Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? - Family (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? (56238 Views)

SEE HOW I COLLECTED MY OWN ONE BAG OF RICE!! PICS. / My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Slay Queen Poses On Her Mother’s Coffin In Her Grave During Burial In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Authur729(m): 5:13pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?
Please, did I do anything wrong rejecting the bread?
Na wa for you state to state you go them give you bread to give your family you reject am,you for take am brother

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GetMeRight: 5:14pm On Nov 20, 2023
yoniehuin:

Na man you be

You know your worth and i like your courage

Giving a visitor 2 slice of bread is an insult and not a good thing
Two loafs, not two slices. Those loafs could be big ones for that matter. Were they even supposed to give him anything? No.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by cutesharon(f): 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
We always dont have to overthink things. It will help to appreciategood gestures wholeheartedly. Not everything is a test. Anyways to each their own. Make the babe just breakup with him cos na future trouble be this. They will always remember. Same way he thought it is a test, they also now have thought of the rejection as some thing else.
drimzsmoke:

A lot of you didn't get the OP, OP felt they've done enough already with the meal and felt he shouldn't take the bread not to inconvenience them. I would have done the same sha
You've given me correct meal, still won come add takeaway join and you'd expect me to collect such. When I'm not ole onijekuje!!!
I swear, I'll feel like it's a test to know if I'm a greedy person or something

1. He felt they've done more than enough already
2. He didn't want to get them something common, hence the assorted biscuit(I've never gone home to visit my mum with bread before and NEVER will. When there is smoked catfish, Pringles, chocolate, ice-cream and shortbread
3. Let's say I'm getting married to a girl whose mum sells garri or smoked fish, I would feel more comfortable if she were to give me garri/smoked fish as a take home gift compared to something she's using her money to go buy, I'll feel like I'm being a burden or "inconveniencing" the "poor" woman!!!
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by RichAbujaGuy: 5:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
A word of wisdom for those that continually use the entire quote to respond.
A simple @Op or @op's name will suffice and will save us all scrolling time and data charges.
Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GetMeRight: 5:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
KillahPriest:
I'll just believe you made this story up if not, it'll mean you no get orientation at all honestly. That so called common bread is a symbolic gesture to show that they appreciate your coming there, some people give other foodstuff like garri or plantain bunches or palm oil but the message is still the same. If you can't appreciate little gestures, I'm sorry, you'll have regular problems in your marriage by the time see finish has happened. Please call and apologize and next time, go with an elder who will point these things out for you because I'm sure you went with a fellow guy man wey no get compass
His friend told him to collect it. Is that not what an elder would say too?
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
folake4u:

Na the biscuits muzz me pass. 🀣🀣🀣🀣
As in!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Biscuits! Lol like biscuits! like he carry biscuits go in-laws house, still get mouth dey complain grin grin grin

I don't understand grin
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Itiskdg121(m): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
Hmmm. I never ever thought of that.
You are right
Ayodeoba:
not adding salt might be a test of fate to see if you will end the love for their child when beauty drops

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Tallesty1(m): 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
That bread could also be a subtle reminder that you didn't buy one for them.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Cutehector(m): 5:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
Abeg getat.. U be difficult person.. Mchew..if na my sister u trry that rubbish with, i go pursue you commot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BinamRex: 5:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:
I traveled from Lagos to Port Harcourt to see my future in laws family. My girl wasn't around as she's still in Lagos schooling.

I went there with a family member and got them some items like shortcake biscuits and juice.

They offered us food and we ate. After the meeting and normal questioning, we were set to go when surprisingly, this people brought out two loaves of bread and gave us. I told them that the food we ate was enough, that we don't need the bread.

We haven't even gone far when my girl started texting me on WhatsApp angrily asking me why I rejected her mother's gift. That she gave it out of love, this and that.

I told her that bread is the wrongest gift the mother could give me. I am supposed to buy them bread and not the one way round. I intentionally refused to buy bread for them because I assumed bread is an everyday food that people buy and eat, so I decided to go with the package biscuits instead and here they are offering me bread.

If it were something produced locally by them like coconut or something, I can understand but bread?

You are foolish, pompous and arrogant. You should have collected the bread and thanked them. Kai! I pity her if she goes ahead to marry you. You seem like a problematic person. My friend, get the fuvk!

