Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,834 members, 7,862,740 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:38 AM

Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It (639 Views)

Opobo Is An Igbo Man's Name (1830) / If The Kingdom Of Opobo Is Ijaw, Where Is King Jaja Of Opobo From? / "There Is Nothing Like Delta Igbo, Igbo Is Igbo"~governor Ifeanyi Okowa Of Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 5:42pm On Nov 25, 2023
Opobo will forever will be igboland
Opobo was founded by King Jaja (1821- 1891) in the 18th century and King Jaja was a former Igbo slave called JuboJubogha but renamed “Ja-Ja” by the Europeans because the name was too long to be called. He built Opobo from scratch and transformed it to a commercial Kingdom

4 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 5:43pm On Nov 25, 2023
The Nwaotam cult emerged from the deity of ancient Ibani people called the Ottam people. These people were brought in mostly to satisfy the Europeans’ quest for human commodities in the 18th and 19th century.

According to the memories of late captain High Crow of Liverpool (1791: P 201) who visited Bonny for trade, “the Ottam tribe are stout and robust and of a deeper black than any other tribes at Bonny. Their bodies and face are carved and tattooed in a frightful manner.”

The Ottams were not only notable for the worship of spirits they called ‘Mmoh’; but were also brought into Bonny as adults, therefore the description ‘Ottam Mmku’ was made popular in Bonny. It was also in this line, that their working strength, tribal marks and rascality gave them another local phrase, Ottam Ahiriha.

The Ibani tradition has it that the Nwa-Otam originated from a dark mythical grove in Mkpajekiri around Ohambele Ndoki. By this time, the Ndoki native, which included the Ottam tribes men, had started serving this ‘Mmoh’ gods believed to be heterosexual; and would organise dance during a season of the year. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 5:44pm On Nov 25, 2023
You just need to hear them speak. The people of Opobo and Bonny all speak one native language - Igbo. No other language whatsoever do they speak in addition. Neighbouring towns surrounding Bonny may still speak Ibani but Bonny town proper speaks pure Igbo. The first Igbo bible was written in Bonny Igbo, and the dialect is notable for saying, 'ike m' for 'me' which funny enough means 'my buttocks' in other Igbo dialects and 'ike gi' for 'you/yours' which means 'your buttocks' in other Igbo dialects. Chinua Achebe, in one of his books, had written about a funny Igbo christian interpreter from a distant land to his town who was known for saying, 'ike m' and 'ie gi', which confused the people of his village. Many of these people, though, bear 'Ibani' names such as Fiberesima etc. they barely know the meaning of in addition to Igbo names as well. They all practise Igbo customs, namely 'omugwo', and celebrate Igbo festivals they share in common with their Ndoki Igbo neighbours such as the Nwaotam festival. However, their dressing style is Rivers/Riverine style.

5 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by TheBillyonaire: 5:47pm On Nov 25, 2023
Is anyone arguing with that history?

3 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by FuckingMachine: 5:48pm On Nov 25, 2023
Only a delusional person doesn't know that Rivers State is Igbo. The whole South South partition is just for Afonjers that don't leave their region.

How can you ignore events of mere 200 years ago where Igbos lived and controlled slave trade in same Rivers State to tell me that you're of a different tribe?

As a matter of fact, any non-Igbo tribe in Rivers State must be the leftover slaves that settled there after slave trade was abolished and no longer lucrative.

2 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by TheBillyonaire: 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2023
Brek:
The Nwaotam cult emerged from the deity of ancient Ibani people called the Ottam people. These people were brought in mostly to satisfy the Europeans’ quest for human commodities in the 18th and 19th century.

According to the memories of late captain High Crow of Liverpool (1791: P 201) who visited Bonny for trade, “the Ottam tribe are stout and robust and of a deeper black than any other tribes at Bonny. Their bodies and face are carved and tattooed in a frightful manner.”

The Ottams were not only notable for the worship of spirits they called ‘Mmoh’; but were also brought into Bonny as adults, therefore the description ‘Ottam Mmku’ was made popular in Bonny. It was also in this line, that their working strength, tribal marks and rascality gave them another local phrase, Ottam Ahiriha.

The Ibani tradition has it that the Nwa-Otam originated from a dark mythical grove in Mkpajekiri around Ohambele Ndoki. By this time, the Ndoki native, which included the Ottam tribes men, had started serving this ‘Mmoh’ gods believed to be heterosexual; and would organise dance during a season of the year. [/b]

WTF
Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Ruke1989: 6:03pm On Nov 25, 2023
You cannot tell the history of a people for them. The opobo governor and people of opobo says they are ijaw but to satisfy your ego, you say no they must be igbo. I know it's hard for you to understand that language is learned and because we all speak English doesn't make us British citizens.

I am from orogun town in delta state. In orogun, we speak ukwani, urhobo and some understand isoko. Some orogun people like myself speak ukwani (adulterated igbo dialect) but do not speak urhobo. How is this possible?

