, you’re having this many kids, who are going to look after them?’ It’s you! It’s the culture because, for them, you owe them that, so sometimes you have to be strong and say, ‘You know what, guys, enough is enough; I don’t care’. They give you this thing whereby ‘if you don’t do it, we’re going to go to the press’. After all, what have I done for you guys? But this happens a lot in Africa. Not everybody comes out and speaks about it.”

Is this true😂

Follow up with more Relationship Topic on Relationship Talk Loung(link)
Stingy man...who you help. What have Obi done for grassroot he came from. He should look at Eto,didia drogba, Senegal players, doing well for there country people.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Bliss62: 11:56am On Nov 18, 2023
His very own father demanded a transport business with new busses

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by voltron14: 11:56am On Nov 18, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:
Mikel obi yan jos........I no blame am, neni people wan use billing kill am grin grin sheybi dem organise men kidnap him papa that year...

Twice.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Angelfrost(m): 11:56am On Nov 18, 2023
Yeah... The struggle of an average young Nigerian and African man.

At times, it feels like it's a crime to succeed in any way.

The entitlement mentality of most low-income earners and poor people in this part of the globe is atrocious.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by hunee: 11:57am On Nov 18, 2023
Africans/Nigerians with entitlement mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DKM123: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2023
This is so true.
Nigerians can be very entitled to the money of thier family members. You see them having kids they can't cater to, living a lifestyle that thier finance cannot carry.

They make no plans for eventualities and will instead spend every penny they have on things that aren't "needs" but "wants", instead of saving no matter how LITTLE. Then when sheet hits they fan, they expect other people to take on thier responsibilities.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by maasoap(m): 11:58am On Nov 18, 2023
And how many family members of his did he lift out of poverty? Enjoy your money and let's rest.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by AwokenVawulence: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

I used that brain to learn how the brain works and after being certified, now assessing how other people's brain works, is how I earn my daily bread......so make another attempt to "insult" me. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On a lighter note, I have had numerous psychiatric patients who I have worked with tell me your exact same words and I always jokingly replied them, working with you here in the psychiatric facility is me making use of my brain. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wow congrats bro , God bless your hustle

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"You’re My Father" -Student; "No, I’m Not, Please" – Ex -lawmaker / Which Is Easier To Raise, Male Child Or Female Child? / My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.