Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,319 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56406 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by koning: 2:45pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?

You gave them "Shortcake and juice". You did not see where they sell Hollandis or lace in Lagos. You gave your future mother-in-law Biscuits. You're an Ijiot. You must be a Yorooba guy.

You should have accepted the bread anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ekugbeh(m): 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2023
Rejecting the gift was your choice and there's nothing anyone can do about. They can go and complain. You bought them gifts and they gave you food which you ate.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by frank317: 2:47pm On Nov 20, 2023
All these lagoa brought ups way no sabi home training again... Mtchewww

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by rollywise(m): 2:47pm On Nov 20, 2023
Wherever you go, always leave a good impression. Imagine what they must have said about you while you've left. If I were your in-law, I would feel if you could show such arrogance before the family then our sister is going through hell in your hands. Don't be surprised if they called your girlfriend and be asking questions like, does he hit you? The more she says no, the more they feel she's been blinded by love into a marriage of doom. You have a lot of impression to put in place to undo this very wrong impression you have set for yourself!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by MasterTeeUSA: 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
This is a reflection of our declining culture. They used to teach us as kids not to reject any gift even If you plan to give it away, throw it away or use it. Someone failed to teach cultural values here...and that is the reason our society has fallen so far. Now imagine getting married to their daughter...beginning of shege, disrespect begins ..so what should they do with the bread? Eat it...better go back, apologize profusely and collect the bread

PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by aestake: 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
henrimoto:
Ishilove!! Gbam! You don talk am finish . 1000 likes for you! Na the guy gift na him even look too common sef but the in-laws receive am with happiness.

The guy never wan gree say him no do well there
That bread was a protest gift.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Yes, you did everything wrong.You are not supposed to reject any gift no matter how insignificant from your prospective in-laws.
Your attitude will invariably portray you as a pompous and arrogant person who never fails to look down on others.
You are 100% wrong.
BTW who says bread offered to you is a demeaning gift? Only shallow minded and foolish people think like that.
Spiritually,BREAD symbolises God's Provision and Sustenance.
Why did Jesus Christ refer to Himself as the Bread of Life?Why did He use bread and wine on His Last Supper?
My friend,stop behaving foolishly and act like a reasonable man, starting first by apologizing to that woman.You really offended her.
No reasonable man in his right senses rejects any gift whatsoever from his prospective in-laws.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Ebullient76(m): 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
Applying wisdom in this situation would've been the best. African parents look out for slight fault... They tasted your kind of personality and they've gotten the answer they need.
Just look for a to remedy the spilt milk.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by tarboshi(m): 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
Marriage is not for children.

Better continue the boyfriend-girlfriend thing, till you are ready.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Pastorwuta: 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You are very immature in the things of courtship and marriage. Some traditions will outrightly reject you if you do that. In some case, you have to pay your way to appeal to their conscience of the elders.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
Neptunium:
You should have collected it.

Is this the girlfriend who's pregnant for you?

https://www.nairaland.com/7847853/how-girlfriends-mum-prevented-us

You give their daughter pregnant no marriage yet you stil get get mouth
Oh... Na Entanglement grin grin

No wonder disrespect much. My heart is with the girl cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 2:50pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kajaard:
You did not apply emotional intelligence at all.

Yes, you should have collected the bread.

Most African parents/ In laws et al might think you are disrespectful by rejecting their gift.

This is not the western world. You should have collected the bread no matter how local or little it looks. Cheers.
You are very correct.Exactly what I told him.
No reasonable man in his right senses rejects any gift whatsoever from his prospective in-laws.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Chuzoetoh(m): 2:50pm On Nov 20, 2023
Guy as you visited them n brought biscuits for them fine, but the people you visited went inside to bring out bread for you, tho it looks awkward but common sense should have told you that you ought to have collected the bread, you can quietly throw it away on your way back, that's completely your business but you shouldn't have rejected it in their front, just know that they won't even touch your biscuits, the trust is broken here, so I don't think you going ahead with their daughter is a good idea.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Brownemeka: 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

strange gift to someone who visited you... might be their own tradition though

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by lordswill03: 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
So technically you went with biscuits and you were offered bread but you rejected it? Biscuits and bread which is higher abeg