1) intermarriages: two generations backward, it was a taboo for orogun people to marry from within orogun. It was considered incest. I didn't know this history but through an observation. I asked my maternal grandmother now in her 80s that why did most grannies of their time marry to women or men from igbo speaking towns. She told me it was considered incest and was a taboo to marry from our town orogun if you are orogun, so they all marry from the neighboring towns which speak urhobo, isoko and ukwani so as not to break a taboo. The taboo was lifted by a king that emerged in her time making it possible for her to marry from orogun. Because of the intermarriages, urhobo was becoming an extinct language in orogun (an urhobo town)
2) proximity to the ukwani, isoko and urhobo meant they traded in these three languages, married from those communities. South South people are more open minded and embrace people of other cultures, learn other cultures than the igbo, Yoruba and hausa. That doesn't mean they have lost their biological makeup (DNA) just because they welcome and assimilate other cultures. Ijaw people treats their slaves/domestic servants as freeborn having equal right as children born into a home. That's why jaja of opobo, a slave boy could rise to become king of opobo. In contrast, igbos from Anambra deny igbos of ebonyi any right because they are seen as slaves by birth. Igbos are unable to comprehend how south south minority tribes assimilate other cultures because they view the whole thing from their igbo mindset whereby people are discriminated against of they are considered slave or even if seen as non igbo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Paraman: 6:07pm On Nov 25, 2023
Brek:
Opobo will forever will be igboland
Opobo was founded by King Jaja (1821- 1891) in the 18th century and King Jaja was a former Igbo slave called JuboJubogha but renamed “Ja-Ja” by the Europeans because the name was too long to be called. He built Opobo from scratch and transformed it to a commercial Kingdom
Fubara is a full blooded Ijaw man

4 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Christistruth00: 6:11pm On Nov 25, 2023
Brek you have left the other Thread to cause Trouble here again

Ok Opobo is Ijaw

Your kings no dey bear Amanyabo O!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Ruke1989: 6:12pm On Nov 25, 2023
Language is learned skill, it's not biologically passed. Marrying igbo women, trading in igbo slaves is the major reason igbo language infiltrated rivers state. Ijaws treated their domestic slaves as freeborn having equal right with children born into a home, that's why jaja who came as a slave boy could rise to become king. Igbos don't treat their ebonyi slaves with such dignity, that's why it is hard for them to accept this truth from ijaws. You can't teach them their history. Because igbo slave dealership was a big time business, the natives learnt the language to be successful in the business. Igbo was a business language for the ethnic ijaws of opobo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2023
Christistruth00:
Brek you have left the other Thread to cause Trouble here again

Ok Opobo is Ijaw

Your kings no dey bear Amanyabo O!
Mtchewwww

1 Like

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 6:56pm On Nov 25, 2023
Ruke1989:
Language is learned skill, it's not biologically passed. Marrying igbo women, trading in igbo slaves is the major reason igbo language infiltrated rivers state. Ijaws treated their domestic slaves as freeborn having equal right with children born into a home, that's why jaja who came as a slave boy could rise to become king. Igbos don't treat their ebonyi slaves with such dignity, that's why it is hard for them to accept this truth from ijaws. You can't teach them their history. Because igbo slave dealership was a big time business, the natives learnt the language to be successful in the business. Igbo was a business language for the ethnic ijaws of opobo
So you wrote a whole paragraph yapping about how ijaw treated their slaves good while igbos treated their slaves bad
Also how did igbo reach opobo in the first place then?

1 Like

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 6:57pm On Nov 25, 2023
Ruke1989:
You cannot tell the history of a people for them. The opobo governor and people of opobo says they are ijaw but to satisfy your ego, you say no they must be igbo. I know it's hard for you to understand that language is learned and because we all speak English doesn't make us British citizens.

I am from orogun town in delta state. In orogun, we speak ukwani, urhobo and some understand isoko. Some orogun people like myself speak ukwani (adulterated igbo dialect) but do not speak urhobo. How is this possible?

1) intermarriages: two generations backward, it was a taboo for orogun people to marry from within orogun. It was considered incest. I didn't know this history but through an observation. I asked my maternal grandmother now in her 80s that why did most grannies of their time marry to women or men from igbo speaking towns. She told me it was considered incest and was a taboo to marry from our town orogun if you are orogun, so they all marry from the neighboring towns which speak urhobo, isoko and ukwani so as not to break a taboo. The taboo was lifted by a king that emerged in her time making it possible for her to marry from orogun. Because of the intermarriages, urhobo was becoming an extinct language in orogun (an urhobo town)
2) proximity to the ukwani, isoko and urhobo meant they traded in these three languages, married from those communities. South South people are more open minded and embrace people of other cultures, learn other cultures than the igbo, Yoruba and hausa. That doesn't mean they have lost their biological makeup (DNA) just because they welcome and assimilate other cultures. Ijaw people treats their slaves/domestic servants as freeborn having equal right as children born into a home. That's why jaja of opobo, a slave boy could rise to become king of opobo. In contrast, igbos from Anambra deny igbos of ebonyi any right because they are seen as slaves by birth. Igbos are unable to comprehend how south south minority tribes assimilate other cultures because they view the whole thing from their igbo mindset whereby people are discriminated against of they are considered slave or even if seen as non igbo
The second point is all yapping about how igbos don't treat their slaves well I beg you to give me a source of Anambra people mocking ebonyi