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by onedayatime(m): 5:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
drimzsmoke:

A lot of you didn't get the OP, OP felt they've done enough already with the meal and felt he shouldn't take the bread not to inconvenience them. I would have done the same sha
You've given me correct meal, still won come add takeaway join and you'd expect me to collect such. When I'm not ole onijekuje!!!
I swear, I'll feel like it's a test to know if I'm a greedy person or something

1. He felt they've done more than enough already
2. He didn't want to get them something common, hence the assorted biscuit(I've never gone home to visit my mum with bread before and NEVER will. When there is smoked catfish, Pringles, chocolate, ice-cream and shortbread
3. Let's say I'm getting married to a girl whose mum sells garri or smoked fish, I would feel more comfortable if she were to give me garri/smoked fish as a take home gift compared to something she's using her money to go buy, I'll feel like I'm being a burden or "inconveniencing" the "poor" woman!!!
No 1. The OP felt insulted ( he wrote that himself ) for a bread as a parting gift.

No 2. If you like, you can go visit your parents empty-handed ( it is normal ) but not to your in-laws' house.

No 3. Whether bread is too common or not. Bread is still better than short bread biscuits in all ways. Why can't he buy them wine instead of that biscuit.

No 4. You are not the one to tell them bread is insulting to you. Just accept it and if you were to reject the bread. Them ask for something less expensive than what they want to give you with humour. Something along the line like "Mummy. I want to taste PH garri o even if it is small". They will even be happy with you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

I don't really think we need bread again to take home.
See Damage! Are you being serious.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BinamRex: 5:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Gifts are symbolic you know.

Stupid person. You are still rationalizing your stupidity.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by folake4u(f): 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
Persephone1:
As in!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Biscuits! Lol like biscuits! like he carry biscuits go in-laws house, still get mouth dey complain grin grin grin

I don't understand grin

Lmao. I was screaming ehn. grin grin grin grin

Later they'd say Gen Z are disrespectful. Something wey we nor fit do oh. grin grin

I'm still muzzed mehn. I want to believe he's trolling sha.

Na even the bread better pass, person fit chop am belleful with groundnut, butter, tea, stew, sardine, soft drink etc

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by GetMeRight: 5:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are just foaming in the mouth. These people already served us food and we ate.

And you said you wanted to hear broad opinions. But now that everyone is castigating you, you resort to insulting everyone, lol. You didn't start this thread to hear the truth, you just wanted to see if few people here would validate your childish behaviour but you're wrong. Stubborn kid, mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BinamRex: 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
thesicilian:
Find a way to remedy the situation. In some cultures you rejecting a gift is almost as bad as rejecting the gift giver. And then you made it worse by telling the daughter that it was the wrongest gift they could give you. Who does that? Do you think your biscuits and juice they accepted wholeheartedly from you they couldn't afford to get them on their own if they wanted to?

The girl will make a mistake marrying him. Marrying a man she can't advise will be the biggest mistake of her life.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by jlo247(m): 5:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

If I were the in-laws I will not allow my daughter to marry you because u will have pride and you don't have African training and you are not cultured. Who refuses a gift from am In-law. I no say you no be Omo kaaro Ojire

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Lomprico2: 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

You for still collect am politely. But e get as e be sha!

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BinamRex: 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ginaz:

which broader opinion do you need again? you're looking for someone to support the nonsense you did? you are wrong period! go and apologise immediately. imagine if somone treated your parents like that would you be happy?

I really don't like what you did. you're annoyingly stupid.

Exceedingly stupid. He is such a stupid fellow
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by prophetfire: 5:29pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

It's not about it being local or little. The Bread was gotten from Market Square super market. I just find it awkward giving bread to your son-in-law to be on the first meeting.

Bro, it's a taboo to reject your mother inlaw or father in-law gifts.
You weren't raised well boy.
You have released a wrong spark there. It's not good.
You have to apologize before you start a chain of reactions that would affect your marriage. If possible, let your mother call and apologize.

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by Lomprico2: 5:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

So na gold wrist watch you dey expect ? undecided

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BinamRex: 5:32pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

The bread is meant for your friends and family members, especially the ones who knew that you were going to see your prospective in-laws. They didn't say it like that because they thought you had common sense. O boy! You be fool.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by xjiggy: 5:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

As far as you ate the food they gave you and respectfully declined the offer of Bread.... Bro be at peace. You've done nothing wrong.
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by drimzsmoke(m): 5:35pm On Nov 20, 2023
onedayatime:

No 1. The OP felt insulted ( he wrote that himself ) for a bread as a parting gift.

