Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,774 members, 7,824,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? (29985 Views)

Why Do Nigerians See Relocating Back To The Village As Failure / Different Kinds Of Nigerian/African Fathers And Their Characters (Meme) / Kabiru Ishaq Sa'id Celebrates His 3 Wives, Gives Them Pet Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Mayeldah(m): 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2023
Angelfrost:
Many of them are largely from those parts of Nigeria where they despise their cultures and bow stupidly to Western religions...!

How can an African proudly bear foreign names as first and last names??! What a shame!!!

So what's the difference between them and those that bears Mohammed, Rihanat, Paul, matthew and the rest arabic and bible names? They are all foreign names

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by SenecaTheYonger: 2:07pm On Dec 01, 2023
never seen anyone in Nigeria with English surname name
eepeepook:
Name: Mark Surname: John.

Name: Tony Middle name: Excel Surname: Livingston.

Name: Jennifer Surname: Confidence.

Seriously, where are they from? I remember we give names from our dialects. Some people have English names but only as first names or preferred ones. Their ‘native names’ dominate all of their official documents. In the given examples, those English names and surnames are their official ones.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by CaptainFM1: 2:09pm On Dec 01, 2023
So you prefer Ajanlekoko?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Queengee: 2:16pm On Dec 01, 2023
kenben:
A person's name is not your business and should not be your problem. Nobody came to this world for anybody. Enjoy your name, respect boundaries and mind your business!

Na them be this
Kenneth Benjamin
Lol

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by gotnel: 2:18pm On Dec 01, 2023
Your name is your identity. Its very sad when your name can not really identify your origin.
Colonialism and religion influence are some reason some people are bearing names that totally have no sense of identification.
Some people are claiming that when you bear your native name, it will be used against you in certain ways. I totally disagree .
When you move around the world, you will see that names are often seen as a cultural medium.
I

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Justiceleague1: 2:22pm On Dec 01, 2023
Burob:

Still far better than mufutaus
Mumuni
Taofeek
Tajudeen
Kabiru grin

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by WorldRichest: 2:24pm On Dec 01, 2023
immortalcrown:
Some are descendants of the colonial masters. Some were brainwashed by abusers of religion to believe their native names attract misfortunes. Only a very few of them actually have despicable natives names.

It's same as bearing Abdullahi Abubakar
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Sleekfingers: 2:25pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:

Seriously, where are they from? I remember we give names from our dialects. Some people have English names but only as first names or preferred ones. Their ‘native names’ dominate all of their official documents. In the given examples, those English names and surnames are their official ones.

Slavery mentality

The foolishness of most Africans, especially the blacks is incurable. They hate answering their native names, embrace strange religions
and hate or can't properly speak their languages. But are happy speaking their master language.
Battling with identity crisis. They can't speak their native language properly, even cant speak their master language properly. Confused race

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Sleekfingers: 2:29pm On Dec 01, 2023
ShoeGetSize:
What about those who answer MOOhamad, Suleiman, Mustapha etc? Are they also slaves of colonial masters?

Yes, they are slavery names. Mohammed, aisha, bill, hakeem, Rashid etc

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by correctguy101(m): 2:38pm On Dec 01, 2023
Resetinc:
Colo-Mentality

Kolo-mentality

U bin say u b colonialu man
U don b slave before before
Dem don release u now
But you never releazi ursef

Dunno if I got d lyrics right. But Baba Fela's reasoning sounds reasonable to this ancestor..

Na Africa we dey o make una hear.. Kolo-mentality hear

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Angelfrost(m): 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2023
Mayeldah:

So what's the difference between them and those that bears Mohammed, Rihanat, Paul, matthew and the rest arabic and bible names? They are all foreign names

They are all the same pathetic lots, confused about their identities.

One foreign name is understandable, but first and last names foreign?!! Nah! Makes no sense.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by modernWays: 2:39pm On Dec 01, 2023
Procashtips:

How come the Caucasians don't do neutral names?

They do, especially from other cultures among them. Use Google to find out.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Procashtips(m): 2:42pm On Dec 01, 2023
modernWays:

They do, especially from other cultures among them. Use Google to find out.

You said other cultures among them.

So is this same with what we do here?

You guys won't even answer another tribe's name within your country.

So how's this same with the question I asked?

Seen a briton answering Segun before or a french being called Mulema?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Elliotwaveforec: 2:43pm On Dec 01, 2023
Like Abdulrasheed Wasiu Sulaiman!

Very senseless combination

Brainwashed people.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Procashtips(m): 2:43pm On Dec 01, 2023
modernWays:

You are so right, having a neutral name give you an edge anywhere in the world.

Besides, Nigerians like making big things out of nothing. Europeans and Americans too bears names from other continents, and no one feel inferior about it.

African names?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Agasco2020(m): 2:46pm On Dec 01, 2023
Acidosis:
You want them to bear Ayo, Chinedu, and Adamu so you can use tribalism to finish their destiny?

If I have my way, I will avoid all native names from Nigeria's major tribes (Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa).