1 Like

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 6:59pm On Nov 25, 2023
Ruke1989:
Opobo is located to the east of the Kingdom of Bonny. Bonny and Opobo are of the same origin, both associated with the Ndoki people.[a] an Igbo subgroup.[3] Jubo Jubogha rose from slavery to lead the Anna Pepple chieftaincy house of Bonny

3 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Christistruth00: 12:43am On Nov 26, 2023
Brek:

The second point is all yapping about how igbos don't treat their slaves well I beg you to give me a source of Anambra people mocking ebonyi

Ok
You treated the Osu Caste Perfectly

Happy now?

1 Like

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by ednut1(m): 12:45am On Nov 26, 2023
Edo and igbo i no sabi who claim people pass 😆. The so called opobo people are osu in you ranking. Suddenly you want to claim them

2 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Wahabfuture: 1:29am On Nov 26, 2023
ednut1:
Edo and igbo i no sabi who claim people pass 😆. The so called opobo people are osu in you ranking. Suddenly you want to claim them

How is that your problem, elede🐖
Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Crazybeard: 1:40am On Nov 26, 2023
Ruke1989:

This comment deserves a thousand likes.
Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Wahabfuture: 1:50am On Nov 26, 2023
Christistruth00:

Ok

Happy now?

Can you stop fouling this thread with your demented ignorance!!!
Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:50am On Nov 26, 2023
Ruke1989:

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

See this one feeling all ‘superior’ and funky! He has somehow convinced himself that the tiny and disparate tribes that settled on the Niger-Delta coast, and are grouped together under the name Ijaw, were the ones raiding Igbo villages and selling captured Igbo into slavery in the New World and Europe!

Does it make sense to you that a former slave entered your territory and founded the Opobo city-state, and went on to become one of the greatest traders of his day!? Does it make sense to you that Opobo and Bonny speak the language of the people you purport to have ‘enslaved’!? What happened to the language of the ‘slave masters’!?

Dude, if your ancestors (that’s assuming you’re Ijaw) were as powerful and organised as you claim…and if THEY were the ones selling others into slavery and owning Igbo slaves, care to tell us why there is little or no recorded studies that speak of the ‘great Ijaw civilisation’!? Or is it that you didn’t make any money from the slave trade you brag you engaged in to fix up your cities…at least to the level of Benin City!? Could it be that you probably fritted away all the ‘profit’ from ‘trading in Igbo slaves’ while drowning your sorrows in ogogoro and screwing pu55’y all evening when you come back from ‘raiding Igbo villages!? At least for the Igbo, we have all heard of the Igboukwu bronze sculptures and pyramids (i stand to be corrected on where the pyramids were built in Igboland); we’ve equally heard of the nsibidi writing system that was used in Alaigbo during pre and colonial times; we’ve heard of the structured market days they used to organise their calendar; we’ve also heard of the established democratic system of gov’t used in Alaigbo pre and during colonial times; Onitsha became the seat of the Catholic Church in colonial Nigeria; Onitsha market became the largest in West (and possibly Central) Africa during colonial times; i could go on and on! Pray tell, what stories of Ijaw accomplishments can you regale us with…that is besides the ones you dreamt up during a vigorous wanking session!? Surely, the people that ‘enslaved’ the Igbo should have some social and economic accomplishments to brag about…ones greater than the people they ‘enslaved’!?

Pre and post colonialism, Ndigbo produced greats like Nnamdi Azikiwe (mentioned in the same breath with the likes of Kwame Nkrumah and Julius Nyerere), Sir Louis Ojukwu, Chinua Achebe, Flora Nwapa, Cyprian Ekwensi, Dadi Onyeama, Ben Enweowu, Emeka Anyaoku, Francis Cardinal Arinze, Prince Nico Mbarga, Oriental Brothers, etc-etc-etc! Who are the greats of the slave-trading Ijaw you can mention…..those who made some impact on the world stage!?

3 Likes

Re: Opobo Is Igbo Land Deal With It by Brek: 5:59am On Nov 26, 2023
Christistruth00:

Ok

Happy now?
Ah yes referring to an ancient culture practice Igbos still marry anyone still today

(1) (Reply)

Ipob Uk Stage Protest To Release Nnamdi Kanu At Downing Street Uk (pics & Video) / Discos Set To Hike Electricity Tariffs Jan 1, 2024 / Orji Kalu Shares 5000 Bags Of Rice, Cash To 13 Villages In Igbere For New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.