No 2. If you like, you can go visit your parents empty-handed ( it is normal ) but not to your in-laws' house.

No 3. Whether bread is too common or not. Bread is still better than short bread biscuits in all ways. Why can't he buy them wine instead of that biscuit.

No 4. You are not the one to tell them bread is insulting to you. Just accept it and if you were to reject the bread. Them ask for something less expensive than what they want to give you with humour. Something along the line like "Mummy. I want to taste PH garri o even if it is small". They will even be happy with you

1. English is hard, I'm 100% sure he wanted to say embarrassed not insulted

2. I don't stress myself with all these kind of stuffs, I'll put money inside envelop and give to my mother-in-law and I'm done. I don't know how to buy gifts because I won't know what you need or will value.
The last time I gave someone a gift was last year, and that's my nephew, he requested for a PS 3 and I got him a PS 3!!!

3. The total of what he bought is more expensive than bread. Like I said I won't even buy any. Wahala for who dey buy gifts

4. The OP used a wrong English word, nothing more, he felt embarrassed they were doing or did what he should have done!!!

Now to end this whole talk, if I should go to my in-laws house and give the mother 50k inside envelope just because say I visit. Trust me, even if she gave me 10 loaves of bread and I rejected it. After I've left, what she will tell her daughter on the phone is this, "please help me thank your fiance, he is such a nice gentle man!!!" OP is a poor man, period!!!
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by KillahPriest: 5:39pm On Nov 20, 2023
GetMeRight:

His friend told him to collect it. Is that not what an elder would say too?
no vex abeg, my bad
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by chiboycue: 5:40pm On Nov 20, 2023
PuZZyNegro:

Yes you did something wrong by rejecting the 2 loaves of bread offered to you by your future- in- laws. You would have looked beyond whether the gift was a bread or not and just accepted the gift.

It is because this historic visit was your first encounter with your future in-laws and rejection of their gift (expensive 2 loaves of bread) which was given to you from the bottom of their heart is a red flag.

How would you have felt if your future in-laws had rejected your gifts on ground that your gifts were "common shortcake buscuit and juice ??

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by BinamRex: 5:44pm On Nov 20, 2023
toluxe0075:
Something you should have collected and joke about tearing it apart with beans later in the day.

Honestly 😁😁

The guy isn't a smart person

1 Like

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by mabea: 5:44pm On Nov 20, 2023
Dybala11:

So the bread that he rejected is not a food bah?
That one na gift. Lol
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by drimzsmoke(m): 5:45pm On Nov 20, 2023
cutesharon:
We always dont have to overthink things. It will help to appreciategood gestures wholeheartedly.[b Not everything is a test.[/b] Anyways to each their own. Make the babe just breakup with him cos na future trouble be this. They will always remember. Same way he thought it is a test, they also now have thought of the rejection as some thing else.

For me, if you should come to my house to ask for my daughter's hand in marriage and you keep taking everything I offered you. I'll tell my daughter after you've left that you will a husband who cheats, someone who can't be contented with 1 thing, someone who doesn't know when to stop.... But like you said, to each their own!!!
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by sync(f): 5:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
You actually went to visit your future in-laws with biscuits and juice lol

2 Likes

Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by doggedfighter(f): 5:50pm On Nov 20, 2023
folake4u:

Lmao. I was screaming ehn. grin grin grin grin

Later they'd say Gen Z are disrespectful. Something wey we nor fit do oh. grin grin

I'm still muzzed mehn. I want to believe he's trolling sha.

We even the bread better pass, person fit chop am belleful with groundnut, butter, tea, stew, sardine, soft drink et

Folake, you have finished the said bread with this listπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: Should I Have Collected The Bread From Her Mother? by lexxwiz(m): 5:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
This marriage will not last with your level of thinking. NoCap!

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Man Abandons His Young Wife And Kids, Moves In With Another Lady. Photos / Shalom Shoremi: Lesbian Disowned By Family On Newspaper For Same Sex Marriage / "My Husband Employed Imam To Have Sex With Me For 3 Days" – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.