A Mark John is more likely to get a University admission from any Southwestern University than a Chinedu. A Jenifer Confidence is also more likely to get a job in Igboland than a Nurudeen Ayoola.

Y'all pathetic decendants of racists and losers will preach one thing and do another.
The writer is a tribal bigot who cares about where you come from rather than the person. Kokonut heads everywhere. What does English name have to do with someone personality? I am not proud of been a Nigerian in the first place talk more of giving my children any Nigerian name.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Elliotwaveforec: 2:47pm On Dec 01, 2023
ShoeGetSize:
What about those who answer MOOhamad, Suleiman, Mustapha etc? Are they also slaves of colonial masters?

They're slaves to Arabs!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Misterone: 2:50pm On Dec 01, 2023
Hakeem66:
why not bear their fathers native name instead of the white man's name.
because they have been brainwashed by the religion. They believe anything native is diabolical.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Gamesmart: 2:52pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:

They are from lost, half-wit families.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Procashtips(m): 2:53pm On Dec 01, 2023
oglalasioux:

True. During the elections there's a place I hang out owned by a Yoruba woman. Most of her customers are Yoruba and I thanked God they know me by my English name. No sane Igbo man with native name dare enter that joint. Even if you show evidence that you are APC, you'll still be branded obedient/ipob.

They knew, they didn't just care.

Most Yorubas don't bear foreign names, so seeing someone bearing such around them automatically makes them curious. They must have researched you and knew your origin.

Forget anything else, they knew.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by modernWays: 2:53pm On Dec 01, 2023
Procashtips:

You said other cultures among them.

So is this same with what we do here?

You guys won't even answer another tribe's name within your country.

So how's this same with the question I asked?

Seen a briton answering Segun before or a french being called Mulema?

I said ESPECIALLY among them. There are many Caucasians bearing south American, Australia and India names.

No one will do that for Africa, until your continent re-write her history and be among meaningful countries in the world. People borrow names, not because of their meanings or origins but because of the value attached to it. Besides, it is human nature to associate with success or the best, you don't expect people to chose/borrow names from poverty striken societies over a well recognised societies in the world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Gamesmart: 2:55pm On Dec 01, 2023
advanceDNA:

South south pple....
My bunkmate in school bears Daniel david

South South and Middle-belt people.

In South South, you can maybe minus Ibibio and Ijaw people.

In Middle-belt, the Muslim ones are particular lost forever with their useless Arab names; just like Hausa people are lost. But the Christians in the Middle-Belt are also almost as useless now.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Procashtips(m): 2:56pm On Dec 01, 2023
Obama didn't have to change his name to fit into whatever foreign narrative some of you are painting.

Same with Wole Soyinka
Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Nnamdi Azikiwe

And a host of others.

You do not have value, hence the need to look for oyinbo name just to feel valued and useful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Kingrshd3: 2:56pm On Dec 01, 2023
immortalcrown:
Some are descendants of the colonial masters. Some were brainwashed by abusers of religion to believe their native names attract misfortunes. Only a very few of them actually have despicable natives names.

God bless u ..

Brainwash all in the name of religion 🤔
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by PEACE2023: 2:57pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:

Nigerians thought that good name can make a good child

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Procashtips(m): 2:58pm On Dec 01, 2023
modernWays:

I said ESPECIALLY among them. There are many Caucasians bearing south American, Australia and India names.

No one will do that for Africa, until your continent re-write her history and be among meaningful countries in the world. People borrow names, not because of their meanings or origins but because of the value attached to it. Besides, it is human nature to associate with success or the best, you don't expect people to chose/borrow names from poverty striken societies over a well recognised societies in the world.

Have you seen any bearing your African names?

How successful are people in South America, India and the likes you mentioned?

Those bearing the names above have links to these continents (mixed parenthood)

Seen any without DNA affiliation bearing these names except for Nigerians worshipping foreign names?

Rewriting your whatever history starts from embracing your identity.

Who are you if you are asked?

Are you what the colonizers tagged you or you're what your forefathers called you?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by AbujaLagos: 2:59pm On Dec 01, 2023
Ask South-South people
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by enemyofprogress: 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2023
Born slaves

Na you know why police no catch you fa🤷🤷 enjoyment wan kee us for cell Today na DPO birthday

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Obviouslyblunt: 3:10pm On Dec 01, 2023
eepeepook:
Yes. At least one will know their origin.
rather than focusing on people’s origin, focus on what they can offer and what they currently are. Origins bring about tribalism
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by Lovelyn451(f): 3:11pm On Dec 01, 2023
What of yoruba pipo that bear sanchez , dunno whether they re from Mexico...hehehe
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have These Kinds Of Names? by eepeepook: 3:13pm On Dec 01, 2023
Obviouslyblunt:
rather than focusing on people’s origin, focus on what they can offer and what they currently are. Origins bring about tribalism
…or they bring about a curiosity for one’s culture, geographical region and customs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Give Me A Child And Get 250k, Twins 500k / Four Sisters Get Matching Tattoos / Help! My Wife Wanna Leave Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.