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
emmyt2:
Question ❓
1. Did they know that you were coming?
If yes, Bread is a wrong gift to give to a prospective inlaw while leaving the house.
2. Did you tell your girl that you were going to see her parents?
The food they served you should have been enough gift from them .
Why bread ?
Is a NO NO FOR ME.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED.
So are you saying that you are the one that will determine what you'll be gifted, especially in your in-law's house?
To start with, can you take biscuit and juice to your in-laws' house as a gift on your first day in their house? Yet they collected it from him without hesitation and complaint.
Say his in-laws na children wey deserve biscuit and juice bah?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by pendragonbladgo(m): 2:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
yeye Man like you, how can you reject a give from your in-laws, aba, I never get in-laws but I can't reject a gift even if they offer me condom.

It's left for you to collect it but inform the your girl to tell her family not to offer such gift again!!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by flexyrule(m): 2:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.
Your type go hard to stay house with.

I wish your future wife the very best of luck.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by IamAtikulate: 2:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

You didn't get it.

They offered you bread because you refused to buy bread for them. It's a subtle jab.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Blackdisciple(m): 2:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
A gift is a gift no matter how small you might think it is...

4 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2023
mabea:
He ate the food oga
So the bread that he rejected is not a food bah?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by nedekid: 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2023
Op, you sure say you don mature enough to marry?

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by qtx(m): 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

How old are you bros? And you want to marry? what is wrong with collecting bread from your wife to be's mother just for the sake of appreciation. She might feel you think bread was to low a gift for her to give you. If i were you i would have collected even if i didnt need it and will get home and dash it. A gift is a gift bro.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by osazsky(m): 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
Goat u buy biscuits for ur inlaws as if they are kids....u see nothing wrong in buying common biscuit for them but u see wrong in accepting bread

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by nedekid: 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2023
flexyrule:
Your type go hard to stay house with.

I wish your future wife the very best of luck.
Same here, hope she understands what she is getting into.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Lifted07: 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2023
I hope your intended can see this. You are a Red Flag 🚩 for that girl! Period.

PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2023
tosyne2much:
All this woke generation sef.... Your in-law offered you a gift you deemed the gift inconsequential and you even had to show your displeasure in your countenance... Imagine! For the place wey you wan pick wife.. You never ready to marry bro!

There are still some things you're yet to understand about marriage, culture and relating with in-laws

Soon you will know it!
This is the same person that saw nothing wrong in bringing common biscuit as gift for his in-law fah.
Wisdom is truly profitable to direct. 😂😂

3 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by DiamondPant(f): 3:00pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You did the right thing by rejecting the gift of bread. Are they sending you to the last supper?
Like who does that!!
Are they saying that you can't afford to buy bread?
Of all the things they could have given you, it's bread they chose?
C'mon guys, that's wrong na.
@OP, you did well to reject the offer.
Now put your left hand on your head and repeat after me:
"I have messed up big time and I need deliverance"
You better go back to PH, lie flat on the ground and apologize to those people for that nonsense you did.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Coronavirus1: 3:00pm On Nov 20, 2023
You should have collected the bread ,and should have bought them Lagos bread than biscuits people in the village like bread so much ,the reason you where given bread is because you forget the important things village people love most. You should apologise to your fiance.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by regenerateman(m): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2023
In this world, the spiritual controls the physical. The woman physicallly gave you her daughter through the bread and you rejected it. Which implies that by rejecting the bread phycally, you have rejected her daughter physically. Go back and collect the bread or ask her to send it to you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Dybala11(m): 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2023
SenecaTheYonger:

Gift are not symbolic at all. You're just throwing words you don't even understand around.
Since he wants to tell us about how symbolic gifts are, maybe he should tell us how logical it is to give ordinary biscuit and juice as gifts to his prospective in-law. Shebi na pikin him in-law be na. 😂😂

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by normaman(m): 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
Perhaps you’ve failed the test. It might have been intentional to make it as simple as a break just to know how you’ll pull through it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Dies 4 Days After Her Wedding (Photos) / Twins Burnt To Death In Calabar After Mother Went To Meet Boyfriend (Graphic) / My Wife Misbehaves Because I Cheated On Her.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.